Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horrible News

Started by Peter Porker, March 30, 2015, 11:59:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Porker

Quote from: dhizzle on March 30, 2015, 02:01:52 pm
I really don't know how the Buzz has been on for so long. They must be doing something right. I will miss the show as I listen Monday through Friday while doing my routes. Mike Irwin you're the best because you bring the truth and don't care if it hurts someones politically correct feelings.

Most of the folks I talk to never knew there was an alternative.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

FreshHog

Well that sucks... now what do I listen to for my 3 hour break between classes...  :puke:

Mike Irwin

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 30, 2015, 03:28:49 pm
I hate to hear this but not as much as Gentle Ben, his daily routine just got cut in half.
Gentle Ben does not have functioning lungs. He takes in oxygen by osmosis through his skin. Because of this he does not have to take a breath when he's speaking. He is....the human sentence. A very loooooooooooooooooong sentence.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2015, 03:48:52 pm
Gentle Ben does not have functioning lungs. He takes in oxygen by osmosis through his skin. Because of this he does not have to take a breath when he's speaking. He is....the human sentence. A very loooooooooooooooooong sentence.
Mike, are you trying to tell us that "Gentle Ben" is the 'canary in the coal mine' ? When the "gentle one" must stop and take in a breath, oxygen levels in the atmosphere are getting dangerously low ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Danny J

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2015, 01:26:31 pm
Radio is a chaotic business. You never know what is going to happen next. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up somewhere, just not sure of the specifics.

I did Press Row with about six different hosts from 2000-2007. I did Shawn & Wally from 2009-2012 and Game On from 2012 through tomorrow.

I enjoyed them all but the noon time slot was much better for me and working with Wess & Michael Smith was great fun. Michael is a storehouse of information plus we did the show from his house the last several months. You never knew who was going to be sleeping on his couch. NFL players, ex Razorbacks, various girlfriends and ex girlfriends of NFL players and ex Razorbacks.

Michael himself never seemed to have to buy his own lunch. Different girls would show up at noon, hand him his lunch and be gone. What a life that guy leads.
When I lived in NWA I remember you being on a show but I think it started with Bo...then he left for whatever reason then remember you taking it over along with Grant Hall. I don't remember the specifics but it was in the late 90's early 00's. You and Grant were absolutely hilarious together. To this day the best Arkansas Sports Radio duo I have heard.

Wayne Watson

+1
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

hoglady

Quote from: Wildhog on March 30, 2015, 12:52:43 pm
Oh, good...  Christian rock.  Guess I can take 93.3 off my programmed stations, now.

Man - that's no kidding.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hoggish1

You are a day early LOL

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Danny J on March 30, 2015, 04:55:00 pm
When I lived in NWA I remember you being on a show but I think it started with Bo...then he left for whatever reason then remember you taking it over along with Grant Hall. I don't remember the specifics but it was in the late 90's early 00's. You and Grant were absolutely hilarious together. To this day the best Arkansas Sports Radio duo I have heard.
Mike Nail did the show in the late 90's. I don't remember what it was called. I started filling in for him when he did away basketball games. The el cheapo TV people I worked for did not give me a travel budget.

Nail quit and for a while it was a three-man rotation. One day it was Rick Schaeffer & Grant Hall. The next day it would be Schaeffer and me. Then it was Hall and me.

Rick left to do Drive Time and Shawn Arnell came in. Grant left because of a money dispute and it was Arnell and me. Then Arnell was named the station manager and Bo and I did the show.

Bo had his little incident with the Farmington cops and it was back to Arnell and me. Arnell left for Memphis and I did the show with Mike Olmstead. He left for Tulsa and Bo came back.

Bo then left to work for KNWA and started the Razorback Nation TV brand. I did the show with Grant until I was told to get off radio in 2007 by my TV boss who was scared of Nutt's posse.

Confusing huh?

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2015, 05:52:31 pm
Mike Nail did the show in the late 90's. I don't remember what it was called. I started filling in for him when he did away basketball games. The el cheapo TV people I worked for did not give me a travel budget.

Nail quit and for a while it was a three-man rotation. One day it was Rick Schaeffer & Grant Hall. The next day it would be Schaeffer and me. Then it was Hall and me.

Rick left to do Drive Time and Shawn Arnell came in. Grant left because of a money dispute and it was Arnell and me. Then Arnell was named the station manager and Bo and I did the show.

Bo had his little incident with the Farmington cops and it was back to Arnell and me. Arnell left for Memphis and I did the show with Mike Olmstead. He left for Tulsa and Bo came back.

Bo then left to work for KNWA and started the Razorback Nation TV brand. I did the show with Grant until I was told to get off radio in 2007 by my TV boss who was scared of Nutt's posse.

Confusing huh?

Wow, that's more convoluted than Russell Crowe's backyard shed in "A Beautiful Mind".

Torqued pork

Christian rock. I hope it goes broke for sins against music.

Danny J

Confusing huh?
Yeah...had a hard time remembering. I just remember that you and Hall were radio gold. You guys kept me rolling.

OLDHOG

DANG! I'm gonna miss it.

cosmodrum

The funniest thing that ever happened on Game On was when Gentle Ben took what seemed to be a week to finally get around to his question, his call dropped.

Go away, batin'

Buck Brewer

Confusing huh?

What happened with Game On up here Fayetteville, now I get a walk on and Jenkins. Major downgrade.

hoginla

Quote from: RedRock on March 30, 2015, 01:41:09 pm
Internet radio is eventually going to kill traditional radio. 

Get the tune in radio app.  You can listen to Bo in the afternoon and Craft in the morning.

have tune in.  where do i find bo?
September 8, 2023 19 years w/Hogville!

hoginla

and who do i listen to during the lunch hour? 
September 8, 2023 19 years w/Hogville!

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: hoginla on March 30, 2015, 09:45:38 pm
have tune in.  where do i find bo?
ESPN radio, 104.3 Marshall/Harrison

Quote from: hoginla on March 30, 2015, 09:46:42 pm
and who do i listen to during the lunch hour? 
I have no friggin clue, man. Let me know if you find something worth listening to.

Doug

Quote from: Fort Dweller"Relax and listen to the mellow sounds of The Rain on KPPX."
Ian The Shark is proud of ya. ::chuckles::
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

theFlyingHog

Let me know where Bo goes so I keep that station off the top six

lechon

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2015, 01:26:31 pm
Radio is a chaotic business. You never know what is going to happen next. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up somewhere, just not sure of the specifics.

I did Press Row with about six different hosts from 2000-2007. I did Shawn & Wally from 2009-2012 and Game On from 2012 through tomorrow.

I enjoyed them all but the noon time slot was much better for me and working with Wess & Michael Smith was great fun. Michael is a storehouse of information plus we did the show from his house the last several months. You never knew who was going to be sleeping on his couch. NFL players, ex Razorbacks, various girlfriends and ex girlfriends of NFL players and ex Razorbacks.

Michael himself never seemed to have to buy his own lunch. Different girls would show up at noon, hand him his lunch and be gone. What a life that guy leads.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

Foshodo

Michael Smith is very good at radio. hopefully he catches on somewhere quickly... if he wants to continue of course

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 30, 2015, 12:24:51 pm
XM, it's the cool new technology that doesn't take calls from FCJ, Mike from Stuttgart, or Gentle Ben. ;)
Now that's funny!!!

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Wildhog on March 30, 2015, 12:02:54 pm
This IS horrible news.  I can't go back to the Buzz.  I just can't do it.
Well then, listen to ESPN radio and hope we become nationally relevant this football season.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

B501

Quote from: Torqued pork on March 30, 2015, 05:58:12 pm

blasphemer!  :P

DeltaBoy

I will just stream 96.3 Hog Sports Radio till I here where Mike Smith, and the crew lands.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Porcius Magnus

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 30, 2015, 12:24:51 pm
XM, it's the cool new technology that doesn't take calls from FCJ, Mike from Stuttgart, or Gentle Ben. ;)
Amen to that.  First Team in the morning on College Sports 91 is really great on the drive in.

TexasRazorback

Thank god 93.3 down in Texas is an awful christian rock station

Wildhog

Quote from: PORKULATOR on March 31, 2015, 07:28:11 am
Well then, listen to ESPN radio and hope we become nationally relevant this football season.

Nah.  I'll listen to 96.3 in the morning.  Don't pick it up perfectly, but it's still better than anything on 103.7.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorPiggie

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on March 30, 2015, 01:03:21 pm
Heard this today and was really disappointed. Hopefully Game On can move to the Buzz, absorbing Pat Bradley.  Would love to see Bo on in Central Arkansas as well.

I long ago stopped listening to Drive Time and whatever the morning show is.  Every other caller to DTS asks who Randy thinks will be the QB for the Razorbacks every single year, while the morning show is basically:  80/90's Razorback reference, nipples, nipples, [80's hair band snippet], random Frank Fletcher ad, [farting noise], repeat.

I know Mike posts here but geez I can't listen to that show, they drive me nuts.

Wildhog

Just let me know where Bo goes.  That's where I'll be tuned in.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Torqued pork on March 30, 2015, 05:58:12 pm

My favorite type of Christian music............however I'm biased as I have a cousin that is in the Colton Dixon band.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SECisKing

What up, guys? Just wanted to pay my respect to the best show on radio, PERIOD! I don't know what to do with myself from 12-3 eastern time. Game On has been the soundtrack to my midday for a long time!

I'll be appearing on the show in about 10 mins, btw (11:30 Ark time). Check out the latest episode of Ball Hawg with recruiting expert Pat Jenkins talking about impact freshmen...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ball-hawg-podcast/id975078933?mt+2
SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

SONofHAM

Quote from: SECisKing on March 31, 2015, 11:22:37 am
What up, guys? Just wanted to pay my respect to the best show on radio, PERIOD! I don't know what to do with myself from 12-3 eastern time. Game On has been the soundtrack to my midday for a long time!

I'll be appearing on the show in about 10 mins, btw (11:30 Ark time). Check out the latest episode of Ball Hawg with recruiting expert Pat Jenkins talking about impact freshmen...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ball-hawg-podcast/id975078933?mt+2
I'll try...Nick is so hard to listen to tho.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 31, 2015, 09:20:06 am
My favorite type of Christian music

Like saying, "Waterboarding is my favorite kind of torture."
1909/1964/1965/1977

SECisKing

Quote from: SONofHAM on March 31, 2015, 11:44:11 am
I'll try...Nick is so hard to listen to tho.

Who's Nick? You mean the guy from his show? Nah, the show is only with Pat...

I used to listen to the Buzz all the time and found myself always hating it.  About 2 years ago I just decided to never turn it on again.  Makes driving much more enjoyable.

DeltaBoy

I will miss Mike n Mike and Wess.  This change stinks.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

SONofHAM

Quote from: SECisKing on March 31, 2015, 11:53:27 am
Who's Nick? You mean the guy from his show? Nah, the show is only with Pat...
Sorry, wrong mid day recruiting show
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

SECisKing

Quote from: SONofHAM on March 31, 2015, 12:14:58 pm
Sorry, wrong mid day recruiting show

lol you're confusing yourself. The show you're referring to does have Nick with Pat Jenkins, however, we, "Ball Hawg," only interviewed Pat Jenkins...

RazorPiggie

Quote from: SECisKing on March 31, 2015, 12:38:03 pm
lol you're confusing yourself. The show you're referring to does have Nick with Pat Jenkins, however, we, "Ball Hawg," only interviewed Pat Jenkins...

Who does Ball Hawg?

SECisKing

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 31, 2015, 12:42:11 pm
Who does Ball Hawg?

Murf Baldwin of Saturday Down South <---- ME

and

Chad Neipling of ESPN Arkansas/SEC Conference call. We go deep into scheme analysis and things of the sort....

Hugehogsfan

I'm am so very upset about this.  We finally get a decent sports station (would like it on a bigger signal) and they sell it and make it a music station.  I hope that someone in the market sees that this is a viable market and hopefully starts a station we can all be proud of.  If Lanny is pointing at starting his own station, please please do it soon.  I won't listen to the Buzz and once fall comes, I won't know what to do with myself if I can't listen to updates on fall practice. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hugehogsfan on March 31, 2015, 01:06:27 pm
I'm am so very upset about this.  We finally get a decent sports station (would like it on a bigger signal) and they sell it and make it a music station.  I hope that someone in the market sees that this is a viable market and hopefully starts a station we can all be proud of.  If Lanny is pointing at starting his own station, please please do it soon.  I won't listen to the Buzz and once fall comes, I won't know what to do with myself if I can't listen to updates on fall practice. 

Amen it been a great run and I loved being able to stream it online down here in Texas.

DadVader1

Game On was by FAR my favorite sports talk show, and there was not a close second.  Wess, Michael, and Mike are a great team, and RD and Murf were valued contributors.  Best of luck finding a new home soon!   I hope you guys can "keep the band together."

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DadVader1 on March 31, 2015, 01:54:15 pm
Game On was by FAR my favorite sports talk show, and there was not a close second.  Wess, Michael, and Mike are a great team, and RD and Murf were valued contributors.  Best of luck finding a new home soon!   I hope you guys can "keep the band together."

Amen

KlubhouseKonnected

Ha. He certainly has a knack on taking the scenic route to his point, whether he actually reaches said point is often a question only he can answer though.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Wildhog

No functioning brain or lungs.  Dude's a miracle of nature.
1909/1964/1965/1977

BearsBisonsBoars

Listened for hopefully not the last time today. From the opening music, to "Game Over". Easily the best station in central AR. Easily the best program in the state.

I really hate to see them go. Hopefully Game On finds a new home soon.

Wildhog

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on March 31, 2015, 02:44:51 pm
Listened for hopefully not the last time today. From the opening music, to "Game Over". Easily the best station in central AR. Easily the best program in the state.

I really hate to see them go. Hopefully Game On finds a new home soon.

Definitely the best sports station.  Bo has the best show. 

Game On is good, though.  I much prefer it to Acri's show.
1909/1964/1965/1977