Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 11, 2015 Practice report (All things Saturday scrimmage)

Started by Ugly Uncle, April 11, 2015, 11:35:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

Well, my allergies has turned into an infection and I am stuck, sick in bed today.  Not able to make it out to the scrimmage.

But here is a chance to see how great Hogville is.  When you get back from the scrimmage today, post in here.  I'm looking forward to hearing many different view points on how the team is looking.

Thanks again.

UU
Retired Radio Host

Prestworthy

I realize that this scrimmage is vanilla on both sides of the ball, but here are a few thoughts:

QB: BA was inconsistent most of the day, with a TD and INT.  He was given the majority of the snaps.  The other two QBs played ok but nothing really stood out.  RP has a cannon for an arm, as reported earlier.  Definitely the strongest on the team.  Seemed like every other pass play was a throw to a TE or FB in the flat.

RB:  Nothing really of note other than Kody Walker and some hard running.  AC had an ok day.

TE: Will probably be the best unit on the team.  Lots of size and speed between HH, JS, and WG.

WR: Duwop will be starting IMO.  He is the most physical WR out there.  Jojo had a few good grabs.

DL: Looked big and mean.  Will be a great group.

DB: Rohan Gaines and walk-on Reid Miller stood out.  He is noticeably smaller than most of the other guys in the unit, but seemed to be EVERYWHERE.  Had some great tackles and a huge pass breakup in the endzone.  I believe he also forced a fumble on Will Gragg.

Theolesnort

So that is where you were. I wore my old hogville shirt just so you would reach out to me if I missed you. I just wanted to talk and touch base with you today. Of course I could be wrong but I think the defense will be better this year, much better. They have so many more people that understand what to do this year. Good people and players. Some outstanding individuals playing within a team concept and the tackling is just getting better.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Josh Goforth

Liked what I saw from Khalia Hackett. Looks solid and when they turned him loose on a couple 3 rd downs vs the 1s he destroyed pass pro. Brooks in the middle in pass I g situations still scares the crap out of me. Hunter Henry beat him pretty badly on a crossing route, but HH does that to all other sec overs too.
Really like Cody Hollister on the skinny post, deep ins over the middle.

Mike Irwin

Brandon Allen lit it up. Completed 73% of his passes. Threw a couple of TDs. No picks that I saw. Keon Hatcher was back with a bang. They limited Hunter Henry's reps so Jeremy Sprinkle stepped up. Lead all receivers with 78 yards and a TD.

Alex Collins stung his ankle and had only six carries for 28 yards.

Once again the defense won the battle in the trenches but the pass blocking for BA was much better than last week.

Hedlund ended it with a 59 yard FG.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 03:15:10 pm
Brandon Allen lit it up. Completed 73% of his passes. Threw a couple of TDs. No picks that I saw. Keon Hatcher was back with a bang. They limited Hunter Henry's reps so Jeremy Sprinkle stepped up. Lead all receivers with 78 yards and a TD.

Alex Collins stung his ankle and had only six carries for 28 yards.

Once again the defense won the battle in the trenches but the pass blocking for BA was much better than last week.

Hedlund ended it with a 59 yard FG.

That's encouraging. Thanks Mike!
Go Hogs Go!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2015, 02:49:52 pm
I realize that this scrimmage is vanilla on both sides of the ball, but here are a few thoughts:

QB: BA was inconsistent most of the day, with a TD and INT.  He was given the majority of the snaps.  The other two QBs played ok but nothing really stood out.  RP has a cannon for an arm, as reported earlier.  Definitely the strongest on the team.  Seemed like every other pass play was a throw to a TE or FB in the flat.

RB:  Nothing really of note other than Kody Walker and some hard running.  AC had an ok day.

TE: Will probably be the best unit on the team.  Lots of size and speed between HH, JS, and WG.

WR: Duwop will be starting IMO.  He is the most physical WR out there.  Jojo had a few good grabs.

DL: Looked big and mean.  Will be a great group.

DB: Rohan Gaines and walk-on Reid Miller stood out.  He is noticeably smaller than most of the other guys in the unit, but seemed to be EVERYWHERE.  Had some great tackles and a huge pass breakup in the endzone.  I believe he also forced a fumble on Will Gragg.
What scrimmage did you attend? It wasn't the one I was at. Brandon Allen did not throw a pick. He was 17 of 23, for 229 yds & 2 TDs. Bielema raved about him.

He completed 73% of his passes. If that's inconsistent by your standards I guess BA should be glad you're not coaching him.

Richard_white

Brandon did a great job today.  The DL was on today and very aggressive.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I bet it takes a little time for the ol to get used to their new positions.

We are going to be very very good this season though.

PorkRyan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 03:24:22 pm
What scrimmage did you attend? It wasn't the one I was at. Brandon Allen did not throw a pick. He was 17 of 23, for 229 yds & 2 TDs. Bielema raved about him.

He completed 73% of his passes. If that's inconsistent by your standards I guess BA should be glad you're not coaching him.

Yes he did. Threw it right in front of me.  It was during a stretch where he was floating the ball. He has the pass to Cornelius that should have been a pick 6. A few players later he threw an INT on an out route to the West sideline. A few plays later Dean deflected the same pass.  I would hardly call Brandon's performance today "lighting it up".  He was good at times and average at times.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: PorkRyan on April 11, 2015, 03:41:59 pm
Yes he did. Threw it right in front of me.  It was during a stretch where he was floating the ball. He has the pass to Cornelius that should have been a pick 6. A few players later he threw an INT on an out route to the West sideline. A few plays later Dean deflected the same pass.  I would hardly call Brandon's performance today "lighting it up".  He was good at times and average at times.
I'm seeing multiple creditable sources stating he did not throw a INT today and looked very good. I'll take Mikes word & other trusted media members. Sounds good (as to what everyone else is reporting) on most of the other stuff tho.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 03:24:22 pm

Haters gonna hate.

PorkRyan

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on April 11, 2015, 03:49:46 pm
I'm seeing multiple creditable sources stating he did not throw a INT today and looked very good. I'll take Mikes word & other trusted media members. Sounds good (as to what everyone else is reporting) on most of the other stuff tho.

Believe what you want. There are numerous non media people that were there saying he threw a pick. The media was on the east side and the int was on the west side right in front of the fans

Mike Irwin

None of us on the east side saw a pick. Regardless, the fact that we've got people on this board who went there and say that BA had just an okay scrimmage confirms that there's an agenda by a small core on this board that is beyond silly.

The kid completed 73% of his passes against the top defense coached by Robb Smith who doesn't put slackers on the field.

razorfrog

I remember when the media members thought Mustain was the second coming of Joe Montana.  I don't listen to them much on player evaluation. 

razorfrog

I will agree with Mike that some people just hate BA no matter what.  If they watched warm ups before games, watched them throw at camps during the summer, scrimmages, they would see he is by far our best option at QB

tophawg19

Mike was. Play calling set to make passing game look good like bp liked to do or was the defense playing straight up coverages
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Mike Irwin

No this was a war between the one offense and the one defense. We could hear Robb Smith hollering at the defense all the way over on the east side.

Bielema said afterward that this was the most game-like competition we will see this spring.

razorfrog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 04:22:44 pm
No this was a war between the one offense and the one defense. We could hear Robb Smith hollering at the defense all the way over on the east side.

Bielema said afterward that this was the most game-like competition we will see this spring.
Dang I knew I should have came today instead of for the Spring game. 

razorfrog

Prestworthy

Thanks PorkRyan.  I don't make things up for the heck of it. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: razorfrog on April 11, 2015, 04:33:28 pm
How did Ty Storey look?  Anyone watch him closely.
He looked okay. Nothing outstanding. Nothing bad. He is what he is. A high school age kid already competing on a college campus.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2015, 04:41:55 pm
Thanks PorkRyan.  I don't make things up for the heck of it.
Whether or not there was an interception you still wrote that BA was inconsistent..... 17 of 23, 229 yds, 2 TD; is not inconsistent.

razorfrog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 04:42:27 pm
He looked okay. Nothing outstanding. Nothing bad. He is what he is. A high school age kid already competing on a college campus.
He might be a high school kid but he's been a full grown man for 4 years now.  I was hoping he would look great

Prestworthy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 04:44:25 pm
Whether or not there was an interception you still wrote that BA was inconsistent..... 17 of 23, 229 yds, 2 TD; is not inconsistent.
His stat line may not have shown it, but there were still the old BA throws that soared and he looked frantic at times trying to locate his 2nd and 3rd receivers.  As I stated, almost every other throw was to a TE or FB in the flat.  Very safe throws for the most part.

Please don't turn this into a BA thread.  I reported on other things too.

Mike Irwin

Very quickly under Robb Smith this football program has developed one of the best defenses in the SEC. Brandon Allen threw two touchdown passes and completed 73% of his passes against that defense. He did it with Jonathan Williams sitting out and Alex Collins getting six carries (stung his ankle).

Brandon Allen had an outstanding scrimmage.

Prestworthy

Quote from: razorfrog on April 11, 2015, 04:33:28 pm
How did Ty Storey look?  Anyone watch him closely.
He looked great for only playing college football for a few months!  He will be a very good QB. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2015, 04:51:04 pm
His stat line may not have shown it, but there were still the old BA throws that soared and he looked frantic at times trying to locate his 2nd and 3rd receivers.

He threw a couple of passes over the back of the endzone BECAUSE NOBODY WAS OPEN.

How do you judge frantic? Could you see his eyes? 

I saw him go through his progressions very quickly several times because he was under pressure and nobody was open. One of those times he tucked and ran it in from four yards out.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 04:10:43 pm
None of us on the east side saw a pick. Regardless, the fact that we've got people on this board who went there and say that BA had just an okay scrimmage confirms that there's an agenda by a small core on this board that is beyond silly.

The kid completed 73% of his passes against the top defense coached by Robb Smith who doesn't put slackers on the field.

Sounds good, Mike!  I think BA will be just fine!
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

PaintballHog

BA did throw a pick, but I thought the rest of his game was really good.

razorfrog

razorfrog

Dang people on here think a pick is the worst thing in the world.  It happens.  All the time

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2015, 04:51:04 pm
His stat line may not have shown it, but there were still the old BA throws that soared and he looked frantic at times trying to locate his 2nd and 3rd receivers.  As I stated, almost every other throw was to a TE or FB in the flat.  Very safe throws for the most part.

This claim is flat silly. He threw over the middle into a crowd and threaded the needle several times. Your avatar suggests that you are impressed with Robb Smith.
Who do you think BA and his receivers were going up against, a bunch of slugs?

Wayne Watson

Quote from: razorfrog on April 11, 2015, 05:03:40 pm
Dang people on here think a pick is the worst thing in the world.  It happens.  All the time

That's right.  If it wasn't for bad picks, I would have only 1 wife instead of 3 ex-wives.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

WooPig90

Some of you just have a certain agenda and its pretty clear..

OLDHOG

Dang! Hogville cant even agree over a scrimmage. Thanks for the info tho.

Arazorbackguy1

I think it's ok that we have two differing opinions on this.

Mike (and media) is probably in tight with the coaches/Long and I'm sure reporting anything short of us looking great is not what they want. 

On the other hand, you have a fan that hears all of the hype and see's it first hand for the first time.  Doesn't look as impressive as the media has hyped it. States his opinion on a message board, then gets picked apart by the media for not playing the game. 

Honestly, I like listening to Mike's reports because it gives me hope, but I also like the realist, with no agenda, to help me realize we probably won't be going to Glendale in January.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

ricepig

Quote from: razorfrog on April 11, 2015, 05:03:40 pm

Well, he only threw 5 last year. Now, these same people were chastising him for only throwing 5, thinking he needed to force more throws in tight windows. We have the largest group who support the backup QB, the backup to the backup, and the backup to the backup, of the backup. Crazy isn't it?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on April 11, 2015, 05:09:56 pm

Honestly, I like listening to Mike's reports because it gives me hope, but I also like the realist, with no agenda, to help me realize we probably won't be going to Glendale in January.
spring is a good time for hope, but there is no reason to read too much into anything. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

younghog

Quote from: razorfrog on April 11, 2015, 04:11:05 pm
I remember when the media members thought Mustain was the second coming of Joe Montana.  I don't listen to them much on player evaluation. 

That was funny
GO HOGS

Mike Irwin

I think it's ok that we have two differing opinions on this.

Mike (and media) is probably in tight with the coaches/Long and I'm sure reporting anything short of us looking great is not what they want. 

On the other hand, you have a fan that hears all of the hype and see's it first hand for the first time.  Doesn't look as impressive as the media has hyped it. States his opinion on a message board, then gets picked apart by the media for not playing the game. 

I have no agenda other than to challenge the anti Brandon Allen bias that finds its way into almost every thread in this forum. The coaches and Jeff Long have nothing to do with this. I am not "in tight with them."

When an Arkansas QB goes up against an outstanding defense in a highly competitive scrimmage and completes 73% of his passes (including a pair of nice looking touchdowns and another touchdown he ran in on the ground) and we've got a fan posting that the QB was "inconsistent most of the day" I'm going to challenge that.

It's not a simple difference of opinion. You can't complete 17 of 23 passes against an outstanding defense with a running game that's getting stuffed and be "inconsistent most of the day."

younghog

GO HOGS

Mike Irwin

Letsroll1200

It's very strange that only a few people reported the pick. However, it's a scrimmage and I don't believe the coaches opened up the offense. BA is what he is! He probably  want lead the team on a wining drive but he also is not going to make critical turnovers to lose the game. Arkansas is a running and defensive team. BA will do his job.

Hog_One_Stop

Some people on this board don't like BB or BA will do whatever to run them down.  Thanks Mike ,  you have been reporting on Hog sports longer than most have been alive, that post on this board. 

jgphillips3

If it were almost any other media member, that could be a valid statement.  However, Mike has NEVER been that guy and has always called it as he saw it, sometimes to his own detriment.  He's no sycophant.

20hog11

The pick that everyone is referring to was not a pick but should have been. The db dropped the ball while going out of bounds.

secneahog

BA looked really good.
Hawkins was impressive. 
Rohan and Dj move very good.
Sprinkle is the real deal.
Reeve Koehler wants to hang out on the sidelines with Austin beck the whole time. I don't think he will get any playing time if ever.

Froholdt is a beast..monster..Real deal..huge..All of the above.

Ogrady. ..greenlaw..D.Reed was hanging out.

I like robb Smith and Hargreaves connection both are intense.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

HogHomer

Alright so on the BA "pick" it was a pass to Hunter Henry on the sideline and Rohan undercut it had his hands on the ball and dropped it when he hit the ground. Not a pick but could have been. Hope this clears it up.