Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How would you rate Arkansas' chances at a Sweet 16 run?

Started by Sweet Feet, March 12, 2018, 06:33:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

What chance do you give Arkansas to make the Sweet 16

100%
75%
50%
25%
0%

Sweet Feet

jgphillips3

I'll go 50%.  We are a senior laden team.  We got a reasonable first round game and the best #2 seed we could have drawn.  If we play our game, we can absolutely make the Sweet 16.  We can also lose the first game if we are flat but I think the seniors will lay it all out there.

Hawg Red

I went with 25%, though my actual % is probably closer to 40%. I think we have a fair shot.

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

I chose 25 percent because I don't think its zero.  I think we are about at 10 percent of reaching the 16.

I know nothing of Butler this season but usually they are a seasoned NCAA team and usually play above their ranking.  I will be mildly surprised if we win that game.  I would have rather been in Florida's position but we got what we deserved. 

IF WE COME TO PLAY, we could win our first 2 games.  IF< IF <IF.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: 12247 on March 12, 2018, 09:21:56 am
I chose 25 percent because I don't think its zero.  I think we are about at 10 percent of reaching the 16.

I know nothing of Butler this season but usually they are a seasoned NCAA team and usually play above their ranking.  I will be mildly surprised if we win that game.  I would have rather been in Florida's position but we got what we deserved. 

Florida got better than what they deserved, 20-12 and not winning a game in the SEC tourney, pathetic
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HamHands

The seniors will go all out. Barford and Macon did not come back to go out in the 1st or second round. 75%. Nothing in life is 100%.
One day at a time.

steveaustin69

Pick 'em with Butler. Maybe a 40% shot against Purdue.

.5*.4=.2≈25%

SemperHawg

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 12, 2018, 10:32:19 am

.5*.4=.2≈25%
This may be due to the fact that I just haven't seen Butler play as much this season, but I actually feel like getting by them may be tougher than Purdue.

GuvHog

Quote from: 12247 on March 12, 2018, 09:21:56 am

Florida actually got a more difficult draw because Texas Tech is better than Purdue. Arkansas actually got the best draw they could have hoped for.

As for Butler, they are not as good as Butler teams usually are. The Hogs have one of the best back court combinations in College basketball plus a 6'11" NBA big man in the middle. The Hogs have the height advantage at almost every position and the bench is deeper than Butler's bench so I very much like the Hogs chances in the first game.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Atlhogfan1

Purdue shoots 42% from 3 although they don't on average shoot a high number of 3s.  They still shoot more and better than we do from 3.  They don't turn the ball over frequently.  One of the better defensive teams in college basketball as you would expect from a Painter team.  Not sure this is a great matchup for us and our offense which amounts to Beard, Macon and Barford taking it upon themselves to create offense. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

orvillesghost

jjdlc

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 12, 2018, 10:46:01 am
Purdue shoots 42% from 3 although they don't on average shoot a high number of 3s.  They still shoot more and better than we do from 3.  They don't turn the ball over frequently.  One of the better defensive teams in college basketball as you would expect from a Painter team.  Not sure this is a great matchup for us and our offense which amounts to Beard, Macon and Barford taking it upon themselves to create offense.

Assuming we make it there, I feel like that game will come down more to how its officiated.  But yeah, it isn't going to be a cakewalk.  Butler isn't going to be an easy game either.  I really think our seniors want to make some noise this year though, and we should see their best efforts.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jjdlc on March 12, 2018, 11:27:18 am
Assuming we make it there, I feel like that game will come down more to how its officiated.  But yeah, it isn't going to be a cakewalk.  Butler isn't going to be an easy game either.  I really think our seniors want to make some noise this year though, and we should see their best efforts.

Purdue is experienced too. They start 4 Srs + So who is their leading scorer.  Crowd dynamics will be interesting especially Sunday as Mich St and Purdue fans will dominate.  We'll see if Mich St fans are loyal to the B1G. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Ironhawg

Honestly I think getting past Butler is likely to be a struggle.

hog.goblin

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Rocket23

Also this isn't Brad Stevens' Butler.  Their coach this is in his first year there.  He is a Butler alumnus

mckinneyhog5

65% Butler
33% Purdue
So, a 32-33% chance.
Butler is not a team to be afraid of this year. People are scared of the name, not the team they put on the floor this year.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

steveaustin69

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2018, 12:34:11 pm
65% Butler
33% Purdue
So, a 32-33% chance.
Butler is not a team to be afraid of this year. People are scared of the name, not the team they put on the floor this year.

That's 21%

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 12, 2018, 12:37:32 pm
That's 21%

Not really..if you get past Butler, which I have them doing, and you have a 33% chance of beating Purdue to get to the sweet 16, then it's 33%.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

steveaustin69

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2018, 12:41:30 pm
Not really..if you get past Butler, which I have them doing, and you have a 33% chance of beating Purdue to get to the sweet 16, then it's 33%.

Guess you skipped the day they covered probability. By the way, your signature line quotes yourself with incorrect grammar. Might want to fix that.

PygmalionEffect2

Steve is correct and just to help out Hogcards because I know he would need it, he has the Hogs chances of making it to the Sweet Sixteen as 12.5%.

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

hawganatic

We either will or we won't.  Folliowing that logic, I'm going with 50%...

PygmalionEffect2

I have no clue what our odds are since I started my research on here and I'm hearing anything from Purdue is the worst 3 seed to they should be the strongest 2 seed, so the opinions are much too varied.

Similar thing with Butler, although looking at their schedule, it's not impressive at all.  They somehow got a win over Villanova in their first contest but then lost big the last two times they played them,  so barring some weird matchup problems or us just having an off shooting day (which can happen to anyone), we should get by Butler.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

The Hogfather

I went with 100% just because that's how I thought everyone would answer.

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

The Hogfather

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on March 12, 2018, 12:59:58 pm
I have no clue what our odds are since I started my research on here and I'm hearing anything from Purdue is the worst 3 seed to they should be the strongest 2 seed, so the opinions are much too varied.

Similar thing with Butler, although looking at their schedule, it's not impressive at all.  They somehow got a win over Villanova in their first contest but then lost big the last two times they played them,  so barring some weird matchup problems or us just having an off shooting day (which can happen to anyone), we should get by Butler.

Agreed.  I think we beat Butler, but have no idea how that Purdue game goes.  If we shoot well, we can beat anyone.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 12, 2018, 12:46:36 pm
Guess you skipped the day they covered probability. By the way, your signature line quotes yourself with incorrect grammar. Might want to fix that.

So, if we beat Butler and I have say they have a 33% chance of beating Purdue to make it to the sweet 16, then that percentage drops to 21% because we beat Butler? Also, if we lose to Butler then we still have a 21%, which BTW is the same percentage if we do beat butler, to make it to the sweet 16?

porkrindjimmy

Butler likes to get up and down the floor, just like us. If we show up defensively, we should win that game. I expect it will be close but we advance to Sunday.

Purdue will come down to how well Gafford and Thompson match up with their bigs. If we can play their bigs even, I believe we have better guards. If we can stay even with their bigs, we move on to the sweet 16....

And lastly, Beard is a big key. When Anton stays within himself, leads defensively and plays like a coach on the floor, this team is much better.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 12, 2018, 01:02:21 pm
Agreed.  I think we beat Butler, but have no idea how that Purdue game goes.  If we shoot well, we can beat anyone.

Purdue comes down to Gafford and Thompson.

PRJ

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on March 12, 2018, 12:55:22 pm
Steve is correct and just to help out Hogcards because I know he would need it, he has the Hogs chances of making it to the Sweet Sixteen as 12.5%.

There is more than one way to figure probabilities.

OkieBack

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 12, 2018, 11:51:16 am
Honestly I think getting past Butler is likely to be a struggle.

Agreed.  Not because I think Butler is any better than the Hogs, but some teams tend to struggle with the tournament environment, jitters, away game mentality.  Focus, focus, focus.  Do what we know we do well.  Stay away from the stuff we know we don't do well.  Just play our game the way we have the last couple of weeks and we should be alright.   

steveaustin69

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2018, 01:04:01 pm
So, if we beat Butler and I have say they have a 33% chance of beating Purdue to make it to the sweet 16, then that percentage drops to 21% because we beat Butler? Also, if we lose to Butler then we still have a 21%, which BTW is the same percentage if we do beat butler, to make it to the sweet 16?

I'm not going to teach you probability, man.

The calculation for your original figures is .65*.33=.2145

The calculation for 33 percent chance at Sweet 16 if beating Purdue is 33% likely is 1.0*.33=.33

hobhog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2018, 01:04:01 pm

Just stop before it gets ugly....

OkieBack

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 12, 2018, 01:07:32 pm
I'm not going to teach you probability, man.

The calculation for your original figures is .65*.33=.2145

The calculation for 33 percent chance at Sweet 16 if beating Purdue is 33% likely is 1.0*.33=.33

What are we talking about here?  Basketball or Statistics?  Just toss out a round % and be done with it.  Trying to apply science to Arkansas basketball is like trying to use a tape measure to gauge water mass or something.  It's freaking Hogball...

Razorbackmaniac

.5*.4=.2≈25%

.5+.4 /2 = 45%

Essentially a 45% chance of winning both games.

porkrindjimmy

Who in the hell cares about some fractions and equations and such.

They will tip the ball, when it happens we have a shot. All that counts. I said earlier in the year that this team, when it plays up to it's potential, is a top 10 team. I still believe it.

It is all up to us.

PRJ

steveaustin69

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 12, 2018, 01:16:45 pm
Who in the hell cares about some fractions and equations and such.

They will tip the ball, when it happens we have a shot. All that counts. I said earlier in the year that this team, when it plays up to it's potential, is a top 10 team. I still believe it.

It is all up to us.

PRJ

Apparently the OP because he asked what Arkansas' chances (probability) of a Sweet 16 run are, Mitch.

AFWarrior83

I got Arkansas losing to WVU in the elite eight. 😬
Hogville member since 2005.

steveaustin69

Quote from: OkieBack on March 12, 2018, 01:12:15 pm
What are we talking about here?  Basketball or Statistics? Just toss out a round % and be done with it.  Trying to apply science to Arkansas basketball is like trying to use a tape measure to gauge water mass or something.  It's freaking Hogball...

I did:

.5*.4=.2≈25%

sickboy

9% according to FiveThirtyEight. They're usually spot on when it comes to statistical analysis.

Look at the table here:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-march-madness-predictions/?addata=espn%3Afrontpage

We have a .01% chance of winning it all, which is better than 36 teams. If you value this data and you're filling out a bracket... bet on one of these teams to win it all:

Virginia, Villanova, Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, Cincinnati, Purdue or UNC.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: hobhog on March 12, 2018, 01:08:52 pm
Just stop before it gets ugly....
Fine..I'll change it to 99.9999999999 we beat Butler just so Steve can EAD.

hawgfan4life

I say we have a 40% chance of losing the first round and 70% chance of losing the second round.  That is 110% chance of not making it to the Sweet 16 or 60% of winning the first and 30% chance of winning the second for a 90% chance of going to the Sweet 16.  Depends on how you want to add the two games up.  I want to be positive so I am going with a 90% chance of us going to the Sweet 16.  I really like those odds.

OkieBack

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2018, 01:24:22 pm
Fine..I'll change it to 99.9999999999 we beat Butler just so Steve can EAD.

Geez what were/are you people?  A bunch of Math majors?

steveaustin69

OkieBack

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 12, 2018, 01:26:00 pm
I say we have a 40% chance of losing the first round and 70% chance of losing the second round.  That is 110% chance of not making it to the Sweet 16 or 90% chance of going to the Sweet 16.  Depends on how you want to add the two games up.  I want to be positive so I am going with a 90% chance of us going to the Sweet 16.  I really like those odds.

We have a 58.7% chance of beating Butler if played on a Thursday, Friday it bumps up to 63.5% if we deduct wind resistance in the arena (3.6 mph) plus the hot dog factor (82.4%) and divide that by the quotient...50% chance.  Why?  Because there are 2 FREAKING TEAMS.  1/2 = 50%.  Thank you.  I learned that in 3rd grade.  Lol

mckinneyhog5

hogcards

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on March 12, 2018, 12:55:22 pm

I have that closer to 10.25%   ;)

laymans=they're not going to the sweet 16.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2018, 01:32:39 pm
At least I'm not a dick, which there's a 100% chance you are.

Absolutely...he knows zero about what is going on. I may stun him before it is over.

PRJ