Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen

Started by JIHawg, April 03, 2015, 06:34:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoginsavga

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 06, 2015, 01:31:50 pm
Who's blaming Brandon for any of those losses?  The entire team and coaching staff choked vs. ULM.

Bama, we never had a chance even if Brandon had played like Manziel.

If I remember correctly some critical passes were dropped in the ULM game.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hoginsavga on April 06, 2015, 05:22:29 pm

And tackles missed, and blocks missed, and on and on and on.

IMO everyone failed in that one, especially the coaching staff.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jabohog

While I was the first to yell get BA out of the Mizzou game after he got hurt and still don't understand why they didn't, I do believe he was going to pull that game out if Collins hadn't fumbled the game away. He was struggling due to his back, but I think that would have been his first come from behind victory. I think we may see a couple of those this year if his teamates don't choke.

Medic821

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: jabohog on April 06, 2015, 05:34:42 pm
While I was the first to yell get BA out of the Mizzou game after he got hurt and still don't understand why they didn't, I do believe he was going to pull that game out if Collins hadn't fumbled the game away. He was struggling due to his back, but I think that would have been his first come from behind victory. I think we may see a couple of those this year if his teamates don't choke.
I put that one squarely on the backs of the coaches.  I think we win if we either A) donn't completely abandon the run when Allen obviously can't complete a pass bc of the injury -or- B) put in AA who showed against OM that he is fully capable of handling the offense.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Prestworthy

Quote from: BadHog on April 06, 2015, 04:10:33 pm
Amen!
The opposite is also true. Any critique of BA is met with hostility.
I guess it just comes with having an average QB.

rzrbackramsfan

why did Ohio state get three qbs on their roster better than our starter of 2 years?

LZH

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 06, 2015, 11:26:26 pm
why did Ohio state get three qbs on their roster better than our starter of 2 years?

Is that kinda like "why did you rob that bank?"................

MissippHog

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 06, 2015, 04:56:22 pm
Again, it's everyone's else's fault right? The streets are full of near could've beens with tons of excuses as to why they never measured up.
FIFY.  Team sport gets team losses.  Yet so many want to blame a certain person for each loss.

nchogg

Quote from: jabohog on April 06, 2015, 05:34:42 pm
[/quote
I watched the game and agree. Watching BA getting off the ground with a hurt back told me he needed to be pulled. Mizzo defense was getting to Brandon and they had blood in their eyes. He could not scramble and was in a lot of pain. Austin did good aginst Ole Miss and showed he could take over. This is all water under the bridge. I hope coach learned a lesson. I would bet our new OC would pull Brandon if he was hurt like that. But that's only speculation.

ricepig

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 06, 2015, 11:26:26 pm
Free tats.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 07, 2015, 07:27:18 am
Free cars

I thought that was at Bama, I get so confused on the "extra" benefits these days...

HogShat

bphi11ips

Quote from: LZH on April 07, 2015, 12:05:52 am
Is that kinda like "why did you rob that bank?"................

The Willie Sutton Rule will always be Arkansas' s biggest challenge. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Sportster365

Quote from: MissippHog on April 07, 2015, 12:15:30 am
FIFY.  Team sport gets team losses.  Yet so many want to blame a certain person for each loss.

I'm not grading anyone on wins and losses alone. I'm merely grading them on performance. The point is folks wanna continue looking to excuses as to why players aren't playing up to par. A. Collins is one of the best RBs in the SEC, yet he shouldered a 2-14 SEC conference record along with everyone else. Their have been and are still great players playing on bad teams.

If you're playing well, regardless whether you win or lose fans will see it. Excuses only comes into play when the performances lack luster.

Großer Kriegschwein

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 06, 2015, 05:23:46 pm
And tackles missed, and blocks missed, and on and on and on.

IMO everyone failed in that one, especially the coaching staff.
Quote from: Hoginsavga on April 06, 2015, 05:22:29 pm

ULM played a hell of a game and had something to do with our problems that day.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 07, 2015, 12:00:12 pm
ULM played a hell of a game and had something to do with our problems that day.

Absolutely true.  Their staff out-coached ours something fierce that night.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HogShat

Kolton Browning was no joke. Got an invite to the Cowboys training camp, and did a short stint in the CFL. Now he is with the Brooklyn Bolts in the Fall Experimental Football League.

Augustus

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 06, 2015, 04:00:36 pm
Do you really want to debate your vs. my analysis of every game since BA played his first game?

That's a stupid waste of time. 

Instead, just TRY to look at the bigger picture.  PLEASE!!

Instead of nitpicking every single comment in every single post try to follow along on the major points.

Or not.  Whatever.

Oh, sorry... I missed the part where you're allowed to insert specific instances to *try* to fit your point/agenda, but when somebody calls you on it, you're allowed to lecture about "focusing on the bigger picture"

my bad

LZH

Quote from: Augustus on April 07, 2015, 10:03:30 pm
Oh, sorry... I missed the part where you're allowed to insert specific instances to *try* to fit your point/agenda, but when somebody calls you on it, you're allowed to lecture about "focusing on the bigger picture"

my bad

Yes....how dare you.   :P

Darren DeLoach

Geesh. I hope Brandon kills it this year, and shuts some of you unrelenting, whiny naysayers up. Not that I am a blind Brandon-ite, but it is clear, he WILL be our quarterback whether you or I like it. So whine all you want, but please be more creative. It is getting soooooooo old.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Augustus on April 07, 2015, 10:03:30 pm

my bad

You don't see the value of looking at the larger point vs. nitpicking every word of a guy's post?

Sportster365

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on April 07, 2015, 11:55:06 pm
Geesh. I hope Brandon kills it this year, and shuts some of you unrelenting, whiny naysayers up. Not that I am a blind Brandon-ite, but it is clear, he WILL be our quarterback whether you or I like it. So whine all you want, but please be more creative. It is getting soooooooo old.
What's getting old are the excuses.... and the 53% completion percentages.

daBoar

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 08, 2015, 12:09:30 pm
BA's passing completion rate last year was 56.0%; most of that against SEC and Big 12 competition. BA also was #7 in the SEC in passing efficiency, and #2 in the SEC in both fewest interceptions and interception rate (while playing for a team that only won 2 SEC games).  His 2014 # of completions increase 48% over 2013, while his passing efficiency increased 18.5%, and his percent complete increased 13%.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: daBoar on April 08, 2015, 08:35:06 pm
BA's passing completion rate last year was 56.0%; most of that against SEC and Big 12 competition. BA also was #7 in the SEC in passing efficiency, and #2 in the SEC in both fewest interceptions and interception rate (while playing for a team that only won 2 SEC games).  His 2014 # of completions increase 48% over 2013, while his passing efficiency increased 18.5%, and his percent complete increased 13%.

While the 56% may have been  an improvement, it's still not winning QB play, especially in the SEC.

Brandon did improve last year and he must improve further to play at a winning level for us this fall.  It's pretty critical if we're going to have one of those "great" years in 2015.

His performance vs. Texas was definitely encouraging.

Mike Irwin

Then propose a solution. What exactly needs to happen to improve his completion percentage?

oldbear

One thing that would help his completion percentage is fewer drops. There were way too many last year. I am confident that is being worked on.

Second, it would help if he stays healthy. He has had some pretty significant injuries that would be hard to argue with a straight face didn't hurt him.

Neither of these were his fault in any way, and I would suggest he would be close to 60% if those could be substantially cured. BA may not be an NFL quarterback. I have no idea because I am not qualified to make that evaluation. I would suggest that he does what he is asked to do and is coached to do and does it pretty well or he would be replaced. He has continually improved. It is hard to any disk much more.

JIHawg

You get one applaud for every ten smites.  That makes your percentage around 10%.  You're not doing quite as good as Brandon.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 08, 2015, 09:25:24 pm
Then propose a solution. What exactly needs to happen to improve his completion percentage?
I'd say better understanding of progressions and more mobility when receivers aren't open. Almost every game the announcers would mention BA struggling with progressions. But I hope he eclipses the 60% mark this year as a 5th year player.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 03, 2015, 07:45:38 pm
There's about 85 on scholarship at any given time that pay their dues.  Brandon hasn't done anything above and beyond.

He's having a chance to live his dream, and write himself into Razorback folklore.  I have high hopes for him this year.

But until he plays CONSISTENT winning football and LEADS this team by excellent play on the field, then he's not done anything to deserve the accolades  you want to give him.

BUT there's 84 who have NOT had their truck burned... I'm just saying...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Crickets....

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Did you burn his truck..?  -1 because I am not a bitch... I'll let you know right up front you're a tool...

Kevin

There is no solution.  He got better. Now , hopefully, he continues to get better, and leads this team to some fourth quarter victories
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Sportster365

He is what he is, that should be very clear by now. He's in the Spring of his 5th year as a Razorback and still only managing to complete half of his passes in a scrimmage. I'm yet to see him throw over 10 passes and complete 80 or 90 percent of them while wearing a green jersey.

I propose starting Austin.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 09, 2015, 10:02:49 am
He is what he is, that should be very clear by now. He's in the Spring of his 5th year as a Razorback and still only managing to complete half of his passes in a scrimmage. I'm yet to see him throw of 10 passes and complete 80 or 90 percent of them wearing a green jersey.

I propose your idea is complete idiocy.  And your judging of the skills of football players is even worse.

bigdaddyhawg

I think he needs to gain confidence, and he needs to learn how to fond that mental place where QB"s need to get where focused and relaxed come together.

I think his working with Enos will help some.

But mainly I think he needs to "take the bit" and be the leader this team needs. 

He is very capable IMO.   He' got a heck of an opportunity this fall.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 09, 2015, 12:54:51 am
BUT there's 84 who have NOT had their truck burned... I'm just saying...

Does anybody know his truck was burned by an angry fan?

Serious question, because I missed it if that came out.

LZH

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 09, 2015, 10:02:49 am
He is what he is, that should be very clear by now. He's in the Spring of his 5th year as a Razorback and still only managing to complete half of his passes in a scrimmage. I'm yet to see him throw over 10 passes and complete 80 or 90 percent of them while wearing a green jersey.

I propose that you educate yourself on what a scrimmage is actually for.

BA's footwork on that rollout on the other thread's video looks like it needs a bit of work....other than that he looks fine.  He's light years ahead of where he was last spring.

Sportster365

Quote from: LZH on April 09, 2015, 10:47:57 am
I propose that you educate yourself on what a scrimmage is actually for.

BA's footwork on that rollout on the other thread's video looks like it needs a bit of work....other than that he looks fine.  He's light years ahead of where he was last spring.

Scrimmages are nothing more than glorified practices - Practice is to make perfect - Completing 50% of your passes while knowing you'll never get touched is a problem. Look scrimmages aren't just time set aside for a players to try whatever they want and see what sticks. You approach them as if they're actual gameplay scenarios.

I'm not concerned with his footwork right now... it's his accuracy and always has been.

PonderinHog

Better protection (here's to his health), better routes(strategy) and better receivers.

greenie

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 09, 2015, 11:15:24 am
Scrimmages are nothing more than glorified practices - Practice is to make perfect - Completing 50% of your passes while knowing you'll never get touched is a problem. Look scrimmages aren't just time set aside for a players to try whatever they want and see what sticks. You approach them as if they're actual gameplay scenarios.

I'm not concerned with his footwork right now... it's his accuracy and always has been.

I don't want to get into this pi**ing match about BA's completion percentage, but from my perspective, you shouldn't read too much into his completion percentage from a spring scrimmage unless you were there to see what was involved.  A "scrimmage-oriented" practice is very different from a typical practice, as well... coaches probably have different goals in this type of practice for BA, AA, RP, and TS, so they see different challenges.  Just looking at the number is, I think, short sighted.  Don't get me wrong, BA certainly has room to improve his accuracy, but you come off as being a bit too anxious to criticize. 

gawntrail

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 09, 2015, 11:15:24 am

Footwork IS accuracy.  All power and accuracy builds from the ground up. 

Throw from a 'front' heavy base and its low, back heavy is high.  Left, right, back shoulder, up and away, down to slide, etc. All comes from repetition..... Assuming mechanics are solid.  Roll out accuracy is all about hip load, timing, and touch.

QBs should do yoga.  Balance and control of your body.  Helps with mental aspect too.

wholehog92

I'm not sure a post attacking BA has been allowed to stay on the board as the OP states. 

What is allowed to stay is critiques of his ability on the field.  If he didn't want that kind of scrutiny, he likely should have avoided the SEC.  Brandon is a good young man that has represented the U of A with class.  I still haven't heard that they found the arsonist, clearly that was Nolan level bad if it was a "fan."

One thing I will say is that BA has always had the support of the coaching staff.  That's more than you can say for Mustain.  He also gets a lot of fan hate to this day.  At least people have quit making fun of Casey.

The OP is a classic post full of hyperbole and of course it gets people fired up.  Everyone hopes BA is healthy and plays well this year.  As a 5th year senior and 3rd year starter with the best RB duo in the league and one of the best OLs, he should be the best QB in the league.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be shocked if at the end of the year, the statistics actually reflected that.  That's not hating or bashing BA, that's acknowledging past performance on the field.

I've been frustrated in the past, we didn't cut bait.  It's too late for that now.  We have too much invested to throw away at this point.  The Hogs offensive pass performance is setting square on BA's shoulders for better or worse.  That is the road the coaches have taken decisively.  I hope it works as well as their other decisions have worked out.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Suidae Sus scrofa

BA has a lot to prove on the field, no doubt. A lot of the concerns (progressions, accuracy, etc.) are things that must improve for him to be considered a success. But I'm surprised by how many folks don't think he's got what it takes. daBoar gave a good summary of his improvements as a second year starter. I saw improvement throughout the year last year as well. And while AA should've won us the MO game last year (IMO), I was really impressed with BA's grit. I think he's got the guts (and I didn't always!), and I look for him to have a great season. I mean think about it....BA is a senior - 3rd year starter - on a hungry team that really established an identity at the end of last season....and nearly all of the offense is returning. A year wiser, stronger, smarter....better.

Injury risk is by far the biggest concern with BA.

LZH

Quote from: gawntrail on April 09, 2015, 12:23:48 pm
Footwork IS accuracy.  All power and accuracy builds from the ground up. 

What a crazy idea.....

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 09, 2015, 11:26:26 am
Better protection (here's to his health), better routes(strategy) and better receivers.

So his accuracy issues were 100% related to issues with teammates, none of it is on him?  Perhaps that's not what you were saying, but if you were:

That's pure baloney.  Anyone who watched the games last year saw him overthrow, underthrow open receivers in many, many key times last year, while throwing under excellent protection.

Many posters have posted they watched WR's running open frequently through the secondary while BA never looked their way.  And the OL had a very good record in re: to sacks last year.  The OL did a good job of protecting BA, contrary to many hyperbolic claims on here.

It's hypocritical to defend BA so vigorously against issues he clearly has shown in his play, then turn around and run down an entire segment of the team in the very same manner you dislike in regards to BA.

Is it because Keon, et al, are not all from Fayeteville, and hence you guys have no personal relationship with those guys?

Yes, we need improved play from our WR's, no question.  And I hope our OL provides better protection this year.  But whether or not Brandon REALLY improves his play is for the vast, vast portion on him.