Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horrible News

Started by Peter Porker, March 30, 2015, 11:59:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tusksincolorado

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 30, 2015, 12:24:51 pm
XM, it's the cool new technology that doesn't take calls from FCJ, Mike from Stuttgart, or Gentle Ben. ;)

RIGHT ON!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

SECisKing

Quote from: DadVader1 on March 31, 2015, 01:54:15 pm
Game On was by FAR my favorite sports talk show, and there was not a close second.  Wess, Michael, and Mike are a great team, and RD and Murf were valued contributors.  Best of luck finding a new home soon!   I hope you guys can "keep the band together."

Thank You for the props, DV1! I will miss contributing more than you can imagine!
SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

RazorPiggie

I guess I don't listen enough. They are probably the 4th or 5th best show in the state for me. But I'm not a real big Mike Smith guy. And Irwin seems to take things too personal sometimes. Wes isn't too bad.

Bo
Morning Rush
Overtime

Dwight_K_Shrute

92.1 in NWA already carries Bo. They should just pick up Game On. Wess was one of the least aholey guys on the air. Always positive and good to his callers. A hog fan but not a homer. Nice balance with Michael Smith's youth and Mike Irwin's oldness. Hope they are all back on the air soon. But the world does need more Christian Rock. Does anyone know what Stryper has been up to?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

rickm1976

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 30, 2015, 11:59:17 am
93.3 in Little Rock has been sold and is changing formats.

Jackarse.  You had me scared there for a minute.  I thought nine of our players had been arrested for domestic battery or something.

kibster

And Little Rock has a void in sports radio once again.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Nosboar Accubond

So how does the show with no knowledge stay on the air exactly??

GoshenHog

Has Gentle Ben ever called Nick Mason's show?  That could go on a while.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 31, 2015, 02:10:37 pm
Ha. He certainly has a knack on taking the scenic route to his point, whether he actually reaches said point is often a question only he can answer though.

He calls in to Ched's UU show every day I think.  I catch it from time to time, and depending on the day, I either have to turn it off, or I laugh at it.  It's perhaps one of the most confounding paradoxes that I have ever experienced. 

"Now, I have an opinion on something.  It's not like you guys who are on radio every day or nothing, and know more about this than me, and have tons of resources, and do this for a living and everything, and it's just my opinion and probably differs from most people and probably doesn't matter, but...I think Portis is going to stay in school."

It's like listening to Porky Pig, only without the humor...SPIT IT OUT! 

Some days I can laugh at the pointless meandering and references to his dimentia...and some days I can't turn it down quick enough.  "Welp...it's been five minutes, maybe it's safe to turn it back on...NOOOOPE, Gentle Ben is STILL on."   >:(     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Berno

Still on the air as of this morning. Listened to the Morning Rush on the drive to work. Did someone forget to flip a switch?

Hugehogsfan

Quote from: Berno on April 01, 2015, 08:14:28 am
Still on the air as of this morning. Listened to the Morning Rush on the drive to work. Did someone forget to flip a switch?
Yeah I got to work today, and MORNING RUSH IS ON!!!!!

I know that it will come to an end, but at least we had this one last morning. 

Been10Hog

Quote from: Hugehogsfan on April 01, 2015, 08:29:02 am
Yeah I got to work today, and MORNING RUSH IS ON!!!!!

I know that it will come to an end, but at least we had this one last morning.
April Fool!!!

dhizzle

The rush is still on the tunein app but they are no longer in Arkansas. They are in Sherman Oaks, CA.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 31, 2015, 06:28:49 pm
92.1 in NWA already carries Bo. They should just pick up Game On. Wess was one of the least aholey guys on the air. Always positive and good to his callers. A hog fan but not a homer. Nice balance with Michael Smith's youth and Mike Irwin's oldness. Hope they are all back on the air soon. But the world does need more Christian Rock. Does anyone know what Stryper has been up to?
They're touring-part of the "Monsters of Rock" cruise out of the Bahamas April 18-22.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on April 01, 2015, 08:39:16 am
They're touring-part of the "Monsters of Rock" cruise out of the Bahamas April 18-22.

I remember Jr. High kids in our school followed them.  Their parents would only let them listen to "Christian based music," and that was the only "heavy metal" they could get away with listening to.  The guitarists sounded like any random "shredder" that you could hear at the local Guitar shop, and it was so heavily produced that it made Def Leppard sound stock.     

FFWD several years, and while my memory is vague and I'm too lazy to do a Google search, I think there was a big scandal and they were doing stuff that would have made AC/DC and Judas Priest blush.  We're all sinners, but to have some of those groups masquerade as something they aren't and take advantage of the religious angle...doesn't sit too well with me.  There needs to be at least some effort to practice what you preach. 

Oh...and to stay on topic, I never heard the show being referenced, or the station.  Here in NWA when I'm driving I just stick to 1190 The Fan.  Grant and Vernon, Dan Patrick, Ugly Uncle, and then maybe a little bit of Drive Time Sports.  Yesterday Freaky Joe Franklin was on with Randy, and I actually enjoyed listening to him on there.  He's a good dude.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Wess Moore

Apparently the new station is having issues putting the new programming on the air so they kept The Morning Rush on this morning while they work out the issues.

Wess Moore

Also I want to thank you for the kind words. We had a lot of fun doing Game On. I appreciate you listening and supporting the show. We are hoping to move somewhere else. I will let you know as soon as we can. Thanks again!

Wildhog

Quote from: Wess Moore on April 01, 2015, 09:04:40 am
Apparently the new station is having issues putting the new programming on the air so they kept The Morning Rush on this morning while they work out the issues.

I was wondering what was going on. 

You're very good at what you do, Wess.  Good luck finding a new home for your show.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

smb

Come back to DTS it's heard around the world.
GeorgiaHOG

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wildhog on April 01, 2015, 09:11:24 am
I was wondering what was going on. 

You're very good at what you do, Wess.  Good luck finding a new home for your show.

Love the Show and hope to hear you back on the air with Mike by Aug at the latest.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 01, 2015, 09:00:13 am
I remember Jr. High kids in our school followed them.  Their parents would only let them listen to "Christian based music," and that was the only "heavy metal" they could get away with listening to.  The guitarists sounded like any random "shredder" that you could hear at the local Guitar shop, and it was so heavily produced that it made Def Leppard sound stock.     

FFWD several years, and while my memory is vague and I'm too lazy to do a Google search, I think there was a big scandal and they were doing stuff that would have made AC/DC and Judas Priest blush.  We're all sinners, but to have some of those groups masquerade as something they aren't and take advantage of the religious angle...doesn't sit too well with me.  There needs to be at least some effort to practice what you preach. 

Oh...and to stay on topic, I never heard the show being referenced, or the station.  Here in NWA when I'm driving I just stick to 1190 The Fan.  Grant and Vernon, Dan Patrick, Ugly Uncle, and then maybe a little bit of Drive Time Sports.  Yesterday Freaky Joe Franklin was on with Randy, and I actually enjoyed listening to him on there.  He's a good dude.     
As teenagers of the 70s and millennials in the 80s we observed a lot of change and upheavals in the rock world. We listened to some of Stryper's music, but they were usually gathering dust in the back of the cassette tape case. They always sounded a little off-key to me; like the vocals didn't quite match the guitar sound, and vice versa.

I have no right to judge another's faith, but I agree that an entity or entertainer shoud be held accountable if they're going to call themselves walking with the Lord. There's enough hypocrites out there as it is.

Down here in Lower South Arkansas the Buzz is it for me as far as sports talk unless I go online, and since I deliver merchandise I'm in my mobile office all week. Overtime and DTS are palatable, but I just leave the classic rock on before 1 pm! Lol

Do you wanna get Rocked?

Wayne Watson

Hogville Cafe needs to return...
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 01, 2015, 09:00:13 am

Thanks for listening man.  I appreciate it.
Retired Radio Host

hawgXi

Does anyone know what Stryper has been up to?

if you're talking about "stryker"  he's performing on cruise ships

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 01, 2015, 07:38:01 pm
Thanks for listening man.  I appreciate it.

Hey man, you're welcome!  I rarely get to catch all of it, but I catch bits and pieces while driving.  I really like how you've parked yourself in CBB's camp, and I think one more year of improvement and people will put the BP era behind them.  CBB seems to be doing it the right way, and I just sincerely hope he stays here for awhile to see how it plays out.  He seems to like it here, but I hope it doesn't come down to us or a big offer from Iowa. 

It's interesting that you got such a good reception from the new SID.  I'm sure it's not much fun to cover something and not feel welcome.  That's not a good work environment for anyone.  Surely they're smart enough to realize you're more likely to write negative things if they're not at least pleasant to the media.   

I have always enjoyed the show...well minus a few episodes.  I called in just as you were going off the air a few years back when I was a little hacked when Mrs. Lisa went on a full-on tirade/rant about how Jeff Long never should have fired BP, and he is the carpet bagging loser who should be fired.  Then she proceeded to say we should never hire Franklin from Vandy based on his comments about women.  I don't think I've ever heard anything so contradictory in my life.  I was spittin' mad.  You guys were just RIPPING on Long for a solid week well after the incident and firing.  I admit I didn't listen for a few days after that one. 

The other one was when you called the guy from Joplin about his sign that said, "I bet BP scored more this weekend than Arkansas," when we got destroyed by Bama.  You thought it was hilarious for a minute or two, until you realized he was a Mizzou fan and actually poking fun at Arkansas.  Then you said, "Well, now it's not funny," and your tone changed completely.  It was sort of like how you can poke fun at your little brother, but when a bully does it...different ball game.

But to provide balance, I loved it when you had Kiero Small on your show.  That was one of the best radio interviews I've ever heard.  That guy ABSOLUTELY needs to come be a part of the UA at some point.  What a great story, and likeable guy.  My only suggestion for the show would be to infuse more phone calls to past players and get their opinions on things, and get them to tell a story or two.  I love hearing that type of thing.       

At any rate, I enjoy your show man.  I like Mike White joining in recently as well, and I like that you call it how you see it.         

micali

It's A Whole Lot better than some of the crap that's played today.  It sucks for Razorback fans hut that's life.  I'll listen to it if it comes on in NWA.

DadVader1

I was starting to get my hopes up that this was an April Fool's joke, then the signal cut out during Bo's show last night and came back on with a mix of static & Christian music.

Wildhog

Quote from: smb on April 01, 2015, 09:14:06 am
Come back to DTS it's heard around the world.

DTS is an awful show.
1909/1964/1965/1977

blacksuit

Sports Animal 920 needs to get back on the air. It's my understanding that they still intend to do that, but they have lost a lot of time. Hope they have good insurance.

kibster

These new guys on 93.3 are horrible. They don't know crap about sports and refuse to put me in the air to talk about if we should be playing football games at War Memorial.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: Wildhog on April 02, 2015, 09:16:17 am
DTS is an awful show.

As bad as it is, it's still better that The Show With No Name

Wildhog

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on April 02, 2015, 01:17:50 pm
As bad as it is, it's still better that The Show With No Name

TSWNN is not even a sports show, but I definitely agree.
1909/1964/1965/1977

NaturalStateReb

DTS is an awful show.

What I find frustrating about DTS is that it could be a really great show; in fact, I would say that it's been at times much better than it is now. 

Rainwater is a good host; he's an everyman with a light touch who handles callers well.  He's a terrible interviewer.  Schaffer has a wealth of Razorback (and other sports) knowledge, but it's hard to take him seriously sometimes.  They say DTS is caller-driven, but it's really structureless; the same question is sometimes asked and answered repeatedly within the same show. 

What that show needs is someone who can bring it all together like Wess Moore did on Game On, plus it needs to have a little structure injected into it.  The main advantages that Bo has on DTS is structure and the ability to conduct a good interview.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Wildhog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 02, 2015, 01:55:28 pm
What I find frustrating about DTS is that it could be a really great show; in fact, I would say that it's been at times much better than it is now. 

Rainwater is a good host; he's an everyman with a light touch who handles callers well.  He's a terrible interviewer.  Schaffer has a wealth of Razorback (and other sports) knowledge, but it's hard to take him seriously sometimes.  They say DTS is caller-driven, but it's really structureless; the same question is sometimes asked and answered repeatedly within the same show. 

What that show needs is someone who can bring it all together like Wess Moore did on Game On, plus it needs to have a little structure injected into it.  The main advantages that Bo has on DTS is structure and the ability to conduct a good interview.

Agreed on all counts. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgndaaz

Bo does a very good job of being hard on callers that don't make sense or are being idiots. You shouldn't discourage people to call in, just discourage them to call in without thinking through the points they want to make first.

DTS is a free-for-all. It isn't even PG. It is Mr. Rogers-friendly to the biggest half wits in the state.

OldCoot

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on April 02, 2015, 02:41:21 pm
Bo does a very good job of being hard on callers that don't make sense or are being idiots. You shouldn't discourage people to call in, just discourage them to call in without thinking through the points they want to make first.

DTS is a free-for-all. It isn't even PG. It is Mr. Rogers-friendly to the biggest half wits in the state.

Maybe that is a reason he had lousy ratings.  I heard he was going off the air so I tuned in about 6:30 last night.  It must have been a re-run because he was talking about a BP interview where Bo was a real Richard head like most times and was disrespectful towards BP.  The caller was telling Bo this and made a very good argument.  He then said that "you probably agree that you did not do a good interview, right Bo?"  Then you heard Bo start to talk and the radio station cut out........made a horrible screeching racket............... and went to Christian radio.

A good synopsis and perfect signoff of a radio program, and why Bo can't anchor a station in Little Rock.

I think that last segment summed up why Bo can't make any money in this market.

blacksuit

I will miss having Bo in Little Rock. Hopefully he finds a new station ASAP.

There's room for more than one sports channel in our market. If the right ownership group comes in they could make a splash and seize that #2 spot and compete with 103.7. Especially while 920 is off the air. Maybe CBS sports radio is tired of waiting on them and would make a move to FM. The whole 93.3 operation was a mess towards the end: litigation, a half baked rebrand as "the jock", Jim Brinson's short-lived morning show, and now it's gone.

Wildhog

Quote from: OldCoot on April 02, 2015, 03:57:52 pm
Maybe that is a reason he had lousy ratings.  I heard he was going off the air so I tuned in about 6:30 last night.  It must have been a re-run because he was talking about a BP interview where Bo was a real Richard head like most times and was disrespectful towards BP.  The caller was telling Bo this and made a very good argument.  He then said that "you probably agree that you did not do a good interview, right Bo?"  Then you heard Bo start to talk and the radio station cut out........made a horrible screeching racket............... and went to Christian radio.

A good synopsis and perfect signoff of a radio program, and why Bo can't anchor a station in Little Rock.

LOL

You realize that BP interview was one that they cut and pieced together from old BP quotes.  It wasn't real.

That's the only BP interview I'm aware of on Bo's show the last few days.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Mike Irwin

Quote from: OldCoot on April 02, 2015, 03:57:52 pm

93.3 being sold had nothing to do with Bo not making "any money" in LR. The partners who own the station could not agree on how it should be managed so they sold it. Bo was doing fine.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: blacksuit on April 02, 2015, 04:00:26 pm
I will miss having Bo in Little Rock. Hopefully he finds a new station ASAP.

There's room for more than one sports channel in our market. If the right ownership group comes in they could make a splash and seize that #2 spot and compete with 103.7. Especially while 920 is off the air. Maybe CBS sports radio is tired of waiting on them and would make a move to FM. The whole 93.3 operation was a mess towards the end: litigation, a half baked rebrand as "the jock", Jim Brinson's short-lived morning show, and now it's gone.

It was freaking April Fools. I could not believe people listened and actually thought it was real. I'm pretty sure he even said beforehand it was fake. People STILL called in irate at him. I was laughing harder than I have in some time. The bit was great, then the irate callers made it epic.

I really hate to say this, but I think Drive Time Jorts is more up your alley if you didn't understand what was going on

I think I now understand the DTS appeal.

blacksuit

Hawg I think you quoted the wrong post.

I wish 93.3 the fish was an April fools joke, but I flipped over to the station today and started having this painful sensation in my ears...

tusksincolorado

DTS is an awful show.

Is Randy Rainwater still on the air back in LR!?

With Rainbow Rick!?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: blacksuit on April 02, 2015, 08:30:06 pm
Hawg I think you quoted the wrong post.

I wish 93.3 the fish was an April fools joke, but I flipped over to the station today and started having this painful sensation in my ears...

sorry about that!

Wildhog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on April 02, 2015, 08:53:30 pm
Is Randy Rainwater still on the air back in LR!?

With Rainbow Rick!?

Shawl is.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HF#1

I still listen to the morning rush and Bo visa the ESPN radio app.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Wildhog

Quote from: HF#1 on April 03, 2015, 10:13:37 am
I still listen to the morning rush and Bo visa the ESPN radio app.

Driving to work this morning, I was trying to listen to it on 96.3, but the static was awful. 

I listened, anyway.  Screw the Buzz.
1909/1964/1965/1977

BearsBisonsBoars

I wonder if AT&T will let me have my unlimited data plan back. I have a feeling I'm going to be using the Tune In app a lot going forward..

smb

DTS is an awful show.
Then why is it the number one rated sports talk show in Arkansas? Somebody is listening?
GeorgiaHOG

Wildhog

Quote from: smb on April 03, 2015, 01:05:45 pm
Then why is it the number one rated sports talk show in Arkansas? Somebody is listening?

Why is Justin Bieber one of the best selling "artists" in the world?  Somebody is listening?
1909/1964/1965/1977

secfan30

They got back together a while ago and sound great actually. Just finished recording a new album.