Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thought while wasting time on NSD

Started by Biggus Piggus, February 01, 2017, 08:20:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Here are the numbers of offensive linemen that Bret Bielema signed to letters of intent when he was head coach of Wisconsin.

2006 - 4
2007 - 1
2008 - 4
2009 - 4
2010 - 4
2011 - 2
2012 - 3

Seven years, 22 signees, about three per year. No junior college players.

Here are his numbers at Arkansas.

2013 - 4 (1 JC)
2014 - 4 (1 JC) - 5 if you include Jake Hall
2015 - 4
2016 - 3 (2 JC)
2017 - 3

Numbers alone are not a problem. The number of juco signees has increased the need for more numbers though. Also, Wisconsin's walk-on program produced more players than Arkansas's has so far.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

It takes time to build a walk on program.  Most parents still rather to have a scholarship to UCA than walk on at UA.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Biggus Piggus

If you credit jucos as 1/2 a player - because they have half the eligibility - Arkansas has averaged signing a little over three Olinemen per year.
[CENSORED]!

3kgthog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 01, 2017, 08:31:25 am
It takes time to build a walk on program.  Most parents still rather to have a scholarship to UCA than walk on at UA.

I don't envy any parents that have a son or daughter stuck in that situation. Do you worry about the money or let them live their dream as a Hog no matter the cost? I think I'd cave in and choose the latter.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 01, 2017, 08:57:26 am
I don't envy any parents that have a son or daughter stuck in that situation. Do you worry about the money or let them live their dream as a Hog no matter the cost? I think I'd cave in and choose the latter.

I would too but for some it not a realistic option.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

The_Iceman

I like the three linemen we added this year.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 01, 2017, 08:20:32 am
Numbers alone are not a problem. The number of juco signees has increased the need for more numbers though. Also, Wisconsin's walk-on program produced more players than Arkansas's has so far.

The walk-on program should start showing results in the next year or so. We already have Gibson showing up.

EFBAB

Oklahawg

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on February 01, 2017, 09:09:13 am
The walk-on program should start showing results in the next year or so. We already have Gibson showing up.

EFBAB

Dylan Hays started as a walk-on and got a scholarship early on. Showed that he was good enough to compete.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 01, 2017, 09:42:07 am
Dylan Hays started as a walk-on and got a scholarship early on. Showed that he was good enough to compete.
I knew he was a beast. I seen this kid play in high school and he was a man amongst boys. I felt the same way about him that I do about Hayden Henry.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

lstewart

Concerning the question of walking on for the Hogs, or receiving a full scholarship to somewhere like UCA. Of course I am all for the Hogs getting good walk-ons, but there is a third side to it, in addition to the expense to the parents. I played college tennis long ago, and played at a lower level school. There were guys on the Hogs roster that never got to play that were better than me, but I played in over 100 college matches in my 4 years, and got to play against some of the top Hog players multiple times. So your realistic opportunity to get playing time is another factor. Would you rather start for UCA as a freshman or sophomore, as opposed to being buried on the scout team for the Hogs. Something to consider.....

DeltaBoy

Pork Twain

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 01, 2017, 08:20:32 am
Here are the numbers of offensive linemen that Bret Bielema signed to letters of intent when he was head coach of Wisconsin.

2006 - 4
2007 - 1
2008 - 4
2009 - 4
2010 - 4
2011 - 2
2012 - 3

Seven years, 22 signees, about three per year. No junior college players.

Here are his numbers at Arkansas.

2013 - 4 (1 JC)
2014 - 4 (1 JC) - 5 if you include Jake Hall
2015 - 4
2016 - 3 (2 JC)
2017 - 3

Barry had that walk on/redshirt program rolling and CBB just took it over.  No such luck here and he has had to build it from the ground up
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DeltaBoy

Yes we all failed to see how bad of shape our program was Brent took over.