Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beer Sales on campus

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, April 09, 2015, 01:57:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HeismanHawg

Smart move. In the never ending arms race in college athletics for the almighty dollar there's no reason to not sell alcohol at sporting events.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 09, 2015, 01:57:35 pm
Interesting

http://link.kait8.com/view/54928ced3d9c86a7278cc95d2h6tf.482/0ca36483

Going to serve alcohol in their new suites, loge seating, and club seats in the new press box addition. It does appear they will serve at certain concerts at the Congo, too.

WorfHog

April 09, 2015, 03:08:29 pm #3 Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:58:16 pm by WorfHog
IF it was free I might consider attending an A-State game.

dsgreen

Considering you'd need to be drunk to enjoy four years at AState, this will be a blessing for students.

Tusks

Quote from: dsgreen on April 09, 2015, 03:09:21 pm
Considering you'd need to be drunk to enjoy four years at AState, this will be a blessing for students.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

thirrdegreetusker

Legend has it that, when the Student Union at Fayetteville was being designed in the early 70s, Anheuser-Busch offered to pay 100% of construction costs if they could have some sort of beer concession in the building. I really do not think UA officials seriously considered it. Different world now.

Inhogswetrust

I'm not an ASU fan either BUT it is an accredited college..............that being said there are about four or maybe five other schools in Arkansas I would rather attend depending on my major.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 09, 2015, 04:30:06 pm
Legend has it that, when the Student Union at Fayetteville was being designed in the early 70s, Anheuser-Busch offered to pay 100% of construction costs if they could have some sort of beer concession in the building. I really do not think UA officials seriously considered it. Different world now.

I vaguely remember something along those lines...................my what would have been!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WorfHog

April 09, 2015, 05:59:42 pm #9 Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:59:21 am by WorfHog

The Union at the University of Wisconsin sells beer and it's awesome. I wish we were as cool, but we have too many judgey Baptists.

http://www.union.wisc.edu/materials/Dine_Stiftskeller_Menu.pdf

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Went to ASU for 1 year.. Fled because it was dry.. Found Jesus and went to Ouachita... Go figure... Got educated on sound bible doctrine and found out the Baptists had too many rules that Jesus himself did not follow.. Became Methodist.. I have a beer every now and then, when I'm not drinking whiskey or Vodka...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Tusks

Quote from: WorfHog on April 09, 2015, 05:59:42 pm
The Union at the University of Wisconsin sells beer and it's awesome. I wish we were as cool, but we have too many judgey Baptists.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

OneTuskOverTheLine™

It causes this to make more sense and even that much more fun...

I still wanna see this..
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on April 09, 2015, 06:39:23 pm

It's not just judgey Baptist................it's judges anyone that is against drinking. LOT's of religions and faiths are.

yraciv

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 10, 2015, 07:40:11 am
It's not just judgey Baptist................it's judges anyone that is against drinking. LOT's of religions and faiths are.

True, but it's mainly the baptist in Arkansas.

yraciv

"The board also hopes alcohol sales will attract more "tourism-related activity". I lol at that comment because you know drinking at a Red Wolves game is sure to drum up tourism.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: yraciv on April 10, 2015, 08:05:47 am
True, but it's mainly the baptist in Arkansas.

Naw I grew up Baptist........................After turning 21 I would go to the liquor store with my Dad. Saw a lot of "brothers and sisters" drink.

26.2Hog

Q: Why do you have to take two Baptists with you when you go fishing?

A: Because if you take just one, he'll drink all your beer.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WorfHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 10, 2015, 08:12:50 am
Naw I grew up Baptist........................After turning 21 I would go to the liquor store with my Dad. Saw a lot of "brothers and sisters" drink.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Baptists.  What I don't like it when they pass near unrepealable laws that force their religious ideals on others. I don't like that if I want to drink a beer at home on Sunday's I have to drive to Springdale or plan ahead.

ricepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 10, 2015, 09:34:56 am
It a good economic move.

Yeah, our 9000 seat club level netted us $26,000 last year. I bet their 1000 seats just rakes in the moolah.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WorfHog on April 10, 2015, 10:04:25 am
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Baptists.  What I don't like it when they pass near unrepealable laws that force their religious ideals on others. I don't like that if I want to drink a beer at home on Sunday's I have to drive to Springdale or plan ahead.

I couldn't agree more. But most of the state laws in all states concerning alcohol sales are derived from a few different ways that came about after prohibition was repealed. Those have been slow to change but they have done so over time and are still doing so.

go hogues

Wisconsinites are on a whole different level. I've never seen a group of people stateside who can consume more alcohol and stay relatively functional. Those jokers can hold their liquor, that's for sure.
You give an equal amount to a bunch of Arkies and it would likely incite a small riot.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

yraciv

Obviously I'm not saying no baptists drink. Just when you hear all the anti drinking, anti Sunday alcohol sales in the state of Arkansas they are often from Baptist politicians. That, plus most of my friends from high school who never tried a sip of alcohol and judged you if you did were baptist.

And don't chastise me if you are a Southern Baptist.  You have your beliefs, and I have mine. I don't care about your opinions on the matter, and you shouldn't try to change mine.

OldCoot

What's the difference between a baptist and a catholic?

Catholics say hi to each other in the liquor store.

Seminole Indian

http://www.astate.edu/news/board-of-trustees-approves-lease-agreement-with-nea-sports-club?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=asunews

JONESBORO — The Arkansas State University Board of Trustees today unanimously approved a lease agreement with NEA Sports Club of Jonesboro that would allow the nonprofit organization to dispense alcoholic beverages in designated areas on campus.

System President Charles L. Welch told the board that the lease agreement is required as part of NEA Sports Club's large event facility permit application to the Arkansas Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.

"We're taking steps to be responsive to requests of our patrons at special events while being cautious and responsible," Welch said. "If NEA Sports Club is successful with its application, then an additional agreement will be executed regarding operations of the club at our facilities."

Welch said Arkansas State's change in alcohol policy is consistent with many of its peers in the state and the Sun Belt Conference.

"Our policy will actually be more restrictive than most," Welch said. "Also, additional security will be present where alcohol is served, and all servers and managers will complete appropriate training to comply with ABC regulations and to protect the safety and enjoyment of all patrons."

The 10-year lease includes a 90-day termination clause with or without cause, Welch said.

NEA Sports Club is an Arkansas nonprofit corporation that, subject to obtaining an ABC permit, would be allowed to dispense alcoholic beverages to its members at certain events and locations on the A-State campus. Net revenue generated will be distributed annually to the Red Wolves Foundation, which supports A-State athletics.

Facilities included in the lease are Centennial Bank Stadium, the Convocation Center, Tomlinson Stadium, Fowler Center, Cooper Alumni Center, and the A-State Pavilion.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

vandybuff

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 10, 2015, 04:01:31 pm
http://www.astate.edu/news/board-of-trustees-approves-lease-agreement-with-nea-sports-club?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=asunews

JONESBORO — The Arkansas State University Board of Trustees today unanimously approved a lease agreement with NEA Sports Club of Jonesboro that would allow the nonprofit organization to dispense alcoholic beverages in designated areas on campus.

System President Charles L. Welch told the board that the lease agreement is required as part of NEA Sports Club's large event facility permit application to the Arkansas Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.

"We're taking steps to be responsive to requests of our patrons at special events while being cautious and responsible," Welch said. "If NEA Sports Club is successful with its application, then an additional agreement will be executed regarding operations of the club at our facilities."

Welch said Arkansas State's change in alcohol policy is consistent with many of its peers in the state and the Sun Belt Conference.

"Our policy will actually be more restrictive than most," Welch said. "Also, additional security will be present where alcohol is served, and all servers and managers will complete appropriate training to comply with ABC regulations and to protect the safety and enjoyment of all patrons."

The 10-year lease includes a 90-day termination clause with or without cause, Welch said.

NEA Sports Club is an Arkansas nonprofit corporation that, subject to obtaining an ABC permit, would be allowed to dispense alcoholic beverages to its members at certain events and locations on the A-State campus. Net revenue generated will be distributed annually to the Red Wolves Foundation, which supports A-State athletics.

Facilities included in the lease are Centennial Bank Stadium, the Convocation Center, Tomlinson Stadium, Fowler Center, Cooper Alumni Center, and the A-State Pavilion.

This sound so complex I think I will stay home. 
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

vandybuff

I was raised a Baptist and I can attest that drinking ruined my health:  thirty years of squatting between cars at the liquor stores hiding from my church mates destroyed my knees.

ricepig

Quote from: vandybuff on April 10, 2015, 04:59:19 pm
This sound so complex I think I will stay home. 

They were already letting alcohol to be served at the Cooper Center and Pavilion, I guess they want their cut now. The only way they will make any money concerts at the Convo selling booze. There aren't enough seats in their new area to generate much money, and few if any suites in the Convo. They were already letting fans bring coolers into the baseball field in a designated area, I guess they'll now charge them $8 for a beer.

Inhogswetrust

April 10, 2015, 05:40:09 pm #29 Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:23:45 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: yraciv on April 10, 2015, 02:51:48 pm
Obviously I'm not saying no baptists drink. Just when you hear all the anti drinking, anti Sunday alcohol sales in the state of Arkansas they are often from Baptist politicians. That, plus most of my friends from high school who never tried a sip of alcohol and judged you if you did were baptist.

And don't chastise me if you are a Southern Baptist.  You have your beliefs, and I have mine. I don't care about your opinions on the matter, and you shouldn't try to change mine.

I never intonated I was trying to change your opinion. Yes the Baptists are to blame for some policies politically regarding alcohol however they aren't the only ones to blame. I've had a alcohol permit in the state of Arkansas and no Baptists were there to speak up during our hearing before the ABC. However there was another church related group that I'll let remain nameless that was there. I might have grown up in a predominately Baptist family but if you have read my posts over the years you would have discovered I'm just the opposite. I have no religious leanings. I know that a lot if not half the Baptist I know and a majority in my family that are drinkers. Same as a lot of other denominations. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2015, 05:06:02 pm
They were already letting alcohol to be served at the Cooper Center and Pavilion, I guess they want their cut now. The only way they will make any money concerts at the Convo selling booze. There aren't enough seats in their new area to generate much money, and few if any suites in the Convo. They were already letting fans bring coolers into the baseball field in a designated area, I guess they'll now charge them $8 for a beer.

They can serve at the Alumni Center in Fayetteville just like the Cooper Center in Jonesboro. It was funny when I heard people say that Craighead county was the wettest "dry" county in Arkansas but it wasn't even close to Benton County or Hot Springs County.......Of course Benton County has gone "wet".

Inhogswetrust

I also want to wish Michael Langley success in his new job and wish him the best. He did a great job as ABC Director!

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 10, 2015, 05:59:32 pm
I also want to wish Michael Langley success in his new job and wish him the best. He did a great job as ABC Director!

He must have approved all of your permits!

yraciv

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 10, 2015, 05:40:09 pm
I never intonated I was trying to change your opinion. Yes the Baptists are to blame for some policies politically regarding alcohol however they aren't the only ones to blame. I've had a alcohol permit in the state of Arkansas and no Baptists were there to speak up during our hearing before thew ABC. However there was another church related group that I'll let remain nameless that was there. I might have grown up in a predominately Baptist family but you if you have read my posts over the years you would have discovered I'm just the opposite. I have no religious leanings. I know that a lot if not half the Baptist I know and a majority in my family that are drinkers. Same as a lot of other denominations. 

Oh and I wasn't implying you were any of those things.  I was just talking in generalities about baptists from my experience growing up in Arkansas. I heard a lot of those comments growing up.  The Baptist squatting in a liquor store parking lot is spot on and I lol! 

Augustus

Quote from: WorfHog on April 09, 2015, 03:08:29 pm
IF it was free I might consider attending an A-State game.

+1

vandybuff

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2015, 05:06:02 pm
I agree with you, but my future is 'stay home' for the event is clear, my view is great, it can be replayed, recorded, etc. 
When the Good Lord gave me a computer, Amazon and an address to which they deliver, I said "Amen."  So feel most free to use my seat ... and enjoy that $8 natty light.  :)

Justifiable Hogicide

5 coaches in 5 years and their Hook Em Horns hand signs - they deserve all the stiff drinks they can get.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on April 10, 2015, 09:47:09 pm
5 coaches in 5 years and their Hook Em Horns hand signs - they deserve all the stiff drinks they can get.

Don't forget their 4 bowl games in 4 years
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hoggish1

Always been that way at Wisky. 

ricepig

Quote from: vandybuff on April 10, 2015, 09:11:59 pm
I agree with you, but my future is 'stay home' for the event is clear, my view is great, it can be replayed, recorded, etc. 
When the Good Lord gave me a computer, Amazon and an address to which they deliver, I said "Amen."  So feel most free to use my seat ... and enjoy that $8 natty light.  :)

Enjoyed the club level at RRS this year, but I enjoyed it the previous 12 years, too. To me, there's nothing better than to be with friends or family at a game.

vandybuff

My best to you, Ricepig.  I am sure it is a beautiful stadium, great seats and even better friends.  But for me ... over twenty years of being away from home 250+ nights a year ... and very rarely in the same city two consecutive days .... home with a good book is my happiness!

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2015, 10:12:05 pm
Enjoyed the club level at RRS this year, but I enjoyed it the previous 12 years, too. To me, there's nothing better than to be with friends or family at a game.

Some people name drop, rice seat drops on a regular basis
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on April 11, 2015, 04:59:36 am
Some people name drop, rice seat drops on a regular basis

I can drop some names if you wish for me too.....

Torqued pork

They could offer Cuban cigars to the nobles in sky boxes and Natty Lite and Pall Malls to the commoners.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2015, 06:10:29 pm
He must have approved all of your permits!

No actually he didn't. He denied it at first because of a couple of people in town being opposed. He did that regularly if there was any opposition especially in a "dry" county. He was very fair with all applicants but he was "by the book" as he should have been. A LOT of permit holders had to appeal and then you have a hearing before the board and they vote to approve it or not. We were approved unanimously. He had a long, very respected and successful tenure as ABC Director. Great guy and knows the law.

popcornhog

It would've been more likely to fly back then, no.

Back then law enforcement treated dwi as basically jay walking.

It would be cool though -- I studied abroad at the University of Oxford and they had pubs on campus. I can tell you first hand that it would cut way down on dwi and other related alcohol problems.
WPS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 10, 2015, 09:58:01 pm
Don't forget their 4 bowl games in 4 years

Mobile................enough said.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: OldCoot on April 10, 2015, 03:22:36 pm
What's the difference between a baptist and a catholic?

Catholics say hi to each other in the liquor store.

I'm a former Baptist turned Catholic and I approve this message....+1

Sivad

twistitup

Quote from: Torqued pork on April 12, 2015, 08:05:19 am
They could offer Cuban cigars to the nobles in sky boxes and Natty Lite and Pall Malls to the commoners.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....