Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great Article on Keon Hatcher

Started by HogWildBison2011, April 09, 2015, 10:36:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogWildBison2011

April 09, 2015, 10:36:47 am Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:56:02 am by HogWildBison2011
Everyone be sure to take a look at this article. Murf does an excellent job of breaking down film on Hatcher. It is a great read as usual.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-wr-hatcher-scheme-specific-fit-powerful-offense/

149 days & counting! WPS

20hog11

I think we will throw a bit more this year and more importantly be more successful when we do throw. Keon will be a big reason for that success. I think he's going to have a great season.

PaintballHog

Great article again for murf. Keon will be the reliable foundation of this wr core. A true "lunch pail" guy.

Since it's a positive article, hopefully there will be no butthurt in this thread.  ;)

Chief Mac

Great work as usual Murf!!  I look forward to everyone of your articles.  Adding film breakdown to the piece, really quantifies what your thoughts are.  Kudos my man!!

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Keon really came on big last year... He may even get Amari Cooper type of talk this year...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Chief Mac

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 09, 2015, 12:30:01 pm
Keon really came on big last year... He may even get Amari Cooper type of talk this year...

I think he is faster than some give him credit for and add that to his improvement in technique, he is primed for a break-out campaign
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

younghog

GO HOGS

HawgnCorona

It would be very nice see him play on Sundays. I hope he has an outstanding year..
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Suidae Sus scrofa

I expect great things from Keon this year. He's always seemed like a guy doing yeoman's work, just wanting to make the team better. You've gotta expect a guy like that to have a solid showing his last year.

To me, he is an interesting case of a Petrino recruit who turned out to be a better fit for Bielema's philosophy. As a possession receiver, he will get a lot of looks in this offense. As a senior, his strength and savvy will let him make the most of those opportunities. He was pretty good last year, and I think he's got all conference potential this year.

But no matter what, Keon Hatcher is a great Razorback!

PS Great article. You do good work, Murph.

LZH

That must have been written by Hatcher's cousin or something lol....lots of praise in that piece.

It sure was nice to read, though.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: LZH on April 09, 2015, 02:01:52 pm
That must have been written by Hatcher's cousin or something lol....lots of praise in that piece.

It sure was nice to read, though.

SDS has a great marketing plan: have a writer or two spew out volumes of articles on each SEC team, all of which are hyperbolic.  Four out of five should be overly positive, with every fifth article being overly pessimistic/negative.  This is the balance they've found to keep the click click clicks coming to their website. 

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

SECisKing

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 09, 2015, 03:07:33 pm
SDS has a great marketing plan: have a writer or two spew out volumes of articles on each SEC team, all of which are hyperbolic.  Four out of five should be overly positive, with every fifth article being overly pessimistic/negative.  This is the balance they've found to keep the click click clicks coming to their website.

lololololol gotta love when people talk out the side of their necks...Nah buddy, I have Carte Blanche on everything I write. Everyone once in a while I'll get a suggestion as to what team to write about, but nobody controls the tone of my articles.

And this is nothing new, either, if you listen to me on radio/podcast -- most of these subjects I've talked about -- sometimes ad nauseum...I'll find aspects to write about from whatever I feel.

Nothing unauthentic about anything I've ever done. SMH

SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

The_Hog_Father

Not trying to be a jerk, but why do you hate them so much, why would you care? You seem to never miss a beat, just asking. Thanks.  :razorback:

JackJohnson

I have always like hatcher...a lot.  He has also been a model citizen on and off the field through lots of hard times and while he came here expecting to play a pass happy offense, has (like what was stated) transitioned really well into this scheme which I think will benefit him in the long run. 

P.S. I was expecting to see the de-cleating block he made against Tex!!

https://twitter.com/hogdatabase/status/549762353156603904 

SECisKing

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on April 09, 2015, 03:19:27 pm
Not trying to be a jerk, but why do you hate them so much, why would you care? You seem to never miss a beat, just asking. Thanks.  :razorback:

That's a pet peeve of mine. I never understood the whole let's group a website and its writers together like we're some type of robots who write each other's material. lol.

I feel that even when people say stuff like screw ESPN, as if all those writers have the same brain and the same backstory...But you saying he's a hater, pretty much sums it up...

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: SECisKing on April 09, 2015, 03:24:35 pm
That's a pet peeve of mine. I never understood the whole let's group a website and its writers together like we're some type of robots who write each other's material. lol.

I feel that even when people say stuff like screw ESPN, as if all those writers have the same brain and the same backstory...But you saying he's a hater, pretty much sums it up...

What kind of a parent names his child Randle, anyway?

(Hint: That's my name.)
[CENSORED]!

SECisKing

Quote from: JackJohnson on April 09, 2015, 03:22:56 pm
I have always like hatcher...a lot.  He has also been a model citizen on and off the field through lots of hard times and while he came here expecting to play a pass happy offense, has (like what was stated) transitioned really well into this scheme which I think will benefit him in the long run. 

P.S. I was expecting to see the de-cleating block he made against Tex!!

https://twitter.com/hogdatabase/status/549762353156603904

LOL Jack, because I played linebacker and was the victim of what we like to refer to as a "sissy" block! We had a receiver on my team that specialized in crack-back blocks and would let you know about it. He got me good one time in practice and tried to stand over me like he did something hahaha.

I'll never forget that as long as I live. It was on a double-reverse and I had back-side pursuit that quickly turned into grass-side pursuit.

It's all good, though, I returned the favor on a quick slant one day.I swear, practices were rougher than the games. Offense and defense were like two separate teams...

SECisKing

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 09, 2015, 03:28:30 pm
What kind of a parent names his child Randle, anyway?

(Hint: That's my name.)

Ha! Only on the internet can you take a shot at someone's parents and get to keep all your teeth, huh, BP?

Murf is short for Murphy as PP suggested. It's actually a way to honor both sides of my family as my mother's maiden name is Murphy. It's a nickname, though, not my actual first name.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: SECisKing on April 09, 2015, 03:33:23 pm
Ha! Only on the internet can you take a shot at someone's parents and get to keep all your teeth, huh, BP?

Murf is short for Murphy as PP suggested. It's actually a way to honor both sides of my family as my mother's maiden name is Murphy. It's a nickname, though, not my actual first name.

I was named for Sonny Randle, wide receiver, St. Louis Cardinals. (Thanks, Dad, for not making it Sonny.)
[CENSORED]!

SECisKing

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 09, 2015, 03:34:34 pm
I was named for Sonny Randle, wide receiver, St. Louis Cardinals.

Nice!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on April 09, 2015, 03:19:27 pm

I'm just trolling lightly.  Do I need to do this? No.  Does every single article by Murf Baldwin need to have its own thread on Hogville? No.

SECisKing

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 09, 2015, 03:41:26 pm
I'm just trolling lightly.  Do I need to do this? No.  Does every single article by Murf Baldwin need to have its own thread on Hogville? No.

That sounds personal as I'm pretty sure any article from any notable writer on them Hogs ends up on a Hog-based message board. Feel free to avoid any article that bears my name, as nobody is forcing you to read.

I appreciate anybody who wants to aggregate my material and enjoys my work; pay this hater no mind...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on April 09, 2015, 10:36:47 am
Everyone be sure to take a look at this article. Murf does an excellent job of breaking down film on Hatcher. It is a great read as usual.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-wr-hatcher-scheme-specific-fit-powerful-offense/

149 days & counting! WPS

Nice article. I suspect, and I hope that we are going to see more of the quick underneath to multiple receivers out of play action giving them the opportunity for YAC (backing off the LB's) and I think we will also see a mix of stretching opponents secondaries more at times.

Everyone loves to see the impressive deep ball completion for a lot of yards and that certainly has its place, but I must admit that I love to see the guys who catch in traffic and pick up several extra yards after the catch. It is demoralizing to the other team if they begin to feel that they can't stop your run game, and they also can't stop the quick passes inside or outside for 7-8 yards at a time.
Go Hogs Go!

lumphog

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 09, 2015, 03:41:26 pm
We are all trying to get our football fix to hold us over for 148 more days.. We don't need all this negativity. Murf does an excellent job in his articles and MANY people love to read it. Like Mr SECisKing stated feel free to avoid these posts if you are tired of them. When someone brings great material to the table it should be shared.

Bacon_Bitz

You're right. I apologize. I am just grateful that some one takes the time to analyze a few plays and give us some gifs to go along with it. And Murf is a big step up from previous SDS writers, even if I don't always enjoy his conversational style of writing.

SECisKing

OneTuskOverTheLine™

You really are maniacal with your SDS and Murf hate.. Tell me what you think about Robert Shields...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 09, 2015, 06:50:46 pm
You really are maniacal with your SDS and Murf hate.. Tell me what you think about Robert Shields...

Hey man, I just apologized for all that!

As for Robert Shields, he is one of God's children just like all the rest of us, and I think Hogville is way too hard on him.

jgphillips3

Another great read.  As to prior comments, Lord knows we are all entitled to our opinions and this board wouldn't exist if we didn't have them.  I like Murf's style of writing.  It feels as if he is speaking to you and that you know what is written are HIS thoughts.  You can feel his love for the game and there is far more knowledge being conveyed than from many other commentators so I love it.  Keep it up Murf!

Hogswarts

Nice article, as usual, from Murf. Keon will be a beast, just anxious to see who will play the other receiver spot.

hawgmasta

Nice article! I think one of the main things that will help Hatcher break out this year is if we have another receiver that can be as much of a threat as he is. Last year he was almost our only wideout that other teams were probably actually worried about. Not counting our TE's as wideout

SECisKing

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 09, 2015, 07:38:48 pm
Another great read.  As to prior comments, Lord knows we are all entitled to our opinions and this board wouldn't exist if we didn't have them.  I like Murf's style of writing.  It feels as if he is speaking to you and that you know what is written are HIS thoughts.  You can feel his love for the game and there is far more knowledge being conveyed than from many other commentators so I love it.  Keep it up Murf!

There you go! That's what I'm talking about! Yeah, what JG said! haha

Thanks, bro. Glad you like my style. I may not be for everyone, but usually the one's that dig me, the feeling is reciprocated.

SECisKing

Quote from: hawgmasta on April 09, 2015, 09:28:08 pm
Nice article! I think one of the main things that will help Hatcher break out this year is if we have another receiver that can be as much of a threat as he is. Last year he was almost our only wideout that other teams were probably actually worried about. Not counting our TE's as wideout

I think you are right on the $$$...Maybe JoJo can be that guy...

aar0n

One thing I wish you would've spotlighted in the article is Hatcher's down field and LOS run/sweep blocking.  There wasn't a game last season that he didn't have multiple HUGE blocks to free up another man, specifically on sweep or toss plays towards the perimeter.  He would also often come from anywhere outside the hashes and help out on either end of the o-line, usually on goal line or short yardage plays and to great success.  About 50% of the time the commentators would mention it during the play or replay, but if you watch him closely he's laying a block SOMEWHERE on the field on about 95% of the plays he's not directly involved in.

To me, this not only signifies that he's not afraid of contact and is a HUGE unheralded asset, but that he's also very unselfish and wants his teammates to succeed as much as he does himself.  If he's not a favorite of the entire offensive personnel and the fans, there's something very wrong.

Otherwise I loved the article, it gives much deserved props to a very underrated team player that I've enjoyed watching just as much as any of the "stars" on the team.   

Hawgzinbowlz

Keon improved as '14 progressed. Some big time plays.

" GO HOGS "

MissippHog

Thanks for the article Murf, I enjoyed reading it.  I do wish you would have thrown in a .gif of some of his blocks though.  It's what makes him who he is.  Really showcases the toughness that he plays with. 

Hog Fan from Camden

Thanks for the article Murf.  +1

SECisKing

Quote from: aar0n on April 09, 2015, 10:20:33 pm
One thing I wish you would've spotlighted in the article is Hatcher's down field and LOS run/sweep blocking.  There wasn't a game last season that he didn't have multiple HUGE blocks to free up another man, specifically on sweep or toss plays towards the perimeter.  He would also often come from anywhere outside the hashes and help out on either end of the o-line, usually on goal line or short yardage plays and to great success.  About 50% of the time the commentators would mention it during the play or replay, but if you watch him closely he's laying a block SOMEWHERE on the field on about 95% of the plays he's not directly involved in.

To me, this not only signifies that he's not afraid of contact and is a HUGE unheralded asset, but that he's also very unselfish and wants his teammates to succeed as much as he does himself.  If he's not a favorite of the entire offensive personnel and the fans, there's something very wrong.

Otherwise I loved the article, it gives much deserved props to a very underrated team player that I've enjoyed watching just as much as any of the "stars" on the team.   

Thanks, I omitted the blocking because he's already known for that. I wanted to highlight how he works in the quick-passing game because that's what fans always ask me about. Do we really have a receiver who can help us in the passing game etc.

I wanted to show that you not only have a good receiver, he's a scheme-specific fit for the passing game.

SECisKing

Quote from: MissippHog on April 10, 2015, 02:34:28 am
Thanks for the article Murf, I enjoyed reading it.  I do wish you would have thrown in a .gif of some of his blocks though.  It's what makes him who he is.  Really showcases the toughness that he plays with.

I appreciate you enjoying it. I wanted to keep this article mostly on the passing game as I highlighted his blocking in my article about Arkansas having the most complete run game.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-complete-run-game-college-football/

I wanted him to get some shine on how he's one of the better quick-game receivers in the land. Thanks again.

SECisKing

Cinco de Hogo

I've liked Keon from the day he committed and really hope he has a year that will bolster his draft status.

The person who made the comment that he is better suited to CBB offense than CBP doesn't know squat about football.  Leon's skill level the last two years suffered greatly from the Aprils Fools Joker.  This year, finally he might have the coaching he needs.

SECisKing

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 10, 2015, 10:34:37 am
I've liked Keon from the day he committed and really hope he has a year that will bolster his draft status.

The person who made the comment that he is better suited to CBB offense than CBP doesn't know squat about football.  Leon's skill level the last two years suffered greatly from the Aprils Fools Joker.  This year, finally he might have the coaching he needs.

Well I don't know jack squat about football because I completely agree with that comment. By you saying that you must be under the impression that Petrino's offense is somewhat superior to Bielema's when that's not the case.

They have a different way of operating at the core. I actually think you have to be a better receiver to play in CBB's offense as it requires more from receivers than the Quarterback-friendly Petrino system.

When you put like 4 receivers on the field, you have a lot more buffer and receive a lot less attention than sometimes being the only threat out wide in the Bielema offense.

Both great systems, just different.

And please tell me what bad coaching has Hatcher been getting?

daBoar

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 09, 2015, 03:34:34 pm
I was named for Sonny Randle, wide receiver, St. Louis Cardinals. (Thanks, Dad, for not making it Sonny.)
i always thought your articles should be called Reece's Pieces.  Clearly, Sonny wouldn't have worked.