Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen

Started by JIHawg, April 03, 2015, 06:34:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 04, 2015, 11:04:47 am
He's been through a lot and continues to get better.  Here's to hoping he becomes a threat this season and completes more than 60% of his passes and scrambles more when no one is open.
Right on except he has proven he is somewhat fragile and doesn't need to take any extra shots.

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 03, 2015, 08:09:31 pm
Casey Dick had a similar road.  both handled it well though.

What does "handled it well" mean? To me, a quarterback that handles things
well, plays consistently good sound football. Neither Dick or Allen has done
that. Dick got yanked when he performed poorly, which paved the way for others
to have their stab at the position. Allen's been a full time starter for 2 years and
change, and has never been benched for poor performance. To me, that's an indication
of poor coaching, or an empty cupboard at back up. You can't make a silk purse out
of a sow's ear. Whoever recruits QBs on this coaching staff, needs his ass fired IMO.

MissippHog

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on April 06, 2015, 01:12:12 am
Whoever recruits QBs on this coaching staff, needs his ass fired IMO.
Fired huh?  Let's see, Austin was already signed, sealed, and delivered once Bielema got here.  Rafe is in his second year in the program and Ty just came on board.  You seem to be upset that our coach known for running the ball is unable to bring in a 5 star QB that's ready to play and unseat the 5th year senior. 

PaintballHog

to have their stab at the position. Allen's been a full time starter for 2 years and
change, and has never been benched for poor performance. To me, that's an indication
of poor coaching, or an empty cupboard at back up. You can't make a silk purse out
of a sow's ear. Whoever recruits QBs on this coaching staff, needs his ass fired IMO.

Lol wut

hogwild6700

Reminds me a lot of Casey Dick-it terms of what he has had to go through.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 05, 2015, 03:45:23 pm
Brandon Allen will be one of the better QB's in the SEC in 2015.  He's paid his dues quietly under difficult circumstances and now it's his time to shine. 

I agree.  If he plays as well as he did in the bowl game, he could be All-SEC this fall.

And if he plays that well, we are going to win a lot of games this fall, IMO.

I understand a lot is on him, but that's part and parcel of playing that position.

He needs to step up to that challenge.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Deep Shoat

Mr. Swine-as-wine, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Kevin

need clicks on the website, just start a ba thread.

it is the spring, all the qb's should look good
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HogMantheIntruder

I'm with ya buddy!  We should have four 4* qb's on campus.  Anything less is unacceptable! 

Oh wait, we DO HAVE FOUR 4* QB'S ON CAMPUS!!!!

Your opinion is moronic at best, and you should keep it to yourself. 
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Sportster365

Quote from: JIHawg on April 03, 2015, 06:34:45 pm
My hat's off to the kid.  He was thrown into the fire before it was his time, and when the team was really bad.

I've always had problems with that analysis. I hardly describe starting out the 2nd half with a 21-7 lead against ULM (Sunbelt Conf.) as being thrown into the fire. Aside from that he was a red-shirt Freshman, meaning it was his 2nd year in the program.

Folding in your own backyard with as much as a 21pt lead against a Sunbelt team when you've got NFL caliber players surrounding you (Davis, Johnson, Graggs, Hamilton) screamed red flag to me.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 06, 2015, 11:57:55 am
I've always had problems with that analysis. I hardly describe starting out the 2nd half with a 21-7 lead against ULM (Sunbelt Conf.) as being thrown into the fire. Aside from that he was a red-shirt Freshman, meaning it was his 2nd year in the program.

Folding in your own backyard with as much as a 21pt lead against a Sunbelt team when you've got NFL caliber players surrounding you (Davis, Johnson, Graggs, Hamilton) screamed red flag to me.
Are you kidding me???  All he should have had to do was hand the ball off.  That was the worst offensive play calling I have ever seen at Arkansas, LITERALLY. That is why we lost that game, and ULM is not your typical "Sunbelt team".  They consistently give SEC teams problems.  It's not a rent-a-win. 
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Biggus Piggus

Isn't everybody who recruited these guys gone? Wow.
[CENSORED]!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 06, 2015, 12:04:24 pm
Are you kidding me???  All he should have had to do was hand the ball off.  That was the worst offensive play calling I have ever seen at Arkansas, LITERALLY. That is why we lost that game, and ULM is not your typical "Sunbelt team".  They consistently give SEC teams problems.  It's not a rent-a-win. 

Still, it's hardly "thrown into the fire".

There are true freshmen that start and produce all the time, even in the SEC.

It's a challenge, but it's not some unscalable mountain, either.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 06, 2015, 12:09:05 pm
Still, it's hardly "thrown into the fire".

There are true freshmen that start and produce all the time, even in the SEC.

It's a challenge, but it's not some unscalable mountain, either.

All the time?  List em for us...

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 06, 2015, 12:19:40 pm

All the time, as in it is not infrequent.  The Allen kid at TAMU last year, Jameis at FSU.  Those two are just off the top of my head.  Wasn't the kid that started most of the year at LSU a true freshman?

The point, which you tried to obfuscate, is the situation BA was put in wasn't nearly as big a deal as you BA apologists want to portray.

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 06, 2015, 12:24:41 pm
All the time, as in it is not infrequent.  The Allen kid at TAMU last year, Jameis at FSU.  Those two are just off the top of my head.  Wasn't the kid that started most of the year at LSU a true freshman?

The point, which you tried to obfuscate, is the situation BA was put in wasn't nearly as big a deal as you BA apologists want to portray.

Winston was a redshirt freshman.  Jennings was LSU's starter for most of the year, although they did give Harris a shot and it was a disaster.  The kid at TAMU did pretty well as a Freshman, but I wouldn't say he lit the world on fire because they floundered pretty bad with him at the helm.  Again though, you said it happnens "all the time".  Even if you meant it's not infrequent, you'd be wrong again.  It is infrequent, especially in the SEC.  I'm not here to claim that BA was in a horrible spot age wise, but being QB under the JLS regime had to be a difficult proposition.  Heck, even Tyler Wilson struggled to get that team up to par, and he was a 5th year senior! I'd say asking a Freshman to do the same thing is asking for disaster when you consider how bad that staff actually was.

HappyHogFan

Brandon has had ZERO consistency in terms of his environment as a Hog. QBs need consistency to develop.

As much as I would love to see Rafe get a shot this year barring a total disaster it would be ridiculous to start him over Allen at this point.

Deep Shoat

For every one true freshman QB success story you can name, there are 20 who failed.  It's ignorant, at best, to pretend it's the "norm" for frosh to succeed "all the time".
All Gas, No Brakes!

Biggus Piggus

The TAM situation is not exactly a good example. ROFL.
[CENSORED]!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 06, 2015, 01:21:37 pm
For every one true freshman QB success story you can name, there are 20 who failed.  It's ignorant, at best, to pretend it's the "norm" for frosh to succeed "all the time".

I didn't intend to portray that it's the norm, just that you see it quite often.

Which, if you go back and read that post, was the point there.  So let me restate for the learning impaired:

Saying that starting as a freshman is being "thrown into the fire" is incorrect, a hyperbole intended to defend poor little Brandon at all costs.

And I doubt you're 20:1 ratio is valid either.  There really aren't that many freshmen that start, but way more than 5% of those at least produce, and don't choke games away or play like a deer in the headlights.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 06, 2015, 01:23:44 pm
The TAM situation is not exactly a good example. ROFL.

Why is that, sir?  If you can get up off the floor, stop laughing, and reply like a mature individual.

MissippHog

C'mon man, I know you're trying to prove your point but dang, the TAMU and LSU examples are horrible.

It does happen, but it's rare and definitely not the norm.  And when you do see true freshmen take over the QB spot, it rarely ends well.

Quote from: HappyHogFan on April 06, 2015, 01:10:53 pm
Brandon has had ZERO consistency in terms of his environment as a Hog. QBs need consistency to develop.
I agree.  BA (and those that are left in his recruiting class) have had 3 different head coaches.  He is also on his 4th OC. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 06, 2015, 01:24:57 pm
I didn't intend to portray that it's the norm, just that you see it quite often.

Which, if you go back and read that post, was the point there.  So let me restate for the learning impaired:

Saying that starting as a freshman is being "thrown into the fire" is incorrect, a hyperbole intended to defend poor little Brandon at all costs.

And I doubt you're 20:1 ratio is valid either.  There really aren't that many freshmen that start, but way more than 5% of those at least produce, and don't choke games away or play like a deer in the headlights.
I wonder why...  ::)
All Gas, No Brakes!

wpswillriseagain

Every loss was on allen? I would not blame all losses on him. I know he threw a late int against Bama this year but he also through a would be TD pass and Kody Walker fumbled at the 1. with that blaming the loss on Kody would be just as preposterous. Alex Collins has fumbled in some big moments but we arent gonna point a finger at him. Brandon Allen has made some big mistakes but he is not the only one. As he has improved, the whole team has

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 06, 2015, 01:28:40 pm
I wonder why...  ::)

True.  Still, quite a few of them produce.  I WONDER WHY??

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: wpswillriseagain on April 06, 2015, 01:29:22 pm
Every loss was on allen? I would not blame all losses on him. I know he threw a late int against Bama this year but he also through a would be TD pass and Kody Walker fumbled at the 1. with that blaming the loss on Kody would be just as preposterous. Alex Collins has fumbled in some big moments but we arent gonna point a finger at him. Brandon Allen has made some big mistakes but he is not the only one. As he has improved, the whole team has

Who's blaming Brandon for any of those losses?  The entire team and coaching staff choked vs. ULM.

Bama, we never had a chance even if Brandon had played like Manziel.

MissippHog

Yeah, but you forgot the tripping penalty BA had that would have sealed the game against TAMU.......... ;)

MissippHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 06, 2015, 01:31:50 pm
I'm beginning to wonder if you watched any of the games. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MissippHog on April 06, 2015, 01:34:36 pm
I'm beginning to wonder if you watched any of the games. 

No, I have never watched ANY of the games.

MissippHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 06, 2015, 01:39:16 pm
No, I have never watched ANY of the games.

I know he threw a late int against Bama this year but he also through a would be TD pass and Kody Walker fumbled at the 1. with that blaming the loss on Kody would be just as preposterous.

And your response:
So yeah, did you even watch the game?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MissippHog on April 06, 2015, 01:43:49 pm
And your response:So yeah, did you even watch the game?

My point was Bama was the better team, and if Brandon had played better that day, Bama would have simply upped their game and they would have won.

The rest of that stuff is mental masturbation.  You can "what if" yourself blue in the face.

That is why I don't blame Brandon for that loss.  Is there anything else I can help you with this afternoon?

Chuck Beavers

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 06, 2015, 12:06:41 pm
Isn't everybody who recruited these guys gone? Wow.

The point he's making is that "these guys" are still here and still playing. We've seen Brandon for three years. He's won two SEC games and a bowl game. The loses are not all his fault, but he's been a big part of it.

Down by four points with three minutes left in the game, do you really want the ball in Brandon Allen's hands? Remember all those come from behind wins? Me neither.

We've seen Brandon Allen for three years. A lot of us don't think he is very good. I'm sorry if that is "bashing", but I don't know how to put it more politely. We are going into his third year of starting. The coaches, at least, think he is still the best option. It would have been nice to have some better options.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Chuck Beavers on April 06, 2015, 02:18:13 pm
The point he's making is that "these guys" are still here and still playing. We've seen Brandon for three years. He's won two SEC games and a bowl game. The loses are not all his fault, but he's been a big part of it.

Down by four points with three minutes left in the game, do you really want the ball in Brandon Allen's hands? Remember all those come from behind wins? Me neither.

We've seen Brandon Allen for three years. A lot of us don't think he is very good. I'm sorry if that is "bashing", but I don't know how to put it more politely. We are going into his third year of starting. The coaches, at least, think he is still the best option. It would have been nice to have some better options.

Brandon has got a clean slate in my book.  There are quite a few beloved QB's in Razorback lore who bloomed late and led the Hogs to a great season.

I'm hopeful this will be Brandon's year to step his game up and be a force at that position, with no excuses.

I know he's got the ability.

Honestly I struggle more with the Brandon Allen fan club who watch out for him like he's a 2 year old playing near the street.  I guess it's an emotional response to what they perceive as BA getting attacked, and while I know there is some of that, IMO the vast majority of us who have been critical of his play are basing that criticism on his play, and not on some personal anima we feel for the young man.

DeltaBoy

I'm praying he has a healthy Sr year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 06, 2015, 02:30:00 pm
I'm praying he has a healthy Sr year.

I agree.  Still, I don't think it's necessarily fair to AA or RP to be too drastic in that view.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 06, 2015, 11:39:12 am
Mr. Swine-as-wine, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Oh Billy...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 06, 2015, 12:19:40 pm

Ummm.....you weren't supposed to say that!

nchogg

Our defense fell apart the second half of that game and ULM offense ran, passed and took the lead back. Yes our offense got stagnant but don't blame BA, he wasn't alone on the field.

Augustus

Yep. If I recall, we had 2 very big plays (one for a TD) called back because OL penalties, late in the A&M game.  It all isn't on BA, but his position usually gets the credit/blame. Win as a team, lose as a team.

Sportster365

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 06, 2015, 12:04:24 pm

That's just it PT. There's always been a scapegoat. First it was Paul Petrino's play calling and the QBs inexperience along with a weak Oline. Next it was inexperienced coupled with poor receivers and a new play book. Then an injury, coupled with poor receivers. On to poor receivers and a weak Oline. To a difficult play book, questionable OC and weak receivers. There's always seems to be a reason.

The excuses are real and exist due to sub-par performances.

HogShat

Doesnt hold water... PP not milking the clock, and calling waaaay too many pass plays was the dagger here. Not to mention a Petrino deadfense. Imagine the emotional letdown for everyone left when your starting QB goes down, one of your DB's is carried off like he is paralyzed, FB breaks his leg, what else did I miss? Besides, that was a very good Sunbelt team.

Augustus

Who's blaming Brandon for any of those losses?  The entire team and coaching staff choked vs. ULM.

ULM, huh? Which or our current coaching staff actually coached in that game? Is ULM really your argument?

And, Bama? Ask their fans about how they felt about that game... they were warning other SEC fanbases about us.  Interestingly, Hogs went on to shutout LSU and Ole Miss (who beat Bama a few weeks earlier).

I felt the need to point that out, because of your stating we never had a chance in the Bama game, I'm not sure if you followed the rest of the season across the SEC?

Or... are you still only talking about 2012?

Sportster365

Quote from: nchogg on April 06, 2015, 03:46:35 pm
Our defense fell apart the second half of that game and ULM offense ran, passed and took the lead back. Yes our offense got stagnant but don't blame BA, he wasn't alone on the field.

I wasn't blaming anyone... just refuting the claim that the QB was some how thrown into the fire... while playing a half against a Sunbelt team with a 21pt lead... playing as a Sophomore (Red-Shirt Freshman)

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Augustus on April 06, 2015, 03:56:28 pm
ULM, huh? Which or our current coaching staff actually coached in that game? Is ULM really your argument?

And, Bama? Ask their fans about how they felt about that game... they were warning other SEC fanbases about us.  Interestingly, Hogs went on to shutout LSU and Ole Miss (who beat Bama a few weeks earlier).

I felt the need to point that out, because of your stating we never had a chance in the Bama game, I'm not sure if you followed the rest of the season across the SEC?

Or... are you still only talking about 2012?

Do you really want to debate your vs. my analysis of every game since BA played his first game?

That's a stupid waste of time. 

Instead, just TRY to look at the bigger picture.  PLEASE!!

Instead of nitpicking every single comment in every single post try to follow along on the major points.

Or not.  Whatever.

Sportster365

Quote from: HogShat on April 06, 2015, 03:54:38 pm
Doesnt hold water... PP not milking the clock, and calling waaaay too many pass plays was the dagger here. Not to mention a Petrino deadfense. Imagine the emotional letdown for everyone left when your starting QB goes down, one of your DB's is carried off like he is paralyzed, FB breaks his leg, what else did I miss? Besides, that was a very good Sunbelt team.

No excuse for a Division 1 P5 conf. team with the talent they have on the roster (compared to a mid-major) to lose after having a 21pt lead in their own backyard. Sure mid-majors beat good teams "all the time" but those generally come in games where the score has been close all game or the cup cakes got out on a fast start. Wilson left that game with Arkansas in full command.

HogShat

And the signal caller failed to adjust accordingly....

BadHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 04, 2015, 09:24:08 pm
Why do some people fly off the handle when a poster dares praise Brandon Allen? Just stop yourselves before you stupid up again.

Amen!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

southeasthog

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 06, 2015, 04:03:33 pm
No excuse for a Division 1 P5 conf. team with the talent they have on the roster (compared to a mid-major) to lose after having a 21pt lead in their own backyard. Sure mid-majors beat good teams "all the time" but those generally come in games where the score has been close all game or the cup cakes got out on a fast start. Wilson left that game with Arkansas in full command.
When Wilson went out we had a 21-7 lead. That is a 14 point halftime lead on a sunbelt team. Allen threw a TD pas to start the 3rd quarter to make it 28-7 and give us the 21 point lead. PP then proceeded to call deep pass after deep pass while our defense let their QB have a field day. They ended up with 550 total yards. That ain't on BA.

Kevin

Quote from: Chuck Beavers on April 06, 2015, 02:18:13 pm

Great post, this is how I feel exactly
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Sportster365

Quote from: southeasthog on April 06, 2015, 04:17:48 pm
When Wilson went out we had a 21-7 lead. That is a 14 point halftime lead on a sunbelt team. Allen threw a TD pas to start the 3rd quarter to make it 28-7 and give us the 21 point lead. PP then proceeded to call deep pass after deep pass while our defense let their QB have a field day. They ended up with 550 total yards. That ain't on BA.

Again, it's everyone else's fault right? The streets are full of near could've beens with tons of excuses as to why they never measured up.