Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 11, 2015 Practice report (All things Saturday scrimmage)

Started by Ugly Uncle, April 11, 2015, 11:35:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

trippigs

I watched Alex after he got hurt. He seemed pissed about it. Had it wrapped and unwrapped several times. Consistently stretched and moved his ankle. He did play a few downs afterwards so I hope all is ok. He is a thick young man

BPsTheMan

Quote from: trippigs on April 12, 2015, 10:16:02 am
I watched Alex after he got hurt. He seemed pissed about it. Had it wrapped and unwrapped several times. Consistently stretched and moved his ankle. He did play a few downs afterwards so I hope all is ok. He is a thick young man

he looks well over 225 pounds

IBleedRazorbackRed

I wish they would give Johnny Gibson first team reps at left tackle. How do we know he's not the best option if he's only working with the second team?

Josh Goforth

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 12, 2015, 07:52:06 am
All they had to do was touch him with a hand and they would have blown the whistle and he would have been down. I didn't see the play but if he went in untouched, he might have scored just as easily (or more so) in a game. The green jersey is just to protect him from taking full contact hits so I'd have to disagree with your opinion that it was "cheap" for BA to take off with the ball.
Getting in from the goaline scrambling when the defense cant go low per coaches rules, cant dive, or throw a shoulder and has to touch the qb is not what an OC wants to see. Pretty easy to scoot in to the endzone when the D is reigned in that way also with the though of what happens if they did cause a colision on the starting QB.
I think its reasonable to scramble when needed like against TT last season where he scored in the redzone against a poor defense. Rafe Peavy did that a lot in the practices i watched last year and I would really like to see them let him take the green jersey off and scramble. Prob not going to happen though.

HoopS

I get that we have to have a backup ready. It appears that our backups have made strides toward that. But we have the chance to have a special season here in a few months and we have a new OC. We better make sure we don't get caught worrying so much about '16 that our starter this season isn't as ready as we want him to be. It sounds like he is doing quite well. Gotta remember too that having your starting QB get reps means getting your starting WR and TE's reps with your starting QB and it also gets your line reps with him in the huddle and in presnap at the line. All important and while we focus on one person, it effects the whole offense. I don't know about you guys but I want this offense clicking on all cylinders early this fall. Meanwhile, our backups aren't being neglected. They're making strides. Our coaches know what they're doing. We are in good hands. This isn't their first rodeo.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on April 12, 2015, 10:23:52 am
I wish they would give Johnny Gibson first team reps at left tackle. How do we know he's not the best option if he's only working with the second team?

this

Johnny Gibson is getting robbed

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on April 12, 2015, 10:18:30 am
he looks well over 225 pounds

I wouldn't be surprised to see reserve RB's getting all of the carries in the Spring game. J-Will isn't going to be where he can get contact and given Collins tweak of his ankle, I bet they don't take any chances with either of them heading into what could be a really good season for us.

Bielema said this was going to be the most full blown, all ot scrimmage of the season and apparently both sides of the ball pulled out all the stops, even with limited personnel. It is a lot different than when BP would make sure that the defense was set for offensive success in practice.
Go Hogs Go!

SONofHAM

I was at the scrimmage yesterday. 

I made the comment at the time that BA looked comfortable, poised, and relaxed.  His footwork in the QB drills is better than any other QB we have.  You can see by his body language that he's in control of the huddle and he seemed to have a great rapport with Enos.

To say he looked erratic, or "like the same old BA" is just wrong.  And this coming from someone who wanted to see Rafe last year.

I thought Rafe and Austin looked ok yesterday....Ty didn't look bad either but he just didn't get the reps like the other 3.  Rafes' passes looked impressive to me, but he had a couple that didn't hit their mark.  BA is clearly our best. 

I also loved seeing a portion of practice or drills devoted to screen passes and dump off patterns to the RBs.  Seems like a great compliment to our great ground attack. 
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jg8417 on April 12, 2015, 10:24:51 am
Getting in from the goaline scrambling when the defense cant go low per coaches rules, cant dive, or throw a shoulder and has to touch the qb is not what an OC wants to see. Pretty easy to scoot in to the endzone when the D is reigned in that way also with the though of what happens if they did cause a colision on the starting QB.
I think its reasonable to scramble when needed like against TT last season where he scored in the redzone against a poor defense. Rafe Peavy did that a lot in the practices i watched last year and I would really like to see them let him take the green jersey off and scramble. Prob not going to happen though.

Touching a guy with the ball with one hand is a lot easier than making a tackle. You can touch a guy and not even be in a reasonable position to make a sure tackle. That's all that they had to do (rules of the scrimmage with QB's) and that is what I am getting at. Apparently they weren't even in position to just put a hand on him, so him running it in can't be considered to be a "cheap" thing to do on his part, as you said before.
Go Hogs Go!

trippigs

Would someone remind me why jonathon Williams did not play. He was not dressed out

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: trippigs on April 12, 2015, 11:02:16 am
Would someone remind me why jonathon Williams did not play. He was not dressed out
Not risking an injury.  Did the same thing with Flowers last year.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

trippigs

Josh Goforth

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 12, 2015, 10:53:38 am
Touching a guy with the ball with one hand is a lot easier than making a tackle. You can touch a guy and not even be in a reasonable position to make a sure tackle. That's all that they had to do (rules of the scrimmage with QB's) and that is what I am getting at. Apparently they weren't even in position to just put a hand on him, so him running it in can't be considered to be a "cheap" thing to do on his part, as you said before.
Tagging a qb is not easier than tackling, actually much more difficult to come in under control without plastering the guy. Like I said when you cant go low or dive for an ankle, leg, etc it puts a limit on what you can do as a defensive player. His decision making was stellar but Id rather not have the 5th year SR QB scrambling in practice.

Hawgzinbowlz

SIAP : The way to identify the QBs is to look at the decal amount on the back of their helmets.Brandon : The entire back of the helmet is covered with white decals.
             Austin : 35% of the helmet back is covered with decals.
             Rafe : 20% of the helmet back is covered with decals.
             Ty : 0 decals on helmet

" GO HOGS "

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jg8417 on April 12, 2015, 11:18:43 am
Tagging a qb is not easier than tackling, actually much more difficult to come in under control without plastering the guy. Like I said when you cant go low or dive for an ankle, leg, etc it puts a limit on what you can do as a defensive player. His decision making was stellar but Id rather not have the 5th year SR QB scrambling in practice.

OK, you have your opinion and I have mine. I have experienced both. I'd rather knock the crap out of a guy but it is far easier to just lay a single hand on him and get credit for a tackle.
Go Hogs Go!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: jg8417 on April 12, 2015, 10:24:51 am
We can argue about this back and forth. All I can say is I was standing very close to that play. I saw it very clearly. Brandon Allen caught the defense off guard. They had everybody covered that he could see (I'll take your word that somebody was open) on a 3rd and goal from the four yard line. Allen bolted straight up the middle.

One of the defenders recovered and managed to swipe at his left arm as he crossed the goal line. Green Jersey, red jersey, no jersey Brandon Allen would have scored if that had been a real game and nobody on the coaching staff would have said squat because they know that he's got a quick burst and they don't mind him running if he's got a clear path. I know that because I've talked to the coaches about it.

scruf

Prestworthy is always going to question BA, regardless of how well he plays, because RP ran a lot in his HUDL video in HS so he's obvi the next Johnny Football. End of story.

nchogg

When posters talk about BA getting all the reps with the ones, who knows what they do on closed practices. Spring game last year BA is not the only QB that took reps with the ones. Why would backup QB get reps with the ones if they haven't pracitced with them.

Josh Goforth

No doubt the coaches have no problem with him taking off in a game, and I appreciate your inside info on the subject.

Would like to hear their thoughts and plans on using Sprinkle and Henry flexed, like I saw in the scrimmage. Really think that will be a valuable weapon with both of thenm along with Jack Kraus and Gragg. Saw a ton of crossing routes that will be easy for that flexed te to get to in a hurry.

trippigs

Forgot to tell you that I saw Dan Skipper at breakfast this morning. He is a big boy as well. He had gravy...

lumphog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 12, 2015, 11:42:14 am
OK, you have your opinion and I have mine. I have experienced both. I'd rather knock the crap out of a guy but it is far easier to just lay a single hand on him and get credit for a tackle.
You just can't reach some people Musk

razorback44

Quote from: jg8417 on April 12, 2015, 04:10:06 pm
Would like to hear their thoughts and plans on using Sprinkle and Henry flexed, like I saw in the scrimmage. Really think that will be a valuable weapon

We've already done that for the past two years.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Josh Goforth

In a bunch formation, but used Sprinkle as a stand up flexed TE. Last year it was Derby as an hback, wing or inline and Henry either wide, in the slot or in line. I'm sure they have some interesting tricks with a what is essentially a trips set with a te 3 yds from the tackle in a wr stance.

JIHawg

Flowers, then Williams not having contact in spring scrimmage.  It's possible this is something Bielema does for players who don't go pro but come back for their final year, like a reward.

HF#1

Some of you just don't deserve the information Mike brings to this board.  Stop being a-holes
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

razorback44

Quote from: jg8417 on April 12, 2015, 07:37:53 pm
In a bunch formation, but used Sprinkle as a stand up flexed TE. Last year it was Derby as an hback, wing or inline and Henry either wide, in the slot or in line. I'm sure they have some interesting tricks with a what is essentially a trips set with a te 3 yds from the tackle in a wr stance.

Are you saying Sprinkle was on the opposite side of the formation from the bunch?
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 03:24:22 pm
What scrimmage did you attend? It wasn't the one I was at. Brandon Allen did not throw a pick. He was 17 of 23, for 229 yds & 2 TDs. Bielema raved about him.

He completed 73% of his passes. If that's inconsistent by your standards I guess BA should be glad you're not coaching him.

Same scrimmage you saw, but this guy probably would complain about a natty if we had 2 or 3 one point victories too...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Wayne Watson on April 11, 2015, 05:07:47 pm
That's right.  If it wasn't for bad picks, I would have only 1 wife instead of 3 ex-wives.

ditto
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Ugly Uncle

No one I trust more than Mike Irwin when it comes to saying how things really are.
Retired Radio Host

HF#1

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 13, 2015, 08:19:57 am
No one I trust more than Mike Irwin when it comes to saying how things really are.

This right here. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 13, 2015, 08:19:57 am

He does get a little touchy at times though.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Kevin

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on April 12, 2015, 10:09:09 am
so you're not happy with Dan Enos' decision on who gets which reps

noted

just because, i have a different opinion, does not mean i am unhappy with enos.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

Quote from: razorback44 on April 12, 2015, 10:05:35 am
This isn't the NFL where they can get unlimited reps. The actual starters needed as much time together as possible. Hence the reason that no college head coach gives his backup more reps with the 1's than the actual starter.

we are talking about a 2 year starter next year, when they make the choice who the starter is, i hope they give him all the reps.

i just want a back up who they are no scared to play. all you have to do is look back at the missouri game, to know they were scared to play the back up.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on April 12, 2015, 08:12:46 am
so backups aren't prepared unless they get reps with the first team?

no

the gist of my response on this one is seeing that one of our glass-half-empty posters hasn't changed

i don't think they are. they speed of the game changes between 1's to 2's to 3's. 

that is why i would like to see players who you may need to play, go against the 1's

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Kevin on April 13, 2015, 09:07:22 am
we are talking about a 2 year starter next year, when they make the choice who the starter is, i hope they give him all the reps.

i just want a back up who they are no scared to play. all you have to do is look back at the missouri game, to know they were scared to play the back up.

Given that the QB coaching is probably a bit better than it has been the last couple years, I would say the backups will be more prepared than they have been since Tyler replaced Ryan in the Awbarn game. Enos seems to be more hands-on with QB develpment than Chaney, but that isn't really the Gospel until next at about game 5.
This is my non-signature signature.

Kevin

Quote from: ricepig on April 12, 2015, 10:01:22 am
New system, new OC, he needs as many reps as they think he needs. It may not be a totally new system, but the is different verbiage and checks.

we were told by the head coach, enos will have to learn hoganiese

PorkRinds

Quote from: Kevin on April 13, 2015, 09:11:52 am
we were told by the head coach, enos will have to learn hoganiese

We were also told some things would be changed and simplified.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Kevin on April 13, 2015, 09:07:22 am

You speak of just giving your opinion, then read more and watch more pressers. CBB answered the Mizzou question. He said a big factor was his offense wanted BA. He never said he was scared nor did he act like he has been scared of AA going in.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

GolfnHog

Quote from: jg8417 on April 12, 2015, 11:18:43 am

Gotta disagree with this assessment considering how poorly our defenses tackled prior to last year. It seemed the D was good at "touching" players but never getting them to the ground. (sarcasm was used in this post)
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

PorkRyan

I thought Brandon was good overall, but he did have some bad moments.  He had some passes float on him which he has always had a tendency to do.  When they were running some redzone he had a few plays in a row where he couldn't find anyone to throw to and threw a few balls away.  Enos was raising his arms at him and pointing so I assume someone was open.  Overall, he was solid.  He is the QB, hands down.

Austin was a lot better than Rafe.  He found open guys and got them the ball.  Rafe has a very long release on his mid to deep throws. I've heard people talk about him having the strongest arm on the team, but it doesn't matter when you have to wind up to throw it.  Rafe had some open guys that he couldn't hit. 

Ty has the quick release.  From decision time, he gets rid of it quicker than the other two.  On the deeper balls he gets rid of it a lot quicker than Rafe.  I'd like to have seen Ty get more reps, but he is going to RS so there isn't much point in taking reps away from the other two.

Just some random stuff here:  Collins looks too big to me.  Our defense can tackle.  One on one in space and the defender wins almost every time.  Punters and kickers were very good.  Very impressed with Josh Williams, he is much more athletic than I was expecting.  It was a great day to get to watch some football, and I'm appreciative that Bielema allowed us access.           

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Paul

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on April 12, 2015, 10:23:52 am
I trust Pitt & BB to know who's better or best

beringer62

nohuddlecoach

I posted last year about this time about what i thought the coming year would look like from a coaches perspective, thought i would again for what its worth, just my observations after seeing them practice and scrimmage several times this year:

QB-- Brandon Allen looks the best he has since he has been here.  I thought the last few games of last year he really came on.  Enos will help, more timing in passing game, more combination routes.  Austin Allen looks inconsistent at best.  Rafe Peavy i think will eventually transfer.  Ty Storey i think is the next starter after BA is gone.

WR -- they are better than they have been since Petrino.  Dominique Reed will help tremendously i think, field stretcher.  Throw the TE's in here, Henry is Henry, let me throw a name out here that i think is going to be a major major football player next year -- Jeremy Sprinkle.

RB -- We are good.

OL -- All the attention is on Kirkland, Tretola looks fantastic this spring, lost some weight playing with great energy.  Right side is concerning, Skipper is hit and miss in pass pro, I'm not sold on the right guard which is why i think we are seeing Merrick work there.

Defense -- In general the DL worries me, at times we look very small, we will miss the DT and Flowers.  Ellis makes almost every tackles, if something happens to him it could be scary.  It was a vanilla scrimmage Saturday, what concerned me was on 1st downs any run was 5, 6, 7 yards or more.  They looked better in short yardage.  Secondary made very good breaks.  I think the defense will still be stellar, but i don't look for them to be better than last year. 

Overall:  I think we are a better team, simply because i don't think we let games slip away we should have won.  Look for 8 to 9 wins on a better offense that can throw a little, beat you up in the run game and a defense that thinks its good. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: nohuddlecoach on April 13, 2015, 12:27:34 pm
I posted last year about this time about what i thought the coming year would look like from a coaches perspective, thought i would again for what its worth, just my observations after seeing them practice and scrimmage several times this year:

QB-- Brandon Allen looks the best he has since he has been here.  I thought the last few games of last year he really came on.  Enos will help, more timing in passing game, more combination routes.  Austin Allen looks inconsistent at best.  Rafe Peavy i think will eventually transfer.  Ty Storey i think is the next starter after BA is gone.

WR -- they are better than they have been since Petrino.  Dominique Reed will help tremendously i think, field stretcher.  Throw the TE's in here, Henry is Henry, let me throw a name out here that i think is going to be a major major football player next year -- Jeremy Sprinkle.

RB -- We are good.

OL -- All the attention is on Kirkland, Tretola looks fantastic this spring, lost some weight playing with great energy.  Right side is concerning, Skipper is hit and miss in pass pro, I'm not sold on the right guard which is why i think we are seeing Merrick work there.

Defense -- In general the DL worries me, at times we look very small, we will miss the DT and Flowers.  Ellis makes almost every tackles, if something happens to him it could be scary.  It was a vanilla scrimmage Saturday, what concerned me was on 1st downs any run was 5, 6, 7 yards or more.  They looked better in short yardage.  Secondary made very good breaks.  I think the defense will still be stellar, but i don't look for them to be better than last year. 

Overall:  I think we are a better team, simply because i don't think we let games slip away we should have won.  Look for 8 to 9 wins on a better offense that can throw a little, beat you up in the run game and a defense that thinks its good.

Reed isn't even on campus yet, is he? 

nohuddlecoach

Not yet, saw him in high school and some film in JC.  Phenomenal athlete.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 03:24:22 pm
What scrimmage did you attend? It wasn't the one I was at. Brandon Allen did not throw a pick. He was 17 of 23, for 229 yds & 2 TDs. Bielema raved about him.

He completed 73% of his passes. If that's inconsistent by your standards I guess BA should be glad you're not coaching him.

You should go back to last season and find all the threads prestworthy started hating on BA

presidenthog

Quote from: nohuddlecoach on April 13, 2015, 12:27:34 pm

RB -- We are good.

Ok you say the dline looks smaller without "flowers and the DT" but that tackle you speak of was 272. Is it because we was using ledbetter(280) and Taiwan(starter beside philon last year,sub 280) they have already moved Ledbetter outside or tried him out there. Jackson is mich bigger than philon so I'm not sure if I follow on your assessment of our size.

nohuddlecoach

Like I said, it was an observation, could have been slanted due to the hugeness of our O line.