Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just in: Fuente

Started by razorbackred1, October 09, 2017, 08:41:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 12:14:09 pm
You have no clue what ANY individual coach finds appealing or not and you really have no clue how good the Arkansas job can be. Ask yourself why a three time Rose Bowl participating coach at a good school would leave there to come here. Maybe he wanted to get out from under Alvarez or maybe not. Maybe it was the weather. Maybe the SEC versus the Big 10 and the challenges it presented. Maybe his coach and mentor Hayden Fry said the Arkansas job is really good. You are stuck on the words "right now" for reasons YOU think are valid. Coaches may or may not agree with your reasons.

you are like talking to a tree stump

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 10, 2017, 12:10:31 pm
Man I wish that was true, but Fuente is about 41 years and old has no memory of those good times you are reminiscing over.  Now, I could be wrong.  Ole Bret sure made the jump and I didn't expect that.  I'm guessing he's having jumper's remorse about right now...

No kidding. I think most of us are!

Most schools including the "traditional powers" have made hires that looked good at first but for whatever reason it didn't work out. That doesn't mean they were always bad coaches either.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChicoHog

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 10, 2017, 09:01:37 am
Get real dude. Fuentes is at a destination job.
If he left Va Tech for Arkansas the national media would think he was nuts!  of course that's what they said about Bielema when he left Wisconsin for Arkansas! 

Hogtimes

October 10, 2017, 01:46:19 pm #103 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:06:22 pm by Hogtimes
Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 10, 2017, 10:31:35 am
not true...not even in the same ball park as Arkansas when the Hogs are good

I guess you have not been reading this thread.   How many years lately have the hogs been good?  We are talking about all the time, not just the years you want to pick

The Hogfather

If we're going to go after an ex-Memphis coach, he's the guy.  I would take him over Norvell anyday.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 11:49:06 am
Those numbers are based on who the coaches were. Get the right coach and anything can happen. THAT's what happened at VT with Frank. Those numbers do not necessarily tell which job is better. It only shows VT had a better coach most of that time.
A lot of Va Tech numbers are from the Big East, which was not a good conference except for Miami, Va Tech and WVU in some years.  I do agree that Va Tech is nationally perceived as a much better program than Arkansas. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 10, 2017, 01:51:06 pm
A lot of Va Tech numbers are from the Big East, which was not a good conference except for Miami, Va Tech and WVU in some years.  I do agree that Va Tech is nationally perceived as a much better program than Arkansas. 

Perception by whom? The general public? Fans? Sure a more winning program of late. But the general public is not the ones that decide what job they would take or not. that's for an individual coach to decide. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dropkick

October 10, 2017, 03:02:02 pm #107 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:38:04 pm by Dropkick
I don't think Fuentes would come here. That being said, I have (2) lists.

COACHES I WOULD LIKE TO SEE PURSUED
1. Justin Fuentes
2. Mike Leach
3. Kyle Whittingham
4. Chad Morris
5. Dana Holgerson

COACHES WE COULD CONCEIVABLY GET
1. Mike Norvell
2. Scott Frost (if he doesn't land Nebraska job)
3. Dino Babers
4. Willie Fritz
5. Neal Brown

One other tidbit..........If Les Miles is hired I am done. I will discontinue my donation and let my seats go.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: redneckfriend on October 10, 2017, 11:06:52 am
I'm sorry but the days of the "once great program" are 40 years in the rear view mirror. The reality is today and trying to be a perineal top 10 team in the SEC west isn't feasible. And let me add one more inconvenient truth here- the days when Arkansas was "great" were, for the most part, before black athletes became dominant in the SEC. If you check the demographics of the SEC states you will get an even better idea of why Arkansas recruiting is so dismal than just by looking at state population. One other fact that may be of some significance- Arkansas' heyday was in the SWC and that gave Arkansas access to Texas recruiting grounds that it doesn't have in the SEC.

Bielama came here because things weren't working out at Wisconsin, because Long sold him a bill of goods and because, at bottom, he is an idiot.
Name one coach who left willingly. Just one.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hogtimes on October 10, 2017, 01:46:19 pm

I guess you have not been reading this thread.   How many years lately have the hogs been good?  We are talking about all the time, not just the years you want to pick
Fuentes makes just over a million per year LESS than Bielema...now which job would you rather have ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hogwild

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 10, 2017, 06:28:58 pm
Fuentes makes just over a million per year LESS than Bielema...now which job would you rather have ?

If we pay him a million dollars more a year than what VA Tech is paying him, it will cost us $39 million. That does not include CBB buyout, but does include Fuentes buyout.

QuoteFuente's pay for 2017 remains the same ($3.25 million) and increases after that. He stands to make $3.4 million in 2018, $3.5 million in 2019, $3.65 million in 2020, $3.75 million in 2021, $3.9 million in 2022 and $4 million in 2023 in base salary and supplemental compensation.
Fuente has a retention bonus of $200,000, payable on April 1, 2018, and $250,000, payable on April 1, 2020. His buyout figure remains $6 million in 2017

If I am Fuente, I refuse to be interviewed and upset the VT folks.  Better job than we got to offer considering everything he would face here.  He needs to ride the wave called VT.

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteHere's the only problem with that........when you say you're looking for "the next big deal", there's always going to be the issue of actually finding that......Let's face it, schools like Tech who got Fuente and even Clemson when they signed Dabo Sweeny were really, REALLY lucky......that type of luck isn't garunteed, and who's to say fans don't call for this new coach's head on a platter after just a few bad seasons.......if you do like everyone wants, bring this coach in with a low salary, really low buyout then the knee jerk reaction becomes fire the coach......hey, it's happened in the NFL......Look at teams like Cleveland and Jacksonville, going through 4-5 coaches in a 6 year span........I know that's the NFL, but it could just as easily become Arkansas......Last thing you want is a spinning door of coaches coming in and out like what happened to A-State, though they didn't really have a choice in their coaches going....... it really doesn't help the program to be in that type of situation......

Dot Dot

Dot, Dot, Dot

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Hogtimes

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 10, 2017, 06:28:58 pm

Va.  Tech, because it is a better job and  Fuente will get a hefty increase this year ....how much of an increase do you think Bielema will get?

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 10, 2017, 09:07:11 am
http://tiptop25.com/overrated_ap_poll_era.html

As I've been saying, VT the most overrated program of the last 20 years. 

Perhaps that makes it a good job. I think it is a good job.  Fuentes shouldn't leave especially not for Arkansas.  The OP would be embarrassing if linked outside of our fan base.  Move on to other coaches. 
If ND is not on this list, it is COMPLETELY worthless.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hogtimes on October 10, 2017, 08:03:33 pm
Va.  Tech, because it is a better job and  Fuente will get a hefty increase this year ....how much of an increase do you think Bielema will get?

Well said.

Tuskya

Quote from: carolinahogger on October 09, 2017, 09:12:34 pm
This whole "open the checkbook" concept is ridiculous.  Give them a lower salary plus incentives for winning.  Opening the checkbook got us in this sh**** situation that we are in today.

I propose...
100K -non-conference win
200K -non-conference top 25 win
300K -SEC win
Bonus for top 10 win & post season win
Minimum 500K

Winning every game this year would be 2.9 million plus bonuses.

PigPusher

Turned Memphis around. Is 5-1 this season with a loss to Clemson (good game) and a convincing win over Notre Dame. Winning at a 60% clip and a young gun at 41 years.  Record would be higher but for having to build a player base at Memphis. Consider having a bright future. Was very successful QB at Union in Tulsa.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

jst01

Not sure why someone would leave a good place in a good conference to come take on the challenge of winning here. In my opinion, coaches aren't dying to come coach in the SEC just bc it's the SEC. And every school can pay coaches $3.5MM+ now.

The Kig

Why would he leave for a worse Job? 
Poker Porker

Pork Twain

October 23, 2017, 04:12:59 am #121 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:44:43 am by Pork Twain
Lateral career move at BEST.  Sorry but Virginia > Arkansas.  Far too many Arkansas fans live in some sort of fantasy world about what ADs and coaches we can attract

Ghost Writer in the Sty

Quote from: PigPusher on October 23, 2017, 01:23:16 am
Turned Memphis around. Is 5-1 this season with a loss to Clemson (good game) and a convincing win over Notre Dame. Winning at a 60% clip and a young gun at 41 years.  Record would be higher but for having to build a player base at Memphis. Consider having a bright future. Was very successful QB at Union in Tulsa.

Convincing win over Notre Dame????  The only team with a win over ND is Georgia and it was far from convincing, just one point.

AirWarren

Virginia Tech is a way better job and way easier place to recruit to then Arkansas.

texas tush hog

Quote from: PigPusher on October 23, 2017, 01:23:16 am

You might as well go after Saban, Dabo, or Jimbo Fischer. Get real, these guys ain't coming and neither is Fuentes. Now Campbell, Norville, Brohm, or Frost maybe, but Fuentes, no way in hell. Leach ain't what we need. Warmed over stale milk.Norville, or Brohm would be our best chance. Frost is going to Nebraska, his Alma Mater. Lane Kiffin or Charlie Strong are remote po,ssibilities, but that is your list. Fuentes is a pipe dream forget it. Venebles would be a good choice, but not as long as Jeffie is in charge.

hogboarder

Too late. We should have gone after him instead of extending CBB's contract.

farmhawg

Quote from: jst01 on October 23, 2017, 01:27:25 am
Not sure why someone would leave a good place in a good conference to come take on the challenge of winning here. In my opinion, coaches aren't dying to come coach in the SEC just bc it's the SEC. And every school can pay coaches $3.5MM+ now.
Only the dumb ones that can out Alabama Alabama.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Tortfeasor

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 23, 2017, 04:12:59 am
Lateral career move at BEST.  Sorry but Virginia > Arkansas.  Far too many Arkansas fans live in some sort of fantasy world about what ADs and coaches we can attract

+1. I moved from Arkansas over 15 years ago, and while it is my home and I love it, the perception of the State by others is not good...outside of duck hunting.

Couple that with coaches not jumping to coach in the SEC anymore, most coaches named on here are a fantasy.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Tortfeasor on October 23, 2017, 07:21:08 am
+1. I moved from Arkansas over 15 years ago, and while it is my home and I love it, the perception of the State by others is not good...outside of duck hunting.

Couple that with coaches not jumping to coach in the SEC anymore, most coaches named on here are a fantasy.
I grew up in Arkansas and have been all over the world, since I graduated.  Like you, I loved it when I lived there but after leaving, I realized how small and how far removed it was from anything and everything.  Virginia on the other hand is central to a so much more.  I live in Charlottesville (central VA) and I am 2 hrs from DC/Baltimore, 6 from NYC, 1.3 from Richmond, 2.3 from Virginia Beach and all the NASCAR a person could want (Richmond, Martinsville, Bristol).  My daughter is a Jr at VT and I cannot imagine anyone leaving there for Arkansas.  Hell my last two assignments were Colorado and Virginia and I would put Arkansas behind both.  I love my home state, but that is because that is where I am from, but the reality is that the rest of the world does not see it like we do and while some delusional fans see it as a destination job, is it really?

jacobp

Quote from: Ghost Writer in the Sty on October 23, 2017, 05:10:42 am

Convincing win over Notre Dame????  The only team with a win over ND is Georgia and it was far from convincing, just one point.
Their "convincing" win over Notre Dame was last year. And it was a miracle comeback against an awful Notre Dame team that went 4-8,

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 23, 2017, 07:38:50 am
I grew up in Arkansas and have been all over the world, since I graduated.  Like you, I loved it when I lived there but after leaving, I realized how small and how far removed it was from anything and everything.  Virginia on the other hand is central to a so much more.  I live in Charlottesville (central VA) and I am 2 hrs from DC/Baltimore, 6 from NYC, 1.3 from Richmond, 2.3 from Virginia Beach and all the NASCAR a person could want (Richmond, Martinsville, Bristol).  My daughter is a Jr at VT and I cannot imagine anyone leaving there for Arkansas.  Hell my last two assignments were Colorado and Virginia and I would put Arkansas behind both.  I love my home state, but that is because that is where I am from, but the reality is that the rest of the world does not see it like we do and while some delusional fans see it as a destination job, is it really?

True. I moved to California for college and now live near Blacksburg. I love Arkansas as it's where I call home, but the "Razorback Love is unmatched cuz we don't have any pro teams" isn't accurate. Hokie culture is pretty awesome and the mention that Fuentes would leave them just cuz...what? Cuz we're in the SEC?

If we were winning and fired a coach like LSU cuz their coach has only won a National Championship 5 years ago and only won 10 games, then yes, we'd be attracting top level coaches and would be able to pull them from decent organizations. But lets at least be realistic - Arkansas is tough to recruit and we're already in a hole.

I'm afraid our best options are going to have to be coached with Arkansas ties or an solid assistant and hope he's a good head coach.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

The Boar War

HoggyCat

Quote from: jst01 on October 23, 2017, 01:27:25 am

The SEC isn't as scary as it was just a couple years ago. It looks hat way because bama, but Saban won't coach forever. Someone will have to move up when he's gone (unless they hire Dabo).
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The Boar War on October 23, 2017, 08:15:46 am
Fayetteville sucks.  I mean it just sucks so bad. 

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/best-places-to-live
Nobody is saying it sucks, just that it likely is not the destination job many on here think it is and not a place that draws recruits.

That list is great but it ranks cities based on Desirability, Value, Job Market, Quality of Life, and Net Migration (are those a draw for coaches and recruits) and there are dozens of such lists out there that all have a different top 10.

rljjr

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 23, 2017, 04:12:59 am

I live in VA, but in the DC area. I've been to Blacksburg. It's not that great. It really has less to offer than NWA. That said, VT is a nice campus and good football program in a great and winnable conference and there is next to no way Fuente would leave a great situation after year 2.

Pork Twain

Quote from: rljjr on October 23, 2017, 08:45:00 am
I live in VA, but in the DC area. I've been to Blacksburg. It's not that great. It really has less to offer than NWA. That said, VT is a nice campus and good football program in a great and winnable conference and there is next to no way Fuente would leave a great situation after year 2.
Yes, you are 100% correct, Blacksburg is half the size of Fayetteville but as we have both seen, there is much more to a location than just what is within the city limits.  I much prefer Charlottesville to Blacksburg, but I will never cheer for the Hoos

rljjr

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 23, 2017, 08:49:45 am
Yes, you are 100% correct, Blacksburg is half the size of Fayetteville but as we have both seen, there is much more to a location than just what is within the city limits.  I much prefer Charlottesville to Blacksburg, but I will never cheer for the Hoos

Concur on C-ville. Gorgeous.

The_Iceman

He is not leaving Virginia Tech. That's a great spot for him.

Atlhogfan1

My guess is Bielema's failure here will cause some coaches in good, secure situations to be at least hesitant if not hell no to the thought of coming to Arkansas when they will have other options. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

We can't get Fuentes, but I wonder in a few years if we will likewise feel we missed out on Norvell.

BoogaHog

Quote from: The Boar War on October 23, 2017, 08:15:46 am
Fayetteville sucks.  I mean it just sucks so bad. 

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/best-places-to-live

Exactly.  I have lived in #1 Austin #2 Denver and six other states and 8 other cities and currently in Maumelle .  Graduated from The University.  I can say safely that NWA and Maumelle are by far the best all around places to live when you factor in economics (C.O.L, Tax Policy, Private Industry, Housing, and yes, Crime Rates/Protection Services).

Rather go Arkansas.  Spent my whole life trying to get to Arkie,  I'm here now and I'm staying!  That comes from a native Alabaman and University of Texas at Austin Life Time Alumni Association member.  WOO PIG Hang in there all.  Things are going to get much better and soon...and go Astros ::hornsdown::

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: rljjr on October 23, 2017, 08:45:00 am

Yep. I work 30 seconds from VaTech and its a very large, beautiful campus. The Hokie-stone buildings make it very distinctive. But Blacksburg itself is a ghost town in summers and outside of a couple of shopping centers, there's nothing to do here.

The big plus with VaTech is he doesn't have to face the teams that are dead center of the hottest recruiting beds in the nation every game.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

HotlantaHog

Fayetteville is a much better place to live than Blacksburg. On the other hand, Virginia Tech is at least as successful as a football program as Arkansas and probably a good bit more successful.

PigPusher

I would think there are coaches out there, particularly the young good ones, that would love the challenge of turning a loosing program around and making it nationally prominent.  That is if our administration would give a coach such as this a go at it. There are presently a number of established programs that are turning to the younger coaches and they are competing very well. We of course do not compare with those schools right now, but there was a time in recent memory that we were very visible and capable.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Pork Twain

Nobody is saying Blacksburg > Fayetteville.  Much more to where you work, than jus the city you work in and in order to get a coach from a peer-level school, you have to have something that is a major draw.

I agree with PigPusher above.  I hope we get a young coach that is hungry to prove himself.

PigPusher

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 24, 2017, 12:32:27 am
Nobody is saying Blacksburg > Fayetteville.  Much more to where you work, than jus the city you work in and in order to get a coach from a peer-level school, you have to have something that is a major draw.

I agree with PigPusher above.  I hope we get a young coach that is hungry to prove himself.

Thank you.

The other plus related to a young coach coming to our Hogs is their youthful vigor they have in their "luggage." Saw that in 1958 when Coach Broyles arrived. The man was full of this energy and daring. Having that helped him light a roaring fire under this state. It was magical and exciting and it  could very well happen.

Pork Twain

Quote from: PigPusher on October 24, 2017, 11:56:23 pm
Thank you.

The other plus related to a young coach coming to our Hogs is their youthful vigor they have in their "luggage." Saw that in 1958 when Coach Broyles arrived. The man was full of this energy and daring. Having that helped him light a roaring fire under this state. It was magical and exciting and it  could very well happen.
I think that is why I hate hearing the names of older retreads (i.e. Gus, Les, Butch, Richt), I want someone with some fire in their gut and something to prove.  Same reason I always preferred to have a younger Airman working for me vs a salty troop

presidenthog

The only selling point I can see is that he is from Tulsa and he would be very close to home.

Pork Twain

Quote from: presidenthog on October 25, 2017, 12:15:06 am
The only selling point I can see is that he is from Tulsa and he would be very close to home.

That is true but that would have mattered a lot more if it were not for airports and him being rich.  Plus not everyone wants to live within a short driving distance from where they grew up.

hawgon

I'll just say this.  On another board they are saying that Bob Stoops talked to Long and some others when he was in town last week and what he told them really has them setting their sights much higher now. 

As for Virginia and Arkansas, I always found Virginia to be too pretentious.  And man, do they drive bad.  I did used to run into Howie Long at a little barbershop in Charlottesville.  For a month or two, we were on the same haircut schedule it seemed like.