Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring game and off season questions

Started by Rod6275, April 12, 2015, 04:36:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod6275

to kill a little time, I  had  a few  questions  for  the  fans:

the extra time we got for the bowl game, how much does it REALLY  help  to carry on  to next season?

Guys that enter in January, go through spring practice,   chance they really start in the  fall , or  just  an edge on scout team

Spring game.... why can NEB  bring in 71, 000 on a  new  coach we  can't cover the  spread at 40, 000  on our  home  turf?  do we  need  to bring in a  "half time "  gimmick to  bring a Saturday afternoon of fans.... Bama brings in 80, 000 plus...just saying

and  one  more thought.... why in the  world does Vandy   have   spring  ball so early, they had  spring  game  4 weeks ago... is there some madness to having  all your  spring drills in the  winter... in doors in Nashville?   does this  now  give  you  the  rest of  the  summer  to get you  team together  so  you  can...win the  first  game?

I hang up and listen... back to drinking    :razorback:
Choose This Day Who you will Serve...As For Me...It  Is The Hogs !

ZERO

Quote from: Rod6275 on April 12, 2015, 04:36:33 pm
Spring game.... why can NEB  bring in 71, 000 on a  new  coach we  can't cover the  spread at 40, 000  on our  home  turf?  do we  need  to bring in a  "half time "  gimmick to  bring a Saturday afternoon of fans.... Bama brings in 80, 000 plus...just saying

Well, Nebraska was basically Alabama in the '90s, and they honestly haven't been "bad" since. Bo Pelini went 9-4 or 10-4 in each of his six or so years before they canned him.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Bigpiggin

Those extra bowl practices are huge for developing your underclassmen that haven't seen much or any playing time. Up until the week of the bowl game they really work with those guys a lot.

ricepig

The coaches all say the bowl prep is great for the guys that didn't play much, or redshirted.

I think it's an edge for skill guys to learn the play book, giving them a leg up. It also lets them get accustomed to college and everything involved with it.

We had 50,000 2 years ago, less last year, but waiting for the ground to dry to plant corn is all they have to do in Nebraska.

No idea on Vandy.

GoHogs1091

There is basically only 2 things to do for the people in Nebraska.

Plant and grow corn
Attend Nebraska football games and scrimmages

The Nebraska football fanbase is perhaps the most loyal fanbase in all of College Football.

ShadowTheHedgehog

and  one  more thought.... why in the  world does Vandy   have   spring  ball so early, they had  spring  game  4 weeks ago...

Probably so it does not coincide with the national chess and Magic the Gathering tournaments, that are the real sports at Vandy.

Biggus Piggus

Vanderbilt did its spring practice so early because its coaches didn't want much time to pass after ending a horrible season.

I have my own question. Which position is the most vulnerable to a falloff because of injury, in your opinion?

I'm not going to say quarterback. I believe the Hogs would be OK if they had to play a backup QB. Maybe not as good, but OK.

I can see three positions where the team's performance would change quite a bit with one injury. Tailback, left offensive tackle, and linebacker.

I'm pretty sure that Arkansas's true No. 2 left tackle is Dan Skipper, the starter at right tackle. Maybe he could not handle all the pass protection on the left side + needed to be moved so the Oline had a chance to improve, but it seems the Hogs do not have a usable second teamer behind Denver Kirkland.

Maybe the freshman Rawleigh Williams is going to be an instant stud. Don't know yet. But Arkansas is counting on Jonathan Williams and Alex Collins for huge production. The depth chart behind them is really thin in spring.

Linebacker's an obvious one. Depth is minimal, and two starters are way ahead of everyone else (unless Randy Ramsey really makes a move).

Also thinking that wide receiver has its issues. If Dominique Reed gets lost on the way to eligibility, or doesn't produce as anticipated, big dropoff. If Keon Hatcher goes down, big dropoff. At least the WR positions have enough bodies to cover losses, though the quality level drops off.

[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 12, 2015, 05:22:53 pm
Vanderbilt did its spring practice so early because its coaches didn't want much time to pass after ending a horrible season.

I have my own question. Which position is the most vulnerable to a falloff because of injury, in your opinion?

I'm not going to say quarterback. I believe the Hogs would be OK if they had to play a backup QB. Maybe not as good, but OK.

I can see three positions where the team's performance would change quite a bit with one injury. Tailback, left offensive tackle, and linebacker.

I'm pretty sure that Arkansas's true No. 2 left tackle is Dan Skipper, the starter at right tackle. Maybe he could not handle all the pass protection on the left side + needed to be moved so the Oline had a chance to improve, but it seems the Hogs do not have a usable second teamer behind Denver Kirkland.

Maybe the freshman Rawleigh Williams is going to be an instant stud. Don't know yet. But Arkansas is counting on Jonathan Williams and Alex Collins for huge production. The depth chart behind them is really thin in spring.

Linebacker's an obvious one. Depth is minimal, and two starters are way ahead of everyone else (unless Randy Ramsey really makes a move).

Also thinking that wide receiver has its issues. If Dominique Reed gets lost on the way to eligibility, or doesn't produce as anticipated, big dropoff. If Keon Hatcher goes down, big dropoff. At least the WR positions have enough bodies to cover losses, though the quality level drops off.

LB commentary for me is almost at the inoculation stage. We have been so inferior at LB, or so lacking in LB depth, or both, for so long that I struggle to recalibrate my view of the situation. I would like to think having SEC bodies and speed at least counts for something. Again, this is accompanied by a two-fisted eye rub as I try to recalibrate my perspective.

What might be more amazing is how we have managed to cobble together serviceable LB play and accumulate bodies who can at least compete for a spot (and contribute a lot on ST). Too bad we need a couple of bodies to graduate first, but we knew this was happening. Wish we had one more in the 2015 class.

RB depth is downright scary. Be nice to find an early graduate who wants PT via transfer.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Mike Irwin

I've never believed that the crowd at a spring game has much to do with anything. Of course each school would like as many fans as possible for PR purposes but most spring games are for show and don't really address much.

The scrimmage Arkansas had on Saturday was much more competitive than the Red White game will be.

If I had to make a choice as a fan I'd go to a scrimmage over the spring game.

Rod6275

Choose This Day Who you will Serve...As For Me...It  Is The Hogs !

carolinahogger

to kill a little time, I  had  a few  questions  for  the  fans:

the extra time we got for the bowl game, how much does it REALLY  help  to carry on  to next season?

Guys that enter in January, go through spring practice,   chance they really start in the  fall , or  just  an edge on scout team

and  one  more thought.... why in the  world does Vandy   have   spring  ball so early, they had  spring  game  4 weeks ago... is there some madness to having  all your  spring drills in the  winter... in doors in Nashville?   does this  now  give  you  the  rest of  the  summer  to get you  team together  so  you  can...win the  first  game?

I hang up and listen... back to drinking    :razorback:

Your post raises another question:  What the heck is going on with all that spacing and funky punctuation?

BPsTheMan

linebacker depth is a bit of an issue, but the talent we do have at LB is some of the best we've seen in decades

JIHawg

Not that many Arkansans are so bored that they would attend a meaningless, vanilla wafer red white game on a beautiful spring day.

Nashville Fan

Vandy didn't want the spring game to interfere with academics. The longer they wait the closer to finals. April 21-30th.
Pittman or Bust!