Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Size Matters

Started by Brand X Hog Fan, November 24, 2012, 04:34:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brand X Hog Fan

We need someone that can fill up the middle of the key from time to time without getting pushed around.

Sign me,

Captain Obvious
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

The_Iceman

We are addin Harris, Portis, and Kingsley in 2013. Size is coming.

For now, we will have work with what we got.

Brand X Hog Fan

Yep. Can't come soon enough. Like the commentator said last night, Powell will be seeing 7 footers in his sleep :D!

"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

SWD26

Yes, we are definitely hurting for size. Many said we wouldn't miss Abron this year but at least he was not afraid to get down low and fight a little. By the way, Devonta Abron is now starting for TCU and improving every game.

Like the Iceman said, reinforcements are coming. If we can somehow just hold our own this year and improve in the areas that we should, we will be a good team next year.

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

mizzouman

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 24, 2012, 07:13:44 am
We are addin Harris, Portis, and Kingsley in 2013. Size is coming.

For now, we will have work with what we got.
Measurables of these kids, please. I'm too lazy to look.

SWD26

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on November 25, 2012, 10:15:48 am
Heart matters.

Very true. That's like what I saying a few posts ago, there are PF/C all across the Nation who were not even rated coming out of High-School yet, while lacking over-all talent, they are able to block out and get position rebounding the ball. Personally, I had rather have one of these types as some hyped up four or five star player who has talent but is too scared to get in the game and use it.

SWD26

Quote from: mizzouman on November 25, 2012, 10:18:32 am
Measurables of these kids, please. I'm too lazy to look.

Roughly, Kingsley and Portis around 6'9 220. Harris around 6'6 230.

Pragmatic PiG

Yeah next year will always be better

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on November 25, 2012, 11:46:16 am
Yeah next year will always be better

In terms of size, next year will be.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoginClinton on November 25, 2012, 04:35:29 pm
Yep, I bragged on Abron last year when many people were glad to see him go. What he did for us didn't show up on the stat sheet, but it's showing up now.

Trading Clarke for Abron was a step up for Arkansas.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on November 25, 2012, 10:15:48 am
Heart matters.

I believe this team has heart but is still lacking in maturity to a degree. Maybe it is just that they don't have that many games together yet. The small ball was excellent yesterday in the first half. We still have not developed the killer instinct on the mid court trap and I am not sure what the problem is there except maybe we don't have a beast to handle the defensive paint in case the press gets beaten. Like I said, I am hoping that the pain endured in these early tough nonconference games will pay bid dividends in the conference run.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: HoginClinton on November 25, 2012, 05:22:47 pm
Abron was our strong/physical big man last year. Who is our strong/physical big man this year?

BJ Young ;). Fearless!

Germx

HogInThaGrove

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoginClinton on November 25, 2012, 05:22:47 pm
Abron was our strong/physical big man last year. Who is our strong/physical big man this year?

Abron was a non-factor for us last year for the majority of SEC play.

For all of his toughness, Abron averaged 4 rebounds a game last year.
Clarke is giving us 7 and Powell 5.

jamie72921

Hasn't the coaching staff addressed the need for size in the current recruiting class?
Bless your heart

iluvmyslute89

i hope portis is working on that hook shot he showcased at the top 100 camp. kareem abdul milked it for 38000 points in his career. its a high percentage shot and if you master it at 6-9, its virtually undefendable. portis would be wise  to master it with both hands. portis has that same unique type of skillset kareem had when he arrived at ucla. makes me wonder if he maybe modeled his game after kareem. he also reminds me of garnett when he shoots.

Katherinejjm

I love this thread already.