Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scout's Top 25 recruiting classes for 2017

Started by Suidae Suis Scrofa, January 24, 2017, 12:34:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Youngsta71701

We always finish in the middle of the pack when it comes to SEC team rankings. Between 8 and 10 sounds about the norm. Why do some act surprised? I am trying out how does South Carolina keep beating us in recruiting rankings?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Andrew Hogfan

I'm not surprised. Just disappointed.  6th place out of 7 in our division sucks.
WPS!!!

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 24, 2017, 01:01:10 pm
We always finish in the middle of the pack when it comes to SEC team rankings. Between 8 and 10 sounds about the norm. Why do some act surprised? I am trying out how does South Carolina keep beating us in recruiting rankings?

More/higher rated recruits instate and in nearby NC and GA make recruiting to SC much easier. 17 of their 23 recruits and all of their four 4 stars are from those 3 states.

factchecker

Location, Location, Location

plus Muschamp is a pretty good recruiter.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LRHawg

My guess is proximity to Atlanta and all the kids in Georgia/SC/NC/East TN area. Muschamp can recruit, but so far hasn't shown to be an elite head coach.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on January 24, 2017, 01:10:44 pm
More/higher rated recruits instate and in nearby NC and GA make recruiting to SC much easier. 17 of their 23 recruits and all of their four 4 stars are from those 3 states.
Oh yeah, that's understandable then. It just sucks that a program that we are better than recruits better than us.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Ramboar

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on January 24, 2017, 12:55:37 pm
That's disheartening
Not really, I love this class. Haven't been this excited ab a class in a while.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

forrest city joe

Quote from: factchecker on January 24, 2017, 01:12:31 pm

Yep. the coaches change,but the recruiting stays about the same.you need great coaching,and great evaluations to win big at Arkansas.it is what it is.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Ramboar on January 24, 2017, 01:16:38 pm

Interesting.  What stands out to you about this class?  What sets it apart from recent classes?

GoHogzzGo

January 24, 2017, 02:00:15 pm #12 Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:08:57 pm by GoHogzzGo
Top 25 is damn good and plenty of talent to to win, we are just in a all division.

Also note the absence of Ole miss correct? And how is Maryland so high? Put them on notice for the next recruitment violation.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 24, 2017, 01:49:52 pm
Interesting.  What stands out to you about this class?  What sets it apart from recent classes?
I don't know about him, but it's the speed and athleticism for me.

TNhawgfan

Petrino is #14 and 11 spots ahead of us? I thought it was established on hogville he can't recruit
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 24, 2017, 02:25:52 pm
Petrino is #14 and 11 spots ahead of us? I thought it was established on hogville he can't recruit

Not arguing for or against BP but on 24/7 (just their ranking, not the composite), UA is 19 and UL is 30

ifghog

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on January 24, 2017, 01:09:20 pm
I'm not surprised. Just disappointed.  6th place out of 7 in our division sucks.
Not that its much better but aren't we ahead of the MS schools? We will never be ahead of LSU, Alabama, Auburn or A&M....Now we could finish better than 25th but we are about were will always be in the West....I know it sucks.

WriterWrong

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on January 24, 2017, 01:09:20 pm

Well, yeah. But, we're competing against some elite programs. Being in the Top 25 nationally is still an achievement, and we could still move up... or down.

Either way, we've got a good signing class. Is it good enough to lead to an SEC title at some point? We'll see. But, we aren't bringing in bad football players. Just aren't scoring on the elite kids like we want.

I like our class. If we finish strong, this could be our best overall class since CBB has been here.

Muskliketusk

Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

Andrew Hogfan

Quote from: Ramboar on January 24, 2017, 01:16:38 pm
The class itself isn't disheartening.  Coach B has recruited better than petrino or nutt. It's disheartening that his best class to date,  which is top 25 nationally,  is still the bottom of our division. 
WPS!!!

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 24, 2017, 02:07:49 pm
I don't know about him, but it's the speed and athleticism for me.

Let's hope...

factchecker

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on January 24, 2017, 03:45:05 pm
The class itself isn't disheartening.  Coach B has recruited better than petrino or nutt. It's disheartening that his best class to date,  which is top 25 nationally,  is still the bottom of our division.

Life in the SEC West.

It really is crazy when you consider that our current recruiting class would be ranked around 3rd or 4th in the Big12.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: factchecker on January 24, 2017, 01:12:31 pm

Some people will never understand proximity. Like, never ever ever.

Muskliketusk

Quote from: factchecker on January 24, 2017, 04:24:07 pm
Life in the SEC West.

It really is crazy when you consider that our current recruiting class would be ranked around 3rd or 4th in the Big12.
a league we could win every year. It's just a different type a athlete we get as far as size and speed. Don't think none of them teams are built to handle the kinda physical kids we getting.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

Shutup

Absolutely! He can't coach and he can't recruit.
(Heavy Sarcasm)

Robb Smith Got Rich coaching Petrinos recruits. Once Brets recruits started rolling in things went down hill fast. And Brets 25 wins in 4 years speaks for itself.

King Kong

Quote from: Shutup on January 24, 2017, 05:46:32 pm
(Heavy Sarcasm)

Robb Smith Got Rich coaching Petrinos recruits. Once Brets recruits started rolling in things went down hill fast. And Brets 25 wins in 4 years speaks for itself.

Yeah like Martell Spaight..... wait Petrino didn't offer him because he was too small

factchecker

Depends on the service.  The best thing to use is 247 composite because it takes in all the rankings and gives the average:

We are ranked 28th and Louisville is 29th:

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawginbigd1

Looks like tOSU will be unseating Bama this year.  Looks like we will finish in the 20-25 range. I really thought we would really end up with more 4 stars in the end, there are 4 or 5 I thought were underrated when they committed, but it hasn't happened.

hobhog

Quote from: Shutup on January 24, 2017, 05:46:32 pm
(Heavy Sarcasm)

Yeah. THATS what happened.

Potosihog

At Arkansas he couldn't recruit.  At Louisville lets just say they may play by different rules.  It is not like that statement is undocumented.  Additionally, signing a class is different than getting them to campus and keeping them for more than one year.  Many of his top recruits here didn't stick around long enough for us to reap the rewards long term.

FBREW000

Quote from: Potosihog on January 24, 2017, 09:28:17 pm
At Arkansas he couldn't recruit.  At Louisville lets just say they may play by different rules.  It is not like that statement is undocumented.  Additionally, signing a class is different than getting them to campus and keeping them for more than one year.  Many of his top recruits here didn't stick around long enough for us to reap the rewards long term.

and sit back and watch.... How many will not ever make it to campus because of grades, behavior, or being on the police scanner?

razortaz

Are there any big recruits we are hoping for on signing day

Dropkick

So you are saying he can recruit, he just didn't when he was here?

JIHawg

Does Scout even have a presence in Arkansas now?  Didn't Hogs Illustrated and Scout split up?   

The_Boot_stops_here

jkstock04

This is news to me about us finishing middle of the pack in the SEC every year in recruiting. My opinion without referring back is that we usually always finish near the bottom.

The last time I was in South Carolina a few years ago....I went to a high school football game. It was night and day different than when I've been to a Fville high football game. Legit D1 athletes all over the field.

Both opposing teams QBs had already commited to division 1 schools...I remember one of them was a 5* commited to Georgia. The size and speed of these kids....especially on the defensive side of the ball, was unlike anything I've ever seen in Arkansas high school sports.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

elviscat

Uncommon, is not working on the hill. We get the leftovers yearend and year out. It's sickening to see this same approach every year. CBB, has failed to bring the needed talent to the hill to produce a winner.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: elviscat on January 27, 2017, 12:25:31 pm
Uncommon, is not working on the hill. We get the leftovers yearend and year out. It's sickening to see this same approach every year. CBB, has failed to bring the needed talent to the hill to produce a winner.

And I doubt any coach will bring in the kind of talent you're talking about.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 27, 2017, 12:28:00 pm
not without boosters slingin' cash, cars, swag and coeds at them on their visits.

hawgtime

He can recruit.  I have always believed that.  I think what I read is that not all of his recruits stick around.

by the way... i got your sarcasm.

SOMEBODY get us some players!

farmhawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 27, 2017, 12:28:00 pm
If you can't get the talent then you have to have the scheme. That's the problem with our coach. He will never outcoach other teams.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: farmhawg on January 27, 2017, 07:30:13 pm
If you can't get the talent then you have to have the scheme. That's the problem with our coach. He will never outcoach other teams.

If we can clean up the defense, which requires both better talent and coaching, then I think we'll be a very solid football program.  Agree, BB ain't an X's and O's kind of guy, but I think he's more consistent in recruiting and retention compared to previous administrations. We still won't be in the playoff, but we wouldn't be even with the guy using a sexier scheme.

streitenberger

Quote from: factchecker on January 24, 2017, 06:10:35 pm
Depends on the service.  The best thing to use is 247 composite because it takes in all the rankings and gives the average:

We are ranked 28th and Louisville is 29th:

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

As of 1/27, looks like we've flipflopped with Louisville  (we're 29th, Louisville is 28th).   One thing that was interesting to me
was Nebraska at #22. You look at Nebraska's commits and the majority of their top 12 commits/enrollees are from areas of the country that
are about 1000 miles (or more) from Lincoln. I'd imagine they face similar recruiting disadvantages in terms of geographical location that we do,
yet they managed to get commitments from kids that are far, far away from their campus.

factchecker

Quote from: streitenberger on January 27, 2017, 08:09:03 pm
As of 1/27, looks like we've flipflopped with Louisville  (we're 29th, Louisville is 28th).   One thing that was interesting to me
was Nebraska at #22. You look at Nebraska's commits and the majority of their top 12 commits/enrollees are from areas of the country that
are about 1000 miles (or more) from Lincoln. I'd imagine they face similar recruiting disadvantages in terms of geographical location that we do,
yet they managed to get commitments from kids that are far, far away from their campus.

It's hard to tell where we will finish because it's dependent on where other teams finish but if we get Calloway we SHOULD finish somewhere in the top 25.

The flip flop was due to us losing our lowest recruit.  We dropped one point but our average is higher now.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LJHOG

I am trying out how does South Carolina keep beating us in recruiting rankings?
Better talent closer.

Hogwild

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on January 24, 2017, 02:00:15 pm
Top 25 is damn good and plenty of talent to to win, we are just in a all division.

Also note the absence of Ole miss correct? And how is Maryland so high? Put them on notice for the next recruitment violation.

I don't see us listed in the top 25 (OP link),  what am I missing??

Maryland did get a commitment from one of the top players in the nation (RB)

Justagp

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on January 24, 2017, 05:00:58 pm
Some people will never understand proximity. Like, never ever ever.
It's not that we don't understand, but everyone has a different idea of great proximity. Me? I love my mountains. When I was in school there I could drive to Dallas in about 5 hours for a weekend jaunt. Was it 2 to Atlanta? No, but I never thought about it - if I felt the need for a quick trip it was 45 minutes via an aircraft.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Potosihog on January 24, 2017, 09:28:17 pm
and yet they are they same as us? 28th and 29th. He isn't/wasn't a great recruiter. I would be PISSED if he had the #29 class after having the Heisman QB (who is coming back next year). That's not great.  Hogville always says "winning cures recruiting" but that is crap and untrue.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hobhog

Love the Hogs we get. Only takes a couple of great ones and you just never know....

hobhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 28, 2017, 12:06:40 am
and yet they are they same as us? 28th and 29th. He isn't/wasn't a great recruiter. I would be PISSED if he had the #29 class after having the Heisman QB (who is coming back next year). That's not great.  Hogville always says "winning cures recruiting" but that is crap and untrue.

Qualitative. Define.