Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do you entertain yourself on long flights?

Started by theFlyingHog, October 13, 2011, 10:23:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

There's the "What If" game.
Predicting performance.
Talking about women.
I usually leave politics alone.
Seeing how far away you can pick up CTAF chatter.
I've worked on my different accents in the traffic pattern late at night.

?

Flying Razorback

20 questions with the other jet if you're in formation.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

theFlyingHog

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 13, 2011, 10:25:06 pm
20 questions with the other jet if you're in formation.
Haha. I 've done formation twice, once because someone thought it would be a grand idea to depart 4M3 on my butt and give the poor new girl at LIT approach a panic attack when I call up with someone 1/4 mile in trail

MDH

I know for a fact that the some of the Gulfstream pilots (on the aircraft we had installled broadband on) were watching a slingbox on their iPads.

Of course you don't really fly a G-IV, 450, V, or 550.  You turn knobs.  They still technically land it, but primarily they are just cockpit managers.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

dc10x1103

the longest flt i had was from london over the pole to anchorage. a little over 9 hrs. the only problem was that it was with a check airman in the right seat.  i had to stay about 46.5% alert the whole way.  the normal entertainment had to be put on hold.  a normal over the water flt of 7 hrs (anchorage-japan) you did just about anything you wanted. there was a once a hour position report to air rink.  there was normally no contact except for that.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: MDH on October 14, 2011, 05:38:57 pm
I know for a fact that the some of the Gulfstream pilots (on the aircraft we had installled broadband on) were watching a slingbox on their iPads.

Of course you don't really fly a G-IV, 450, V, or 550.  You turn knobs.  They still technically land it, but primarily they are just cockpit managers.

So true everywhere, it's pervasive in the new age culture.  I try to hand fly as much as I can to keep proficiency but there's times where it's not really convenient and a lot of place it's not even allowed like RVSM airspace
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

i dont have autopilot so i guess i will trim for entertainment.

also, flyingrzrbkaf the 1/4 trail comment made me lol...
You are what you tolerate.

Hogbus320

October 20, 2011, 12:25:00 pm #7 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:32:09 pm by gotyacovered
Play with the MCDU and see what all it can (and can't) do.  Text with dispatch on ACARS. See how many different ATIS printouts you can get.  Of course we have wifi on board and are allowed to check company and flight relevant websites...(sure..that's the only thing we check).  Eat whatever is left over from first.  That is a pretty typical transcon for me.