Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Hogville-born, realistic College Football Playoff system that works

Started by Michael D Huff AIA, January 05, 2018, 12:31:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

steveaustin69

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 01:13:06 pm
hiring Chad Morris was a start.  now if he can get a quality DC, some recruits to fit his system etc.

You're kidding, right?  All you did was bitch and moan when he was hired.  Thought he was terrible and not worth your excitement?  What changed?  Did you actually do some research?

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2018, 01:16:03 pm
Like damn near anyone. 

*ULM/Toledo/Coastal Carolina flashbacks*

Remember when a Vandy, Kentucky, and both Mississippi schools could be checked off in the W column before we even played? I miss those days.

Wildhog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 05, 2018, 01:19:52 pm
You're kidding, right?  All you did was bitch and moan when he was hired.  Thought he was terrible and not worth your excitement?  What changed?  Did you actually do some research?

A few weeks passed.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 05, 2018, 01:15:46 pm
I don't have to be "scared" of someone to admit they're better than me at something.

For the past several years, Oklahoma State has had a better football program than we have.
and do we not want to be better?

the CF landscape changes every year.  some move up, some move down.  if you aren't getting better, you are getting worse. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 01:22:01 pm

the CF landscape changes every year.  some move up, some move down.  if you aren't getting better, you are getting worse. 

And for the last six years, we've gotten worse.  Here's hoping that trend reverses in 2018.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 01:22:01 pm

And to be better, let's add teams who are already way better than us into our own conference.

#logic

PorkSoda

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 05, 2018, 01:19:52 pm
yeah, pretty much.  I admit I jumped the gun just looking at his prior year record.

he wasn't who I wanted at the time, but after the dust settled and I got to know what he was about, I'm confident that he was actually the best of the bunch that we were considering.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Adam Stokes

There was less griping when there were only two teams going to the final than now that there are 4. I'm fine with things the way they are.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 01:24:01 pm
yeah, pretty much.  I admit I jumped the gun just looking at his prior year record.

he wasn't who I wanted at the time, but after the dust settled and I got to know what he was about, I'm confident that he was actually the best of the bunch that we were considering.

Hell I'm still not sold on him.  But he's the guy and will be for at least the next 4-5 years, so I'll support him 'til he gives me a reason not to.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2018, 01:23:30 pm
And for the last six years, we've gotten worse.  Here's hoping that trend reverses in 2018.
seems like the program is making the investment to attempt to do so.

fingers crossed.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2018, 01:24:47 pm
Hell I'm still not sold on him.  But he's the guy and will be for at least the next 4-5 years, so I'll support him 'til he gives me a reason not to.
getting a good DC (and I think Chavis is good) will be a start.  he has energy, and he wants to build up Arkansas HS football along with the UofA, so if he can deliver, his effect on the state should be lasting.

IronHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 05, 2018, 12:41:38 pm
Beat me to it. That's a lottttta games for teams who make it far, and could screw over other programs by shortening the regular season.

8-team playoff works, in my opinion.

5 P5 champions
1 G5 champion (highest ranked)
2 at-large

2 at large can be 2nd in SEC west so Bama gets in and ND so the media can be happy
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

steveaustin69

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 01:24:01 pm

Thanks for admitting you are a joke, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

PorkSoda

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 05, 2018, 01:27:11 pm
Thanks for admitting you are a joke, and shouldn't be taken seriously.
lol, that's good advice.  I try not to take things too seriously.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 01:26:38 pm
getting a good DC (and I think Chavis is good) will be a start.  he has energy, and he wants to build up Arkansas HS football along with the UofA, so if he can deliver, his effect on the state should be lasting.

I think Chavis is collecting one last check before retiring.  Hopefully he brings in some stud recruiters.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2018, 01:28:38 pm
I think Chavis is collecting one last check before retiring.  Hopefully he brings in some stud recruiters.
prolly so, but he has the rings, he knows the SEC (more than just on the field stuff).  if we get 2-3 years out of him, I'll be happy. 

He should be able to recruit, or at the very least evaluate, since he obviously knows the kind of athletes needed to have a successful defense.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 01:31:40 pm
prolly so, but he has the rings, he knows the SEC (more than just on the field stuff).  if we get 2-3 years out of him, I'll be happy. 

He should be able to recruit, or at the very least evaluate, since he obviously knows the kind of athletes needed to have a successful defense.

I'm hoping name-recognition gets a foot in the door of some recruits that wouldn't otherwise be interested.

And that we hire Trooper and Ricepig gives him bags of cash to give to recruits,
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 01:09:00 pm
It's fine

Gets old watching Bama get do overs though

Need Ga to win and finish that off

I've asked you about 10 times, who should have gotten a "do over", because unless your claim is UCF should have been in, every team for that 4th spot had at least 1 loss.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Quote from: thebignasty on January 05, 2018, 12:39:12 pm
Adds 4 games to the eventual champions schedule.  If they play a conference title game, and 12 game regular season schedule, thats 17 games.  For this to be plausible, the regular season would need to be seriously chopped back, and the revenue loss from the 110 some odd programs that would end up only playing 10 games a season as a result likely precludes this being considered, IMO

Any Expansion of the playoffs in college football demand a roll back to 10 regular season games.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Wildhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 05, 2018, 01:51:31 pm

Any Expansion of the playoffs in college football demand a roll back to 10 regular season games.

Expand to 8.  Start the season a week earlier. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2018, 01:37:44 pm
I've asked you about 10 times, who should have gotten a "do over", because unless your claim is UCF should have been in, every team for that 4th spot had at least 1 loss.

Someone that won their conference or division

LSU shoulda been NC in 2011

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2018, 01:28:38 pm

He's at SS office right now

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 01:04:18 pm
if we can't compete, then what the heck are we doing here?

grow a pair.

I knew if kept looking I'd find something to agree about with you... +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hawghiggs

The BCS was the best playoff system for college football. The only issue with it was access for non-P5. But that could have been fixed by adding Cotton and Peach bowl to the rotation. Which they did after moving to a playoff.

31to6

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 05, 2018, 12:31:30 pm
5.  Using the Committee's rankings as seeding positions, you would get the following games. 

1 Clemson v 16 Toledo
4 Alabama v Boise St.
2 Oklahoma v 15 Troy
3 Georgia v 14 FAU
Nobody wants to see these games.

Unlike basketball, you are blowing an entire weekend on garbage games and the distance between these teams is huge.

You won't be able to get neutral sites, because nobody is going to host a game where 5,000 die hard Alabama fans travel to watch them strangle little bunny BSU to death for an hour.

FAU between the hedges in a playoff game? Stock up on body bags.

Sometimes, but not even every year, the G5 produces 1, maybe 2 teams that can stay on the same field with the best teams in NCAAF. Come up with a system that gives them a shot as "at large" and leave it at that.

I lean toward 8 with P5 auto-bids or 16 with the same and 11 at-large. Odds are you'll get one or two G5 each year in the top 16 and 1 every other year in the top-8, which is about right.

lakecityhog

Six teams seems to be the right number to me, regardless of where you set the cutoff the next two teams left out will probably have a legitimate argument for being as good as the last two teams that got in.

With 6 teams you only have to add 1 extra game, the #1 seed gets a bye and is in the bracket with #4 & #6 and the same for the #2 seed with #3 & #5. And NO, in my opinion winning your conference is not a guarantee of getting in. The simple fact is that the PAC-12 did not deserve to be in this year.

This year would have looked like this to me:
#1 Alabama----1 loss to a better team than Syracuse or Iowa State
#2 Oklahoma--1 loss and playing like a top dog late in the season
#3 Georgia----1 loss and a very good argument fro #1 or #2 seed
#4 Clemson---1 loss but looked weakest of the top 4 to me
#5 Ohio State--2 losses but beat Wisconsin heads up
#6 Wisconsin--1 loss and that was in conference championship game

Left out
Miami---Lost 38-3 in championship game
UCF---- Played a much weaker schedule than the top 6 teams and likely would not have went undefeated in the BIG 10 or ACC or SEC

Sanctified Swine

the Super 6....

5 - power 5 conference champs. This really heightens the importance of conference games ( 75% of the season)
1 - Highest Ranked Group of 5

Seed them from there, giving the top two a bye. This makes the whole season important and no "tanking games" if you have clinched a division championship already to gear up for the conference championship. It also would highly encourage highly ranked teams to schedule some challenge in non conference, so they would not risk losing the bye to a team that scheduled better.

This year it would have been...

Sugar Bowl - UCF v. Georgia
Rose Bowl  - USC v. Ohio St. (we know how that turned out)

Orange Bowl - Clemson v. Ohio St.
Fiesta Bowl - Georgia v. Oklahoma  OU's bye may have made a big difference here

Championship ?

lakecityhog

So you leave out the best team in the country, Alabama(and I HATE Bama) and another very fine team, Wisconsin to allow a G5 team and a terrible PAC-12 champion in??? Makes no sense what-so-ever!

What is the goal? To put the BEST teams in the tournament or to be PC???

IronHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 06, 2018, 07:58:21 pm
So you leave out the best team in the country, Alabama(and I HATE Bama) and another very fine team, Wisconsin to allow a G5 team and a terrible PAC-12 champion in??? Makes no sense what-so-ever!

What is the goal? To put the BEST teams in the tournament or to be PC???

Win it on the field

If you give do overs the NC remains mythical

lakecityhog

So because USC played in a crap conference and won it with 2 losses they "deserve" to be in???
Then they get DESTROYED in their bowl game by another 2 loss team. Yeah, they really deserve a shot at the title over a one loss Alabama who just beat the defending champion.

oldhawg

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 07, 2018, 11:16:47 am
So because USC played in a crap conference and won it with 2 losses they "deserve" to be in???
Then they get DESTROYED in their bowl game by another 2 loss team. Yeah, they really deserve a shot at the title over a one loss Alabama who just beat the defending champion.

Had Auburn beaten Georgia in the SEC championship game, they would have gotten into the playoffs as a two loss team (Clemson & LSU).

Just a reminder, Auburn lost their bowl game to a team from the American Athletic Conference, not a Power Five school.

lakecityhog

BUT, they didn't. The Auburn/Alabama is THE classic college rivalry and the winner is not always the better team simply due to the intense nature of the game. Plus Bama had so many injuries at that time.

It is really hard for anyone to argue about the position of Alabama when it comes to competing for the National Championship. As long as Saban is around they should be considered  "in" and have to play themselves "out". And again, I HATE ALABAMA!!!

The simple question is this, "Do you want to find the best team or give the other conferences a chance?" If the goal is to be "fair" to the Power 5 conferences, then by all means take the Power 5 champions and the best G5 team.

sickboy

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2018, 12:40:23 pm
I like it, for the most part.  An expanded playoff system works for every other sport, and it would work for CFB, too.

Literally, every other sport in this country has an expanded playoff.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 01:09:00 pm
It's fine

Gets old watching Bama get do overs though

Need Ga to win and finish that off

I don't see Georgia winning tomorrow night.  They simply don't have the elite QB play and the elite WR play that is a must against Alabama.

If Alabama wins tomorrow night, they better enjoy it.  Clemson won't forget that unusual Sugar Bowl loss and Clemson will have the name Alabama circled for the future.

Clemson is vowing that the best is yet to come.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/140203/after-disappointing-loss-clemson-vows-the-best-is-yet-to-come

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on January 07, 2018, 09:25:19 am

Win it on the field

If you give do overs the NC remains mythical

Again, define do over. When you are picking teams, which I hate btw, anyone with a loss or losses is getting a do over. They need a set way to win your way in.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bob slydell

What's so wrong with the current 4 team playoff that it needs to be completely overhauled to such a degree?
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

CDBHawg

8 teams.

5 conference champions. Highest ranked G5. 2 at large.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Bob Slydell on January 08, 2018, 08:39:29 am
What's so wrong with the current 4 team playoff that it needs to be completely overhauled to such a degree?

It's called a playoff. It needs to be one.

Name one other playoff that allows a team to not win their division or conference or both to be named league champion.

hogsanity

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 08, 2018, 09:28:12 am

Name one other playoff that allows a team to not win their division or conference or both to be named league champion.

NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA Basketball, FCS and lower division football.

CDBHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 08:32:51 am
Again, define do over. When you are picking teams, which I hate btw, anyone with a loss or losses is getting a do over. They need a set way to win your way in.

A do over as in not being your own conference's champion or even your division's champion, yet still, somehow, can be college football's champion.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bob Slydell on January 08, 2018, 08:39:29 am

There is nothing wrong with it, for what it is, except people are mad that Bama got in, same as last year when Ohio St got in under almost the exact same circumstances.

CDBHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 09:29:26 am
NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA Basketball, FCS and lower division football.

Please name me one Super Bowl winner that didn't win the conference. One MLB team that didn't win the AL or NL. NCAAAT gives auto bids to conference champs. As does FCS and lower division. NBA also always features the Eastern champ vs the Westetn champ.

bob slydell

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 08, 2018, 09:28:12 am

What team that didn't win their division or conference was named league champion?

If you want to argue that only league champions should be included, that has nothing do to with how many teams are involved.  4 teams is a playoff.  The semantics of how they are chosen may be an issue.  But not currently having a playoff in place just isn't correct and it doesn't necessitate adding 14 teams to the mix to fix perceived issues.  Really, it doesn't necessitate adding any teams to add the stipulation that only conference champions should be included. 

CDBHawg

Quote from: Bob Slydell on January 08, 2018, 09:35:25 am
What team that didn't win their division or conference was named league champion?

If you want to argue that only league champions should be included, that has nothing do to with how many teams are involved.  4 teams is a playoff.  The semantics of how they are chosen may be an issue.  But not currently having a playoff in place just isn't correct and it doesn't necessitate adding 14 teams to the mix to fix perceived issues.  Really, it doesn't necessitate adding any teams to add the stipulation that only conference champions should be included.

If Bama wins this year they will be. Auburn won the west. UGA won the SEC.

I have no issues with Bama being in, I just think the playoff should feature all the conference champs from the P5. Make them beat them on the field.

hogsanity

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 08, 2018, 09:29:57 am
A do over as in not being your own conference's champion or even your division's champion, yet still, somehow, can be college football's champion.

Look, I did not like the playoff when it was started as a knee jerk reaction to Bama/LSU in 2011. I said then if there was no set way to play your way in, then it really was not a playoff. But, if the goal is to get the best 4 teams in, then it is entirely possible that one of the best 4 teams will not have won their division or conference. I guess in stead of Bama we should have put in the Pac12 Champ or a Ohio St team that got stomped twice, including a 30+ pt rolling at 7-5 Iowa.

I liked the old days, pre BCS, it was just as definitive as what we have now, which is not really definitive at all.

bob slydell

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 08, 2018, 09:41:07 am
If Bama wins this year they will be. Auburn won the west. UGA won the SEC.

I have no issues with Bama being in, I just think the playoff should feature all the conference champs from the P5. Make them beat them on the field.

When was Bama named league champion?  You do know there is a vast difference between how the NFL and other pro sports are aligned versus NCAA football right?

Bama won their "conference" as you have said about the NFL by winning their half of the bracket.  It's no different than a wild card team in the NFL winning their half of the bracket and going to the SB.  The brackets in the NFL happen to be aligned a certain way that has no resemblance to CFB. 

CDBHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 09:43:16 am
Look, I did not like the playoff when it was started as a knee jerk reaction to Bama/LSU in 2011. I said then if there was no set way to play your way in, then it really was not a playoff. But, if the goal is to get the best 4 teams in, then it is entirely possible that one of the best 4 teams will not have won their division or conference. I guess in stead of Bama we should have put in the Pac12 Champ or a Ohio St team that got stomped twice, including a 30+ pt rolling at 7-5 Iowa.

I liked the old days, pre BCS, it was just as definitive as what we have now, which is not really definitive at all.

Make them earn it is all I'm saying.

5 conference champs.

G5 champ(highest ranked one or only if their an undefeated team)

2 at larges.

If anybody complains, you tell them you should've at least won your division.

hogsanity

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 08, 2018, 09:47:06 am
Make them earn it is all I'm saying.

5 conference champs.

G5 champ(highest ranked one or only if their an undefeated team)

2 at larges.

If anybody complains, you tell them you should've at least won your division.

So Bama would still have gotten in as an at large. Only difference is right now there are 4 at large teams since there is no criteria for winning your way in.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Bob Slydell on January 08, 2018, 09:46:45 am
When was Bama named league champion?  You do know there is a vast difference between how the NFL and other pro sports are aligned versus NCAA football right?

Bama won their "conference" as you have said about the NFL by winning their half of the bracket.  It's no different than a wild card team in the NFL winning their half of the bracket and going to the SB.  The brackets in the NFL happen to be aligned a certain way that has no resemblance to CFB.

I said if Bama wins.

True, on the rest of what you stated. But I'm not okay with a team that hasn't even won their division winning a national championship by a playoff format, unless the field has the conference winners in it.

CDBHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 09:49:22 am
So Bama would still have gotten in as an at large. Only difference is right now there are 4 at large teams since there is no criteria for winning your way in.

Yes. Make being a conference champion mean something or scrap it altogether. Auburn would've loved to not play in the SECCG.

I'm fine with Bama being at large, as long as the field has the conference champs in it.

Here's how I would've ranked them;
1)UGA
2)Clemson
3)OU
4)Bama
5)OSU
6)USC
7)UCF
8)Wisconsin

The committee;
1)Clemson
2)OU