Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 years ago today...

Started by Deep Shoat, April 01, 2015, 04:39:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Razorback football program closer to a NC than it was before the wreck?

yes
347 (73.2%)
no
127 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 468

smb

I voted yes for all the right reasons. Program headed in right direction.
GeorgiaHOG

Peter Porker

April 1st, 2012 vs April 1st, 2015?

We are closer now than then and it's not even close.

we had just completed a Cotton Bowl winning season and were going to have to replace some great talent. unfortunately, the talent we lost wasn't replaced by equal or better talent. we were getting 2 walkons prepared to start on Tyler Wilson's blindside. Instead of Adams, Wright, Childs to throw to, Wilson would have to throw to Cobi Hamilton and a bunch of guys that shouldn't have been on an SEC contenders roster. we were trying to convert a slow, undersized DE into a MLB (which didn't work), and so we were going to be forced to play true freshmen at LB. guys can say all the 21-5 crap they want, but that was the pinnacle of the petrino era, and it was going downhill from there. he was recruiting well enough to sustain 21-5.

with that I have 2 conclusions: 1. We are closer to a national championship on April 1st, 2015 than we were on April 1st, 2012 and 2. we are much better off now than we ever were with petrino.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 01, 2015, 09:40:57 pm
Does anyone remember how high everyone on Hogville was on the new defensive staff after they shut down a powerful K-State team in that Cotton Bowl? Probably not.

I Think the program is in good shape and will be a winner long term, but for 3/4 of the folks to say the team is closer to a N/C now than it was a year after coming within a game of backing it's way into a NC game is, well, Strange.

I remember Jake and Tenarius finally being healthy and playing a 1 dimensional team that dropped about a dozen passes.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Razorfox

Simply too much of a nuanced answer required for a simple "yes" and "no".

On 1 April, 2012, we were coming off a great season when compared to 1 April, 2015 where we were coming off a decent season.  So our current ranking and level of excitement were higher in 2012 than in 2015.

That being said, I think the case could be made that trajectory wise, we are on a better trajectory in 2015 than in 2012.  I say that for several reasons:

1) Between the 2011 and 2012 seasons, we lost a HUGE portion of what made us so successful and that was the WRs and some key defenders.  And I don't care what anyone says, the replacements that were waiting in the wings were not of the same abilities or depth.  I always said that the 2012 season was an 8 or 9 win season at best even with CBP as the coach and that was due to his masterful play-calling abilities.  Our pre-season ranking was purely a result of momentum from the previous season, but we were not going to be the same team.

2) Between the 2014 and 2015 seasons, we lost three great players on the D, but the overall level of talent on the team has gotten better/deeper for next year due to some very consistent recruiting the last three years.  That being said, barring a strange rash of injuries, we should win more games next year than last. 

3) The long-term sustainability of the program is another area that I feel is better off in 2015 than it was in 2012.  CBP's X&O abilities were always going to make us a winning team year in and year out, but I'm convinced that the 10 and 11 win seasons were a flash in the pan based on a rare combination of in-state players that culminated on those teams that was only going to be reproduced occasionally.  Now, we don't know for certain that CBB will get us to a more consistent winning level yet, but recruiting and assistant coaching is better now than it was then, so we should be hopeful.

4) Image.  I know that winning is the ultimate goal, but as a peripheral issue, you have to know that the U of A's image is better off now.  Fairly or not, Petrino was always going to be vilified in the media whereas so far Bielema is a media darling. 

LRRandy

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on April 01, 2015, 10:43:05 pm
I don't agree. IMO Petrino will never have a title. So by definition, any coach with the potential to win it all, like CBB, is automatically closer.

Doesn't matter for the sake of this arguement how many wins Petrino gathered, if he has no potential to win the big ones.
IMO Bielema will never have a title. See how easy that is. Opinions are just that. Opinions. Put results on a graph see who was closer. Think about it this way. March 31, 2012 what was the excitement level regarding winning sec and playing for a National championship. Realistic. 3 days ago reasonable hog fans would sign up for better than .500 in conference and a better bowl game than last year. No thoughts of playing for it all. That would be laughable. In  March 2012 it was a valid conversation. I win.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: steefhog on April 02, 2015, 04:58:31 am
Bobby was never going to beat Nick. As a consequence, he was never gonna sniff at a Natty.

Bret was a fumble away from beating Nick in year two.

Brets philosophy is construct a sound team in every aspect. His program is healthier. His football is healthier. HE...is a better person.

this is wrong. Bielema constructs sound olines, dlines and running games. He has a history of not developing qb's (hello Missouri). Unless this changes, his history of not developing qb's will keep him and his teams forever a bridesmaid.
This is fun, isn't it.

870hogfan

Quote from: LRRandy on April 02, 2015, 07:35:07 am
this is wrong. Bielema constructs sound olines, dlines and running games. He has a history of not developing qb's (hello Missouri). Unless this changes, his history of not developing qb's will keep him and his teams forever a bridesmaid.

Lol We shall see Ohio State...

Steef

Quote from: LRRandy on April 02, 2015, 07:35:07 am

Russell Wilson says hi.

hogcard1964

Closer right now?

Someone voted yes?  Seriously?

LRRandy

Quote from: steefhog on April 02, 2015, 08:01:11 am
Russell Wilson says hi.
russell Wilson was developed at NC State. He was a rent-a-qb. He had a great year at Wisconsin but was not recruited or developed by Bielema. In fact the argument could be made that Bielema's system made Wilson regress. His senior season started out on fire and waned the longer he played for Bielema.
This is fun, isn't it.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 02, 2015, 06:19:52 am
I remember Jake and Tenarius finally being healthy and playing a 1 dimensional team that dropped about a dozen passes.

And, judging by your post above, it is revisionist history at its finest. I was at the game. The talent and size between AR and KState looked like, well the talent and size difference between AR and Alabama. I am talikng purely what happened on the field, without prejudice or emotion. You are talking about what you assumed/hoped was going to happen in the future.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

jgphillips3

I voted no, but with a caveat.  I do not believe we are closer at this moment.  However, in a year or even two years time we may well be.  As others have noted, what we are doing now looks to be sustainable and by bucking the trend of offense in football, we may look like geniuses as teams keep adapting to the spread and become vulnerable to our pounding.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: steefhog on April 02, 2015, 08:01:11 am
Russell Wilson says hi.

WOW, just wow. HDN "developed" Matt Jones too, i guess. And no I not comparing the too coaches. Just topping one uniformed statement with another, even more uniformed statement.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

870hogfan

Quote from: LRRandy on April 02, 2015, 08:25:16 am
russell Wilson was developed at NC State. He was a rent-a-qb. He had a great year at Wisconsin but was not recruited or developed by Bielema. In fact the argument could be made that Bielema's system made Wilson regress. His senior season started out on fire and waned the longer he played for Bielema.

Yet Wilson said the system helped him get to the NFL.

hogcard1964

Quote from: 870hogfan on April 02, 2015, 08:37:54 am

Yet Wilson said the system helped him get to the NFL.

He didn't develop Wilson.

hogsanity

Quote from: LRRandy on April 01, 2015, 07:29:18 pm
Voted no. 21 wins vs. 10 wins. You tell me what's closer.

Lets see what BB does in years 3&4. CBP did not win 21 games in years 1&2 either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2015, 08:41:10 am
Lets see what BB does in years 3&4. CBP did not win 21 games in years 1&2 either.

That is a good point. This question is better asked (and answered) a year from now.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

LRRandy

thats a fair point.
This is fun, isn't it.

immahog

better off yes closer to a NC ....not yet
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

jkstock04

That's a fair point. According to most of what I've read on here we should easily match and surpass those accomplishments. I'll be looking forward to it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Steef

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 02, 2015, 08:44:50 am
That is a good point. This question is better asked (and answered) a year from now.

Probably true.

But it's the off season. Something to talk about.

Quote from: immahog on April 02, 2015, 09:00:07 am
better off yes closer to a NC ....not yet

Closer...is relative.

If you believe Bobby COULD get us to a Natty...then yes, we were closer. I personally don't believe he was able. Nor do I believe he had the program built to the point of improving on what he'd already done.

So we were not close.

However, I do realize lots of folks were dazzled by 10 win seasons. That was nice. It was also almost entirely resting on Bobby's first recruiting class and the nature of the SEC-west at the time. So that last season of his, was about as good as he was ever gonna get.

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 02, 2015, 09:01:12 am
That's a fair point. According to most of what I've read on here we should easily match and surpass those accomplishments. I'll be looking forward to it.

I have no idea what the record will be. I have a pretty good idea thought, that whatever it is, BB won't screw things up by being an arrogant, self serving, narsacistic, jackass.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

tbhogfan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2015, 08:08:18 am
Closer right now?

Someone voted yes?  Seriously?
First, love your avatar.  Nobody will argue that Coach Petrino is an offensive genius, but his Achilles Heel was recruiting.  While I'm certain that we would have had some exciting offenses, I am not sure that we could have ever fielded a championship level defense.   
Go Hogs!

talley

Quote from: tbhogfan on April 02, 2015, 09:28:50 am
First, love your avatar.  Nobody will argue that Coach Petrino is an offensive genius, but his Achilles Heel was recruiting.  While I'm certain that we would have had some exciting offenses, I am not sure that we could have ever fielded a championship level defense.

although he might not have been a great recruiter, the man was a GREAT coach!  Think about where he had tyler Wilson, then where tyler Wilson was when he left...

I love how now that he is gone, people forget just how much excitement was buzzing for the upcoming season.  HECK, some of the sportswriters still had us as a top 10 team even with smiley at the beginning of the year!

To act like we are anywhere near where we were is laughable.  That doesn't take away from BB though and what he CAN do here!  You can admit that BP was a great coach and also believe that BB will be also.  You don't have to pick a side....

Pork Twain

Without a defense and a running game, we were never going to see a NC before the wreck.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HogNdazs

Quote from: talley on April 02, 2015, 09:51:14 am
although he might not have been a great recruiter, the man was a GREAT coach!  Think about where he had tyler Wilson, then where tyler Wilson was when he left...

I love how now that he is gone, people forget just how much excitement was buzzing for the upcoming season.  HECK, some of the sportswriters still had us as a top 10 team even with smiley at the beginning of the year!

To act like we are anywhere near where we were is laughable.  That doesn't take away from BB though and what he CAN do here!  You can admit that BP was a great coach and also believe that BB will be also.  You don't have to pick a side....

I completely agree with you. We were a top 10 team, even with 3* star talent. Dude was a good coach just a joke of a person. We are not where we were in football terms. You can't deny sugar bowl and cotton bowl vs a few SEC wins.

But I like BB and think he will bring good things. Def looking up.

Hogarusa

Well, the hogs arent close at all.  Even when BP left, Hogs were smoked by the 2 West powers that season.  They are currently at best 4th in line just to win their own division.  That would probably be the better question.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: smb on April 02, 2015, 06:10:31 am
I voted yes for all the right reasons. Program headed in right direction.

Glad to know you are guardian of "the truth".

Veni Sancte Spiritus

hogcard1964

Quote from: tbhogfan on April 02, 2015, 09:28:50 am

Agree

But we're nowhere near "closer" right now.

I'm optimstic that we can contend for the West this year because we've obviously improved from 2013 and I also think the prior powers - Bama, Auburn and LSU are down a bit, but we're nowhere near "closer".  Not saying we're not headed in the right direction.

hogsanity

Quote from: talley on April 02, 2015, 09:51:14 am

So, what were the scores to the Bama and LSu games in Bp's last year? What were those scores last year? 

casken

I would say absolutely...building for the long haul. In terms of Ws not yet and those seasons are difficult to maintain in SECW. However,Petrino didn't prove he could maintain. It appears we were poised for a drop off prior to motogeddon. We may never know.

I have become a real fan of BB.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: azhog10 on April 01, 2015, 04:55:05 pm
Bobby had us in the sugar bowl.....

.......as the third place team from the West...we finished third in a six-team division........just not the dizzying heights some portray it as..........

hogcard1964

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 02, 2015, 02:10:04 pm
.......as the third place team from the West...we finished third in a six-team division........just not the dizzying heights some portray it as..........

What's the highest we've finished since then?

HSVhogfan2

Actually Sugar Bowl year was number 2. Beat LSU to go. The third place team wouldn't have went to the Sugar Bowl.

2011 was a third place finish. Of course, the first and second place teams played for the NC. Yes, those were sad times indeed.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2015, 01:05:09 pm
So, what were the scores to the Bama and LSu games in Bp's last year? What were those scores last year?

Can you really sit wherever you are, and say with a straight face, that LSU and Bama were anywhere close to as good last year as they were in 2011?

Veni Sancte Spiritus

LRRandy

Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2015, 01:05:09 pm
so, how many conference games did Bielema win last year? What position and for how long was his team ranked?
This is fun, isn't it.

Gonzo

It's comical to me there are still so many folks here who are so hellbent on squashing the "other side" into submission about this.

Go Hogs!

twistitup

I'll take New Orleans for a thousand Alex
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

talley

For all those hating on bp.... You do realize his last two years here he lost a total of 5 games... All of which to were teams that at one time during the year were ranked #1.... Never lost a game he was favored in EVER while he was here... Had a .500 record against Lsu and beat sc (a top 10 team while he was here) like a red headed stepchild....

Once again you can admit the guy was a good coach and so is bb... It's okay! By admitting he was a good coach doesn't mean he was a good person, just a good coach!

The question was are we closer AT THIS MOMENT or when Petrino left.... It's not even close! When Petrino left is the only logical answer

bigbadhog

I was there too. We owned kstate and their nutt-like offense...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

bigbadhog

BB will never win [
Quote from: Pork Twain on April 02, 2015, 11:15:48 am
Without a defense and a running game, we were never going to see a NC before the wreck.
quote author=hogsanity link=topic=591152.msg9647403#msg9647403 date=1427982070]
[/quote]

K Davis led all sec running backs in rushing in 2010, remember???  BB will never have the top passing quarterback in the sec...

bigbadhog

2nd in the west tied with LSU but we beat them...  Auburn was 1st and bama was fourth with three losses that year...

870hogfan

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 02, 2015, 06:58:52 pm
BB will never win

K Davis led all sec running backs in rushing in 2010, remember???  BB will never have the top passing quarterback in the sec...

You know this how?  To bad Petrino will never have a defense like Arkansas had last year?

bigbadhog

Quote from: 870hogfan on April 02, 2015, 07:10:21 pm

You know this how?  To bad Petrino will never have a defense like Arkansas had last year?

BB will never have an petrinoesque offense...

870hogfan

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 02, 2015, 07:15:36 pm

Petrino will never field a championship style defense....

DLUXHOG

Oh, good grief.... How the fugg do you know this?  Give him a minute, and the benefit of the doubt, he may surpass Petrino's awesome offence.... (and it was awesome....)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hoghearted

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 01, 2015, 04:57:43 pm
I don't know if we are any closer to a NC.  But I believe we have a better plan for consistency, stability and long term success. 

Nicely phrased
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Gonzo

Quote from: 870hogfan on April 02, 2015, 07:18:59 pm

Petrino will never field a championship style defense....

Blind self-assurance about hypothetical futures is so cute

Go Hogs!

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 02, 2015, 02:48:39 am
No. Right now Smiley has more SEC wins to his credit than Coach B does heading into year 3 at the helm.

The question was are we closer to a NC.

I don't see how anyone can say the last two years give you more hope than back to back top 10 and top 5 finishes and be a reasonable person.
Yeah, if only BB could have played Kentucky and a 3-9 Auburn team. SMH. CBB has not had one single "gimme" game against an SEC opponent. In 2010, Petrino had Vandy and Ole Miss to beat up on. In 2011, he had Ole Miss, Vandy, and Tennessee to beat up on. In 2012, Smiley had Kentucky and and 3-9 Auburn team to beat up on.

Bielema had not had a gimme matchup in the SEC yet. The closest thing he's had to a gimme game was Florida in 2013 and that was before the wheels fell off the train at Florida.

Bielema only has 2 SEC wins, yet he pretty much had to pry them away from #20 LSU and #8 Ole Miss. What does that tell you about the level of competition that he's had to face? All but one of the SEC teams he's played so far (that's 16, by the way) have gone to a bowl game. 8 of those teams (half) have ended the season ranked.

If Bielema's 2014 team played a 2010, 2011, or 2012 Arkansas team schedule, he would have had 9 wins at least.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 01, 2015, 08:31:37 pm
no, we are not closer at the moment,  we were a win at LSU away from being in the SECCG and the the NCG and headed into the next year ranked #6 after an 11 win season. 

last year we had 2 conference wins and 7 overall.

Are we headed in the right direction?  yes, I believe so.
couldn't have said it better myself
The long Grey line will never fail our country.