Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 years ago today...

Started by Deep Shoat, April 01, 2015, 04:39:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Razorback football program closer to a NC than it was before the wreck?

yes
347 (73.2%)
no
127 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 468

Deep Shoat

The Hog football world came tumbling down into a ditch.

Are we better off today?
All Gas, No Brakes!

azhog10

I said no......wish there would have been a no but we are close. Bobby had us in the sugar bowl. We can all hypothesize what would have happened. You just don't really know.

Ā 

Atlhogfan1

I don't know if we are any closer to a NC.  But I believe we have a better plan for consistency, stability and long term success. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

I say yes we are closer.

Anyone get a glimpse of the defensive recruiting back then? Yikes!

lahawg1

Are we better off today, hhhmmmmmm
1) No embarrassing moments with the head coach pointing and yelling FUMF across the field
2) We actually have a defense we can rely on
3) Our off season arrest are down
4) Our players are acting with class and know they are expected to act with class
5) We don't have a stud QB....yet
6) We don't have 3 studs receiving.....yet
7) We do have the hottest coach's wife in the SEC
8) We do have much more positive press now

Don't get me wrong, BP did do good things for our school but I think we are light years better off now than when he was terminated.

If we make a major bowl this year and have 10 or more wins then this conversation is over.

Steef

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

I voted yes and neither the wreck, thuggery, CBP's rep or anything non scheme had any impact on my thought process...

We had mondo offensive talent, but it was in need of rebuilding; not reloading. Our defense was getting better, but no where near good enough to get us over the Bama hump.
The offensive and defensive lines were not ever going to be on the same level they are now. Add to all of that the kicker of what CBB is going to put into the NFL this year vs CBP...
We are so close with the addition of Enos that is is going to scare some of you this year, and possibly piss some of you off when we stumble early in the year and come close to the playoff this year, but just miss it...

What gives us the major advantage is the off field issues and type of recruit we are after adds stability and will make CBB's teams re-loader's and not rebuilding projects every 3 years, and I didn't even consider that in my decision...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

RAD

In a "snapshot" sense, we were in a better place 3 years ago.

Knowing what we've learned since then and seeing the big picture, we are better off today.

LRRandy

Voted no. 21 wins vs. 10 wins. You tell me what's closer.
This is fun, isn't it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRRandy on April 01, 2015, 07:29:18 pm

You're usually an intelligent poster.  I'll assume you're just trolling here and drunk posting.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

870hogfan

Nashville Fan

Yes; But, I would argue no BP, AR would  in no way get BB... For many reasons.
Pittman or Bust!

Phil D

Yes we are better off and it is only going to get better. :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Ā 

Phil D

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢ on April 01, 2015, 05:34:34 pm
I voted yes and neither the wreck, thuggery, CBP's rep or anything non scheme had any impact on my thought process...

We had mondo offensive talent, but it was in need of rebuilding; not reloading. Our defense was getting better, but no where near good enough to get us over the Bama hump.
The offensive and defensive lines were not ever going to be on the same level they are now. Add to all of that the kicker of what CBB is going to put into the NFL this year vs CBP...
We are so close with the addition of Enos that is is going to scare some of you this year, and possibly piss some of you off when we stumble early in the year and come close to the playoff this year, but just miss it...

What gives us the major advantage is the off field issues and type of recruit we are after adds stability and will make CBB's teams re-loader's and not rebuilding projects every 3 years, and I didn't even consider that in my decision...

couldn't have said it better myself.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

lumphog

PorkSoda

no, we are not closer at the moment,  we were a win at LSU away from being in the SECCG and the the NCG and headed into the next year ranked #6 after an 11 win season. 

last year we had 2 conference wins and 7 overall.

Are we headed in the right direction?  yes, I believe so.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ā€• Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." ā€“ Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bigbadhog

No - 21 wins in two seasons equals contender.  2 sec wins in two years equals long long long way to go...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

BDSCT51

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 01, 2015, 08:31:37 pm
no, we are not closer at the moment,  we were a win at LSU away from being in the SECCG and the the NCG and headed into the next year ranked #6 after an 11 win season. 

last year we had 2 conference wins and 7 overall.

Are we headed in the right direction?  yes, I believe so.

I'm in this camp as well. I truly believe we are on the verge of something special with Coach B and staff. The ship has a STRONG moral compass guiding it and it is a joy to be a Hog fan again! Even these deluded Jawja fans are talking respectfully of the Piggies and what's happening.
Bleeding Razorback Red

Jek Tono Porkins

Yes.
Petrino had the hogs in a good place but his playcalling and scheming wrote checks his recruiting couldn't cash. He wasn't recruiting well at all. It was in the back of our minds but we thought "eh, he'll pull some magic out of his ass and we'll be fine." There was no way he was going to maintain the level of success he established in 2010 and 2011.
Plus, the perception of the program is much better. Petrino was a slimeball, but he was our slimeball and we loved him. Bielema has people that don't like him but generally is much more respected than Petrino.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

cosmodrum

Quote from: LRRandy on April 01, 2015, 07:29:18 pm

Bobby's cherry pie face vs where we are today are light years different, most def.
Go away, batin'

root_hawg

I don't think we were that close either way and before you say we were #5; we were still number 3 in the SEC West

ChitownHawg

The poll asks are we closer to an NC, yet the OP then states better off.

Closer to an NC - no
Better off - yes

Two completely different points.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MissippHog

Regardless of the 21 wins over two seasons, we were no closer to the NCG then as opposed to now.

NCG teams don't lose to Bama and LSU by a combined total of 51 points. 

One could argue that we are just as close now as we were then.  If I recall, last season there was a Vegas book that said if the Hogs and Noles were to face off on a neutral field, the Noles would have been a 3-5 point favorite. 

PaintballHog

If you look at it just as wins, then no.

But that's illogical.

The foundation and culture thats being set will pay great dividends going forward. BP system was very shakey and nonsustainable.

Ā 

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 01, 2015, 05:01:33 pm
I say yes we are closer.

Anyone get a glimpse of the defensive recruiting back then? Yikes!

Does anyone remember how high everyone on Hogville was on the new defensive staff after they shut down a powerful K-State team in that Cotton Bowl? Probably not.

I Think the program is in good shape and will be a winner long term, but for 3/4 of the folks to say the team is closer to a N/C now than it was a year after coming within a game of backing it's way into a NC game is, well, Strange. 
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Thepigdoctor

Paper tigers didn't win national championships in the BCS era, nor will they ever in the playoff era. Petrino's teams have always been paper tigers. We saw what happened at Louisville and to us when he's gone, everything is ripped to shreds easily. For that reason, I voted yes, because our current team is built with a foundation. A foundation where all great footballs teams are built from, the offensive and defensively lines. If you dominate those two areas of the game, you're going to have more success than failure. I for one am thrilled with our current state and believe CBB has built something honest here that could last even if he left. His loss would not be felt so painfully in the following years because he'd have left a solid foundation, which was something Petrino never had. It was just one man's dementedly brilliant offensive mind pulling the strings.

GTOWNHOG

Petrino was an underperformer in big games.  He NEVER beat Alabama.  In his most significant game against LSU, we were blown out and he embarrassed the University by cursing at Les Miles.  Good riddance.  He's a JERK.
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 01, 2015, 09:40:57 pm
Does anyone remember how high everyone on Hogville was on the new defensive staff after they shut down a powerful K-State team in that Cotton Bowl? Probably not.

I Think the program is in good shape and will be a winner long term, but for 3/4 of the folks to say the team is closer to a N/C now than it was a year after coming within a game of backing it's way into a NC game is, well, Strange. 

WE haven't won a National Championship in 51 years..... Let's just concentrate on winning an SEC Championship (which we have never won in 23 years in the SEC)....  THAT'S the difference....  WE have a Coach that sets realistic goals, and I will say that he will lead us to our FIRST SEC Championship...
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

3kgthog

Remove your hate for BP and vote again. We aren't making a Sugar Bowl or other former BCS bowl anytime soon.

Victom

I voted yes . "Spit" Bobby Petrino "Spit" didn't and couldn't beat Saban and his tide.
Beliema came closer last year then we've been in a long time . In order to get to the National Championship we'll have to beat em .

LRRandy

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on April 01, 2015, 07:37:45 pm
You're usually an intelligent poster.  I'll assume you're just trolling here and drunk posting.
no, not trolling and don't drink. 21 wins in two years and a ranking of as high as #3 is much closer to a national championship than 2 conference wins in two years. Lots closer.

Now, I do believe the team to be on the right track and overall better shape. But no way is the answer to the op.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: Victom on April 01, 2015, 10:14:22 pm
I voted yes . "Spit" Bobby Petrino "Spit" didn't and couldn't beat Saban and his tide.
Beliema came closer last year then we've been in a long time . In order to get to the National Championship we'll have to beat em .
still didn't beat them.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 01, 2015, 10:08:20 pm
Remove your hate for BP and vote again. We aren't making a Sugar Bowl or other former BCS bowl anytime soon.
+1. My point of view as well.
This is fun, isn't it.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 01, 2015, 04:57:43 pm
I don't know if we are any closer to a NC.  But I believe we have a better plan for consistency, stability and long term success. 
Well said.  Completely agree. 

Vantage 8 dude

Well while we're on the subject of years ago....it was 20 years ago today when Sgt. Peppers taught the band to play. Sorry, but I just couldn't resist... 8) :D ;) :)

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on April 01, 2015, 10:00:56 pm
Petrino was an underperformer in big games.  He NEVER beat Alabama.  In his most significant game against LSU, we were blown out and he embarrassed the University by cursing at Les Miles.  Good riddance.  He's a JERK.

We're you at the LR LSU game with the Sugar bowl on the line? That was the biggest win since AR joined the SEC. The win over media darling KState in the Cotton Bowl was also huge in that it made a VERY good point that AR was the 3rd best team in the nation, right where it was before the LSU game that year. Nobody else in 2011 beat Bama or LSU either.

The only 2 misses in the field for Petrino were the 2010 second half Bama collapse and having them so tight in the Sugar Bowl that they looked like crap in the first half.

About The only thing he didn't miss on off the field was his coaches show. Only coaches show I've ever watched.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: LRRandy on April 01, 2015, 10:17:57 pm
+1. My point of view as well.
I guess if W's are are you care about ...

talley

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on April 01, 2015, 10:00:56 pm

You're an idiot... In his last two years as coach Bp lost 5 games total. All of which were to tes that at one time were ranked number 1 during that year! That Bama and Lsu team he lost to the last year he coached were also the two best cfb teams in the last 10 years... The man beat multiple top ten teams and never I repeat NEVER lost a game he was favored in... Literally never!

I'm happy we have beliema and think he will get it done here, but to act like Petrino was anything but a great coach is ridiculous!

LRRandy

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on April 01, 2015, 10:34:06 pm
I guess if W's are are you care about ...
i think the W's are going to come. At this point though Petrino was closer than Bielema. Not even close.
This is fun, isn't it.

BearsBisonsBoars

I voted yes. And then re-read it and realized it said NC, rather than Bo's question "Are we better off"

And the answer is still yes. Petrino will never win a NC. He just doesn't bring a complete enough game. No emphasis on defense and an unsustainable recruiting program. He's a flash in the pan and that's why he never stays put longer than a few years.

Something always felt off during Petrino's tenure. Scandal aside, I'm glad he's gone.  :razorback:

jkstock04

Closer to a national championship? Nope, not even in the same atmosphere close. We were ranked in the top 10 on a normal basis. We were one win (LSU) away from going to the SEC championship game.

"Better off" long term? Yet to be seen. Hope so. I have my doubts, gonna be tough to top or match seasons like 2010 or 2011. Of course everyone's definition of "better off" are different. The main thing I look at is wins and losses, I realize now I'm in the minority with that line of thinking.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: LRRandy on April 01, 2015, 10:39:26 pm
i think the W's are going to come. At this point though Petrino was closer than Bielema. Not even close.
I don't agree. IMO Petrino will never have a title. So by definition, any coach with the potential to win it all, like CBB, is automatically closer.

Doesn't matter for the sake of this arguement how many wins Petrino gathered, if he has no potential to win the big ones.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 01, 2015, 04:57:43 pm
I voted no, but I concur with ATLhogs thoughts also.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on April 01, 2015, 10:40:03 pm
I voted yes. And then re-read it and realized it said NC, rather than Bo's question "Are we better off"

And the answer is still yes. Petrino will never win a NC. He just doesn't bring a complete enough game. No emphasis on defense and an unsustainable recruiting program. He's a flash in the pan and that's why he never stays put longer than a few years.

Something always felt off during Petrino's tenure. Scandal aside, I'm glad he's gone.  :razorback:

Yeah, the defense.  I thought maybe it was a slip of the tongue the first time he referred to the offense as "us" and the defense as "them" when he referred to practice, but then when it happened routinely...I knew there was a deeper issue. 

We were as good as we were going to get under BP.  I'm convinced of that.  I will also say that if people are saying we're closer now to a NC than we were with BP, then I don't get that.  So far, he hasn't proven he can get to where BP had the UA, which was just under NC caliber, despite having a sub par defense.  I still contend that a BIG part of that was the influx of in state talent that was abnormal for Arkansas, and with his recruiting ability there was nowhere to go but down, and we were already starting to see that play out.  That argument is for a different day. 

I think long term, if Iowa doesn't come calling with a truckload of money, or possibly one of the absolutely powerhouses, I think our long term prospects are MUCH better for a NC.  But to say we're closer now, today,...not so sure.  Still something to prove, and I'm a big CBB fan and think he's building this thing the right way.  I WANT him to succeed at the highest level.       
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

opineonswine

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 01, 2015, 09:40:57 pm

Not everyone. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

WarPig88

No. Right now Smiley has more SEC wins to his credit than Coach B does heading into year 3 at the helm.

The question was are we closer to a NC.

I don't see how anyone can say the last two years give you more hope than back to back top 10 and top 5 finishes and be a reasonable person.

Steef

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 02, 2015, 02:48:39 am
No. Right now Smiley has more SEC wins to his credit than Coach B does heading into year 3 at the helm.

The question was are we closer to a NC.

I don't see how anyone can say the last two years give you more hope than back to back top 10 and top 5 finishes and be a reasonable person.

Bobby was never going to beat Nick. As a consequence, he was never gonna sniff at a Natty.

Bret was a fumble away from beating Nick in year two.

Bobby's entire philosophy was built on a quick strike offense, with a hot QB and dangerous receivers. He had that in Mallet & Co, but didn't have the same talent BEHIND Mallet & Co. on the bench. After the wreck, we were facing lean years. 10 wins was over.

And recruiting would have gotten worse, with the fallout from Bobby's PR.

In every respect, Bobby was over.

Brets philosophy is construct a sound team in every aspect. His program is healthier. His football is healthier. HE...is a better person.

Bret may never win a Natty. But....he might.

Bobby never would.

twistitup

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 01, 2015, 09:07:35 pm
The poll asks are we closer to an NC, yet the OP then states better off.

Closer to an NC - no
Better off - yes

Two completely different points.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

1highhog

Quote from: lahawg1 on April 01, 2015, 05:15:50 pm
Are we better off today, hhhmmmmmm
1) No embarrassing moments with the head coach pointing and yelling FUMF across the field
2) We actually have a defense we can rely on
3) Our off season arrest are down
4) Our players are acting with class and know they are expected to act with class
5) We don't have a stud QB....yet
6) We don't have 3 studs receiving.....yet
7) We do have the hottest coach's wife in the SEC
8) We do have much more positive press now

Don't get me wrong, BP did do good things for our school but I think we are light years better off now than when he was terminated.

If we make a major bowl this year and have 10 or more wins then this conversation is over.

We have stud QB's on Campus, we have two stud starting SEC tailbacks, we have two stud TE's that will probably end up in the NFL, a true OLine, and get this, hold your breath,,,,,, A DEFENSE!  So as you said, we're ahead of where we ever were with Petrino.   Even before this coming season starts, we're already light years ahead of anything Petrino done while he was here.  This team is built for long term success, no quick bandaid fixes here.  Last year in CBB's 2nd Season we went 7-6, with the what many deemed the toughest schedule at the start of the schedule.  We will have another tough schedule this season, these are not like the schedules Petrino played, our non conference schedule has drastically improved while the SEC has improved as well, especially with adding two more teams.  I myself am not expecting a National Championship, although I'd love to see another in my lifetime so I could say I at least lived to see us win two.  But if CBB hangs around, I think we'll see consistency and maybe a few SEC Championships down the road.