Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 11, 2015 Practice report (All things Saturday scrimmage)

Started by Ugly Uncle, April 11, 2015, 11:35:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

Mike I -  do you have any further detail about Collins?  How bad "stung his ankle"?  I'm also curious on your take of Reid Miller thus far?

And, 1 interception or not...  17 of 23, for 229 yds & 2 TDs is juuuuust fine by me. 

HogHomer

Quote from: Augustus on April 11, 2015, 06:34:14 pm
Mike I -  do you have any further detail about Collins?  How bad "stung his ankle"?  I'm also curious on your take of Reid Miller thus far?

And, 1 interception or not...  17 of 23, for 229 yds & 2 TDs is juuuuust fine by me. 
Not Mike but it looked like it just got twisted a bit. They tapped it up then he had a couple more runs then just put Kody Walker and Conner McPherson out there to get the rest of the carries in the second half of the scrimmage.

Reid Miller is is a smart player like he has to be. He wasn't gifted with height but he was gifted with instincts. If anything he will be a great special teams player like Seth Amburst(SP?) was for us but I could definitely see him getting some snaps on defense before his time at the UofA is over.

Augustus

Quote from: HogHomer on April 11, 2015, 06:38:26 pm
Not Mike but it looked like it just got twisted a bit. They tapped it up then he had a couple more runs then just put Kody Walker and Conner McPherson out there to get the rest of the carries in the second half of the scrimmage.

Reid Miller is is a smart player like he has to be. He wasn't gifted with height but he was gifted with instincts. If anything he will be a great special teams player like Seth Amburst(SP?) was for us but I could definitely see him getting some snaps on defense before his time at the UofA is over.

Ah, thanks! Glad to hear it wasn't more serious.

I hope we see some good things from Kody this year.  Losing Korliss was a bad deal, hopefully Kody can add another threat to the running game.

Arkansas WR

Quote from: HogHomer on April 11, 2015, 06:32:36 pm
Alright so on the BA "pick" it was a pass to Hunter Henry on the sideline and Rohan undercut it had his hands on the ball and dropped it when he hit the ground. Not a pick but could have been. Hope this clears it up.
Thats what I saw too

ZERO

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on April 11, 2015, 05:09:56 pm
I think it's ok that we have two differing opinions on this.

I also enjoy differing opinions. But statistics aren't opinions. It's weird that an interception was seen by at least three people on this site, but not added onto his stats. Some said he looked inconsistent, but his stat on completions was 73%. That would obviously be lower if you factored in this phantom int. I don't think that his stats were padded for whatever reason, but someone made a mistake today. I kind of wonder if there were other mistakes that went overlooked.

For the record, I like Brandon Allen. I think he's come into his own and will really show it next year. But I also don't think Prestworthy has an agenda. We went 7-6, 4-8, and 3-9 over the past three years, right after coming off of 11-2 and #5. He's probably just trying to remain a realist and keep expectations grounded.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

ZERO

Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

hawginbigd1

Hogarusa

This thread is great. I went to the scrimmage and enjoyed.  Surprised there weren't more Hog fans out on a beautiful Saturday morning.  Enjoyed seeing screens being run in drills but didn't attempt any during the scrimmage by the time I left at 1.  Also enjoyed looking at the QB drills and seeing 4 guys who were 4 star in high school.  Will Gragg is a big dude.  I didn't see it but awesome to hear that the struggling kicker made a 59 yard FG.  Good times
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

The real Hogules

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 11, 2015, 11:35:28 am
Well, my allergies has turned into an infection and I am stuck, sick in bed today.  Not able to make it out to the scrimmage.

But here is a chance to see how great Hogville is.  When you get back from the scrimmage today, post in here.  I'm looking forward to hearing many different view points on how the team is looking.

Thanks again.

UU

Get well, soon!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

lumphog

Theolesnort

There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Augustus

For those who have been the last 2 weekends... what about JaMichael Winston?

Any thoughts as to how he will help fill the gap left my Flowers & Philon?

Prestworthy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 05:07:06 pm
This claim is flat silly. He threw over the middle into a crowd and threaded the needle several times. Your avatar suggests that you are impressed with Robb Smith.
Who do you think BA and his receivers were going up against, a bunch of slugs?
Wanna talk about something else besides BA?  I'd like to.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TexHog188 on April 11, 2015, 07:34:41 pm
Hey Mike, which receivers stood out today?
Hatcher had a solid return off injury. Bielema wanted to hold him out until next week but he said Hatcher was dying to get into the scrimmage.  Jo Jo had a couple of nice catches and was the victim of pass interference that wasn't called on another. Duwop caught a nice ball in traffic and Jared Cornelius looked good.

Mike Irwin

Prestworthy

Anyway, I thought Duwop definitely looked the part.  Dude looked huge.  I was also really impressed with Brian Wallace.  He looks every bit of 6'6", maybe bigger.  I didn't watch him a ton, but when I did, he was immovable. 

Prestworthy

Quote from: Augustus on April 11, 2015, 08:17:18 pm
For those who have been the last 2 weekends... what about JaMichael Winston?

Any thoughts as to how he will help fill the gap left my Flowers & Philon?
He was another that looked great today.  I think he will be an NFL player one day.

Hawgzinbowlz

Brandon had an outstanding scrimmage, with good decision making throughout, and his movement in the pocket was efficient while under duress from our relentless D. His passes were tight/crisp and on target enough to keep the chains moving. He checked down continuously and when nothing was available, he got rid of the ball to avoid a negative play. He made some nice run decisions and running was clearly his last option. During season he should pick up some critical 1st downs with his legs. I didn't see any discomfort in running the offense. This was against a defense that looks like it will adjust to the loss of Trey, Philon and Spaight and have an equal or better performance than they did in '14.
HH looked like he was on a pitch count and Jeremy Sprinkle showed his athletic ability on several plays. We had a TE as the slot receiver in several formations. Duwop's athleticism was evident on one particular play where he picked up good yardage in heavy traffic. He's not afraid to cross into the middle of the second level and good things happen when he gets the ball. Glad to see him landing at a good spot with a chance to produce for The Hogs.
I didn't keep notes but the WR corps held onto the ball for the most part. One receiver had a wide open drop, went to the sidelines and did a few pushups. The DBs caused some well timed breakups and played the receivers tight. I think it was Keon that had two DBs bracketing him and he held onto the ball after two hard, simultaneous hits.
AC had a few touch's and his effort after first contact will be help us in the fall. It got quiet when he sat on the ground after getting dinged...and the oxygen returned to DWRRS when he got up and gingerly walked to the sideline. Cody Walker looked solid and while he isn't necessarily a game breaker he was very respectable, made nice moves in heavy traffic for positive results. CW is the kind of back that will keep the chains moving and I felt better about the RB situation after today's scrimmage. McPherson has a lot of nerve as he went into the teeth of a tough D over and over, all day long.
The ferocity and energy of our D reflects CRS being in his second year. We look like a respectable SEC defense and I expect an equal or better defense than last year. We look better now than at the same time of Spring practice in '14.
Hjalte has calf muscles that look like small trees. Before he leaves our program he will be one the best D linemen we've ever had. I only watched HF on several plays, against the 1s OL, and it was a standup stalemate, every time, and once he was double teamed. Country strong, and I'm glad it's Hog country...Stout, stout freshman. Our D line depth is noticeably better and seems to be catching up with CSP crew on the OL. It was tough interior yards against the DL today.
The LB play was acceptable and it looks like we are working on the chemistry of some new positions/new starters. If we develop depth at LB we'll be OK.
It's been a long time since our DB position has been this good in the middle of Spring practice. We play the receivers, play the ball and tackle at an SEC level...And we're not afraid to put a lick on someone, and actually seem to like it.
Here's to Blake Johnsons health, particularly his leg. I saw a few decent punts, and a few is the correct word.
Adam McFain will likely be our kicker as he seemed more consistent. Not quite the distance of Cole and at the same time he had better elevation and accuracy. Toward the end of the scrimmage Adam kicked a 55 yarder and Cole kicked a 59 yarder. Adam looks farther along and with last years experience he'll be OK.
Oh yeah, JWill kept walking the sidelines and every time I looked at him I felt better about '15. Glad he came back and we'll be better than '14. In the SEC West we'll see where being better than last year lands us.
I saw improved depth and more cohesive play on both sides of the ball compared to CBBs first and second season.
Glad I went.

" GO HOGS "

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ZERO on April 11, 2015, 07:08:31 pm
I also enjoy differing opinions. But statistics aren't opinions. It's weird that an interception was seen by at least three people on this site, but not added onto his stats. Some said he looked inconsistent, but his stat on completions was 73%. That would obviously be lower if you factored in this phantom int. I don't think that his stats were padded for whatever reason, but someone made a mistake today. I kind of wonder if there were other mistakes that went overlooked.

For the record, I like Brandon Allen. I think he's come into his own and will really show it next year. But I also don't think Prestworthy has an agenda. We went 7-6, 4-8, and 3-9 over the past three years, right after coming off of 11-2 and #5. He's probably just trying to remain a realist and keep expectations grounded.
This is a bizarre post. You appear to be suggesting that a dozen media members working for different employers all missed an interception and therefore may have missed other stuff as well.

Well they didn't miss anything. There was no pick. It wasn't added to the stats because it didn't happen and BA's completion percentage is correct.

Again, there were some battles being waged out there today. Bielema told the offensive and defensive coaches to cut loose. The whole offense was in and he wanted to see where they stood with it. Considering the fact that Jonathan Williams was withheld and Alex Collins had only six carries I thought the passing game was outstanding. None of the quarterbacks looked bad. Enos has clearly improved the quarterbacks as a group.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2015, 08:35:09 pm
?
You came on this board and created the impression that Brandon Allen didn't look particularly good today. You were wrong about the interception and your claim that he was inconsistent throughout the scrimmage is also wrong. It's as simple as that.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2015, 04:55:11 pm
He looked great for only playing college football for a few months!  He will be a very good QB. 

But BA was inconsistent.

You aren't bringing much to the board when you are such a biased poster.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Josh Goforth

On the red zone situational stuff where BA ended up running it in, Hatcher was not happy. He had his guy beat easily and Allen didn't throw it, used some expletives after the play. He knows as well as I do that Allen taking off when wearing a green jersey is not going to work in a game situation. BA looked solid, missed a couple and they really didn't call a lot of downfield stuff which is fine just moving the chains against a very capable defense.

PaintballHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 11, 2015, 09:06:38 pm
But BA was inconsistent.

You aren't bringing much to the board when you are such a biased poster.

How is it biased to have a difference of opinion? I don't know his total post history, but he seems like an honest poster to me.

Prestworthy

Quote from: jg8417 on April 11, 2015, 09:15:57 pm
On the red zone situational stuff where BA ended up running it in, Hatcher was not happy. He had his guy beat easily and Allen didn't throw it, used some expletives after the play. He knows as well as I do that Allen taking off when wearing a green jersey is not going to work in a game situation. BA looked solid, missed a couple and they really didn't call a lot of downfield stuff which is fine just moving the chains against a very capable defense.
Incoming!!

Prestworthy

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 11, 2015, 09:41:08 pm
How is it biased to have a difference of opinion? I don't know his total post history, but he seems like an honest poster to me.
Thanks. And yes, TY looked great for a kid who played on Fridays just a few months ago.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 09:05:39 pm
You came on this board and created the impression that Brandon Allen didn't look particularly good today. You were wrong about the interception and your claim that he was inconsistent throughout the scrimmage is also wrong. It's as simple as that.
My fault...the interception was dropped while he hit the ground.  The defensive coaches and players were jumping up and down and celebrating because they thought it was a pick too.  But what about the rest of my observations?  Why single that one out?

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

razorback44

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2015, 10:05:03 pm
My fault...the interception was dropped while he hit the ground.  The defensive coaches and players were jumping up and down and celebrating because they thought it was a pick too.  But what about the rest of my observations?  Why single that one out?

I'm just guessing but it was your very first point and inaccurate. Perhaps if it was buried deeper in your feedback then it wouldn't have been jumped on but it is right there at the top for everyone to see first.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

20hog11

I seem to remember that being a different play. Maybe the play before Brandon ran it in. I could've swore that Keon got upset on a different play where BA threw an incompletion. It was during that series though.

20hog11

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 11, 2015, 10:15:59 pm
I miss ONE practice and everything falls apart.

Seriously though..... Funny how people can see things in different ways even when it's clearly black and white..... Oh well. Hope you get to feeling better real soon.

tophawg19

What about the deep passes?that was where b a really struggled last year. We need to have that improved to get over the hump next season . We have to have quick strike ability to help the run game
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

razorback44

Quote from: 20hog11 on April 11, 2015, 10:22:51 pm
Seriously though..... Funny how people can see things in different ways even when it's clearly black and white..... Oh well. Hope you get to feeling better real soon.

This is why I never take anyone's "practice reports" completely serious. Everyone sees things differently. Especially depending on their level of football knowledge.

They're fun to read because it's something new but I wouldn't ever take any of them as 100% accurate.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Mike Irwin

I saw that play clearly. Allen would have scored. They blew the whistle after he crossed the goal line. You or me or anyone else not on that team does not have a clue what Hatcher was thinking. He may have wanted the ball but that doesn't mean he was thinking that Allen would not have scored in that situation in a game.

What's amazing me is this continued notion that Allen is the only QB who doesn't spot an open receiver. It happens. The guy had six incompletions out of 23 attempts. One of the incompletions was a clear case of  pass interference. Two more were throwaways because he was about to be sacked. Two more were dropped. I guess you could say he screwed up on the other one.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: razorback44 on April 11, 2015, 10:16:48 pm
I'm just guessing but it was your very first point and inaccurate. Perhaps if it was buried deeper in your feedback then it wouldn't have been jumped on but it is right there at the top for everyone to see first.
Honestly it wasn't the claimed interception that bothered me. It was the bogus observation that Brandon Allen was inconsistent throughout the scrimmage.

If Allen had completed less than 50 % of his passes I could see it but 73% ? How do you do that and be inconsistent throughout the scrimmage?

20hog11

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 10:45:59 pm
Honestly it wasn't the claimed interception that bothered me. It was the bogus observation that Brandon Allen was inconsistent throughout the scrimmage.

If Allen had completed less than 50 % of his passes I could see it but 73% ? How do you do that and be inconsistent throughout the scrimmage?

When someone is watching without keeping track of the details, they will compile their own opinion based on what they think they saw. If someone has a predetermined opinion of a player, their incompleteions will stand out more than all of the completions will. Biased opinions. I thought BA looked good even before seeing the actual stats. No huge plays, but he moved the sticks and was smart with the ball. Pretty much what is being asked of him specially in a spring scrimmage where the coaches clearly leave wrinkles out to avoid exposing them to other teams.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 10:45:59 pm

Just about any QB can be consistent on passes to the flat.  How many of BA's strikes downfield were incompletions?  How many did he complete for 15+ yards?  That's where the inconsistency comes from.   

HogHomer

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 11, 2015, 10:26:11 pm
What about the deep passes?that was where b a really struggled last year. We need to have that improved to get over the hump next season . We have to have quick strike ability to help the run game
From what I saw they were focusing on mostly short and intermediate routes. I did see us throw to the middle a lot more often and to great effect. I still think it is the fact we don't have a deep threat. The deep pass that I remember was a go to Morgan and it was incomplete.

Right now the only player on our current roster, who I believe, that has the potential to be our deep target right now is Hawkins. He has been limited in his previous years by inconsistency in his routes and hands. From what I have seen and read he has improved in both.

Duwop could be a depth threat with his size and speed but I think he isn't accustom to tracking down the deep ball which is expected from a guy who has only played the position for about a year.

Now when we get Reed on the into the program I expect this to change. If we aren't hitting deep routes to Reed then I will be very concerned with our ability to stretch the field

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2015, 10:58:46 pm
Just about any QB can be consistent on passes to the flat.  How many of BA's strikes downfield were incompletions?  How many did he complete for 15+ yards?  That's where the inconsistency comes from.
From memory I saw several over the middle completions in a crowd including one to Sprinkle, one to Duwop and one to Hatcher.

I can account for his incompletions. Again, two were throwaways in the redzone under pressure. Two were dropped and there was pass interference on another. That leaves one bad throw that was unintentional.

Mike Irwin

It you want to talk inconsistency look at the running game.

Collins: 6 for 28, 4.6 ypc
Walker 20 for 69, 3.4 ypc
McPherson 17-48, 2.8 ypc

The only reason that's not cause for concern is the absence of J-Will and the fact that Collins banged himself up early in the scrimmage.

The lack of an effective running game makes the passing numbers even more impressive. The four QB's went 35-49 for 395 yards and three touchdowns.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 11:08:50 pm
From memory I saw several over the middle completions in a crowd including one to Sprinkle, one to Duwop and one to Hatcher.

I can account for his incompletions. Again, two were throwaways in the redzone under pressure. Two were dropped and there was pass interference on another. That leaves one bad throw that was unintentional.
Wow did you chart all of his attempts?

fsmhogfan

From what I saw, BA looked good. I thought the pick/dropped pick was after the play was blown dead. Also was impressed with Froholte's size and strength inside for a kid that should still be in high school. Wasn't able to stay for whole practice but didn't see any screen plays. Did anybody else?

Prestworthy

Quote from: fsmhogfan on April 11, 2015, 11:30:47 pm
From what I saw, BA looked good. I thought the pick/dropped pick was after the play was blown dead. Also was impressed with Froholte's size and strength inside for a kid that should still be in high school. Wasn't able to stay for whole practice but didn't see any screen plays. Did anybody else?
I don't remember seeing one.

Tusks

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2015, 10:58:46 pm

BA avg. 9.9 yards per attempt.  Sims led the SEC last year at 9.2 with Prescott 2nd at 8.7.

I guess they threw a LOT to the flats also.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

20hog11

They did run a screen play during warm ups but not during the scrimmage. We probably won't see much of that until the fall.

bennyl08

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 11:08:50 pm

Maybe he thought BA's reads were inconsistent. Maybe the passes he threw were great but he was inconsistent at feeling the pass rush and took too many sacks or scrambled too early. Maybe some of the completed passes were more on the receiver than the QB. I.e. he was inconsistent of his accuracy and he would hit the receiver perfectly one pass and then throw an off pass another attempt that the receiver still caught, but had to dive to get, etc...

I didn't see anything and have no idea. Both of you actually did. It's just that it is pretty common for people to talk about how a quarterback's play didn't really match up with his stats. Sometimes a qb plays a great game, and it's just that the stats don't reflect it. Other times, he puts up good stats, but they aren't so much a reflection of the quarterback himself.

From what I've read, it sounds like BA had a very good day.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse