Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ridin' Shotgun with the Texas Rangers

Started by SPAL, February 15, 2008, 12:56:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

This is the 2008 version of the Texas Rangers Blog

UhOhioHog

Attention Tom Hicks!!!

Time to wake up your Longwhorn butt and move your attention from the Liverpool Reds and onto America's pastime.  The Metroplex was buzzing late into football season and proved once again that it will support a winner.  And once again we were let down by poor performance in the post season.

With that being said, Post season is something that we Rangers fans long for.  Several position players showed up a week early for Spring Training and seem to be eager to improve.  The Ryan Express is on board and hopefully can keep JD from making any more Moronic trades with San Diego.  It's time to focus on the Home team and put a winner on the Diamond.  Do that and you will see the Ballpark full for the first time in a Decade!

Mr. Hicks, if you don't want to give us a winner then just make every night $1 Beer night.  You will sell more tickets and we will cope better.

Here is to a fun summer at the Ballpark!

Cheers!!!

SPAL

selfexplanatory

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3252512

Rangers sign Ian Kinsler to a 5 year 22 million dollar deal.  I like this kid.
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

UhOhioHog

Good move signing Kinsler! I'm not acustomed to JD and smart decisions.  Maybe he learned something from last year?

LVW

I'll always jave a fond place in my memory for that stadium- the place I got my 1st and only live foul ball- off the bat of Tom Goodwin.
Van_the_man_Unusual

width=250 height=156]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8279/chapman.jpg

TR1

I am happy we signed Ian. This kid is a special player. The hitting and fielding is their. We just need that PITCHING!

UhOhioHog

The Red Hawks will be worth keeping up with as the future of the pitching staff should fill the starting rotation.  If a couple of these young guys can develop we may have a contender in Arlington in a couple of years!

LVW

Quote from: TexasHogfan on February 19, 2008, 09:18:26 pm
The Red Hawks will be worth keeping up with as the future of the pitching staff should fill the starting rotation.  If a couple of these young guys can develop we may have a contender in Arlington in a couple of years!

Putting together a staff for that park is like trying to put one together for Coors Field(pre humidor years) plus you have the excessive Texas summer heat to deal with.
Van_the_man_Unusual

selfexplanatory

I did not see this and it is a week or so late, but Texas signed Kevin Mench to a minor league deal.  Mench was a fan favorite and played hard while in Texas.  I hope he can rekindle some of that magic.
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.

UhOhioHog

I suppose Mench's Bench will be back at some point this season.

Too bad he's an Eagles fan!

BigSexyHog

Maybe Nolan and his snow monkeys can help this year.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

SPAL

what are u ranger experts expecting from kyle davies. Also, keep us updated on Salty. He became a favorite of mine really quick. I hated to lose him, but we got a stud in return.

LVW

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 24, 2008, 10:02:05 pm
what are u ranger experts expecting from kyle davies.

hopefully for their sake, not much
Van_the_man_Unusual

SPAL

Quote from: LVW on February 25, 2008, 01:44:10 am
hopefully for their sake, not much

U will have to excuse me, im an idiot. Davies went to the royles in the dotel trade....Matt Harrison is the pitcher im seeking info about.

UhOhioHog

Harrison will likely split time between Triple A Oklahoma and Double A Frisco this year.  The Rangers will not rush a young pitcher this year.  They brought up Edinson Volquez too soon and it destroyed his confidence.  The Club is now scared of making the same mistake again.

Matt is a top prospect and appears to have a future with the club at the big league level.  But, with the Starting rotation all being acquired from outside of the Ranger"s camp, I don't see any of the young prospects being called up barring injury in the Show.  That would require $$$!

selfexplanatory

How long is Thomas Diamond going to be a prospect?  Or is he even on the team anymore.  Four years ago it was Danks and Diamond...Danks gone and I haven't seen Diamond.

cadensdad

Quote from: selfexplanatory on February 25, 2008, 09:08:39 am
How long is Thomas Diamond going to be a prospect?  Or is he even on the team anymore.  Four years ago it was Danks and Diamond...Danks gone and I haven't seen Diamond.
Diamond had Tommy John surgery last year.  Should pitch in AAA when he gets his arm strenght back.

selfexplanatory

Quote from: cadensdad on February 25, 2008, 10:59:31 am
Diamond had Tommy John surgery last year.  Should pitch in AAA when he gets his arm strenght back.

Guess I should've researched before ragging on the guy.  Hope he has a speedy recovery.

TR1

Ready for some games. Look forward to seeing how Josh Hamilton does.

UhOhioHog

Millwood will miss first scheduled start with a tight Hamstring and McCarthy will miss his with a sore elbow.  So it begins!

UhOhioHog

Surprise in Suprise, AZ as the Rangers take their first spring training game 6-1!

Hamilton appears to be ready to do big things with a nice game one.  If Millwood and Padilla can return to form Texas could cause some major headaches for the contender in the West.

selfexplanatory

I never knew the New York Rangers of Hockey fame got their name from our Texas Rangers.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080302&content_id=2400916&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex

Was that guy for real last week about the Rangers changing their name? Has he not heard of the world famous law enforcers named the Texas Rangers? By the way did you know the New York Rangers got their nickname based on the fact that their owner's nickname was "Tex." Thus, Tex's Rangers.
-- Jim S., Birmingham, Ala

TR1

I am glad to see Padilla pitching well this spring. And Josh Hamilton playing well.

Col.Mccoy

We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. - Lone Watie

SPAL

Quote from: selfexplanatory on March 03, 2008, 06:35:33 pm
I never knew the New York Rangers of Hockey fame got their name from our Texas Rangers.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080302&content_id=2400916&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex

Was that guy for real last week about the Rangers changing their name? Has he not heard of the world famous law enforcers named the Texas Rangers? By the way did you know the New York Rangers got their nickname based on the fact that their owner's nickname was "Tex." Thus, Tex's Rangers.
-- Jim S., Birmingham, Ala

interesting...thanks.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: TexasHogfan on February 19, 2008, 02:36:53 pm
Good move signing Kinsler! I'm not acustomed to JD and smart decisions.  Maybe he learned something from last year?

JD and smart decisions do not go hand in hand.   With as many shots as the Rangers fire you have to hit on one every now and then
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

TR1

We better sign Josh Hamilton to a longer deal. He is having a good spring.

Col.Mccoy

Quote from: TR1 on March 15, 2008, 12:02:17 am
We better sign Josh Hamilton to a longer deal. He is having a good spring.

It's great we got a good bat after losing Tex last season.
We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. - Lone Watie

TR1

Still need some more pitching. But I beleive Ron Washington will get it done.

UhOhioHog

Rangers were on FSN Saturday and Sunday.  Ian Kinsler has been solid with a spring average around .580, yeah, that's right!  Hamilton is lighting it up and has shown McGwiresque powers with mammoth blast damn near reaching the Grand Canyon!

Hurley had a rough start Saturday giving up 4 runs in the first, but, then pitched four scorless innings and looked very sharp.  Mendoza appears ready for the Bigs and should be the number 5 starter until McCarthy gets back.  If Marlon Byrd gets back to form this team could actually compete in the West.

I have been very critical of the club, however, their performance this spring has me thinking we will be out of the cellar and above .500 by as many as 10 games.  That could put the club into a Wildcard race.  Now we can all read this in June and smite away.  For now, I still believe!

Col.Mccoy

cadensdad

Quote from: TexasHogfan on March 23, 2008, 09:34:10 pm
Rangers were on FSN Saturday and Sunday.  Ian Kinsler has been solid with a spring average around .580, yeah, that's right!  Hamilton is lighting it up and has shown McGwiresque powers with mammoth blast damn near reaching the Grand Canyon!

Hurley had a rough start Saturday giving up 4 runs in the first, but, then pitched four scorless innings and looked very sharp.  Mendoza appears ready for the Bigs and should be the number 5 starter until McCarthy gets back.  If Marlon Byrd gets back to form this team could actually compete in the West.

I have been very critical of the club, however, their performance this spring has me thinking we will be out of the cellar and above .500 by as many as 10 games.  That could put the club into a Wildcard race.  Now we can all read this in June and smite away.  For now, I still believe!
Word!  i cant wait till opening day.  the first month is going to tell the whole story.

LVW

Quote from: TexasHogfan on March 23, 2008, 09:34:10 pm
If Marlon Byrd gets back to form this team could actually compete in the West.

he is back in form- it was last year that was out of character for him......the same thing is going to happen to him this year that happened to him after his 1st full year in the NL.
Van_the_man_Unusual

TR1

Please but Luis Mendoza in the rotation. Thanks! GO RANGERS!
He looked good against the Giants.

AirForceHog

I was able to meet some of them Texas Rangers the other day. Some of the squad annually comes up to Sheppard AFB, Tx to meet the troops and tour the facilities. All nice guys. Also a good oppurtunity for all the trainees here to see something new.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

DeltaBoy

Pitching once again should be a weak point for Rangers.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

UhOhioHog

Salty was sent Down to AAA OKC.  Melhuse will backup Laird to start the season.

Ouch!

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 27, 2008, 02:46:55 pm
Pitching once again should be a weak point for Rangers.

My 'stros look to rival the Rangers with a weak staff, starters and bullpen........I read on the Astros website that they were 'very eager' to return to the confines of Minute Maid Park............hoping that will help the pitchers and the defense, both of which had very poor springs in the Grapefruit League
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

Col.Mccoy

Quote from: TexasHogfan on March 27, 2008, 11:13:04 pm
Salty was sent Down to AAA OKC.  Melhuse will backup Laird to start the season.

Ouch!

Yeah I was pulling for salty to make the squad. Hes only 22. He'll get his shot as a starter sooner then later.

TR1

I am ready for the Rangers and Mariners. I just hope a Memphis Grizzlies game is not on tomorrow night where I can not watch the Rangers on FSN!

selfexplanatory

For some reason I am getting all Fox local sports channels on my direcTV...is there a free preview or something?

TR1

I got to watch two innings then it switched to the Memphis Grizzlies game. Rangers were leading 1-0.
Now I see they lost 5-2. OH NO!

selfexplanatory

Zero Tolerance

I thought Millwood pitched well; the only two runs he gave up in six innings were unearned.
Fukimori, though, stunk in his MLB debut. Wasn't real impressed with him at all.
We had some chances to score, but couldn't take advantage of those opportunities.
Was also real funny to see Wash arguing with the ump in the early innings on a play involving, of all people, Milton Bradley. But Bradley, strangely enough, didn't even say a word; he let Wash do all the talking.
Jeff Long + John Pelphrey + Bobby Petrino = The dawning of a glorious new era in Arkansas sports

Zero Tolerance

Ha, ha. I typed in Fu-ku-mori and got Darnamori instead. Based on the way he pitched tonight, I think I'm going to call him Fukumori then. :)
Jeff Long + John Pelphrey + Bobby Petrino = The dawning of a glorious new era in Arkansas sports

UhOhioHog

April 01, 2008, 03:30:59 pm #47 Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:49:55 pm by TexasHogfan
Can we send darnumori back to Japan?  That guy was terrible! 

That's Fukumori.  My iPhone won't let me type such language.

UhOhioHog

Or maybe Hogville won't let me type a Japanese name?

Someone else try it.

Zero Tolerance

The legend of Josh Hamilton begins.

A couple of big-time catches and a go-ahead two-run HR in the top of the 9th, fueling the Rangers to a 5-4 win over the M's.

Pretty good trade so far. :)