Started by ADavisTheGOAT, April 04, 2015, 02:02:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ADavisTheGOAT

Anyone know how he's doing in practice?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 04, 2015, 02:02:06 pm
Anyone know how he's doing in practice?

He is battling for the number 2 PK spot.  Adam McFain seems to have it locked down.  Adam was killing it from inside the 40 (50 yard kick)  and missed a 52 yarder today.
Retired Radio Host

jgphillips3

Nice problem to have.  It's a shame McFain didn't start game one last year.  We might have won 7 or even 8.  Always goes to show how valuable a good kicker is.  Hopefully him and Cole compete like hell and we have two good ones.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 04, 2015, 02:05:21 pm
He is battling for the number 2 PK spot.  Adam McFain seems to have it locked down.  Adam was killing it from inside the 40 (50 yard kick)  and missed a 52 yarder today.

If Hedlund can't win the job, it is a wasted schollie. We need the guy that can kick the 40 yarder in pressure situations. Plenty of guys kick from 50 in practice. Ish Ordonez may be the best pressure kicker that we ever just picked up to fill the need. He was from a California JUCO. He would have won us 2 extra games last year. Our place kicking was a serious problem last season.

HogCzar1

No matter who wins the job, we have to have somebody be consistent from 45 in. In addition, somebody who can consistently get it to the end zone on kickoffs.

Hopefully one of those guys can get it done.

Prestworthy

Wonder if Cole would make a better kick-off guy?  McFain really struggled kicking the ball into the endzone last year.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 04, 2015, 10:08:33 pm
Wonder if Cole would make a better kick-off guy?  McFain really struggled kicking the ball into the endzone last year.

That would be nice. Not out of the realm of possibility I wouldn't think.

nchogg

We will just have to wait and see how our new special teams coach does.

PaintballHog

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on April 04, 2015, 09:09:32 pm
If Hedlund can't win the job, it is a wasted schollie. We need the guy that can kick the 40 yarder in pressure situations. Plenty of guys kick from 50 in practice. Ish Ordonez may be the best pressure kicker that we ever just picked up to fill the need. He was from a California JUCO. He would have won us 2 extra games last year. Our place kicking was a serious problem last season.

This. Such a shame. He was said to be a beast in hs, I guess he can't grasp kicking with a holder. So odd.

I'm glad we have McFain to give us something tho.

Wildhog

Can Cole just get the ball to the endzone on KO's? 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

98hogs

Ish lost that game against Houston

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: 98hogs on April 05, 2015, 06:57:46 pm
Ish lost that game against Houston

Houston beat us some back then with some pretty good teams. I never said Ish was perfect just pretty reliable. Ish won a few for us too.

Hogarusa

How is having extra kickers a nice problem to have?  Seems like a wasted swing and a miss
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

PorkRinds

At some point I expect Cole will help us out in the kicking game.  It may take a bit for it to kick in, but I think he'll be fine. 

GuvHog

Ish was a good one, no doubt about it, but IMHO the best kicker the Hogs ever had was Steve Little. He still shares the record for the longest field Goal in NCAA history, a 67 yarder, with Russell Erxleben.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

tbhogfan

I hate to say it, but the harsh reality is that scholarship placekickers who cannot beat out the walkons probably aren't going to be scholarship placekickers for long.  There are too many needs on a team to waste a scholarship on a PK who isn't producing.
Go Hogs!

HogWall Jackson

April 06, 2015, 03:55:18 pm #16 Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:07:13 pm by HogWall Jackson
Quote from: GuvHog on April 06, 2015, 12:22:36 pm
Ish was a good one, no doubt about it, but IMHO the best kicker the Hogs ever had was Steve Little. He still shares the record for the longest field Goal in NCAA history, a 67 yarder, with Russell Erxleben.

No doubt Little was our best ever, but I used Ish Ordonez as an example because we picked him up at the CA JUCO and he kicked 2 yrs for us starting with his 1st day on Campus. BTW there were 3 great Kickers in the SWC at the same time with Littlem Erxleben and Tony Franklin from A&M. Franklin kicked 2 FGs in 1 game over 60 yards.

Most people did not know that Little was a great H.S. QB from Shawnee Mission, KS. JFB told him that he was too valuable to the team to play him at QB risking an injury.

ShaneHog

That kick against Houston was blocked. Ish didn't miss it

Paul

Quote from: GuvHog on April 06, 2015, 12:22:36 pm
Wasn't there a recent article about how these two had helium injected into their balls?  footballs that is!

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: ShaneHog on April 06, 2015, 05:06:06 pm

Thanks for the info, I didn't recall a Miss but didn't remember the Block either. We had some tough games with them back then. I remember the 1st one a 14-7 Win over the Cougars at Rice Stadium. Ben Cowans popped an 89 yard run out of the Veer right before the Half. We won but Houston ran the table won the SWC and went to the Cotton Bowl  their 1st year in the SWC. That was in the 76' season I think.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ShaneHog on April 06, 2015, 05:06:06 pm
Off Hosea Taylor's head, IIRC.  Might have been Leonard Mitchell.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Anyone know if Mcfain is on scholarship?

If not i assume he would get the scholarship if he wins the competition

texas tush hog

April 06, 2015, 10:56:14 pm #22 Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:08:37 pm by texas tush hog
Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on April 06, 2015, 09:14:25 pm
Anyone know if Mcfain is on scholarship?

If not i assume he would get the scholarship if he wins the competition

He may if Hedland transfers which I would not doubt would happen if he does not get a chance to kick in the games. We have not seen Hedland, so only the coaches know what's going on. Anyone who saw Henson kick against Texas A&M last year knows about that and then Henson beat out McFain at the end of the year. Does not inspire confidence in our special teams coach.

lefty08

Quote from: texas tush hog on April 06, 2015, 10:56:14 pm
He may if Hedland transfers which I would not doubt would happen if he does not get a chance to kick in the games. We have not seen Hedland, so only the coaches know what's going on. Anyone who saw Henson kick against Texas A&M last year knows about that and then Henson beat out McFain at the end of the year. Does not inspire confidence in our special teams coach.

Henson beat out mcfain?  Guess I missed that
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

southeasthog

Quote from: lefty08 on April 07, 2015, 05:39:43 am
Since Henson didn't attempt a FG or XP in the last 6 games of the season, it doesn't seem likely does it?

ricepig

Quote from: lefty08 on April 07, 2015, 05:39:43 am

He's finding it hard to believe that someone from Texas isn't the best.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: texas tush hog on April 06, 2015, 10:56:14 pm
The only info I have on the kicking competition was from a media member who watched a practice.  He wasn't too optimistic about Hedland.  Obviously the coaches see way more than we do.

Wolfpride

Kendall Trainor.............Did he lose any games for us?  I know he hit the game winner in the Holiday Bowl in 85.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.  And no good thing ever dies"
Andy Dufresne

Hoggish1

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 05, 2015, 06:22:32 pm
This. Such a shame. He was said to be a beast in hs, I guess he can't grasp kicking with a holder. So odd.

Can you explain what you're taking about ^?  I'm guessing it has something to do with a tee, but I'll hang up a listen...

Pathogen

Cole Hedlund = Vin Ascolese.

bennyl08

Quote from: Pathogen on April 08, 2015, 09:41:01 pm
Cole Hedlund = Vin Ascolese.

Every year that Vin was actually on our roster, he led the team, conference, and nation in every defensive stat possible, not to mention setting a few records on offense.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

justmaybe

The best thing about kicking for Arkansas back in the previous years with little and ordonez and trainer and others was a coach named Ken Turner. People used to come from all over to be tutored by him,,

In the heyday of Steve little and Franklin and Erxlabin there was the question of helium but the difference was the two inch tee they kicked from on field goals and they could use their own ball not the game ball. They all had these old worn balls they rooted out to the field with. That started changing when those three kickers were routinely kicking 60 years field goals. 

TheMallettMan

I met Ish Ordonez at the "Old Town" in San Diego around this time last year.  It was my anniversary and the wife and I had on Hogs shirts... we saw 2 other people in Hog shirts walking around and had to go say hi.... it was Ish and his wife.  We had a great 10-15 minute convo... SUPER GUY and a still a HOG... just a little story for ya   :razorback:
Just be a fan! you're not a coach or a player... just enjoy being a fan! WPS!