Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky, Tennessee, & Auburn Recruiting

Started by dwcherr, June 14, 2013, 11:19:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boar War

Shouldn't a thread about Kentucky, Tennessee, and Auburn RECRUITING at least be in the Recruiting forum, if not General Sports (or the trash can)?

Ugly Uncle

So much wrong with the original OP.

First of all, Bret Bielema's personality has been a selling point to every recruit that I have talked to or heard interviewed.

Secondly, Those other schools may have had bad years and thus have new coaches, but NO one in the SEC had a year and a half like Arkansas did.  We lost two full recruiting classes due to having an intrem staff.  We were fortunate that the staff we have now landed some big time recruits late last year because of their relationships at the other Universities where they were.  So, Gus comes back to Auburn...but most the people he was trying to sign he had already recruited.

Stoops at Kentucky came in after Joker had failed, but he wasn't coming in on the heels of a scandal and a total storm that swept away their program.

TN and Jones are going to get a strong class because that is what TN usually does.  They are also recruiting to a team that is laden with talent (according to many of the experts) and they don't feel that they are that far away from returning to the top.

Other SEC coaches are saying that Arkansas has 3 years before we will be any good...they are wrong but that is the thought process those guys are using right now.

So, we have to overcome those things.

Now, we have guys who have consistently been rated as top recruiters in all of college football.  That didn't change when they got here.

There will more than likely be more offers to Arkansas kids coming up over the summer...but for sure once the season starts.  This staff (from what I have observed) is slow to offer instate kids because they have only wanted to give offers to kids in state that were committable offers.  They don't want to offer an instate kid then pull it back.  They are working to build relationships with AR HS coaches and they aren't going to offer or promise things that they can't follow through on.  I like that approach.  They are not looking to ignore Arkansas kids AT ALL.  They are just making sure that if they offer an Arkansas kid that the scholarship will for sure be there.

Now, I'm concerned that we don't have more on the board already but I don't believe that these top 10 recruiters suddenly forgot how to recruit.

There are also a TON of offers out there right now to kids all over the country and I know there are some right now that are ready to commit.  We will see how it goes I guess.
Retired Radio Host

regi

Part of the learning curve for a BIG10 coach who doesn't get the cut throat nature of recruiting in the South yet? Or, is this part of the plan, selective swings for the big hits? Maybe part both. Pittman, Shannon and Thomas have strong recruiting resume's, so I refuse to panic in June.

With crap programs like Vandy, OleMiss and UK pulling in these type of classes, it just shows the over exposure of the SEC is working. If it helps those historically ** programs, we should benefit more. Be patient

LZH

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on June 19, 2013, 04:50:54 pm
I agree that it's a little unnerving to have less verbal commitments than the other SEC teams with new head coaches (Auburn, Kentucky, and Tennessee), but we need to be patient.  Like other posters have already said, its June and signing day is 8 months away.  If our class isn't ranked in the top 30 come early February, then you can question our 2014 recruiting efforts.

Then there will be gobs of excuses, just like there always are, as to why we didn't pull down a Top 10 class.....and it's not really true that we're falling behind Auburn and Tennessee and Ole Miss in recruiting because blah blah blah.......

BallHog1

Quote from: sportster365 on June 19, 2013, 04:32:11 pm
Gus Malzahn was hired at Auburn at precisely around the same time Beilema was hired here at Arkansas
PRECISELY AROUND the same time?

PonderinHog

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: BallHog1 on June 19, 2013, 05:50:53 pm
PRECISELY AROUND the same time?

Good.  I thought I was the only one who picked up on that.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

MiHogsMi

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on June 19, 2013, 05:41:21 pm
So much wrong with the original OP.

So much wrong with your post too.

First of all, Bret Bielema's personality has been a selling point to every recruit that I have talked to or heard interviewed.

And yet we only have 5 commits.

Secondly, Those other schools may have had bad years and thus have new coaches, but NO one in the SEC had a year and a half like Arkansas did. 

So what.  Does ONE year make or break a program?

We lost two full recruiting classes due to having an intrem staff. 

Two? You sure about that?

We were fortunate that the staff we have now landed some big time recruits late last year because of their relationships at the other Universities where they were.

So where's the momentum we all were discussing last Feb.?

So, Gus comes back to Auburn...but most the people he was trying to sign he had already recruited.

Wait...didn't you just say the same thing about our coaches too??

Stoops at Kentucky came in after Joker had failed, but he wasn't coming in on the heels of a scandal and a total storm that swept away their program.

Really?  SWEPT AWAY?

TN and Jones are going to get a strong class because that is what TN usually does. 

Wait a minute here...that sounds like justification. 

They are also recruiting to a team that is laden with talent (according to many of the experts) and they don't feel that they are that far away from returning to the top.

What does that have to do with anything related to this year, and recruiting?

Other SEC coaches are saying that Arkansas has 3 years before we will be any good...they are wrong but that is the thought process those guys are using right now.

What does their opinion have to do with us only having 5 guys?

So, we have to overcome those things.

Wait....didn't we overcome those things by this staff finishing strong last year?

Now, we have guys who have consistently been rated as top recruiters in all of college football.  That didn't change when they got here.

That's right!! Lets see some results!!  WPS.  :razorback:

There will more than likely be more offers to Arkansas kids coming up over the summer...but for sure once the season starts.  This staff (from what I have observed) is slow to offer instate kids because they have only wanted to give offers to kids in state that were committable offers.  They don't want to offer an instate kid then pull it back.  They are working to build relationships with AR HS coaches and they aren't going to offer or promise things that they can't follow through on.  I like that approach.  They are not looking to ignore Arkansas kids AT ALL.  They are just making sure that if they offer an Arkansas kid that the scholarship will for sure be there.

Oh dear Lord....PLEASE tell me you're NOT placing our recruiting success on Arkansas natives.  We MUST get most of them from outside the state.

Now, I'm concerned that we don't have more on the board already but I don't believe that these top 10 recruiters suddenly forgot how to recruit.

Then make up your mind!

There are also a TON of offers out there right now to kids all over the country and I know there are some right now that are ready to commit.  We will see how it goes I guess.

There are?  Why haven't they?
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

Hogeration

poloprince

How many qb's did BB develop at Wisc?  He won't have a rb running for 59 tds in two seasons in the SEC.  Nope, not happening.
$PoLoPrInCe$

secneahog

Quote from: poloprince on June 19, 2013, 07:59:27 pm
How many qb's did BB develop at Wisc?  He won't have a rb running for 59 tds in two seasons in the SEC.  Nope, not happening.

You always post stuff that is off the wall. Its not just Coach B. Chaney, Pittman, Thomas are very good at what they do. Making off the wall predictions like you are is a joke.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

scruf

sportster365, dwcherr, poloprince - take some notes from the guys on the link posted below and get back to us when you learn how to kick game:

http://memebase.cheezburger.com/artoftrolling

scruf

secneahog

But the building blocks are here. I am so glad we are being patent on recruiting. We are gonna get great players, that fit what were building. Theres still alot of time, an I am not concerned at all. We will be winning games, having official visits before to long. We will land big time recruits, just some ppl need to be patient. If we was a week away from nsd with 5 committs then post something like this. Until then chill out. What has this staff done wrong to have you tripping out?    Bc other Sec schools have great classes already?   I dont care about tenner or uk... Let them do their thing an we will do ours.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: Hogeration on June 19, 2013, 07:55:06 pm
Just more proof that Stoops is working hard.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/mark-stoops-kentucky-reach-top-recruiting-rankings-151833076.html

While that is impressive they use a total point system ie. the more commits the more points but in avg. recruit  star value they are in 11th in the SEC with 3.22
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

Pork Twain

Quote from: poloprince on June 19, 2013, 07:59:27 pm
Our OC has put twice the number of starting QB's in the NFL as BP has.  Just saying...  CBB has put at least one in the NFL and that would be one more than BP.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: BeoPig™ on June 19, 2013, 09:00:12 pm
Our OC has put twice the number of starting QB's in the NFL as BP has.  Just saying...  CBB has put at least one in the NFL and that would be one more than BP.

Gotta give credit to BP for Tyler and Ryan..?

PonderinHog

Quote from: SSJ on June 19, 2013, 09:06:33 pm
Yeah, just as soon as they start a regular season game.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 19, 2013, 09:11:31 pm
Yeah, just as soon as they start a regular season game.

Ok Now I see it STARTING got Ya...

PonderinHog

Quote from: SSJ on June 19, 2013, 09:14:47 pm
Hey, at least some meaningful minutes.  I can't wait to see Mallett and Wilson light some defenses up.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: regi on June 19, 2013, 05:44:36 pm
Part of the learning curve for a BIG10 coach who doesn't get the cut throat nature of recruiting in the South yet? Or, is this part of the plan, selective swings for the big hits? Maybe part both. Pittman, Shannon and Thomas have strong recruiting resume's, so I refuse to panic in June.

With crap programs like Vandy, OleMiss and UK pulling in these type of classes, it just shows the over exposure of the SEC is working. If it helps those historically ** programs, we should benefit more. Be patient
WR coach, Micheal Smith, is rated a top 10 recruiter by Rivals. JS.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Hoggish1

This is absolutely frustrating. I'm so sick of the Arkansas sports media consistently and overwhelmingly blowing smoke about how this is such a wonderful coaching staff built to recruit when programs like Kentucky and Tennessee were far more worst off than ours were and yet there making phenomenal strides in the recruiting rankings already.

And I don't want to hear the late start excuse or its just there first year talk. Gus Malzahn was hired at Auburn at precisely around the same time Beilema was hired here at Arkansas and Butch Jones at Tennessee shortly following and both finished that years recruiting cycle ranked higher than we were.

Now while at the start of this new cycle we're nowhere in the picture. Look I understand we're swinging for the fences and I like that approach but each one of those teams including Ole Miss all have twice as many 4 * athletes as we have already. That shows me they're not just offering schollies to just any old Jimmy or Joe. I know they have a number of 3 stars so will we, Alabama and every other major division 1 program in the country, but right now we're dead last in the SEC in recruiting. Don't get me wrong here I absolutely like Beilema as our head coach here, but this is too reminiscent of his recruiting at Wisconsin. It's obvious he doesn't have a personality that vibes well with the kids he's recruiting, as for reason behind it... Bro I don't have a clue!!

I honestly believe that this staff will pull it together on the field and put a product out there that will sell. So hopefully soon enough they'll prove to be successful here and that alone should draw the interest of some of Americas best high school talent, but then again how much did success help Petrino's recruiting here or for that matter Beilema's at Wisconsin?? Mediocre at best and that's on an average of being rated outside of the top 25 yearly in recruiting for both coaches.

But I'm still a hog fan and hoping for the best regardless... but it's soo annoying I just had to rant a little to get this off my chest some, but any hoot..... WPS!! Go Hogs!!!

Troll alert...

PygmalionEffect

Not sure what you guys are looking at?

According to Rivals, of the four schools you mention in your thread, Arkansas is in the recruiting lead as of today:

Team              Avg star Ranking
Arkansas                 3.50
Auburn                    3.44
Tennessee               3.38
Kentucky                 3.22

How many commits a team has at this point is really not as important unless you think there will be teams in the SEC that will not be able to fill all their scholarships.  Each team gets around 25 that they can sign, give or take a few timing issues.

Loved the Texas comparison as proof that Kentucky is a world beater in recruiting.  That was rich.   Texas is at 3.28 with 19 recruits.  I've never seen their average that low.  Their avg is usually around 4.00

What do you think is going to happen?  CBB gonna end up with a 12 signee class?   LOL

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Vantage 8 dude

June 19, 2013, 09:55:21 pm #73 Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:01:41 am by Vantage 8 dude
This is absolutely frustrating. I'm so sick of the Arkansas sports media consistently and overwhelmingly blowing smoke about how this is such a wonderful coaching staff built to recruit when programs like Kentucky and Tennessee were far more worst off than ours were and yet there making phenomenal strides in the recruiting rankings already.

And I don't want to hear the late start excuse or its just there first year talk. Gus Malzahn was hired at Auburn at precisely around the same time Beilema was hired here at Arkansas and Butch Jones at Tennessee shortly following and both finished that years recruiting cycle ranked higher than we were.

Now while at the start of this new cycle we're nowhere in the picture. Look I understand we're swinging for the fences and I like that approach but each one of those teams including Ole Miss all have twice as many 4 * athletes as we have already. That shows me they're not just offering schollies to just any old Jimmy or Joe. I know they have a number of 3 stars so will we, Alabama and every other major division 1 program in the country, but right now we're dead last in the SEC in recruiting. Don't get me wrong here I absolutely like Beilema as our head coach here, but this is too reminiscent of his recruiting at Wisconsin. It's obvious he doesn't have a personality that vibes well with the kids he's recruiting, as for reason behind it... Bro I don't have a clue!!

I honestly believe that this staff will pull it together on the field and put a product out there that will sell. So hopefully soon enough they'll prove to be successful here and that alone should draw the interest of some of Americas best high school talent, but then again how much did success help Petrino's recruiting here or for that matter Beilema's at Wisconsin?? Mediocre at best and that's on an average of being rated outside of the top 25 yearly in recruiting for both coaches.

But I'm still a hog fan and hoping for the best regardless... but it's soo annoying I just had to rant a little to get this off my chest some, but any hoot..... WPS!! Go Hogs!!!
I'm delighted to see that with all your professed faith and confidence in CBB and staff your resisting the temptation of going the way of dwcherr, poloprince, and others when it comes to becoming another "chicken little". Do they let you out of that padded cell more than once a week or do they keep you under very close surveillance?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 19, 2013, 09:55:21 pm
I'm delighted to see that with all your professed faith and confidence in CBB and staff your resisting the temptation of going the way of dwcheer and others when it comes to becoming another "chicken little". Do they let you out of that padded cell more than once a week or do they keep you under very close surveillance?
Shhhhh.  He doesn't know.  He thinks it's a romper room.

Vantage 8 dude

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on June 19, 2013, 09:51:35 pm

According to Rivals, of the four schools you mention in your thread, Arkansas is in the recruiting lead as of today:

How many commits a team has at this point is really not as important unless you think there will be teams in the SEC that will not be able to fill all their scholarships.  Each team gets around 25 that they can sign, give or take a few timing issues.

Loved the Texas comparison as proof that Kentucky is a world beater in recruiting.  That was rich.   Texas is at 3.28 with 19 recruits.  I've never seen their average that low.  Their avg is usually around 4.00

What do you think is going to happen?  CBB gonna end up with a 12 signee class?   LOL
Like a laser beam you drilled precisely down to the core of the matter! BINGO and +1

BigSexyHog

Kentucky has 20 3* recruits already... They are done and will be coming back down to earth very soon.  Same with Tenner... They can only take so many.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 19, 2013, 05:54:23 pm
Precisely almost ???

Almost exactly..?

Same Difference..?  <--one of my all time favorite pet peeves...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hawgzinbowlz

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LedZepHog on June 19, 2013, 05:50:49 pm
Then there will be gobs of excuses, just like there always are, as to why we didn't pull down a Top 10 class.....and it's not really true that we're falling behind Auburn and Tennessee and Ole Miss in recruiting because blah blah blah.......
It bears repeating: let's just wait and see what NSD holds. While we MAY not end up with a top 10 class I suspect we may have an excellent chance of surpassing said Tenny, UK, AWbarn and even Ole Misery. All will be revealed in good time.....

Ham Sandwich

First of all,  I know some might not like to hear this, but Rivals is definitely the best service in terms of recruiting rankings.

To elaborate on what somebody else said, Rivals also only ranks your top 20 players for your class.

So yeah, teams like Kentucky and others with a ton of commits already will likely move down unless the rest of their commits are high 4 stars and of course 5 stars.

Also, for whatever reason highly rated Offensive skilled players give you more points than other high rated positioned players.(At least I'm pretty sure on that last bit)

But any way, give it some time. We really do have some really good recruiters on our staff. More than we've ever had, at least since these recruiting ranking sites have come out.

The fact that we have so much time with a staff that has more recruiters than we've ever had, I'm really not worried. We will get in on more 4 stars down the road that we have no clue about yet.

I really hope and think we'll have at least a top 20 class on rivals. If we can consistently do that we're going to be having a lot of fun in the next few years. Not only do we have more solid recruiters than we've ever had on our staff, these guys are great at developing players. That is what basically half of our staff is known for as well.

LRHawg

This discussion is irrelevant until February of next year. 

WorfHog

Quote from: LRHawg on June 20, 2013, 03:21:19 am
This discussion is irrelevant until February of next year.

But the sky is falling.

MuskogeeHogFan

I wouldn't let this worry me too much at this point.

Check out the average Rivals Team rankings over the past four years (2010-2013).

Alabama               #2
Florida                  #5.3
Auburn                 #7.3
LSU                      #9
Georgia                 #11
Tennessee             #15
Texas A&M            #17.5
S. Carolina            #19.3
Ole Miss                #21
Arkansas               #33.5 (#49, #24, #34, #27) #27 in 2013 with less than 2 months to work with.
Miss St                  #34.5
Missouri                 #35.3
Vanderbilt              #44.8
Kentucky               #50.5

Let's not get too upset just yet. I'm pretty sure that this staff will pull in a pretty solid class for 2014 and yeah, they are certainly working to improve the level of player that they bring into the program. Proving that last year was an abberation in terms of W-L record in 2013 will probably do a great deal for the value of the 2014 recruiting class.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Titanis on June 20, 2013, 04:58:14 am
But the sky is falling.
Yeah, 'cause you can only ink any and all recruits who've pledged by the middle of June after all.

ARtillahog

CBB gonna end up with a 12 signee class?   LOL

Hahahahahaha! I bet that's exactly what they think. +1

Vantage 8 dude

Don't all you kool aid drinkers realize CBB and staff can only sign the five kids who've pledged so far? Heck, I thought everyone knew that! No wonder some on here are panicking about this class......the numbers will get you every time.

RazorReddie

^^^^^^^^^^
     THIS

Be careful around here sportster.  When you post facts about Kenutucky, Tenn, and Auburn getting a later start than Arkansas but still outrecruiting us it disturbs the KoolAid drinkers and hoggier than thou fans.

Sportster has his facts right, they are just a little inconvenient.  He isn't indicting Bielema and his staff, just pointing out a fact.  Lets hope this heralded staff can pick up the pace and live up to their billing as super recruiters. 

They showed ability by signing a couple highly rated OL and pulling a highly sought after running back out of Florida.  That bodes well for the team, but unfortunately we reside in the SEC West.  A handful of recruits goes nowhere in this league. Looking forward to seeing them close the next class. 

GO HOGS !!!!!!!!!!
"Life's tough, even tougher if you're stupid"

Pork Twain

Quote from: SSJ on June 19, 2013, 09:06:33 pm
Are they starting qb's in the NFL?  That is specifically what I said.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Very rational post and factual too.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: BeoPig™ on June 20, 2013, 09:47:46 am
Are they starting qb's in the NFL?  That is specifically what I said.

Already covered on last page, read more post less.....

Quote from: SSJ on June 19, 2013, 09:14:47 pm

RazorPiggie

Quote from: RazorReddie on June 20, 2013, 09:43:45 am
^^^^^^^^^^
     THIS

Be careful around here sportster.  When you post facts about Kenutucky, Tenn, and Auburn getting a later start than Arkansas but still outrecruiting us it disturbs the KoolAid drinkers and hoggier than thou fans.

Sportster has his facts right, they are just a little inconvenient.  He isn't indicting Bielema and his staff, just pointing out a fact.  Lets hope this heralded staff can pick up the pace and live up to their billing as super recruiters. 

They showed ability by signing a couple highly rated OL and pulling a highly sought after running back out of Florida.  That bodes well for the team, but unfortunately we reside in the SEC West.  A handful of recruits goes nowhere in this league. Looking forward to seeing them close the next class. 

GO HOGS !!!!!!!!!!

ITS THE MIDDLE OF JUNE.

secfan30

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 19, 2013, 10:12:01 pm
Like a laser beam you drilled precisely down to the core of the matter! BINGO and +1

Are you sure that its not precisely around the core of the matter?

sportster365

I'm not ragging on this coaching staff. All I'm doing is stating the obvious. Look none of these coaches came here promising us a top 25 recruiting class year after year. If I had any beef it would be with the members of the Arkansas sports media that painted the picture of this being an outstanding recruiting staff, although this maybe so, but it's still yet to be proven.

I know its premature, but this actually stems back to the end of the last recruiting cycle in comparison to each SEC school that hired new head football coaches. And since someone mention that the avg. star rating is what's most important out of those 4 schools Arkansas finished the recruiting cycle off in last then too.

Avg. Points Per Commit & Conf. Record
Auburn (0-8) 3.57
Tennessee (1-7) 3.19
Kentucky (0-8) 3.05
Arkansas (2-6) 2.96

I'm not predicting anything bad, I'm just posing a question. I was told this staff was built to recruit and the only way to judge that truthfully is to compare them to their counterparts. I choose to look at things realistically and not from a wishfull thinking perspective that some of you so choose to do. I pay attention to recruiting and for me to say I'm not somewhat alarmed about the clamoring Kentucky and Tennessee is making so far in the world of recruiting would be much more than an understatement. It's like ignoring the big blue and orange elephant in the room in which I feel some of you are trying to do and as a fan I fully understand why.

Here's what I don't understand, to your avid college football fan and HS recruits, Bret Bielema's a household name so to speak. Similar to C B.S. walking up to a kid and saying hey I'm Bob Stoops I want you to come play for me, or a Nick Saban in Alabama approaching a kid, CBB is in the same class as these guys are imo. He's one of college footballs elite coaches. When I compare him to a Butch Jones, Gus Malzahn or Mark Stoops or even a Hugh Freeze, his name, resume and credentials far exceeds any of them, yet those guys are out recruiting him thus far. Call it the gift of gab or just the right personality, Im not sure. In any hoot it is what it is.

Pork Twain

Quote from: SSJ on June 20, 2013, 09:58:34 am
Already covered on last page, read more post less.....

Says the guy that did not comprehend my post.  Here is what I do...  I read and reply in order.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: BeoPig™ on June 20, 2013, 12:30:40 pm
Says the guy that did not comprehend my post.  Here is what I do...  I read and reply in order.

Says the guy "Electronic Intelligence"  8)

Pork Twain

RazorPiggie

Turminator

Everyone needs to relax, they just signed a 38 star place kicker