Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paleo Diet

Started by ldfergu, February 14, 2013, 10:59:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ldfergu

Meat, Veggies, Nutts & Seeds, Some fruit, Little starch and NO Sugar.

Been on this since new years and am convinced its the way to go.  Reduced body fat and improved attitude are the things I've noticed the most.  Its pretty easy to follow as well, no portioning or measuring.  Hardest part for me was/is cutting out sugar.  Fruit is a good replacement.

Anyone else on it?

CallThemHawgs!

I have done it, sugar was the hardest without question. Bad carbs like bread were easy. I had major problems with carb intake from veggies & fruit though.

To get my daily requirement of carbs I was shoveling in literally bags of spinach each day. It can get a bit unfeasible sometimes.

As with everything, I have found moderation is key and what I am happiest with.

kibster

I was talking to a friend about this tonight.  He has been on it for over half a year and swear by it.  He has dropped almost 35 lbs without really trying and feels great. 

I am about to go on vacation, but I think I am a going to try it for the month of June to see how I do on it.  Seems like the hardest thing for me will be giving up beans.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

DOGALUM

Wife and I just got the paperwork in the mail.  The sugar part worries me. Everyone update as we go.

(Not starting until june though).
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

clutch

Quote from: DOGALUM on May 16, 2013, 12:48:02 am
Wife and I just got the paperwork in the mail.  The sugar part worries me. Everyone update as we go.

(Not starting until june though).

If I were to do this diet the sugar part would be the easiest thing for me. I'm not a sugar eater anyways. The hardest part for me would be grains.

Huckleberry Pig

I actually wanted to start this as well.  I Have heard nothing but good things about it.  The grains won't be hard for me, but the sugar part will lol.  I am actually ready to start on Monday if anyone would like to join me.

No matter what diet I go on, I always allow myself a cheat day once a week - normally Saturday or Sunday.  Gotta enjoy a burger or something every now and then!

DOGALUM

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on May 16, 2013, 08:56:15 am
I actually wanted to start this as well.  I Have heard nothing but good things about it.  The grains won't be hard for me, but the sugar part will lol.  I am actually ready to start on Monday if anyone would like to join me.

No matter what diet I go on, I always allow myself a cheat day once a week - normally Saturday or Sunday.  Gotta enjoy a burger or something every now and then!
paleo has a cheat day.  But its called "reward day".

twistitup

May 16, 2013, 09:25:44 am #7 Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:51:29 am by twistitup
I say do things that can be kept up long term. If you can do this 'diet' for life, go for it. If you don't think it's possible to keep it long term - don't do it.

Lifestyle changes work best. Simple portion control & calorie reduction is straightforward, and it works for the long term. Burning calories through exercise will speed up the process.

'Diets' just seem so short sided.....
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

kibster

Quote from: twistitup on May 16, 2013, 09:25:44 am
I say do things that can be kept up long term. If you don't his 'diet' for life, go for it. If you don't think it's possible to keep it long term - don't do it.

Lifestyle changes work best. Simple portion control & calorie reduction is straightforward, and it works for the long term. Burning calories through exercise will speed up the process.

'Diets' just seem so short sided.....

I emailed my friend about it asking him some more questions and he has been doing it for about a year now.  He said he was really strict for the first couple of months and did great.  He did starting eating a few carbs after that because he got big into weight lifting and found that he needed some. 

I think I am going to try to do in starting in June.

I think the hardest thing for me will be no legumes.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

RazrRila99

The hardest for me is going to be the no dairy - I LOVE my chocolate milk and cheese. 

Ive thought about doing this, might give it more thought going forward. 

kibster

Quote from: Cole1976 on May 16, 2013, 11:23:17 am
The hardest for me is going to be the no dairy - I LOVE my chocolate milk and cheese. 

Ive thought about doing this, might give it more thought going forward. 

Cheese...Cheese is going to be tough for me.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: kibster on May 16, 2013, 02:54:36 pm
Cheese...Cheese is going to be tough for me.

shoot i forgot about cheese... that will be tough. 

twist is definitely right in saying it needs to be a lifestyle change not just a diet.  well put. 

you also touched on another topic that america is terrible with... portion size.  we are so used to eating large portions from a young age we don't know what a normal portion size looks like! 

Especially at restaurants.  They give you tons of food.  If I'm out to eat, I will normally box up half of what I get because they serve such large portions.  One thing that helps is to drink a glass of water or two before meals.  It will help you not over-eat. 

Also, because of poor eating habits growing up, most of our bodies can't differentiate between being hungry and being thirsty.  Most of the time when you are hungry, you're actually just dehydrated.  I try to drink 40-60oz of water throughout the day.  20-30 before lunch and 20-30 after.  I can tell a noticable difference.  Not as hungry throughout the day and even when I eat less for my meals, I still feel full. 

I am a huge fan of the mio fit's as well, just to add a little bit of flavor.  They are cheap and last a long time, I highly suggest them.

Iamphatman

I have been on a 75% paleo diet for about four months and along with crossfit I've dropped 35 lbs on it. After I did lots of research, it's actually fairly common for "paleo" folks to eat some dairy. I do eat some dairy, mostly a bit of cheese or goat cheese. I actually need the dairy because I feel like crap when I don't get a bit of it for the calcium and protein. I also need the live culture in yogurt to keep me from having GI issues while eating paleo. I really like it. It's easy to follow, even when eating out. I actually had a reward day this weekend and had some bread, and it tasted like floury doughy nastiness. Didnt really enjoy it, and it was home made bread  I really wanted to enjoy it but it just didnt satisfy me like bread used to. I'm diabetic and its also got me on track to stop having to take meds to control my sugars.

kibster

Quote from: Iamphatman on May 19, 2013, 08:54:52 pm
I have been on a 75% paleo diet for about four months and along with crossfit I've dropped 35 lbs on it. After I did lots of research, it's actually fairly common for "paleo" folks to eat some dairy. I do eat some dairy, mostly a bit of cheese or goat cheese. I actually need the dairy because I feel like crap when I don't get a bit of it for the calcium and protein. I also need the live culture in yogurt to keep me from having GI issues while eating paleo. I really like it. It's easy to follow, even when eating out. I actually had a reward day this weekend and had some bread, and it tasted like floury doughy nastiness. Didnt really enjoy it, and it was home made bread  I really wanted to enjoy it but it just didnt satisfy me like bread used to. I'm diabetic and its also got me on track to stop having to take meds to control my sugars.

What makes it 75%?   What you eat that isn't on the diet, or often you adhere to the diet?

twistitup

Quote from: Iamphatman on May 19, 2013, 08:54:52 pm
I have been on a 75% paleo diet for about four months and along with crossfit I've dropped 35 lbs on it. After I did lots of research, it's actually fairly common for "paleo" folks to eat some dairy. I do eat some dairy, mostly a bit of cheese or goat cheese. I actually need the dairy because I feel like crap when I don't get a bit of it for the calcium and protein. I also need the live culture in yogurt to keep me from having GI issues while eating paleo. I really like it. It's easy to follow, even when eating out.

Your 'custom' Paleo is easy to follow. A strict Paleo diet would be tough.

Iamphatman

Quote from: kibster on May 19, 2013, 11:01:44 pm
What makes it 75%?   What you eat that isn't on the diet, or often you adhere to the diet?

What I eat that isn't on the diet.  I add dairy and still drink the occasional soda. 

Iamphatman

Quote from: twistitup on May 20, 2013, 07:36:27 am
Your 'custom' Paleo is easy to follow. A strict Paleo diet would be tough.

Well, all I would have to do is cut out dairy and occasional soda to be fully paleo.  The reason I like it is because you can customize it and still eat a basically paleo diet.  It really isn't that difficult, as it's basically just meat and veggies.  I get weird looks at restaurants when I have to customize meals, but to me it's not too bad.  Again though, even people that write books on paleo discuss adding dairy to your diet and still being paleo.  It's not uncommon in "paleo circles" for lack of a better term.  You are right though, being super strict about it wouldn't be easy.  I guess the reason I like it is because you don't have to be super strict to follow the fundamentals of it and see results. 

kibster

Anyone started recently?   My wife and I started last Monday and have been going strong (at least I have)  She loved breads and sweets.   We had one cheat dish, but that was only because we took my father out for an early father's day and he wanted cheese fries as an appetizer.  So if you are going to cheat, go big.

DOGALUM

Quote from: kibster on June 11, 2013, 09:13:37 pm
Anyone started recently?   My wife and I started last Monday and have been going strong (at least I have)  She loved breads and sweets.   We had one cheat dish, but that was only because we took my father out for an early father's day and he wanted cheese fries as an appetizer.  So if you are going to cheat, go big.
We started on the 1st.   Dude.....it has been tough.  The kids are not on it so there is still some non paleo food around the house.   We have been trying different things to see what we like.  I like the almonds, don't mind the baked goods made with coconut flour and almond flour.   Not a fan of the cauliflower rice (cauliflower through a food processor), but am enjoying all the meat.  (now I know how she has always felt :)  )   

All in all, I don't mind it.....and I do indeed feel much better.  I also quit smoking last month.....so I'm sure that has something to do with feeling better as well.     

kibster

We haven't tried the cauliflower rice yet, but it is on the list. My wife also has trouble fining stuff she can take for lunch.

DOGALUM

Quote from: kibster on June 12, 2013, 09:16:35 am
We haven't tried the cauliflower rice yet, but it is on the list. My wife also has trouble fining stuff she can take for lunch.
It looked and smelled good.  And I like cauliflower....but when I was looking at it I expected something different.  The first spoonful was nothing more than a mouth full of cauliflower.  Again....I like it.....but it's like taking a big piece of pizza, putting it in your mouth and tasting carrots.   

CabotHog87

So what would a full day's meals look like? And when you say "no sugars" that just means no processed sugars right?

DOGALUM

Quote from: CabotHog87 on June 14, 2013, 09:25:48 am
So what would a full day's meals look like? And when you say "no sugars" that just means no processed sugars right?
This morning we had some smoothies.  (Banana, strawberry, kale (ugh), some sort of seeds, almonds, and maybe something else)  also had some muffins made with either almond flour or coconut flour, and bacon.

For lunch, I have some almonds and pecans, a chicken breast fried in coconut oil with some sort of almond/coconut flour breading and spices, and water.

For dinner tonight, I have a roast in the crock pot that has carrots and onions cooking with it.  Don't know what side dish we will have with it.  Probably some sort of salad I am guessing.

And I am drinking one liter of water per day for every 50 lbs of body weight.   So my requirement is 4 1/2 - 5 liters a day.   Does wonders for suppressing your food urges and keeps your pee crystal clear. 

Must admit though that I am looking forward to "reward day" either tomorrow or Sunday.  It is scheduled for tomorrow but we may change it to Sunday to accommodate family coming.    All in all.......I enjoy the nuts and the meat.   The fruit is good. Veggies are good.   Would love a cheeseburger and fries....but am feeling great.   Quit smoking, eating paleo......only lost 9 lbs so far....but that has all been fat.   

CabotHog87

Sounds pretty awesome and sounds like you're doing a good job so far. Keep it up.

DOGALUM

Quote from: CabotHog87 on June 14, 2013, 09:57:48 am
Sounds pretty awesome and sounds like you're doing a good job so far. Keep it up.
meh.....it's just my happy face that I am putting on.   What I wouldn't give for a trip to Monte Ne Chicken, a 20 oz Red Bull, a banana split from Braums, and a big ass pizza.    (not to mention a pack of Marlboro Lights)   Mmmm.....these are good almonds and water.

kibster

Quote from: DOGALUM on June 14, 2013, 10:10:06 am
meh.....it's just my happy face that I am putting on.   What I wouldn't give for a trip to Monte Ne Chicken, a 20 oz Red Bull, a banana split from Braums, and a big ass pizza.    (not to mention a pack of Marlboro Lights)   Mmmm.....these are good almonds and water.

Ass pizza?  To each his own.

Yesterday:

Breakfast, banana paleo pancakes with blueberry compote and bacon.

Mid morning snack:  apple ginger scone.

Lunch. Chicken Fajita salad

Afternoon snack:  nut granola and baby carrotS

Dinner. 14oz ribeye, salad and broccoli.

Iamphatman

Today I had two boiled eggs and two pieces of bacon for breakfast. Lunch was spinach salad with grilled chicken, almonds, and home made honey mustard dressing. Dinner was a pork loin chop with roasted squash, zucchini, and asparagus.  Snacked on an avocado with a bit of salt and pepper. 

twistitup

Quote from: Iamphatman on June 14, 2013, 10:43:10 pm
Today I had two boiled eggs and two pieces of bacon for breakfast. Lunch was spinach salad with grilled chicken, almonds, and home made honey mustard dressing. Dinner was a pork loin chop with roasted squash, zucchini, and asparagus.  Snacked on an avocado with a bit of salt and pepper. 

You keep that up and you won't be phatman for long.....

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Iamphatman on June 14, 2013, 10:43:10 pm

nice job phatman!

Iamphatman

Thanks guys! I'm down 40lbs in a little over three months with crossfit and paleo. It's really working for me. Today's menu was:

Frittata with ham and zucchini for breakfast. Lunch was grilled chicken with mashed turnips and a small salad. Dinner was eggplant roll ups with tomato sauce stuffed with strips of grilled sirloin steak (leftovers) and some spaghetti squash.  Snacked on almonds and had some cantaloupe from my garden.

pigture perfect

I have problems with Gout and Kidney Stones. I've researched different diets because those two ailments are being caused by opposing things. I'm having to pick my poison. It would be tough for me to stay on this one.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

kibster

My wife and I have been doing this since early June.  We allow one cheat dish a week and one dessert a week.

As of today, I am down 34lbs and and my wife down around 18lbs. 

Hogfly

I don't really do a specific nutritional diet (beyond intermittent fasting which works really well for me), but my wife (who is a vegetarian) eliminated lactose and most gluten from her diet. It's been amazing for her. Since she's vegetarian, she has to go heavy with legumes (lentils usually) and quinoa, but she does a lot of juicing as well.

She works out like a fiend and has always been fit, but this change in her diet has really taken her to the next level body wise and helped her shape a few spots that she's always struggled with (butt, abs, thighs).

As a side effect, her complexion is much better. She's always been on any number of medicines and washes her dermatologists prescribe to her, but she's off of all of them and her complexion is amazing.

Polecat

I try to keep a modified version of this going as much as possible. I really try to avoid carbs and eat a lot of meat and veggies. Alcohol is a big stumbling block for me. Getting ready after new years to go alcohol and sugar free for 21 days.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Polecat on December 26, 2013, 11:17:20 am
I try to keep a modified version of this going as much as possible. I really try to avoid carbs and eat a lot of meat and veggies. Alcohol is a big stumbling block for me. Getting ready after new years to go alcohol and sugar free for 21 days.

sheesh!  that takes commitment.  I just drink whiskey/wine, don't like beer so it works out for me.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Hogfly on December 14, 2013, 12:41:43 pm
I don't really do a specific nutritional diet (beyond intermittent fasting which works really well for me), but my wife (who is a vegetarian) eliminated lactose and most gluten from her diet. It's been amazing for her. Since she's vegetarian, she has to go heavy with legumes (lentils usually) and quinoa, but she does a lot of juicing as well.

She works out like a fiend and has always been fit, but this change in her diet has really taken her to the next level body wise and helped her shape a few spots that she's always struggled with (butt, abs, thighs).

As a side effect, her complexion is much better. She's always been on any number of medicines and washes her dermatologists prescribe to her, but she's off of all of them and her complexion is amazing.

heard of this intermittent fasting, what exactly is it?  Just eat between noon and 8pm everyday?  Obviously eat healthy

superior_wang

one thing that works well for me is the no carbs after 6 pm thing.... just protein , shakes etc....

Hogfly

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on December 28, 2013, 04:26:13 pm
heard of this intermittent fasting, what exactly is it?  Just eat between noon and 8pm everyday?  Obviously eat healthy

Different people do it different ways. Lots of people claim various holistic type health benefits to it as well.  For me, it's just an easy way to keep my weekly caloric intake close to my BMR. I usually fast two or three days a week. If I eat supper on Monday, I won't eat again until Tuesday evening. The Newly popular paleo/warrior method of doing it (lots of cross fitters do this) is to give yourself a feeding period from say 4-10pm and only eat during that time. I think the paleo theory is more about the "holistic" aspects mentioned earlier (simulates hunter/gatherer feeding rhythm, encourages working out in a fasted state, etc).

Anyway, there's quite a bit" of information out there. This is a nice blog post that covers different fasting methods and theories.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-fast-part-six-choosing-a-method/#axzz2oxkXTnze

Polecat

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on December 28, 2013, 04:21:56 pm
sheesh!  that takes commitment.  I just drink whiskey/wine, don't like beer so it works out for me.

Yeah I think I might try to sneak a little vodka into my water bottle on the weekends during the 21 days. So long as the ol lady doesn't find out ha
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Hogfly on December 30, 2013, 06:57:54 am
Different people do it different ways. Lots of people claim various holistic type health benefits to it as well.  For me, it's just an easy way to keep my weekly caloric intake close to my BMR. I usually fast two or three days a week. If I eat supper on Monday, I won't eat again until Tuesday evening. The Newly popular paleo/warrior method of doing it (lots of cross fitters do this) is to give yourself a feeding period from say 4-10pm and only eat during that time. I think the paleo theory is more about the "holistic" aspects mentioned earlier (simulates hunter/gatherer feeding rhythm, encourages working out in a fasted state, etc).

Anyway, there's quite a bit" of information out there. This is a nice blog post that covers different fasting methods and theories.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-fast-part-six-choosing-a-method/#axzz2oxkXTnze

cool, thanks for the link.  I read up on one that is just eating between 12 and 8 every day then "fasting" for 16 hours.  Aka skipping breakfast haha.  I may give it a shot

kibster

I gave up breakfast for the most part. Never been a breakfast food fan and always thought it weighed me down. Now at 9 every morning I have a banana, few baby carrots and a few almonds. That generally keep me filled until lunch.

titsonboar

Great lifestyle change. You will lose weight and feel better.

ldfergu

a year later and I kinda fell off the bandwagon a bit but still eat healthier foods overall.  I would be pretty much be back on it with eliminating bread and the occasional sugar fix..  Bread is pretty tough.  I don't have it everyday but on a weekly basis its definitely in there a time or two..

Huckleberry Pig

Anyone tried a juice called "Daily Greens".  It is a 16oz bottle of pressed veggies and fruits (mostly veggies).  Has 9 pounds of fruit and vegetables in each bottle.  I have started having one a day and drink half of it for breakfast along with a banana or something just to have some fiber.  Drink the rest between lunch and dinner.  They don't taste too bad and are by far the healthiest juice I've come across. 

Only problem is they are expensive... $7 a bottle.  But being that I split it up between 3 meals it's really not too bad.  And no way I could get that many veggies into my daily diet without it.  Honestly feel like it keeps me more energized throughout the day but could just be the placebo effect, who knows. 

kibster

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on January 22, 2014, 04:09:41 pm
Anyone tried a juice called "Daily Greens".  It is a 16oz bottle of pressed veggies and fruits (mostly veggies).  Has 9 pounds of fruit and vegetables in each bottle.  I have started having one a day and drink half of it for breakfast along with a banana or something just to have some fiber.  Drink the rest between lunch and dinner.  They don't taste too bad and are by far the healthiest juice I've come across. 

Only problem is they are expensive... $7 a bottle.  But being that I split it up between 3 meals it's really not too bad.  And no way I could get that many veggies into my daily diet without it.  Honestly feel like it keeps me more energized throughout the day but could just be the placebo effect, who knows. 

Before I got half way through, I was wondering about the price.  LOL.  Where can you buy it at?  I would be interested in giving it a try

panhandlepig

Its made by Bolthouse Farms and they have a whole line of different juices and smoothies.

I see them in any regular grocery store usually in the produce section.

They are pretty good and here they are more in the $3.00-$4.00 range.

I keep them in the fridge for when I'm too lazy to juice fruits or veggies for myself.

Hogfly

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on January 22, 2014, 04:09:41 pm

My wife drinks Native Nectar, which is made locally up here in Fayetteville.
http://nativenectarjuice.com/

They're $10 a bottle, so don't feel too bad about the price of yours. Like you, though, it replaces her breakfast and lunch. When you consider that many people spend $10+ at a fast food joint for unhealthy equivalents of those meals, then it's a little easier to justify.

I drink them on occasion, and they're tasty. It's probably placebo effect, but I generally get an overall "good" feeling when I drink them as well. Increases in mood and energy.

hvsupastar

Been hearing some rumblings about this and it doesn't seem too far off of what I preach (not necessarily what I practice). I'm thinking about giving this a shot for 12 weeks and upping my cardio so I can be in fairly decent shape come spring time.

I see some of you have modified it to fit your needs, so let me ask has everyone 1) eliminated simple sugars 2) eliminated dairy? Those seem to be the two kickers for me.

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

RazrRila99

Great thread, need to get more serious about this. 

I didnt have a problem with dairy, its the simple sugars and just knowing what to pair with what that gets me.  I dont get near enough fat in my meals, chicken and veggies just dont carry that much fat.  Ive started cooking with coconut oil to help, adds a very pleasant taste.  I normally try to cook on Sundays for the week but by the time its the day to eat it doesnt sound as good. 

Meal plan help is what I need most when it comes to this. 

hvsupastar

About meal cooking day, if you choose this approach, how do you go about cooking enough veggies for the week. I'm a little inexperienced on veggies, as we grew up eating out of a can. I'd like to start cooking more organic but I don't really know how. I guess saute in coconut oil would be pretty healthy to go about a lot of it.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln