Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do we finish?

Started by PorkSoda, January 31, 2017, 06:21:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

we are on the home stretch recruiting wise.  I haven't been following recruiting much this year, so I gotta rely on you guys.

how do you think we finish?  are we going to fill out needs, or are there some holes this class doesn't address? Do we have any recruits waiting til signing day to announce? etc.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Bubba's Bruisers

Should get Calloway tomorrow to finish it.  He's arguably our top recruit.  So nice ending.  Our final ranking will be like it always is.  Looks like we filled needs.  Only getting 1 DL that I know of, so that may be the only position with questionable numbers.

The strength of the class will be offensive skill players, pretty much like always, and DB's. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

onebadrubi

We don't really have the slots for a "how do we finish" conversation, do we?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 31, 2017, 06:25:11 pm
Should get Calloway tomorrow to finish it.  He's arguably our top recruit.  So nice ending.  Our final ranking will be like it always is.  Looks like we filled needs.  Only getting 1 DL that I know of, so that may be the only position with questionable numbers.

The strength of the class will be offensive skill players, pretty much like always, and DB's.

I thought we picked up a 2nd DL?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 31, 2017, 06:38:38 pm
We did. Porter and Johnson are their last names.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 31, 2017, 06:38:38 pm

Like I said, I could only think of 1...Johnson.  I was thinking Porter wa maybe more of a 34 OLB.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 31, 2017, 06:39:17 pm
We did. Porter and Johnson are their last names.
I believe Porter will technically be an OLB, but don't forget about Richardson

greasy_corner

How do we finish?

...with a peck on the cheek, and a warm washcloth.

RedyorNot

Top 25 class. There are a few we could jump from what Trey said as well as a few that could leap us at the same time. Our secondary is stacked, especially if CC commits, so I'm happy.

Oklahawg

Quote from: greasy_corner on January 31, 2017, 08:28:23 pm
How do we finish?

...with a peck on the cheek, and a warm washcloth.

"I ruv you vewy much, you so hannsum."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

tophawg19

we sign Chevin and miss on the 5 star mystery recruit
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Music City Hog

Oklahawg

Quote from: Music City Hog on January 31, 2017, 10:20:18 pm
The hell?

lol

Just a light-hearted response to "finish" and "warm wash cloth".
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Music City Hog

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 31, 2017, 10:26:44 pm
lol

Ahhhh, I was confused!   I feel ya now!  Ha.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 31, 2017, 10:18:13 pm
we sign Chevin and miss on the 5 star mystery recruit
Yeah weren't many super secret recruit rumors this year, we have been shortchanged.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 31, 2017, 10:26:44 pm
lol

Guess you had to be there.   ;)
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

gchamblee

gchamblee

The thing about getting all your commitments out of the way before NSD, there isnt much excitement or drama on NSD. Some will spin that to represent a disappointment, but I love going into today already knowing we have a solid class and recruited to our needs.

SDZ_Hog

February 01, 2017, 07:37:31 am #18 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:16:50 am by SDZ_Hog
Quote from: gchamblee on February 01, 2017, 06:53:25 am
The thing about getting all your commitments out of the way before NSD, there isnt much excitement or drama on NSD. Some will spin that to represent a disappointment, but I love going into today already knowing we have a solid class and recruited to our needs.
I'd rather it be underwhelming than disappointing.  If we get Chevin Callaway I'll be happy.  It would be fun to get a Philon somehow.  I'm taking Twitter with a grain of salt after the Pennamon debacle.  Got to look at who they are and how many followers.  National Signing Day coincides with National Troll Day. 

When I say underwhelming i'm talking about the day not the class.

JayBell

Quote from: RedyorNot on January 31, 2017, 09:03:04 pmTop 25 class. There are a few we could jump from what Trey said as well as a few that could leap us at the same time. Our secondary is stacked, especially if CC commits, so I'm happy.

I'm legit baffled by the pessimism about this class.  All three offensive linemen are already on campus.  Hayden and Williams are the best pair of running backs Arkansas has brought in at the same time since DMac and Felix.  This is arguably the best class of defensive backs this century; definitely top three.  There's playmakers galore on the offensive side.

And this is hands down the best group of linebackers brought in during Bielema's tenure.  That's not a high bar, but it's a good thing.

Other than pulling in a 5 star linebacker or immediate impact defensive lineman, I don't know what there is to complain about with this class.

JayBell

Quote from: gchamblee on February 01, 2017, 06:53:25 amThe thing about getting all your commitments out of the way before NSD, there isnt much excitement or drama on NSD. Some will spin that to represent a disappointment, but I love going into today already knowing we have a solid class and recruited to our needs.

Same here.  If Arkansas had this same exact class, but Hayden and Brown instead made their decisions on NSD with Calloway, a lot of fans would have a totally different appreciation for how good the class really is.

ballhogger

Quote from: JayBell on February 01, 2017, 08:02:21 am
I'm legit baffled by the pessimism about this class.  All three offensive linemen are already on campus.  Hayden and Williams are the best pair of running backs Arkansas has brought in at the same time since DMac and Felix.  This is arguably the best class of defensive backs this century; definitely top three.  There's playmakers galore on the offensive side.

And this is hands down the best group of linebackers brought in during Bielema's tenure.  That's not a high bar, but it's a good thing.

Other than pulling in a 5 star linebacker or immediate impact defensive lineman, I don't know what there is to complain about with this class. 

Agreed totally,  This is not an exact science.  Unless you get a top 10 class it is totally about development (unless you are Ole Miss). From about 12/15 -30ish there is not an enormous difference.  For example, on 247 you look at how kids are evaluated and really compare them there is not a huge difference between a high three star and low 4 star.  It really depends on development and system.  We are at a point where we need to address needs now.  Our foundation is as good as it has been in a while.  We do have holes but that is what we have to address now.  Secondary and LB which the last two classes have addressed.

AugustaHog

DL wasn't a significant need for 2017.  What concerns me is what will happen to depth after that.  When you bring in one HS DL in a class, it has potential ramifications later on.  2020 will have at most just Porter left on the roster.  That's a one man DL class after the JUCO guys use up their eligibility.  This makes the next two DL classes extremely crucial for the future of the program.  If we whiff in those years, the DL will be extra thin down the road.  I think it will be interesting to see what they do with Segrest because he doesn't seem to be able to go out and land himself some studs on the line.  I know we got Sosa last year, but I don't think that had much to do with Rory. 

SDZ_Hog

Dropkick

younghog

Florida basically just watches us and starts pecking like a Wookpecker
GO HOGS

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 01, 2017, 11:28:27 am
Man, I'm starting to HATE Swamp Donkey! [CENSORED] just keeps going after guys we already have. Zuniga was under recruited, we were in on him before he blew up, he comes in and flips rob FL. Then there's the whole Putu deal. They have 61627228 DBs in the state and have a great track record of them, why Putu? Now coming after another one of our guys on NSD because he can't recruit worth shite? Glad we stomped their arse last year!

Kevin

if  our class is so bad, why would florida want to try and steal one
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Kevin on February 01, 2017, 12:51:57 pm
if  our class is so bad, why would florida want to try and steal one

Because it's not bad.  It's pretty solid.

Kevin

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 01, 2017, 12:54:22 pm
Because it's not bad.  It's pretty solid.

not what some on hogville say
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Kevin on February 01, 2017, 12:55:18 pm
not what some on hogville say

I'd say pretty few.  The majority always makes the minority appear bigger than it is.