Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen

Started by JIHawg, April 03, 2015, 06:34:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on April 11, 2015, 11:51:52 am
Kid probably wanted to stay close to home.

I'm glad he's a Hog, but I hope if he gets a shot we utilize his skill set to the fullest and don't put a square peg in a round hole so to speak.

Did you ever stop to think that MAYBE he WANTS to play in a pro style offense and shed your beloved "dual threat" description.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike Irwin

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on April 11, 2015, 08:50:10 am
Well, Muskogee, when Mike Irwin comes on here and says Rafe and Ty got very few reps in practice, that AA played exclusively with the 2s, and only (assumed) BA got reps with the 1s, then I would hardly call that a fair way to "earn a particular spot/placement on the depth chart every single week."

That was one scrimmage. YOU NEVER read something like what you're trying to suggest into a single practice out of 15 in the spring.

Neither you or me or anyone else not on that staff has a clue why their reps were limited in that particular scrimmage.

Today Peavey and Story got more reps than Austin. What wild conclusions can you come to out of that?

The whining and moaning on this board about the QB situation reminds me of a bunch of hunters running around in the woods at night firing random shots off into the dark. You may think you hit something but it's your imagination at work.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 11, 2015, 02:55:54 pm
I remember a story about a two time winning Super Bowl QB that when he signed with a traditional power he was promised they would change the offense. He came in started playing and an injury occurred and the coaches put in a RB that tore up the field and the coaches went BACK to the offense they were using........................The QB transferred and the rest is history................His name is Troy Aikman. He left OU and went to UCLA. ANY coach that makes a promise of changing something to suit ONE player is not a principled coach.

Actually they didn't have any of the usual big name RB's that year. They had Lydell Carr, Spencer Tillman and Patrick Collins. Not exactly household names. But what they did have was a Freshman QB in Jamelle Holieway who was a Wishbone QB that stepped in and played like a Senior. They also had a pretty good receiving TE by the name of Keith Jackson from Little Rock. Of course they also had a pretty rock solid defense as well that year that really helped.

I take my hat off to Switzer for converting back to the Wishbone in a single week of practice. That had to be a heck of a week for that offensive staff. It helped them a great deal to be facing Iowa State the week after losing to Miami, the game in which Aikman was injured.
Go Hogs Go!

Theolesnort

Brandon reverted back to an old habit today, he threw a little to late on several throws but he had some good ones also. Austin is ready to play or so it looks to me in case Brandon gets hurt again. He is just getting better and better.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 11, 2015, 03:19:30 pm
Brandon reverted back to an old habit today, he threw a little to late on several throws but he had some good ones also. Austin is ready to play or so it looks to me in case Brandon gets hurt again. He is just getting better and better.

Mike said he completed 73% of his passes and against this defense, that sounds pretty good. What was the result of those late throws?
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 03:08:17 pm
That was one scrimmage. YOU NEVER read something like what you're trying to suggest into a single practice out of 15 in the spring.

Neither you or me or anyone else not on that staff has a clue why their reps were limited in that particular scrimmage.

Today Peavey and Story got more reps than Austin. What wild conclusions can you come to out of that?

The whining and moaning on this board about the QB situation reminds me of a bunch of hunters running around in the woods at night firing random shots off into the dark. You may think you hit something but it's your imagination at work.

So it is official, and reported by Mike Irwin, AA falls to the #4 spot. It must be true coz it happened in one practice.  ;)

I'm sorry but couldn't resist.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Mike Irwin

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 11, 2015, 03:25:34 pm
Mike said he completed 73% of his passes and against this defense, that sounds pretty good. What was the result of those late throws?
I thought he looked very good. That wasn't a bunch of walk-ons he was going up against. Bielema said this was the most game-like scrimmage they'll have. Next week will be polish and the spring game will be the goods against everybody else.

This was the scrimmage that you wanted to see. The most competitive. The most revealing.

The late throw stuff was simply BA making sure he didn't throw a pick. He's gonna look  until he finds an open receiver. If that's a flaw then I'll take the flaw especially when your completion percentage is 73.

daBoar

The sad thing about 73% is there's not much upside 😉

Wayne Watson

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on April 11, 2015, 10:55:55 am
That's what I'm asking you.

Rafe originally was recruited by BP, I believe.  At least I've read he kept his commitment to Arkansas, somewhat surprisingly, when CBB was named HC..

BP didn't recruit.  He was worse than Herring as far as recruiting goes.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

LZH

Quote from: Wayne Watson on April 11, 2015, 04:49:35 pm

Say what?  He had a supreme eye for talent.....

Wayne Watson

Quote from: LZH on April 11, 2015, 05:25:16 pm

You owe me a keyboard.  This one just got a Jim Beam shower!  +1
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

LZH

Quote from: Wayne Watson on April 11, 2015, 05:27:25 pm
You owe me a keyboard.  This one just got a Jim Beam shower!  +1

;)

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wayne Watson on April 11, 2015, 04:49:35 pm
lol, sure whatever.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2015, 04:18:53 pm
I thought he looked very good. That wasn't a bunch of walk-ons he was going up against. Bielema said this was the most game-like scrimmage they'll have. Next week will be polish and the spring game will be the goods against everybody else.

This was the scrimmage that you wanted to see. The most competitive. The most revealing.

The late throw stuff was simply BA making sure he didn't throw a pick. He's gonna look  until he finds an open receiver. If that's a flaw then I'll take the flaw especially when your completion percentage is 73.
Well considering he completed 73% of his passes then the two or three late deliveries he made plus the first pass he threw was a drop that was easy to catch then he was almost perfect today. The late throws he made just allowed the dback to recover and make a play on the receiver causing in-completions instead of being caught. Sorry for being a little rough on Brandon since he was close to perfect. The late throws were all medium range to longer passes. Seems to me we all hold Brandon to higher standards than any of the others and that includes me. Kinda unfair. The biggest thing I took out of the scrimmage was the two deep dlines and they for the most part all made plays. I am pumped about that and I am a olineman background sort of person. The other thing I think Austin is just about ready to play in case Brandon gets hurt. Man he has made some strides and I am sure he will make some more between now and Sept.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Augustus

So... let me get this straight... we're supposed to give the #2 and/or #3 QB on the chart equal snaps/squads as the #1?

In that scenario, I wonder what your comments would be in late October, if the #1 wasn't showing continued development... because of limited practice time earlier in the year? (Especially with a new OC)

Personally, I'll trust the Coaches who are qualified and hired/paid to make the decisions of who gets how many snaps with what squad, at the Div 1 collegiate level.

I remember seeing a WHOLE lot of second guessing by the Bama fanbase, about who should be the QB. Seeing as Bama won the SEC, last year... It appears the guys paid to make that decision made the right choice? And, from what I've read/seen, their QB "race" was much closer than ours?

gchamblee

lou holtz said it best....

the fans always think the answer to the quarterback position is sitting on the bench.

Theolesnort

Quote from: gchamblee on April 11, 2015, 09:53:44 pm
lou holtz said it best....

the fans always think the answer to the quarterback position is sitting on the bench.
And we with our limited knowledge of the inside knowledge of playing the position think we know more than the coaches. Yep we do. Kinda funny strange  are we not?

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: lefty08 on April 11, 2015, 09:56:15 am
For God sakes, let It go. Rafe is 3rd string now and will continue to be unless he proves himself. Your post count in this thread is almost as ridiculous as your ideas. Its gone from funny to entertaining to just plain stupid. The gig is up, you are now an out of work comedian

My 'realistic' opinion is that the post count is far behind...IMHO

AA and RP should push the other.

" GO HOGS "

Tusks

74% completion rate.......13.5 yards per/completion.

That's not bad at all.

Funny how BB is touting BA as a possible all SEC QB for this fall and thinks he has a chance to achieve that.  It's one thing to say it just to BA to boost his confidence.  It's a whole other animal all together to be telling the press that he's telling BA that he can be all SEC if performs.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Mike Irwin

Bielema said that he has challenged Brandon to be the best QB in the SEC. Do I think he will end up there? No. But it's a realistic goal.

Tusks

If BA can go 204 completions on 276 attempts for 2,760 yards with 24 TD and no INT.

I would TAKE that right now and give the rest to the running game and defense and take my chances.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

presidenthog

Quote from: tusked on April 11, 2015, 11:27:55 pm
If BA can go 204 completions on 276 attempts for 2,760 yards with 24 TD and no INT.

I would TAKE that right now and give the rest to the running game and defense and take my chances.
i would take it as well. I remember the auburn back up qb being pretty good. I cant remember who else will have a qb with flashy stats, probably a&m. Either way idk if that td amount would be enough to get it over them in the voters eyes. But in our offense that kind of effeciency it would be a huge year for him worthy of it.

PorkSoda

Quote from: tusked on April 11, 2015, 10:37:23 pm
74% completion rate.......13.5 yards per/completion.

That's not bad at all.

Funny how BB is touting BA as a possible all SEC QB for this fall and thinks he has a chance to achieve that.  It's one thing to say it just to BA to boost his confidence.  It's a whole other animal all together to be telling the press that he's telling BA that he can be all SEC if performs.

a lot of teams are going to be breaking in new QBs this season, so I could see it happening, if he keeps his head in the game and plays up to his potential.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 11, 2015, 03:14:15 pm
Actually they didn't have any of the usual big name RB's that year. They had Lydell Carr, Spencer Tillman and Patrick Collins. Not exactly household names. But what they did have was a Freshman QB in Jamelle Holieway who was a Wishbone QB that stepped in and played like a Senior. They also had a pretty good receiving TE by the name of Keith Jackson from Little Rock. Of course they also had a pretty rock solid defense as well that year that really helped.

I take my hat off to Switzer for converting back to the Wishbone in a single week of practice. That had to be a heck of a week for that offensive staff. It helped them a great deal to be facing Iowa State the week after losing to Miami, the game in which Aikman was injured.

My bad. Thanks for the correction. I meant QB meaning Jamelle Holieway. I don't know why I said RB. Perhaps it was because it was the wishbone so he ran a lot. I honestly don't blame Barry for making that move either but it is the main reason Troy transferred. I also don't blame Troy for leaving because he wasn't a wishbone QB obviously. It is interesting to note that Jamelle was from California and Troy transferred to UCLA. Another is that Jamelle got hurt later in his career at OU and was replaced by another pretty good QB in Charles Thompson. A little irony in those. My main point is a football coach should not make promises of changing their entire playbook and style JUST to sign and suit one player at any position.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on April 11, 2015, 05:25:16 pm

He recruited her as his tight end......................................

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: daBoar on April 11, 2015, 04:22:27 pm

OK. You succeeded. I'm mystified.
[CENSORED]!

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: daBoar on April 11, 2015, 04:22:27 pm

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 12, 2015, 12:07:17 pm

I'm hoping he just forgot to give us a #sarcasm hashtag or a wink, cause otherwise bats**t crazy...
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Mike Irwin

There a wink thingy included in the post. I'm convinced he was kidding.

daBoar

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 12, 2015, 12:07:17 pm
That is sarcasm; would have thought most would have seen that.  I love BA, statistically, he improved the second most last year in the SEC.........that's great any year, but is really impressive since he still has another year.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 12, 2015, 03:42:16 pm
There a wink thingy included in the post. I'm convinced he was kidding.

Ah - I couldn't read the emote - all I got was a box, which is not very expressive.
[CENSORED]!

LZH

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 11, 2015, 09:59:44 pm
And we with our limited knowledge of the inside knowledge of playing the position think we know more than the coaches. Yep we do. Kinda funny strange  are we not?

I can solve everyone's problems but my own.

Pork Twain

I am pretty pumped to see the results of this new shakeup on the staff and the impact it will have on our qbs.  I think the outcome will be more positive than many expect and while I do not expect BA to be Tom Brady, I also do not expect him to be Trent Dilfer, but guess what...both won a Super Bowl (i.e. a qb that can put up good numbers, manage the game and make few mistakes, can win it all with a colid defense and running game).
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/