Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 years ago today...

Started by Deep Shoat, April 01, 2015, 04:39:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Razorback football program closer to a NC than it was before the wreck?

yes
347 (73.2%)
no
127 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 468

Lake City Hog

Jstock, most "fans" are like jilted lovers!
When HDN came to Arkansas we just wanted to beat SMU and UNLV and he led us to some HUGE victories. But, now he was nothing but scum.
Hell, it started way before that. There are many on this very board that think Frank was horrible. Kenny? "Refused to throw the football" is a label that he will carry for life.

People here will try to tell you that BP didn't care at all about defense, yet our 2-deep defense last year was made up of:
T Flowers, D Philon, T Johnson, D Hodge, J Winston, D Wise, R Gaines, T Mitchell, A Turner, B Mitchell and B Lewis. Just almost half and that doesn't take into account the offensive holdovers.

Let something go wrong with BB and those singing his praises today will turn on him in the exact same way!

I support BB, I supported BP, I supported HDN for a long time, I supported Kenny and while he was here I supported Lou.
Out of all, he is the one guy that I dislike today more than any other. Frank handed him a team LOADED with talent and Lou took advantage of it. But, he quickly fell into being a terrible recruiter and talked down about our state.

I simply refuse to belittle the accomplishments of ANY Razorback, player or coach. And I feel a bit sorry for those who do.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lake City Hog on April 05, 2015, 10:11:51 am
When HDN came to Arkansas we just wanted to beat SMU and UNLV and he led us to some HUGE victories. But, now he was nothing but scum.
Hell, it started way before that. There are many on this very board that think Frank was horrible. Kenny? "Refused to throw the football" is a label that he will carry for life.

People here will try to tell you that BP didn't care at all about defense, yet our 2-deep defense last year was made up of:
T Flowers, D Philon, T Johnson, D Hodge, J Winston, D Wise, R Gaines, T Mitchell, A Turner, B Mitchell and B Lewis. Just almost half and that doesn't take into account the offensive holdovers.

Let something go wrong with BB and those singing his praises today will turn on him in the exact same way!

I support BB, I supported BP, I supported HDN for a long time, I supported Kenny and while he was here I supported Lou.
Out of all, he is the one guy that I dislike today more than any other. Frank handed him a team LOADED with talent and Lou took advantage of it. But, he quickly fell into being a terrible recruiter and talked down about our state.

I simply refuse to belittle the accomplishments of ANY Razorback, player or coach. And I feel a bit sorry for those who do.

And yet, you just did. That said, I didn't enjoy Lou's comments about the state, but overall, he did a pretty fair job while here, including the complete beat down of Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl with top players suspended, which everyone still loves to crow about.
Go Hogs Go!

Lake City Hog

Really, I said I don't like him and I don't. I did give him credit for taking the talent that Frank left him and winning.
BIG difference in what I said about Lou and the way that people crucify BP, HDN and to a lesser degree Kenny. You may disagree and that is fine.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 05, 2015, 09:45:58 am
I don't care about defending Bobby, I assumed him to be a jerk all the while everyone on here was spinning against the natl media trying to make him out to be a great guy. How many people on here bought and wore those "CMFBP" t-shirts? Lol dear God how pathetic. Fan bases idolize (ours in particular) these head coaches like they are Gods. It's ridiculous. It's the same exact story now with Bielema...we have him up on a pedestal like he is the best coach in all of history and can do no wrong.

What I will defend is the 2010 and 2011 seasons as being exceptional til the cows come home. Those two years were the best I have ever personally witnessed out of Razorback football. Bobby Petrino WAS the head coach of those years.

How this board constantly dismisses those years as nothing special is irritating to me. Its almost as if our fan base takes pride in losing as long as it's "the right way." If any other teams other than ourselves are winning at a high rate, then they are cheaters not doing it "the right way."

I'll say this, the next time we win 10+ games (if that ever happens again in my lifetime) I will embrace it fully realizing how special/rare of a season that is for us...and I don't care who the head coach is or how he is doing it/done it. This last time around I took it too much for granted.

+1
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

I believe we will need help from other conference teams just to win a conference championship much less a NC.  Our recruiting is not on a level with roughly 6 other conference teams.  Could they all lay a few eggs to help us within the same 2 or 3 year period??????.  I doubt it. 

We have the potential to be a very good team now just as we did with Bobby, but I never seen a NC with Bobby nor do I now with BB.

During Nutt's period of time, we were blessed with a year or 2 where a good coach could have won the SEC but we didn't have a good coach.  Winning the SEC is big leg up on winning it all.

moses_007

I guess you guys have forgotten that we were one victory away from playing for the BCS National Championship in Petrino's last year.  We finished the season ranked #5 in both polls.

Are we closer to a NC right now?  The answer is NO. 

We were much closer under Petrino, whether you liked him or not.

We have been in the SEC West cellar since CBP was fired.  You don't win championships from there.

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 05, 2015, 01:13:36 pm
+1

+1 for your +1....

Btw, I surely assume you're still keeping 'em straight up in that neck of the woods.

Steef

Quote from: Lake City Hog on April 05, 2015, 10:11:51 am

By your measuring stick...a 10 win season...HDN was also close to getting us a Natty. (And of course, that was never going to happen).

Like HDN, Bobby was never going to see 10 again, much less win a Natty, despite  Bobby being twice as good a coach. And oddly enough, for the same reason.

If, like those two men, Bret does have a fundamental flaw in his psyche that guarantees failure, it hasn't shown itself yet.

nationwish

Quote from: moses_007 on April 07, 2015, 12:15:31 am
I guess you guys have forgotten that we were one victory away from playing for the BCS National Championship in Petrino's last year.  We finished the season ranked #5 in both polls.

We have been in the SEC West cellar since CBP was fired.  You don't win championships from there.

I understand the one game away thought, but in the games that team lost, they weren't even competitive in the second half. Petrino could not put together tough teams. Despite what the rankings said, the team was better under Mallett, but the teams on the schedule the year after were weaker overall. Arkansas was trending downward whether or not Petrino was fired.

gawntrail

I say yes.

Solid on both sides of the ball with a system and philosophy that are sound.  Solid coaching and recruiting.  Very strong backing and support for the program.  Solid kids coming in to the program.  Special Teams and skill position talent upgrades as we go along and we should be in the hunt most years.

Yes we are closer to a NC....... because you have to stop people to win and you need to be able to control the clock.  Check and check.  Scoring and productivity will improve on offense with the talent upgrades and coaching.  Check and check.

Yes we are better off.  This program will be, or already is, one that can be looked at and copied for success.  Too many good things happening to see it any other way.

Substance over style would best sum up what I'm thinking.

Peter Porker

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 03, 2015, 11:45:49 am
You are correct we were preseason ranked #10, so what is our ranking today? Is it better than #10? What is your measurement that shows we are closer today then back then? Our record and rankings show we were closer then.

Now I agree I'm not sure if CBP would have ever gotten past Bama.

Yes, we were preseason ranked #10, but that was based on nothing but what happened the previous season. No team that's starting 2 walkons on the OL should be preseason #10. No team that loses Adams, Wright, Bequette, Childs, etc and doesn't replace them with equal or better talent should he ranked #10.

Besides, we know preseason rankings are meaningless. Take Florida for example in 2013. They were preseason #10 and finished 4-8. They were preseason Top 10 because the previous year they went 11-2. Sound familiar?

Just compare rosters and tell me which team is better? 2012 Razorbacks vs 2015 Razorbacks.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Quote from: wachhog on April 04, 2015, 12:03:52 am
For the umpteenth jillionth time, Bielema DID NOT develop Russell Wilson. He was developed by NC State and arrived for his GRADUATE year at Wisconsin a FINISHED PRODUCT. Bielema has never developed a quarterback.

A finished product that was transferring because he wasn't going to start at NC State...

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

870hogfan

You mean getting curb stomped by Alabama and LSU?

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: 870hogfan on April 07, 2015, 09:12:28 am

You mean getting curb stomped by Alabama and LSU?
Exactly. You can say "1 game away" if the game was close and/or you had a chance to win. But you can't say "1 game away" if you got blasted. That's not "1 game away."
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

hogcard1964

That repsonse will not be well received but you are 100% correct.

LZH

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 07, 2015, 10:01:00 am
That repsonse will not be well received but you are 100% correct.

No doubt.  If I had started selling rose-colored glasses online prior to the 2013 season, I'd be out in the Gulf chillin' on my yacht right this minute.

Buff

The argument that we were about to fall down the ranks due to Petrino's recruiting doesn't hold much water, at least not in the long run.  2013 may have been (only!) an 8-9-win season but there's no predicting what may have come afterward.  BP edited (I still have and wear the t-shirt) may have had us as NC contenders 1 or 2 times every 3-4 years, I feel that Bret is building us to the point of contending for the SEC (and with that the NC Playoff) every season. 

We're close no matter who the coach is.  Thank Bobby for building and growing a winning program and support Bret in moving to the next level.

thirrdegreetusker

Two wins away, actually. And they have to be the RIGHT two wins. In 2011 we finished third in the SEC west.

LSU.......8-0
Bama....7-1
Hogs.....6-2

If we had beaten just Bama (which BP never did here) , LSU would still be unbeaten, and would have gone to SECCG. Would we have gone to BCSCG, despite a 24 point loss to LSU? No.

IF we beat LSU (big "if", since we lost by 24, even with our defense scoring one TD for us) but still lost to Bama,  would we have the three-way tiebreaker to get to SECCG? I dunno. If we did get the tiebreaker, then we GOTTA win SECCG, else a one-loss LSU team leapfrogs us to play BCSCG.

So, "one win away"? No. Two wins, no matter how you look at it.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 03, 2015, 06:18:12 am
Sorry this is a bit flawed. At the end of that season we were ranked in the top 5. That is basically 4 spots away from an NC (#1). What was our ranking last year and how many spots away is it from #1?

The poll asks "Is the Razorback Football program closer to an NC than before the wreck?

You guys keep making the "heading in the right direction" argument as if that statement satisfies the pollster's question of being closer. We are heading in the right direction. But heading in the right direction isn't a measurement of how close you are today. Unless you think we are currently 4 spots from the #1 position.

Simple math tells you 5 is closer to #1 than whatever we were at the end of last year... Say #27.

Simple math tells us that, in 2011, we were 24 points worse than BAMA. 
Simple math tells us that, in 2014, we were 1 point worse than BAMA. 

Simple math tells us that, in 2011, we were 24 points worse than LSU. 
Simple math tells us that, in 2014, we were 17 points better than BAMA. 

swinemaster

BP's success here was directly related to Ryan Mallett and Tyler Wilson.  He obviously hasn't had a QB of that caliber since then.  Look at his results.  I do however, give him credit for getting Mallett here and developing Wilson.

The QB is SO important in the college game.  That is why the SEC hasn't won a NC in the last two years.  And also is a big reason why the conference performed so poorly in bowl games last season.  The conference is in a down turn of talent at the QB position overall.

It really is an apples to oranges comparison.  This is how I look at it.

In BP's tenure, we could beat almost anybody with scheme and coaching.  His play calling gave us a chance.  Even though our overall talent level was subpar.

In BB's tenure, we are almost to the point where we can PHYSICALLY compete on BOTH sides of the ball with anybody.  We aren't hoping to find a defensive weakness to exploit.  We are trying to dominate up front on offense and shut you down defensively.

I like this way better. 

Atlhogfan1

We were taking a step back and possibly a big one at least temporarily because of what was lost from the 2011 defense.  Players who made impactful plays that led directly to wins were no longer in the program.  The most dominant defenders in the Cotton Bowl were gone. 

Defense is where our program is at a disadvantage in the SEC.  Our state produces very little and next to nothing in the back 7.  Most other SEC states are loaded with elite defensive talent. 

The 2011 record was a bit misleading.  I thought the 2010 team was better and closer to a championship.  2011 contained a win over SC and a physically inferior K St and not much else in terms of wins.  Now the team showed grit in coming back in games but had to do so against inferior teams and at times seemed unprepared for those teams. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 01, 2015, 09:40:57 pm
for 3/4 of the folks to say the team is closer to a N/C now than it was a year after coming within a game of backing it's way into a NC game is, well, Strange. 

Quit trying to apply logic to people's responses.  You'll only drive yourself crazy.

Biggus Piggus

Wellp, Eastex, I sure like this football team better than what Petrino was lining up for us. We peaked in 2010.
[CENSORED]!

hogcard1964

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 07, 2015, 01:09:45 pm
Quit trying to apply logic to people's responses.  You'll only drive yourself crazy.

Although I don't agree, I have no problem with someone claiming we're closer now.  However, based on that, we should end up at least in the Sugar Bowl this year, correct? 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 07, 2015, 01:30:16 pm
Although I don't agree, I have no problem with someone claiming we're closer now.  However, based on that, we should end up at least in the Sugar Bowl this year, correct? 

That's not logical. The Hogs of 2012 were not headed for a BCS bowl one way or another. And the Hogs of '13 certainly would not have been.
[CENSORED]!

Gonzo

Three years later and folks, on both "sides", are still eagerly beating their heads against this apparently impenetrable wall. Their are tons of religious zealots the world over who can't hold a candle to the fanatic blind devotion to an all-or-nothing argument much of Hogville has about this non-issue. Comical, and sad

Go Hogs!

BadHog

It's been a very, very long three years. Very long. But the last 3 out of 4 games were refreshing. Good things ahead!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

hogcard1964

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 07, 2015, 02:28:05 pm
That's not logical. The Hogs of 2012 were not headed for a BCS bowl one way or another. And the Hogs of '13 certainly would not have been.

If we're "closer" to a championship right now shouldn't we be near, or actually better than where we were in 2011?  You know, Bret's 3rd year and all?  I would think we should be representing the SEC West in the SEC championship game.  ...at the very least.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 07, 2015, 02:52:15 pm
representing the SEC West in the SEC championship game.  ...

That is step one. Ford got us there, and HDN did, too. Now we gotta win one............

LZH

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 07, 2015, 01:30:16 pm

After someone made note of how we played against Bama and LSU in 2014 vs 2011, I knew you were keeping this little nugget in your back pocket to toss out at just the right time.

^^^^ Oh btw, this is just the right time.  Boom.....

Now we can sit back and see all the moonwalking and 'splainin' as to why direct comparisons aren't fair - even though they were quite fair just a few minutes ago.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 07, 2015, 02:52:15 pm
If we're "closer" to a championship right now shouldn't we be near, or actually better than where we were in 2011?  You know, Bret's 3rd year and all?  I would think we should be representing the SEC West in the SEC championship game.  ...at the very least.

But...but...but...Arkansas didn't go to a BCS bowl in 2011. Very well could be near as good or better than 2011. Very much in reach.

Arkansas's wins in 2011:

Missouri State (FCS)
New Mexico State (1-11)
Ole Miss (2-10) - 5-point nailbiter
Troy (3-9)
Tennessee (5-7)
Vanderbilt (6-7) - eked that one out by 3 points
Texas A&M (7-6)
Mississippi State (7-6)
Auburn (8-5)
Kansas State (10-3)
South Carolina (11-2)

If Arkansas plays an FCS school, four non-bowl teams, and four marginal bowl teams this season, I guarantee you the Razorbacks will finish at least as well as Petrino's last team did.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: LZH on April 07, 2015, 03:41:44 pm
After someone made note of how we played against Bama and LSU in 2014 vs 2011, I knew you were keeping this little nugget in your back pocket to toss out at just the right time.

Now we can sit back and see all the moonwalking and 'splainin' as to why direct comparisons aren't fair - even though they were quite fair just a few minutes ago.

Gosh, I blew you up without even knowing it. Extra pleasure.
[CENSORED]!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on April 07, 2015, 05:13:29 am
+1 for your +1....

Btw, I surely assume you're still keeping 'em straight up in that neck of the woods.

Keeping them straight? I just try to stay out of their way. 😃
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 07, 2015, 03:45:43 pm
But...but...but...Arkansas didn't go to a BCS bowl in 2011. Very well could be near as good or better than 2011. Very much in reach.

Arkansas's wins in 2011:

Missouri State (FCS)
New Mexico State (1-11)
Troy (3-9)
Tennessee (5-7)
Texas A&M (7-6)
Mississippi State (7-6)
Auburn (8-5)
Kansas State (10-3)
South Carolina (11-2)

If Arkansas plays an FCS school, four non-bowl teams, and four marginal bowl teams this season, I guarantee you the Razorbacks will finish at least as well as Petrino's last team did.

Don't use facts. It just confuses the BP cult.

Steef

Arkansas's wins in 2011:

Missouri State (FCS)
New Mexico State (1-11)
Troy (3-9)
Tennessee (5-7)
Texas A&M (7-6)
Mississippi State (7-6)
Auburn (8-5)
Kansas State (10-3)
South Carolina (11-2)

+1

LZH

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 07, 2015, 03:46:35 pm
Gosh, I blew you up without even knowing it. Extra pleasure.

Hey man, I'm just out of practice.

All BS aside, I'm glad BP is gone (bastard) and believe it or not I am actually starting to like BB (and am certainly pleased with what he did last year).  It's just the hippo-kritts that I like to take a shot at because no matter who our coach was in the past, 'he was totally overrated and our new coach is the sh!te'.  It's that way now, has been that way before, and will be that way again if/when BB leaves for whatever reason.

Fact is, Petrino is/was a helluva coach.  There have been/will be those who argue that BB's team performed better against Bama and LSU than BP's teams....and it's a valid argument.  But it also could be argued that the Bama and LSU teams that BB played this year were nowhere near as talented as the teams Petrino went up against during his stretch on the hill.

My point?  We can debate it one way or the other and have some fun with it (at least we're back to playing winning football).  But as to those cats who are standing on one side of the fence stomping their feet & by-God determined to convince everyone (and maybe themselves) that BB is a better coach than Petrino only 'cause he happens to be our coach at the time, they are the ones who I enjoy taking a little swing at here and there.  Because there is absolutely NO DOUBT that as soon as BB takes another gig or is fired - whichever comes first - he will immediately become a poor coach and our new savior will be the man we've truly been waiting on for years and years.

MissippHog

And that's all that really needs to be said.  CBP's schedule has been a little easier thus far.

hogcard1964

Quote from: LZH on April 07, 2015, 03:41:44 pm

Glad to assist.  It is comical nonetheless.   ;)

hoglady

It's a little early to be asking that question.
At this very moment I had to vote no.
How can a program with 2 SEC wins in 2 years be thinking about a NC?
In my mind, this is the year (on the field) that will show how much progress Coach B has or hasn't made.
If we have another 2 win SEC season are the yes answers still going to be yes answers at the end of the year?
I really believe we'll have a great year and go to a nice bowl - but I don't really know that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Peter Porker

Arkansas's wins in 2011:

Missouri State (FCS)
New Mexico State (1-11)
Troy (3-9)
Tennessee (5-7)
Texas A&M (7-6)
Mississippi State (7-6)
Auburn (8-5)
Kansas State (10-3)
South Carolina (11-2)

I've been posting these facts for years now (check post history) and was bombarded with smites. Funny. I'm a man before my time.

Peter Porker

I think people are comparing 2011 to now and that's not the OP.

Steef

Bobby had two 10 win seasons with us. One BCS bowl. He also had a BCS bowl while at Louisville. (I don't know how many 10 win seasons there).

Bret had four seasons at Wiscy that were 10 wins or better. And two BCS bowls.

Bret ain't chopped liver.

Bobbly left us in shambles. He had peaked.

Bret left Wiscy in great shape. He's a program builder. Just having him here, gives us a better chance at a Natty.

jkstock04

Quote from: LZH on April 07, 2015, 04:36:25 pm
Hey man, I'm just out of practice.

All BS aside, I'm glad BP is gone (bastard) and believe it or not I am actually starting to like BB (and am certainly pleased with what he did last year).  It's just the hippo-kritts that I like to take a shot at because no matter who our coach was in the past, 'he was totally overrated and our new coach is the sh!te'.  It's that way now, has been that way before, and will be that way again if/when BB leaves for whatever reason.

Fact is, Petrino is/was a helluva coach.  There have been/will be those who argue that BB's team performed better against Bama and LSU than BP's teams....and it's a valid argument.  But it also could be argued that the Bama and LSU teams that BB played this year were nowhere near as talented as the teams Petrino went up against during his stretch on the hill.

My point?  We can debate it one way or the other and have some fun with it (at least we're back to playing winning football).  But as to those cats who are standing on one side of the fence stomping their feet & by-God determined to convince everyone (and maybe themselves) that BB is a better coach than Petrino only 'cause he happens to be our coach at the time, they are the ones who I enjoy taking a little swing at here and there.  Because there is absolutely NO DOUBT that as soon as BB takes another gig or is fired - whichever comes first - he will immediately become a poor coach and our new savior will be the man we've truly been waiting on for years and years.
I'm thinking our fan base is more looney than most on this aspect. As long as the current coach is here Ya know he can do no wrong, he is a God. Minute he is gone? Lol watch out.

Imagine if Bielema up and left tomorrow? Would he still be looked at with the present awesomeness or would he be looked at as a guy who won 2 conference games in two years? I know 100% what the answer to this would be.

Some of the comments in this thread are mind blowing....but nothing that I haven't read before. People really fall over backwards to try and discredit those two seasons. It's something that i will never understand.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Steef

We did not trade down.

Time will tell if we traded up, but the potential is there.

Richard_white

Quote from: steefhog on April 07, 2015, 08:04:05 pm
Bobby had two 10 win seasons with us. One BCS bowl. He also had a BCS bowl while at Louisville. (I don't know how many 10 win seasons there).

Bret left Wiscy in great shape. He's a program builder. Just having him here, gives us a better chance at a Natty.

Well said. 

We have a good one taking care of our football program right now.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: steefhog on April 07, 2015, 08:04:05 pm

Steef, and your point is? All that has been said is CBP's record shows he was closer to an NC than we currently are.

That has nothing to do with the job that CBB is doing. Nor any indication of the heights that CBB will take us.

It simply is a statement that CBP took this program to a level that his predecessor couldn't. Not sure why some of you then turn the discussion into CBB is the better coach. I have not read a response saying that CBP was the better coach.

It is simply the question from the OP is poor. He asked us to compare four years against two. If we do then CBP took us higher. CBP was a jerk, but we can still enjoy the history of going to the Sugar Bowl and Cotton Bowl. Ending one season as #5 and being considered as a dark horse for the NC by the national talking heads.

Not sure how some of you (Steef you were not alone in this) want to poo poo on that. Crap on CBP as a man, but not our Hog's record. We were good - a little unbalanced in that our defense was always weak. But being a top 10 team is good for us.

I will end with this. I have always said without CBP's success here I'm not sure CBB would have come to Arkansas. CBP showed you can build a winner here. Now we have a coach who can build a winner and build these young boys into good men.

Peter Porker

Again. April 1st 2012. Look at the 2 deep and roster.
Again. April 1st 2015. Look at the 2 deep and roster.

We were closer on April 1st, 2015 than April 1st, 2012.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 08, 2015, 05:53:22 am
Steef, and your point is? All that has been said is CBP's record shows he was closer to an NC than we currently are.

That has nothing to do with the job that CBB is doing. Nor any indication of the heights that CBB will take us.

It simply is a statement that CBP took this program to a level that his predecessor couldn't. Not sure why some of you then turn the discussion into CBB is the better coach. I have not read a response saying that CBP was the better coach.

It is simply the question from the OP is poor. He asked us to compare four years against two. If we do then CBP took us higher. CBP was a jerk, but we can still enjoy the history of going to the Sugar Bowl and Cotton Bowl. Ending one season as #5 and being considered as a dark horse for the NC by the national talking heads.

Not sure how some of you (Steef you were not alone in this) want to poo poo on that. Crap on CBP as a man, but not our Hog's record. We were good - a little unbalanced in that our defense was always weak. But being a top 10 team is good for us.

I will end with this. I have always said without CBP's success here I'm not sure CBB would have come to Arkansas. CBP showed you can build a winner here. Now we have a coach who can build a winner and build these young boys into good men.

I'm not sure if Bielema came to Arkansas because of what HDN accomplished with a run first game, less than great coaching and lazy recruiting, or whether it was because BP and what he was able to accomplish with good offensive scheming and less than stellar recruiting, or was it also because of what he had seen the University do of late in terms of improved facilities and because he felt that he and Jeff Long would be a good match with each other? Maybe some of all of the above?

I agree, I enjoyed our two really good seasons with trips to higher level bowl games and I am proud of the team for having achieved those things. And, like you, I think we have the right man for the job of building this program into a level of success that is sustainable.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 08, 2015, 07:08:30 am
Again. April 1st 2012. Look at the 2 deep and roster.
Again. April 1st 2015. Look at the 2 deep and roster.

We were closer on April 1st, 2015 than April 1st, 2012.

How so?