Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen

Started by JIHawg, April 03, 2015, 06:34:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

My hat's off to the kid.  He was thrown into the fire before it was his time, and when the team was really bad.  He has endured a lot of crap from fans, including his truck getting messed with.  He has had four offensive coordinators in four years.

There's probably a thousand threads on Hogville bashing him.

Yet, through it all, he has shown class and poise.  He has never complained.

If there's ever been any Hog player that has earned more respect, paid more dues, I don't know who it would be.

texhog22

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: JIHawg on April 03, 2015, 06:34:45 pm
My hat's off to the kid.  He was thrown into the fire before it was his time, and when the team was really bad.  He has endured a lot of crap from fans, including his truck getting messed with.  He has had four offensive coordinators in four years.

If there's ever been any Hog player that has earned more respect, paid more dues, I don't know who it would be.

There's about 85 on scholarship at any given time that pay their dues.  Brandon hasn't done anything above and beyond.

He's having a chance to live his dream, and write himself into Razorback folklore.  I have high hopes for him this year.

But until he plays CONSISTENT winning football and LEADS this team by excellent play on the field, then he's not done anything to deserve the accolades  you want to give him.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hammer66

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 03, 2015, 07:45:38 pm
There's about 85 on scholarship at any given time that pay their dues.  Brandon hasn't done anything above and beyond.

He's having a chance to live his dream, and write himself into Razorback folklore.  I have high hopes for him this year.

But until he plays CONSISTENT winning football and LEADS this team by excellent play on the field, then he's not done anything to deserve the accolades  you want to give him.

You are 100% wrong with your post. The OP can give him any and all the credit he wants to give him. It's his credit to give just like its your right to not give him credit.
I'm with JIHawg. I believe Brandon has shown great improvement in his years here and believe he will have an incredible year this year. We will have an excellent chance to win the SEC this year because BA is our QB, IMO.

rzrbackramsfan

+1

MuskogeeHogFan

I think he is a good kid and tough, resilient. His experience is somewhat similar to that of Casey Dick, who never really had a QB coach whose hands weren't either tied or were misdirected until his Senior season. But BA has more natural talent than CD had at QB and I truly hope that this off season under the direction of Enos will help him have the best season in 2015 that he has had so far.

A college QB always looks better and performs better when he is surrounded by better talent. Conversely, they always appear to be less talented, especially when throwing the ball, when they don't have a good supporting cast.

I suspect that BA will make great strides this Fall, due in part to his maturity and experience and due in part to having more and better receivers.
Go Hogs Go!

PonderinHog

And here's to his health.

PorkSoda

Casey Dick had a similar road.  both handled it well though.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hoghevn

Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Hawgzinbowlz

A very gritty player, both through injuries and dealing with the bashing.
Being a Hog assistants son gives BA a perspective most players don't enjoy.
He closed out '14 well and the Texas Bowl MVP award was right on. Tough young man.
Some have closed their mind to the fact that he has improved every year as a Hog.
'15 should be fun to watch as BA has been through the fire and come out a better player.
Glad he's a Hog.

" GO HOGS "

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hammer66 on April 03, 2015, 07:54:16 pm
You are 100% wrong with your post. The OP can give him any and all the credit he wants to give him. It's his credit to give just like its your right to not give him credit.
I'm with JIHawg. I believe Brandon has shown great improvement in his years here and believe he will have an incredible year this year. We will have an excellent chance to win the SEC this year because BA is our QB, IMO.

I give him credit, just not extra or special credit at this point.

IMO every single Razorback on the team deserves that credit, and I don't minimize that.  Those kids make big time sacrifices to play football and be a student, and it's even more demanding under CBB.

I just don't see what Brandon has done at this point to receive what the OP is giving him.

I actually DO LIKE Brandon Allen.  I think he has the potential to lead us to a great campaign this fall.  I'm actually going to be surprised if he doesn't take a big step forward this fall.  I think the bowl game is a fore-tent of what is to come.

And when (if) that happens I'll be cheering him as loudly as anyone.  But I'll hold my special kudos until he produces up to his capabilities.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

MissippHog

I disagree.  Brandon has taken more heat than any player on the team (as do most QB's.)  From playing through a season long injury, to death threats, to getting his vehicle torched, you haven't heard a word from him. 
I don't see anyone giving him "accolades."  I do see people giving him some recognition and appreciation which are warranted IMO.
FWIW, he ranked 35th in total QBR last season, just 8 spots behind Tyler Wilson's 2012 season.  While BA isn't exactly setting the world on fire, he isn't going out there losing games for us either. 

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 04, 2015, 12:18:03 am
I give him credit, just not extra or special credit at this point.

IMO every single Razorback on the team deserves that credit, and I don't minimize that.  Those kids make big time sacrifices to play football and be a student, and it's even more demanding under CBB.

I just don't see what Brandon has done at this point to receive what the OP is giving him.

I actually DO LIKE Brandon Allen.  I think he has the potential to lead us to a great campaign this fall.  I'm actually going to be surprised if he doesn't take a big step forward this fall.  I think the bowl game is a fore-tent of what is to come.

And when (if) that happens I'll be cheering him as loudly as anyone.  But I'll hold my special kudos until he produces up to his capabilities.

Jesus...

Anybody

Can you say MVP of the Texas Bowl?  Although we beat an inferior Texas team, WE BEAT TEXAS (and Charlie Strong) !  I still have a smile on my face since the opening kickoff.

And oh by the way, as a freshman in the stands at Razorback Stadium, the 1969 game against the Longhorns still "kills" me to this day.

With the returning starters and the overall support he will have on offense, I expect Brandon to have a great year in 2015.

GO HOGS !

hog911

+1 yes, BA has handled adversity like a man. I'm very impressed with him!

hobhog

Point completely missed. incredible. -1

20hog11

Is he the best QB we've ever had? No, but I get what the OP is saying. He has had to overcome so many things (playing as a freshman vs bama, John L, injuries, hate from the fans, several different OCs) and here he is as a soon to be senior leading his hogs back to prominance. He has handled everything so well thus far, so yes I beleive the OP is right in giving credit where it is due.

Prestworthy

He's been through a lot and continues to get better.  Here's to hoping he becomes a threat this season and completes more than 60% of his passes and scrambles more when no one is open.

wpswillriseagain

I think people don't understand how spoiled we were having 4 years of ryan mallet and tyler Wilson. guys like that don't come through often + the receiving core they had around them. if you say BA has not improved please watch the lose-lose situation JLS put him in and look at him today. He went from the most hated player in Arkansas to MVP of the texas bowl. He is not and will not be an elite qb, but he can lead our huddle and be the leader of our team. He can win us games.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 03, 2015, 08:02:18 pm

I think he is a good kid and tough, resilient. His experience is somewhat similar to that of Casey Dick, who never really had a QB coach whose hands weren't either tied or were misdirected until his Senior season. But BA has more natural talent than CD had at QB and I truly hope that this off season under the direction of Enos will help him have the best season in 2015 that he has had so far.

A college QB always looks better and performs better when he is surrounded by better talent. Conversely, they always appear to be less talented, especially when throwing the ball, when they don't have a good supporting cast.

I suspect that BA will make great strides this Fall, due in part to his maturity and experience and due in part to having more and better receivers.

Believe your post summed it up very well.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

LaDecima

Casey dick.

Tusks

typical tough crowd.  say you play for the hogs but you don't have a position coach.  how well would you do.  sure someone is helping you with your reads based what's expected on this play or that play, but you don't have a real position coach to critique your foot work, your throwing motion, your hip movement.  how well would a DB perform without a position coach.

the most important position on the field is the QB.  he needs a coach.  BA now has a position coach, I think he will be night and day better.  I think he can hit a 65% completion rate, because he now has a position coach.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Dark Helmet Hog

hogsfan31

+1 to the OP

Just think what Brandon Allen would be if he had Enos from day 1?

Bielema said it best a couple of weeks ago talking about what Brandon has been through. Your first starting game as a razorback and it's getting blown out by Bama 52-0 at Bama in front of 100,000 plus...does something to your confidence.

I hope Brandon sets the SEC on fire this year.

tophawg19

Quote from: tusked on April 04, 2015, 12:07:05 pm
typical tough crowd.  say you play for the hogs but you don't have a position coach.  how well would you do.  sure someone is helping you with your reads based what's expected on this play or that play, but you don't have a real position coach to critique your foot work, your throwing motion, your hip movement.  how well would a DB perform without a position coach.

the most important position on the field is the QB.  he needs a coach.  BA now has a position coach, I think he will be night and day better.  I think he can hit a 65% completion rate, because he now has a position coach.
he has always had a position coach . Last year it was the o/c just like it will be this year . the only thing he didn't have was a qb coach on the sidelines . And i think Lunney was working with him there as well as a grad Assistant .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Augustus

Tusks

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 04, 2015, 01:38:46 pm
  he has always had a position coach . Last year it was the o/c just like it will be this year . the only thing he didn't have was a qb coach on the sidelines . And i think Lunney was working with him there as well as a grad Assistant .

not even gonna try

Mike Irwin

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 04, 2015, 01:38:46 pm
Good post. The notion that BA was coaching himself the past two seasons is laughable.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 04, 2015, 02:27:59 pm
Good post. The notion that BA was coaching himself the past two seasons is laughable.
What do you think of the new OC, Mike?  Sorry if you've already addressed this.

Mike Irwin

Today was the first time I'd seen him on the field. The QBs all looked good. Peavey has improved a lot. If there's a difference Enos ends up making over Chaney it will probably be in the development of the backups. Chaney actually spent a lot of time working with BA. Not so much with the other QBs.

Tusks

I don't think BA coached himself, I think it was worse.  I think he was poorly coached.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: tusked on April 04, 2015, 03:17:51 pm
I don't think BA coached himself, I think it was worse.  I think he was poorly coached.
Did you ever see him in a coaching situation with Chaney? I did many times. I've seen more QB coaches at Arkansas than I can count. I didn't notice anything lacking with Chaney that the others had.

There were a number of factors that affected Brandon Allen the previous two seasons. Chaney was the least of his problems.

Is Enos an improvement? I hope so. Like Bielema says, anytime an assistant leaves you'd like to upgrade. But Chaney was not the dolt some of you like to portray him as in these discussions.

HF#1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 04, 2015, 03:53:30 pm
Did you ever see him in a coaching situation with Chaney? I did many times. I've seen more QB coaches at Arkansas than I can count. I didn't notice anything lacking with Chaney that the others had.

There were a number of factors that affected Brandon Allen the previous two seasons. Chaney was the least of his problems.

Is Enos an improvement? I hope so. Like Bielema says, anytime an assistant leaves you'd like to upgrade. But Chaney was not the dolt some of you like to portray him as in these discussions.

I've heard from several people that Enos made small adjustments to Brandon's footwork that have made all the difference. Brandon has also put in the time and effort to learn what Enos is implementing.  Not that they changed a whole lot, but what they have changed, BA knows it upside down and inside out.  He's also gotten stronger.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Mike Irwin

Quote from: HF#1 on April 04, 2015, 03:56:50 pm
I've heard from several people that Enos made small adjustments to Brandon's footwork that have made all the difference. Brandon has also put in the time and effort to learn what Enos is implementing.  Not that they changed a whole lot, but what they have changed, BA knows it upside down and inside out.  He's also gotten stronger.
I have no doubt he's improved. Players should improve from year to year. I talked to both Brandon and Enos about the footwork and throwing motion changes that have been made. I hope it makes a difference. But I also know that there are people on this board that look for targets when this team doesn't win as many games as they think it should. Chaney and Allen were the targets even though those people never watched one second of them working together in a practice situation.

HF#1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 04, 2015, 04:01:39 pm
I have no doubt he's improved. Players should improve from year to year. I talked to both Brandon and Enos about the footwork and throwing motion changes that have been made. I hope it makes a difference. But I also know that there are people on this board that look for targets when this team doesn't win as many games as they think it should. Chaney and Allen were the targets even though those people never watched one second of them working together in a practice situation.

Chaney being a target I could understand.  Not because he wasn't a good coach but because his in game calls sometimes left you wondering what the hell he was thinking.  I mean, I consider myself a knowledgeable football fan and I try not to second guess coaches at all.  But I found myself second guessing Chaney two or three times a game last year.

As far as Allen is concerned, I've always thought we have our most success under the Allen bro's at QB.  I still believe that. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

sickboy

The kid had his car lit on fire and burned to the ground. Let's not act like he's dealing with the same things as those other 84.

nchogg

We have not seen the results of the players and new staff. The negatives never cease to amaze me. The coaches and players are not talking about what is going on in practice they say just enough to keep us guessing. Brandon did good last year when he was not hurt. Our current OC would not have played BA against Mizz after he was hurt with AA being healthy. Yes that is just speculation. I hope after our first SEC game many here enjoy their crow.

WayneHawg

BA is like Kyle Madden in a sense that he has given his all and never gotten any credit from the fan base. I like BA and I think he's the best option we have and I am proud he plays for the UofA

nchogg

Quote from: WayneHawg on April 04, 2015, 05:43:29 pm
BA is like Kyle Madden in a sense that he has given his all and never gotten any credit from the fan base. I like BA and I think he's the best option we have and I am proud he plays for the UofA
A+

MissippHog

Quote from: WayneHawg on April 04, 2015, 05:43:29 pm
You talking about this guy?
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kyle-Madden-68149
LOL, just messing with you.  I assume you meant Ky Madden and not Kyle.  And, I agree with you.

WayneHawg

I meant Ky , but my phone made it Kyle, didn't mean to disrespect Mr. Madden, sorry!

gawntrail

I'm looking for improvement and increased production from the whole offense. 

WOO PIG!!

bondhue

A finish the sentence game? 

Answer: Will lead the team as a fifth-year Senior with an impressive amount of big game experience.  Meanwhile, positive momentum has been on display through the last four or five games. (Except when he was playing hurt late against mizzou.)
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

Biggus Piggus

Why do some people fly off the handle when a poster dares praise Brandon Allen? Just stop yourselves before you stupid up again.
[CENSORED]!

thefisher

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 04, 2015, 09:24:08 pm
Why do some people fly off the handle when a poster dares praise Brandon Allen? Just stop yourselves before you stupid up again.

Once that train leaves the station there is no stopping it!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

bigred223

If you seriously think there is even one guy, let alone 85, on this team that has taken as much crap as BA, then you are just flat out incorrect.

Prestworthy

Quote from: bigred223 on April 04, 2015, 09:59:43 pm
If you seriously think there is even one guy, let alone 85, on this team that has taken as much crap as BA, then you are just flat out incorrect.
I don't think it's even close.  But a lot of the criticism has been warranted, if we're honest.

bphi11ips

Brandon Allen will be one of the better QB's in the SEC in 2015.  He's paid his dues quietly under difficult circumstances and now it's his time to shine. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Augustus

Mike I -

you may have talked about this somewhere else, but what you'd think about our WR's? I saw where Keon is out with bruised kneed, but Drew Morgan & Eric Hawkins stats looked pretty impressive?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Augustus on April 05, 2015, 05:10:30 pm
Mike I -

you may have talked about this somewhere else, but what you'd think about our WR's? I saw where Keon is out with bruised kneed, but Drew Morgan & Eric Hawkins stats looked pretty impressive?
Morgan tends to look good in scrimmages. He's got to take that to the field this fall.

Except for a TD catch in the spring game last year Hawkins has mostly looked lost before yesterday. Bielema said running track and having some success there has made him a better football player. He's the fastest guy on the team. Yesterday he was showing some moves, getting open and catching the ball. But he was facing the two's so who knows?
The QB's were under a lot of heat from the defense (lots of blitzing). The QBs had a combined completion rate of 71%. Not bad at all.