Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RB's vs WR's on kick-off returns

Started by parallaxpig, June 11, 2017, 03:24:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

Always been curious on coach B philosophy on kick-off returns to use WR's over RB's. Not saying one is better than another.  Just curious on coaching philosophy. Anybody know advantages of one over another.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

factchecker

Quote from: parallaxpig on June 11, 2017, 03:24:38 pm
Always been curious on coach B philosophy on kick-off returns to use WR's over RB's. Not saying one is better than another.  Just curious on coaching philosophy. Anybody know advantages of one over another.

I'm not sure he has that philosophy.  If he does then he isn't very strict.  Korlis Marshall was a kick returner.  Alex Collins returned a handful of kicks when he was here.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Leading kickoff returner each season under Bielema:

2013 - Korliss Marshall (RB)
2014 - Korliss Marshall (RB)
2015 - Eric Hawkins (WR) and Dominique Reed (WR)
2016 - Deon Stewart (WR)

2017 - ?  If I had to guess it would be Stewart and probably T.J. Hammonds.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on June 11, 2017, 03:56:11 pm
I'm not sure he has that philosophy.  If he does then he isn't very strict.  Korlis Marshall was a kick returner.  Alex Collins returned a handful of kicks when he was here.

I agree. One part is attempting to execute the specified return call, "left, center, right" and then the the other part is being able to have the practiced vision to be able to see openings develop in coverage, as it relates to return blocking. As an example, if you are the returner and the call is "right" but you see the majority of coverage sinking to your right early and you have a guy to the left that can cover/screen the "contain" for the kicking team, you start right and hopefully have the speed to cut back left and take advantage of the majority of the coverage migrating to your blockers on the right.

It's sure hands (catch the ball first), field of vision, good decision making and then speed as well as ball control. I'm not sure that it matters whether it is a RB or a WR as long as they possess those traits.
Go Hogs Go!

longpig

Kicks are harder to catch and receivers have better hands and are usually faster.  RBs are more durable, better at finding running lanes.  BB's been on both ends of the spectrum with both Dominique Reed and AC back there.
Don't be scared, be smart.

go hogues

I've always had the impression that the coaches were looking for sure hands first and foremost.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Bacons Rebellion

Out of curiosity I checked the NFL career kickoff return list and WRs and DBs outnumber the RBs substantially. Some of the running backs were "specialty" type backs that you could tell were really kick returners needing an extra position on the roster. For example, Brian Mitchell, all-time NFL KO yards leader had 607 returns and only 388 carriers in his 14 season career.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: parallaxpig on June 11, 2017, 03:24:38 pm
I am pretty sure he doesn't care what position you play if you can return kicks.   No coach has a philosophy of RB or WR or DB.   Mostly it is who won't fumble.  Other than that it depends on talent and depth, i.e., probably won't see Whaley or any of the RB's back there this year.

parallaxpig

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on June 12, 2017, 08:52:46 am
I am pretty sure he doesn't care what position you play if you can return kicks.   No coach has a philosophy of RB or WR or DB.   Mostly it is who won't fumble.  Other than that it depends on talent and depth, i.e., probably won't see Whaley or any of the RB's back there this year.

I agree you want someone who want fumble but at the same time it would be nice to have someone who can take it to the house. In recent history that has been RB's Felix Jones (4) and Dennis Johnson (3).  Maybe TJ Hammon can be that guy. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

redleg

I can see TJ Hammonds and Chase Hayden returning kickoffs, and Jared Cornelius & Hammonds returning punts.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.