Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 years ago today...

Started by Deep Shoat, April 01, 2015, 04:39:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Razorback football program closer to a NC than it was before the wreck?

yes
347 (73.2%)
no
127 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 468

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRRandy on April 01, 2015, 10:15:40 pm
no, not trolling and don't drink. 21 wins in two years and a ranking of as high as #3 is much closer to a national championship than 2 conference wins in two years. Lots closer.

Now, I do believe the team to be on the right track and overall better shape. But no way is the answer to the op.

We were clobbered by Bama and LSU the year we got to #3.  We were no where near a national championship.  And indications were obvious that we were peaking and on the way down, as recruiting was steadily dropping off. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 02, 2015, 06:16:47 am
April 1st, 2012 vs April 1st, 2015?

We are closer now than then and it's not even close.

we had just completed a Cotton Bowl winning season and were going to have to replace some great talent. unfortunately, the talent we lost wasn't replaced by equal or better talent. we were getting 2 walkons prepared to start on Tyler Wilson's blindside. Instead of Adams, Wright, Childs to throw to, Wilson would have to throw to Cobi Hamilton and a bunch of guys that shouldn't have been on an SEC contenders roster. we were trying to convert a slow, undersized DE into a MLB (which didn't work), and so we were going to be forced to play true freshmen at LB. guys can say all the 21-5 crap they want, but that was the pinnacle of the petrino era, and it was going downhill from there. he was recruiting well enough to sustain 21-5.

with that I have 2 conclusions: 1. We are closer to a national championship on April 1st, 2015 than we were on April 1st, 2012 and 2. we are much better off now than we ever were with petrino.

Sorry this is a bit flawed. At the end of that season we were ranked in the top 5. That is basically 4 spots away from an NC (#1). What was our ranking last year and how many spots away is it from #1?

The poll asks "Is the Razorback Football program closer to an NC than before the wreck?

You guys keep making the "heading in the right direction" argument as if that statement satisfies the pollster's question of being closer. We are heading in the right direction. But heading in the right direction isn't a measurement of how close you are today. Unless you think we are currently 4 spots from the #1 position.

Simple math tells you 5 is closer to #1 than whatever we were at the end of last year... Say #27.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Pork Twain

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 02, 2015, 06:58:52 pm
BB will never win
Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2015, 08:41:10 am
Lets see what BB does in years 3&4. CBP did not win 21 games in years 1&2 either.

K Davis led all sec running backs in rushing in 2010, remember???  BB will never have the top passing quarterback in the sec...

What did the team rank?  When has a top passing qb in the SEC won a NC?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

lahawg1

Guys, everyone is comparing BP's 3rd year to BB's 2nd year......wait till this upcoming season is completed and see where we stand for an apples to apples comparison....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lahawg1 on April 03, 2015, 07:34:25 am
Guys, everyone is comparing BP's 3rd year to BB's 2nd year......wait till this upcoming season is completed and see where we stand for an apples to apples comparison....

Even then it won't be apples to apples because the strength of opponents on the schedule will be different than it was in BP's 3rd season.
Go Hogs Go!

LRRandy

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on April 02, 2015, 10:03:11 pm
We were clobbered by Bama and LSU the year we got to #3.  We were no where near a national championship.  And indications were obvious that we were peaking and on the way down, as recruiting was steadily dropping off.
obvious in hindsight. Everyone on this board felt like the team could compete for a national title before the fiasco. No one today thinks this team will compete for a championship this year.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 03, 2015, 07:38:18 am
Even then it won't be apples to apples because the strength of opponents on the schedule will be different than it was in BP's 3rd season.
yeah but at some point you have to beat good  teams to he a champion. Not play them close. Beat them.
This is fun, isn't it.

Pork Twain

Quote from: lahawg1 on April 03, 2015, 07:34:25 am
That would be BP's 4th year.

2008    Arkansas    5–7    2–6    T–4th (West)          
2009    Arkansas    8–5    3–5    T–4th (West)
2010    Arkansas    10–3 6–2    T–2nd (West)
2011    Arkansas    11–2 6–2    3rd (West)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 03, 2015, 07:38:18 am

That is a big issue. We thought the SEC was tough back then but it just keeps getting tougher. I heard someone say the other day that TAM has the talent to win the West, yet so do 3 or 4 other teams. In BP's day if you could get by Bama and LSU you won it. Not today.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

LRRandy

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 03, 2015, 08:11:40 am
That is a big issue. We thought the SEC was tough back then but it just keeps getting tougher. I heard someone say the other day that TAM has the talent to win the West, yet so do 3 or 4 other teams. In BP's day if you could get by Bama and LSU you won it. Not today.
i don't know about tougher. I would say it is less top heavy. In BP's tenure Bama and LSU were dominate. Historically so. Now they have come back to the pack, so to say. The sec run of national championships ended 2 years ago. For two years the sec has lost all of the high profile bowl games. Now if chalk holds, with no teams ranked higher than 6 ( I know it's just preseason predictions) the sec could find itself without a team in the playoff. I would say the road for Bielema might be easier than Petrino. No world beaters in the division now.
This is fun, isn't it.

870hogfan

Quote from: LRRandy on April 03, 2015, 08:31:32 am
i don't know about tougher. I would say it is less top heavy. In BP's tenure Bama and LSU were dominate. Historically so. Now they have come back to the pack, so to say. The sec run of national championships ended 2 years ago. For two years the sec has lost all of the high profile bowl games. Now if chalk holds, with no teams ranked higher than 6 ( I know it's just preseason predictions) the sec could find itself without a team in the playoff. I would say the road for Bielema might be easier than Petrino. No world beaters in the division now.

Um no you are wrong and he is right.

Pork Twain

Wow...just wow...  SECW is tougher top to bottom than it has been at any point.

LRRandy

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 03, 2015, 08:51:08 am
Wow...just wow...  SECW is tougher top to bottom than it has been at any point.
thats my point. Top to bottom the secw is stronger than it was when Petrino coached. The top is not as "tough" as it was then. Bowl results bear that out. Current preseason predictions bear that out.
This is fun, isn't it.

Peter Porker

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 03, 2015, 06:18:12 am
Sorry this is a bit flawed. At the end of that season we were ranked in the top 5. That is basically 4 spots away from an NC (#1). What was our ranking last year and how many spots away is it from #1?

The poll asks "Is the Razorback Football program closer to an NC than before the wreck?

You guys keep making the "heading in the right direction" argument as if that statement satisfies the pollster's question of being closer. We are heading in the right direction. But heading in the right direction isn't a measurement of how close you are today. Unless you think we are currently 4 spots from the #1 position.

Simple math tells you 5 is closer to #1 than whatever we were at the end of last year... Say #27.

we ended the season #5. We were not the #5 team on April 1st, 2012.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pork Twain

Quote from: LRRandy on April 03, 2015, 09:11:45 am
thats my point. Top to bottom the secw is stronger than it was when Petrino coached. The top is not as "tough" as it was then. Bowl results bear that out. Current preseason predictions bear that out.
Actually what I said does not support your point.  I am saying Bama and LSU are still Bama and LSU but now we have Ole Miss, Miss St, aTm and Auby to worry about being ranked in the top 10.

Deep Shoat

I didn't think we had this many Bobby Buddy's left.  And no, I'm not talking about the voters.  Just those who still need to defend Bobby.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Pork Twain

ChitownHawg

April 03, 2015, 11:45:49 am #117 Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:02:22 pm by ChitownHawg
Quote from: Peter Porker on April 03, 2015, 10:15:54 am
we ended the season #5. We were not the #5 team on April 1st, 2012.

You are correct we were preseason ranked #10, so what is our ranking today? Is it better than #10? What is your measurement that shows we are closer today then back then? Our record and rankings show we were closer then.

Now I agree I'm not sure if CBP would have ever gotten past Bama.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2015, 02:21:20 pm
What's the highest we've finished since then?

We finished 3rd, or higher, SEVEN times under that moron HDN.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 02, 2015, 02:22:08 pm
Actually Sugar Bowl year was number 2. Beat LSU to go. The third place team wouldn't have went to the Sugar Bowl.

2011 was a third place finish. Of course, the first and second place teams played for the NC. Yes, those were sad times indeed.

you right
I wrong

thirrdegreetusker

April 03, 2015, 12:02:57 pm #120 Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:33:34 am by thirrdegreetusker
Quote from: talley on April 02, 2015, 06:08:16 pm
For all those hating on bp.... You do realize his last two years here he lost a total of 5 games... All of which to were teams that at one time during the year were ranked #1.... Never lost a game he was favored in EVER while he was here... Had a .500 record against Lsu and beat sc (a top 10 team while he was here) like a red headed stepchild....

Once again you can admit the guy was a good coach and so is bb... It's okay! By admitting he was a good coach doesn't mean he was a good person, just a good coach!

The question was are we closer AT THIS MOMENT or when Petrino left.... It's not even close! When Petrino left is the only logical answer

In four years at UA, BP never beat a team ranked in the top 5, not once. Had a grand total of two wins v top 10 teams.

I his last two seasons here, that moron HDN beat a #1 and a #2.

BP never beat Bama, Florida, Texas, or Kentucky.

ChitownHawg

Ok let's put it this way. You walk to school everyday and you have to pass two bullies who kick your butt. Your mom moves to a new neighborhood and now you have to pass five bullies.

Did your life just get tougher or easier?  ;)

LRRandy

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 03, 2015, 12:07:12 pm
Ok let's put it this way. You walk to school everyday and you have to pass two bullies who kick your butt. Your mom moves to a new neighborhood and now you have to pass five bullies.

Did your life just get tougher or easier?  ;)
the two bullies beat you to a bloody pulp. The 5 bullies give you a tussle and maybe a black eye. Which is worse? You have a chance now, then not so much.  You got no shot with the two bullies in the old days. Now you are a little tougher and they aren't as strong. No way all 5 bullies are as tough as when just the two ruled the walk home.

Btw. Thanks for making it easy for me to understand. :-)
This is fun, isn't it.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LRRandy on April 03, 2015, 12:28:05 pm
the two bullies beat you to a bloody pulp. The 5 bullies give you a tussle and maybe a black eye. Which is worse? You have a chance now, then not so much.  You got no shot with the two bullies in the old days. Now you are a little tougher and they aren't as strong. No way all 5 bullies are as tough as when just the two ruled the walk home.

Btw. Thanks for making it easy for me to understand. :-)

Always my pleasure to help the simple folk understand more.  ;)

LRRandy

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 03, 2015, 12:56:53 pm
Always my pleasure to help the simple folk understand more.  ;)
the world needs more people like you.
This is fun, isn't it.

hogsanity

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 03, 2015, 06:18:12 am

I say they are closer because I never thought BP had an overall plan that would have won a NC. I also thought they would have suffered a severe drop off after Childs, Wright, Adams and Hamilton were gone.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LRRandy on April 03, 2015, 01:01:29 pm
the world needs more people like you.

That is a scary thought.  ;D

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 03, 2015, 01:16:32 pm
I say they are closer because I never thought BP had an overall plan that would have won a NC. I also thought they would have suffered a severe drop off after Childs, Wright, Adams and Hamilton were gone.

You are speaking of the downfall which I agree with. The point is right before the downfall we were closer to an NC than we are today. Our record and ranking say so.

Now will CBB get us further and sustain those results? I believe he will but only time will tell.

HogWild09

Let's see...

Our NC was in 1964, so in 2012 we were 48 years away from a NC. So as long as we win one before 2063, we're closer now...
Well, ya know, that's just, like, your opinion, man..

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 02, 2015, 02:22:08 pm
Actually Sugar Bowl year was number 2. Beat LSU to go. The third place team wouldn't have went to the Sugar Bowl.

2011 was a third place finish. Of course, the first and second place teams played for the NC. Yes, those were sad times indeed.

Liberty Bowl was year 2, Sugar Bowl was year 3. Cotton Bowl year 4.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 03, 2015, 01:59:32 pm
Liberty Bowl was year 2, Sugar Bowl was year 3. Cotton Bowl year 4.

Sorry, in the words of Robert Shields again "that was bad writing on my part". I think the op said AR finished no higher than 3 in the West and I was trying to point out that the Sugar Bowl year was a second place finish.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HogWild09 on April 03, 2015, 01:42:08 pm
Let's see...

Our NC was in 1964, so in 2012 we were 48 years away from a NC. So as long as we win one before 2063, we're closer now...

Hmmm.... Interesting spin on it.  ;)

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 03, 2015, 02:02:38 pm
Sorry, in the words of Robert Shields again "that was bad writing on my part". I think the op said AR finished no higher than 3 in the West and I was trying to point out that the Sugar Bowl year was a second place finish.
Yep, you are right. We finished tied for 2nd that year.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

thirrdegreetusker

Okay. As usual I derailed to an anti-BP rant. Sorry.

To attempt respond intelligently to the OP...........

Before BP went into the ditch, I thought we were right there, able to play with anybody. I drank the Kool-Aid and went back for seconds.

Subsequent events have made me realize that recruiting had dropped off, and that BP would have not been likely to come close to 10-3 or 11-2 any time soon.

Realized 2011 was an illusion, and that we lucked out big-time to beat Vandebilt. Came damn close to losing to TAM and OM. Also came to realize that getting beat twice by 24 points (once at home) is not, in any meaningful way, "contending for the National Title". 

"Are we closer"? Probably not. We need a 10-plus win year to get on the national radar again.

But, like other posters have pointed out, we are comparing year 2 to year 4. So who knows.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 02, 2015, 08:30:47 am
WOW, just wow. HDN "developed" Matt Jones too, i guess. And no I not comparing the too coaches. Just topping one uniformed statement with another, even more uniformed statement.

You had me at too, then you lost me at too...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: LRRandy on April 03, 2015, 09:11:45 am
No, bowl results don't bear that out. In fact it supports the point that the SEC is tougher now.

In Petrino's day, an SEC team would get matched up with a team that finished similarly in their conference. For example, Arkansas in 2010 finished second in the SEC; they got matched up with Ohio State, 2nd in the Big Ten.

LSU that year finished 3rd in the SEC, they got matched up with A&M, the 3rd best team in the Big XII.

Bama finished 4th in the SEC, they got matched up with Michigan State, 3rd in the Big Ten.

Same thing in 2011. We finished 3rd in the SEC, we got matched up with K-State; 2nd in the Big XII. We also had the same record going into that bowl matchup.

Now, SEC teams are getting terrible matchups.
Auburn, a team that went 4-4 in the SEC, got matched up with Wisconsin, a team that went 7-1 in their conference and won their division, and it took OT for Wisconsin to beat Auburn. You think that proves something?

Ole Miss got 3rd in their division and got matched up with a team that an 11-1 TCU team that just missed out on the playoffs. You think the fact that TCU beat them proves something?

Hell, our matchup should have been heavily favoring Texas. We finished last in our division and got matched up with a middle-of-the-pack-in-the-Big-XII Texas Team and whupped their ass.

You can't take a team in the SEC that finished 3rd or 4th in their division, match them up with a divisional champ or conference champ from another conference, and then claim "OMG THE SEC SUCKS THEY GOT BEAT IN BOWL GAMES."
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

LRRandy

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on April 03, 2015, 07:31:13 pm
No, bowl results don't bear that out. In fact it supports the point that the SEC is tougher now.

In Petrino's day, an SEC team would get matched up with a team that finished similarly in their conference. For example, Arkansas in 2010 finished second in the SEC; they got matched up with Ohio State, 2nd in the Big Ten.

LSU that year finished 3rd in the SEC, they got matched up with A&M, the 3rd best team in the Big XII.

Bama finished 4th in the SEC, they got matched up with Michigan State, 3rd in the Big Ten.

Same thing in 2011. We finished 3rd in the SEC, we got matched up with K-State; 2nd in the Big XII. We also had the same record going into that bowl matchup.

Now, SEC teams are getting terrible matchups.
Auburn, a team that went 4-4 in the SEC, got matched up with Wisconsin, a team that went 7-1 in their conference and won their division, and it took OT for Wisconsin to beat Auburn. You think that proves something?

Ole Miss got 3rd in their division and got matched up with a team that an 11-1 TCU team that just missed out on the playoffs. You think the fact that TCU beat them proves something?

Hell, our matchup should have been heavily favoring Texas. We finished last in our division and got matched up with a middle-of-the-pack-in-the-Big-XII Texas Team and whupped their ass.

You can't take a team in the SEC that finished 3rd or 4th in their division, match them up with a divisional champ or conference champ from another conference, and then claim "OMG THE SEC SUCKS THEY GOT BEAT IN BOWL GAMES."
you puff out your chest and brag about those victories when the sec wins. Complain about matchups when you lose. The facts reman. The sec lost both BCS bowls they participate in 2 years ago. King of the sec Alabama got dispatched by a third sting quarterback in he first ever playoff that had only 1 sec participant. All top tier bowl games the sec west played in they lost. That is a two year trend that is likely to continue. The days of several spots n the top 10 poll being inhabited
By sec teams are behind us. Facts is facts. The once all powerful sec is not as dominate as it has been. 
This is fun, isn't it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on April 03, 2015, 08:03:22 pm
you puff out your chest and brag about those victories when the sec wins. Complain about matchups when you lose. The facts reman. The sec lost both BCS bowls they participate in 2 years ago. King of the sec Alabama got dispatched by a third sting quarterback in he first ever playoff that had only 1 sec participant. All top tier bowl games the sec west played in they lost. That is a two year trend that is likely to continue. The days of several spots n the top 10 poll being inhabited
By sec teams are behind us. Facts is facts. The once all powerful sec is not as dominate as it has been.

And being an Ohio State fan as you are, who would expect you to have anything but this viewpoint? Never mind the fact that Ohio State was sweating even getting into the play off to begin with because of such a weak regular season schedule.

Ohio State had a good team last year without a doubt and their "3rd team QB" was the 2nd team QB at one point, so it wasn't as if he wasn't getting snaps.

None of us know the real answer because there isn't any way to accurately compare, but I have to still wonder that if Ohio State had to traverse an SEC West schedule last year instead of a Big Ten schedule, would they have even wound up in a position to find the back door into the play offs last season? A lot of this has to do with being in the right place at the right time, and they were without a doubt. Not taking anything away from them, they stepped up and played when it counted. But I would have loved to have seen their outcome with an SEC West regular season schedule last year.

Still, because of the outcome you can boast, be prideful and bloviate about the greatness of Ohio State and the failures of SEC teams. You are just lucky that you play in the Big Ten rather than having to face a potential bowl game against a major opponent almost every week of the regular season.
Go Hogs Go!

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 03, 2015, 08:17:33 pm
And being an Ohio State fan as you are, who would expect you to have anything but this viewpoint? Never mind the fact that Ohio State was sweating even getting into the play off to begin with because of such a weak regular season schedule.

Ohio State had a good team last year without a doubt and their "3rd team QB" was the 2nd team QB at one point, so it wasn't as if he wasn't getting snaps.

None of us know the real answer because there isn't any way to accurately compare, but I have to still wonder that if Ohio State had to traverse an SEC West schedule last year instead of a Big Ten schedule, would they have even wound up in a position to find the back door into the play offs last season? A lot of this has to do with being in the right place at the right time, and they were without a doubt. Not taking anything away from them, they stepped up and played when it counted. But I would have loved to have seen their outcome with an SEC West regular season schedule last year.

Still, because of the outcome you can boast, be prideful and bloviate about the greatness of Ohio State and the failures of SEC teams. You are just lucky that you play in the Big Ten rather than having to face a potential bowl game against a major opponent almost every week of the regular season.
there is no question timing and luck have a lot to do with it. The running the sec gauntlet is a great thing to ponder. I think they would be in the mix to win more years than not. Particularly now that Bama and LSU have come down from the super human heights of 2009-2011. Look, the sec is still the best conference. They are just not head and shoulders better like they had been. The top is not as strong and other top teams around the country are taking spots in the top 10 that used to be filled by sec teams. I think it bodes well for Arkansas. I'm just stirring the pot a little and having a little fun.
This is fun, isn't it.

Steef

Quote from: LRRandy on April 03, 2015, 08:33:09 pm
there is no question timing and luck have a lot to do with it. The running the sec gauntlet is a great thing to ponder. I think they would be in the mix to win more years than not. Particularly now that Bama and LSU have come down from the super human heights of 2009-2011. Look, the sec is still the best conference. They are just not head and shoulders better like they had been. The top is not as strong and other top teams around the country are taking spots in the top 10 that used to be filled by sec teams. I think it bodes well for Arkansas. I'm just stirring the pot a little and having a little fun.

Actually, I believe we're seeing the results of the cap of 25, put on all SEC teams, by Slive. He wanted parity, but what he did was give it to schools outside the conference.

Personally, I think that's a good thing overall. But it sure wasn't SEC-centric and Slive's job was supposedly SUPPOSED to be SEC-centric.

wachhog

Quote from: steefhog on April 02, 2015, 08:01:11 am
Russell Wilson says hi.
For the umpteenth jillionth time, Bielema DID NOT develop Russell Wilson. He was developed by NC State and arrived for his GRADUATE year at Wisconsin a FINISHED PRODUCT. Bielema has never developed a quarterback.

wachhog

Quote from: talley on April 02, 2015, 09:51:14 am
although he might not have been a great recruiter, the man was a GREAT coach!  Think about where he had tyler Wilson, then where tyler Wilson was when he left...

I love how now that he is gone, people forget just how much excitement was buzzing for the upcoming season.  HECK, some of the sportswriters still had us as a top 10 team even with smiley at the beginning of the year!

To act like we are anywhere near where we were is laughable.  That doesn't take away from BB though and what he CAN do here!  You can admit that BP was a great coach and also believe that BB will be also.  You don't have to pick a side....
I don't think most Arkansas fans have forgotten, just the little cadre that posts on here.  I think the majority of Razirback fans are emulating Rip Van Winkle.

Steef

Bobby coached about like Matt Jones played QB,

When he felt like it.

Go back and watch our last game against Vandy or OM, which we won...barely and by luck...and tell me that was "genius" play calling. Or our last game against LSU, which we lost.

Asleep? No. I remember. And I'm still mad.

I think the fact that Bobby WAS a genius...and COULD have taken us to heights...but just didn't have the time or interest, is far worse than say...Crowe...who gave us everything he had, but it wasn't enough.

He was texting Sweetie...DURING games. You think the team didn't know that?
He was so arrogant at the Cotton Bowl, we were never going to be invited back.
His play calling had degenerated from genius to mediocre. Everyone remembers beating Kansas. Do you remember the last half of the game before that, when we couldn't get a first down?
His recruiting had degenerated from world beaters to...well, everyone knows what he left Bret.
He had rehired PP as OC.
He routinely lied to Jeff and as it turns out, Jeff really is a pretty good guy.
He gave his mistress a school job and she traveled to events with him.
The photo of him the world (and recruits parents) will remember, is in a neck brace. With a RAZORBACK jacket on.

No. I'm not asleep.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 03, 2015, 04:06:28 pm
You had me at too, then you lost me at too...

I forgave him for the second too, but he lost me with uniform.  ;)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on April 03, 2015, 08:33:09 pm

Otherwise known as being a "Troll".
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 04, 2015, 06:15:18 am
Otherwise known as being a "Troll".

I missed that line of his.

Good catch.

lahawg1

Quote from: wachhog on April 04, 2015, 12:03:52 am
For the umpteenth jillionth time, Bielema DID NOT develop Russell Wilson. He was developed by NC State and arrived for his GRADUATE year at Wisconsin a FINISHED PRODUCT. Bielema has never developed a quarterback.

I will never expect BB to develop a great QB, he is all over the lines and that is the OC's job. We may have the right man there now.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: steefhog on April 04, 2015, 05:51:57 am
Bobby coached about like Matt Jones played QB,

When he felt like it.

Go back and watch our last game against Vandy or OM, which we won...barely and by luck...and tell me that was "genius" play calling. Or our last game against LSU, which we lost.

Asleep? No. I remember. And I'm still mad.

I think the fact that Bobby WAS a genius...and COULD have taken us to heights...but just didn't have the time or interest, is far worse than say...Crowe...who gave us everything he had, but it wasn't enough.

He was texting Sweetie...DURING games. You think the team didn't know that?
He was so arrogant at the Cotton Bowl, we were never going to be invited back.
His play calling had degenerated from genius to mediocre. Everyone remembers beating Kansas. Do you remember the last half of the game before that, when we couldn't get a first down?
His recruiting had degenerated from world beaters to...well, everyone knows what he left Bret.
He had rehired PP as OC.
He routinely lied to Jeff and as it turns out, Jeff really is a pretty good guy.
He gave his mistress a school job and she traveled to events with him.
The photo of him the world (and recruits parents) will remember, is in a neck brace. With a RAZORBACK jacket on.

No. I'm not asleep.
Precisely. I remember those games. Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and Vandy were nail-biters and you're correct, it wasn't genius playcalling that won those games. Well, maybe a little bit with A&M. But the point is that team was a few plays away from a 7-5 regular season as opposed to a 10-2 regular season.

And of course you can make that argument for basically any team in America, but you can't make that argument about Bielema's team this past year...except in the opposite direction. Of the opponents we did beat this past year, we absolutely squashed them. Texas Tech, LSU, Ole Miss, and Texas were all blowout wins. We went into OT against A&M, had a blocked PAT against Bama, were in the red zone at the end of the game with Mississippi State, and could have pulled it out at Mizzou if not for a BS fumble call. So it's almost precisely the opposite...Bielema's team was a few plays away from being 10-2 as opposed to 6-6.

Now of course we're going to have to see how things play out in the upcoming seasons. But this notion that Petrino had his last team playing lights-out football and we were a few plays away from a national championship is false. For one, they got smeared by Bama and LSU...they were going to lose those games 49/50 times. Two, there was a huge talent drop-off after that season. The main weapon was the passing game and you went from 4 great receivers to 1 great receiver.

And maybe I'm wrong. If you look at that team's depth chart, there were juniors and seniors everywhere, particularly on defense. But I really don't think that team was going to win an SEC championship as many on hogville claimed...and I was one of those hogville homers. But just because hogville says it does not mean it's true. And if what Mike Irwin says is true (and it probably is), the team completely lost respect for Petrino after his affair was made public so the point is moot anyway. Petrino dug his own grave.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

secfan30

Quote from: LRRandy on April 01, 2015, 07:29:18 pm
Voted no. 21 wins vs. 10 wins. You tell me what's closer.

CBP first 2 years, he had 13 wins...

jkstock04

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 03, 2015, 10:55:40 am
I didn't think we had this many Bobby Buddy's left.  And no, I'm not talking about the voters.  Just those who still need to defend Bobby.
I don't care about defending Bobby, I assumed him to be a jerk all the while everyone on here was spinning against the natl media trying to make him out to be a great guy. How many people on here bought and wore those "CMFBP" t-shirts? Lol dear God how pathetic. Fan bases idolize (ours in particular) these head coaches like they are Gods. It's ridiculous. It's the same exact story now with Bielema...we have him up on a pedestal like he is the best coach in all of history and can do no wrong.

What I will defend is the 2010 and 2011 seasons as being exceptional til the cows come home. Those two years were the best I have ever personally witnessed out of Razorback football. Bobby Petrino WAS the head coach of those years.

How this board constantly dismisses those years as nothing special is irritating to me. Its almost as if our fan base takes pride in losing as long as it's "the right way." If any other teams other than ourselves are winning at a high rate, then they are cheaters not doing it "the right way."

I'll say this, the next time we win 10+ games (if that ever happens again in my lifetime) I will embrace it fully realizing how special/rare of a season that is for us...and I don't care who the head coach is or how he is doing it/done it. This last time around I took it too much for granted.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys