Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update on Paralyzed player Devon Gales injured in the 2015 Georgia game

Started by jbcarol, January 15, 2016, 01:00:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

A college football player, who was paralyzed during a game against the University of Georgia in September, is making huge progress.

Southern University player Devon Gales felt his knee and the bottom of his feet for the first time this week.

Quote"It's just amazing to know the feeling is coming back and I have a chance to walk again," Gales told Channel 2's Tyisha Fernandes in an exclusive interview Wednesday.

As he sat in the room with Fernandes, Gales answered his cellphone, picking it up and holding it to his ear on his own – a big step for the former wide receiver.

Nearly four months ago he suffered a severe spinal injury during a game in Athens.

He was taken off the field on a stretcher and couldn't feel anything on his body.

Now, he can move both of his hands and some of his fingers.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

WAFB TV-9: Southern's Devon Gales continuing to recover well

QuoteIt was a horrific injury to witness, but it's now becoming an incredible comeback story. Southern University's Devon Gales continues to show progress in his rehabilitation after a severe spinal injury left his lower body paralyzed in September.

Jacques Doucet of WAFB-TV in Baton Rouge reports that Gales gained movement in his legs and toes will remain in Atlanta to continue his improvement.

Attempting to set a block on a kickoff return in the Jaguars' September match-up with the Georgia Bulldogs, Gales took a hit to his head and neck that left him down on the field motionless before being carted off. He was immediately embraced by then Georgia Head Coach Mark Richt, his wife and the Bulldog nation as one of their own.

jbcarol

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt  23m23 minutes ago
Devon Gales announced at Stegeman Coliseum and he receives a standing ovation from the Georgia fans. Cool sight to see.

jbcarol

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt 4h4 hours ago

Mark Fox has 'great respect' for Devon Gales, who came to watch the bball team play on Saturday: http://www.macon.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/article59152843.html ...

QuoteATHENS

Devon Gales played football and will earn a degree from Southern University. He's also been accepted into the Georgia athletics family for what occurred when the Bulldogs and Jaguars played this past September.

Gales collided with kicker Marshall Morgan on a special-teams play, which cracked a vertebra and left him paralyzed below the waist. Gales has since been rehabilitating in Atlanta at the Shepherd Center, and has been frequently visited by Georgia director of sports medicine Ron Courson. He's reportedly experienced feeling in his knee and on the bottom of his feet.

"I have great respect for Devon," Georgia head coach Mark Fox said. "To face what he's had to deal with, with the spirit in which he's done it, I think he's a great example for everybody. I think people would line up to have my problems and your problems. They're not lining up to have his. He's handled it unbelievably well."

In the second half, Gales was announced and shown on the jumbotron, which appeared to be a surprise to the Baton Rouge, Louisiana native. Gales received a standing ovation from the fans at Stegeman Coliseum, which drew a smile out of the young man.

Georgia assistant Jonas Hayes (twin brother of Jarvis Hayes) leans down to hug Devon Gales on the Stegeman Coliseum court (photo Emily Selby)

jbcarol

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt 2h2 hours ago

Devon Gales 'making progress,' slated to leave Shepherd Center on Feb. 24: http://www.macon.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/article60727701.html ...

QuoteATHENS

Southern receiver Devon Gales, who suffered a spinal injury against Georgia on Sept. 27, was able to recently stand up on his own for 50 seconds while going through his rehabilitation.

Georgia director of sports medicine Ron Courson, who has routinely visited with Gales since the injury, updated the athletic board at Tuesday's meeting of his status, and of where he stands with his recovery.

Gales is scheduled to leave the Shepherd Center on Feb. 24 and will visit the university to give thanks and appreciation on Feb. 25. He'll then head back to Baton Rouge to be with his family.

As far as the long-term prognosis with Gales, it remains to be seen.

"It's really going to take about a year and a half to two years to really know what response he has," Courson said.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 8h8 hours ago

Devon Gales released from hospital http://sec.news/20Wgjup

QuoteATLANTA — A football player paralyzed during a game last fall left the hospital Wednesday.

Southern University wide receiver Devon Gales suffered a severe spinal injury during a game in Athens in September. He was taken off the field on a stretcher and couldn't feel anything on his body.

Wednesday marked one of his biggest moments yet as he left the Shepherd Center to finally go home.

For Gales, it was a bittersweet goodbye to a place he's been calling home for the last five months.

The Shepherd Center had a graduation ceremony for him to wish him well. His physical therapists said his will to walk again makes everyone around him smile.

"No complaints, always just works his butt off," one therapist said.

"I don't know how I will act when I see them, but I know I want to see them and tell them I'm doing great and I will walk again," Gales said.

Gales will return to Atlanta in a few months to continue his therapy.

jbcarol

Marc Weiszer ‏@marcweiszer 2h2 hours ago

Southern's Devon Gales is at UGA today before heading home to Louisiana.

Devon Gales' parents overcome with emotion after Triumph Over Tragedy Foundation announces campaign to build family new home for his needs.

jbcarol

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt 17h17 hours ago

... Akins Ford in Winder gave Devon Gales a specially equipped Dodge Challenger.

Scott Britt ‏@Iknowtheband 17h17 hours ago

@JasonHButt Akins also provided a van for the Gales family to drive while Devin was in treatment.

jbcarol

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt 23h23 hours ago

The Gales family getting a tad emotional talking about Mark Richt. Devon -- "He would find a way to get me something."

jbcarol

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt Feb 25

Nick Chubb eating lunch with Devon Gales, rockin' the Gales shirt.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 22m22 minutes ago

'Overwhelming' support for Devon Gales from Dawg Nation http://sec.news/1TiaUiq

Re: Capacity Management

QuoteATHENS — When it comes to reaching out and supporting Devon Gales, the Bulldog Nation is crushing it. Unfortunately for the Triumph Over Tragedy Foundation, they also crushed their website in the process.

The organization that has pledged to build a new home for the paralyzed football player took a leap of faith when it made a live announcement to that effect at Gales' news conference this past Wednesday on the UGA campus. And apparently, a great number of people were attuned and receptive.

Almost immediately the website www.givetotriumph.org crashed. And even after some quick and significant upgrades from GoDaddy.com, the site continued to go down.

"We just did not anticipate the level of traffic we got," said Reggie Jones, co-founder of Triumph Over Tragedy along with his brother Wesley. "It went down eight times the first day. After the second time it went down, we called GoDaddy back and said, 'ramp us up to the highest level of bandwidth that you can get.' They said 'great' and they did it in a matter of minutes, then it proceeded to go down six more times.'"

Because the site crashed, the counter on the site also was down, so there is simply no way of knowing how many people visited — or how many potential donors they missed.

"Are you trying to make me cry?" said Jones

jbcarol

Former Southern WR Devon Gales throws first pitch at LSU baseball game

QuoteGales, who suffered a paralyzing neck injury during a game with UGA in September, threw out the ceremonial first pitch in Baton Rouge, La., as LSU and Southern squared off on the diamond...

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/717493318288977921

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/836397230596767749

QuoteWatson tweeted a screenshot from his family fund that showed a $10,000 donation to help build Gales a new home. Gales fractured his C6 vertebrae when Georgia played Southern in 2015. Georgia announced the campaign to raise funds to help build the home Saturday.

Watson wasn't satisfied with his personal donation, though. He wants others former Georgia players to join in the effort.

Watson, now a member of the Baltimore Ravens, tweeted to former players such as A.J. Green, Todd Gurley, Malcolm Mitchell and Geno Atkins, among others, and urged them to contribute to the campaign.

Watson had 852 yards receiving with 6 touchdowns for the Bulldogs from 2001-03.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

DawgNation

Verified account@DawgNation@DawgNation

Devon Gales and family to finally receive new accessible home thanks to former Georgia football player

QuoteAs the group taking on the challenge to build a wheelchair-accessible home for Gales and his family struggled for months to find a lot that was both affordable and suitable, there came a breakthrough last week.

Turned out, all it took was a phone call to a former Georgia linebacker.

They got around to asking Whit Marshall – UGA Class of '96 – if he could do something. It took him about two seconds to answer. Have the Gales family come out to the subdivision that the Marshall family company is building out and pick a lot, he said. Any lot. And Paran Homes would donate it to the cause.

Mike Elrod, the North Georgia builder who has volunteered to manage the Build for Devon project, was stunned by Marshall's offer.

"I was in my truck, good thing I was parked," Elrod said. "When I saw it was Whit calling, I pulled over and parked. His first words were, 'Whatever you need. I'm all in.'

"It was tremendous. It was a blessing."

jackflash

jbcarol