Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like both Calloway and Curl will commit on NSD

Started by ricepig, January 01, 2017, 02:33:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

JackJohnson

Bad luck...or bad recruiting/closing?  At some point we have to stop chalking it up to  just being bad luck because we like the coaches and don't want to be negative

ricepig

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 01, 2017, 03:46:51 pm
Bad luck...or bad recruiting/closing?  At some point we have to stop chalking it up to  just being bad luck because we like the coaches and don't want to be negative

Go as negative as you wish, what's holding you back?

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 04:08:52 pm
Go as negative as you wish, what's holding you back?

I'm just saying I don't agree we lose these players when it comes down to the wire because of bad luck.  I think we need better recruiters, especially on the defensive side of the ball

ricepig

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 01, 2017, 04:11:56 pm
I'm just saying I don't agree we lose these players when it comes down to the wire because of bad luck.  I think we need better recruiters, especially on the defensive side of the ball

Yep, time will tell about that soon enough. Maybe it's our bad luck to have these recruiters?

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 04:26:46 pm
Yep, time will tell about that soon enough. Maybe it's our bad luck to have these recruiters?

It was indeed some kind of luck to hire a coach that had literally never recruited at the FBS level at DL and another for LB that was long in the tooth and past his prime that had bounced around the mid major level for over a decade

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 01, 2017, 05:05:18 pm
It was indeed some kind of luck to hire a coach that had literally never recruited at the FBS level at DL and another for LB that was long in the tooth and past his prime that had bounced around the mid major level for over a decade

Segrest was definitely a head scratcher.  Maybe these are the best coaches we can get. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Big Boi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 05:08:30 pm
Segrest was definitely a head scratcher.  Maybe these are the best coaches we Bert can get.

fullfan

We will do as usual...get one and lose 3 or 4 that were considering Hogs.  Pick up some late "under the radar" types to close with.   Probably miss out on at least 1 or 2 that are currently committed.   Woo Pig!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: fullfan on January 01, 2017, 06:15:27 pm
We will do as usual...get one and lose 3 or 4 that were considering Hogs.  Pick up some late "under the radar" types to close with.   Probably miss out on at least 1 or 2 that are currently committed.   Woo Pig!

Odds are in your favor.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

parallaxpig

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 01, 2017, 04:11:56 pm

So are you volunteering to be the closing bag man.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

kp72204

There not coming. They never were just didn't want to upset people at the moment, which is almost always the case.

sowmonella

Quote from: kp72204 on January 01, 2017, 10:18:09 pm
There not coming. They never were just didn't want to upset people at the moment, which is almost always the case.
Thank you Mr. Insider for giving us the scoop.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

razored

Recruiting starts and ends with the HC.
As long as UA is willing to accept mediocre head coaching then the fans (us) will be saddled with mediocre recruiting.
It is 100% BS that recruits won't come to UA. Just look at all the NFL players (over 1/2 of them) that played at division 2 & 3 schools.
I have posted all the coaches that the UA passed over to hire the ones that we did.
Jimmy Johnson - Barry Switzer - Butch Davis -
Then there are the ones that were HC that got canned - Lou Holtz - Ken Hatfield - Bobby P. (rode himself off in the ditch.)

Dominicanhog

Quote from: razored on January 01, 2017, 10:36:23 pm

I have posted all the coaches that the UA passed over to hire the ones that we did.

Those 3 have several things is common beyond their Arkansas connections.. National Championships, cheating, schools almost being given the death penalty.... seems to be a high correlation between cheating and winning...

ricepig

Quote from: kp72204 on January 01, 2017, 10:18:09 pm

They aren't? They are coming the same weekend to visit, maybe they will tell us then, so we won't be upset, and all.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 04:26:46 pm
Not bad luck we have them as recruiters because when CBB hired them he KNEW how strong they were at recruiting.

ricepig

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 03, 2017, 07:45:07 am
Not bad luck we have them as recruiters because when CBB hired them he KNEW how strong they were at recruiting.

Michael Smith isn't a strong recruiter? We've not won the hat game on a recruit or two of his, correct?

jjdlc

Quote from: razored on January 01, 2017, 10:36:23 pm
Recruiting starts and ends with the HC.
As long as UA is willing to accept mediocre head coaching then the fans (us) will be saddled with mediocre recruiting.
It is 100% BS that recruits won't come to UA. Just look at all the NFL players (over 1/2 of them) that played at division 2 & 3 schools.
Then there are the ones that were HC that got canned - Lou Holtz - Ken Hatfield - Bobby P. (rode himself off in the ditch.)

Are you saying you believe those D2 & 3 schools out recruited D1 schools for those future NFL players? 

Also, where did you get the idea that over 1/2 the players in the NFL came from D2/3?  That is just a bit off.  There are 1696 active roster spots, of those approximately 120 are filled with players from D2, less than that are from D3.  No where near half.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 08:06:05 am
Michael Smith isn't a strong recruiter? We've not won the hat game on a recruit or two of his, correct?

I know where you are going witht his, but actually have we?  He usually gets his guys to commit and shut it down?  Honest question, not wanting to get a part of the back and forth going on because Smith is a top recruiter and solely responsible for these LA kids we are getting!

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 03, 2017, 11:32:09 am
I know where you are going witht his, but actually have we?  He usually gets his guys to commit and shut it down?  Honest question, not wanting to get a part of the back and forth going on because Smith is a top recruiter and solely responsible for these LA kids we are getting!

Wasn't he the lead recruiter on Cleveland and the CB from LA? I'm not hating on Smith at all, I think he's our best recruiter, just saying it happens to the best.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 11:50:07 am
Wasn't he the lead recruiter on Cleveland and the CB from LA? I'm not hating on Smith at all, I think he's our best recruiter, just saying it happens to the best.

I think i read your post wrong.  I thought you said we haven't won the hat game being sarcastic because of his good recruiting.  I see what you were saying. 

I think he was assisting on Cleveland becasue of position, think that territory is someone elses for recruiting though. 

As far as the CB, I think it was pretty well known that he wanted Arkansas but family (specifically Dad who made a living from LSU somehow )  kept him home.  Smith absolutely killed it last year in my opinion, he lost 1 in LA of 3-5 recruits that could go anywhere.  We continue with those numbers and that guy will be wanting a second comma in his salary!

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 03, 2017, 11:57:51 am
I think i read your post wrong.  I thought you said we haven't won the hat game being sarcastic because of his good recruiting.  I see what you were saying. 

I think he was assisting on Cleveland becasue of position, think that territory is someone elses for recruiting though. 

As far as the CB, I think it was pretty well known that he wanted Arkansas but family (specifically Dad who made a living from LSU somehow )  kept him home.  Smith absolutely killed it last year in my opinion, he lost 1 in LA of 3-5 recruits that could go anywhere.  We continue with those numbers and that guy will be wanting a second comma in his salary!

He was listed as the lead recruiter for Cleveland, FWIW.

Earth Hog Fan

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 11:50:07 am

I think Smith was recruiting Cleveland and the very highly recruited Kristian Fulton
DB from Metairie, LA, who visited Florida and Arkansas with Cleveland.
DB Fulton signed with LSU, and you are right Smith should NOT be considered a good Recruiter, let's just call him a recruiter. I am not sure we have a good recruiter on our coaching staff.  And that is very sad considering the amount of money those guys are making!!
I had never heard of Musselman. But he's a teacher, demands discipline and builds from the defensive end first. I want our football coach to be just like him."

ricepig

Quote from: Earth Hog Fan on January 03, 2017, 09:01:43 pm
I think Smith was recruiting Cleveland and the very highly recruited Kristian Fulton
DB Fulton signed with LSU, and you are right Smith should NOT be considered a good Recruiter, let's just call him a recruiter. I am not sure we have a good recruiter on our coaching staff.  And that is very sad considering the amount of money those guys are making!!

I would call Smith a good recruiter, I guess to each his own.

HOGINTENNESSEE

If you are pulling out of state kids like Guidry, Brandon Martin, Jared Cornelius, Santo Ramirez and Henre Toliver and just a recruiter. Then I have no Idea what a good recruiter is.

ricepig

Scott7703

VirginiaHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2017, 08:13:17 pm
Curl now deciding on the 19th????

https://twitter.com/Kam__Bam__/status/819727810638073856
This is great news right? Since CBB and CPR were doing a in home with him tonight? The comment about being real aND not fantasy sounds like a CBB comment.

ricepig

Quote from: VirginiaHog on January 12, 2017, 08:27:22 pm
This is great news right? Since CBB and CPR were doing a in home with him tonight? The comment about being real aND not fantasy sounds like a CBB comment.

I've read elsewhere where it is thought as such.

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

HOGINTENNESSEE

ricepig

Quote from: secneahog on January 12, 2017, 08:42:32 pm
Cbb and cpr did a inhome visit tonight ?

Yep, and he's now visiting on the 20th-21st.

CallThoseHawgs

Looks like OU put the pressure on him to commit early or not have a spot

greenie

More of the same from those who say "we need to recruit better".  We have done pretty well getting the in-state kids we've wanted. As for the out-of-state kids, we typically only have a shot at those who either have some family connection or who have been spurned by their in-state school. Of course, there are a few exceptions, but not too many I can think of. With that said, I'd love to hear a specific example of someone we lost because of sub-par recruiting. Tell us how you think we could improve. I'm truly curious.

colbs

That doesn't sound good that he's announcing before he visits.

CallThoseHawgs

Quote from: CallThoseHawgs on January 12, 2017, 08:52:51 pm
Looks like OU put the pressure on him to commit early or not have a spot
Nvm. Apparently canceled his OU visit this weekend and replaced them with Baylor

ricepig

Quote from: colbs on January 12, 2017, 09:00:59 pm
That doesn't sound good that he's announcing before he visits.

We have a lot of commits visiting that weekend, they haven't been on an official, either. He came on an unofficial for the Florida game with his Dad.

Oklahawg

Quote from: greenie on January 12, 2017, 08:53:42 pm
More of the same from those who say "we need to recruit better".  We have done pretty well getting the in-state kids we've wanted. As for the out-of-state kids, we typically only have a shot at those who either have some family connection or who have been spurned by their in-state school. Of course, there are a few exceptions, but not too many I can think of. With that said, I'd love to hear a specific example of someone we lost because of sub-par recruiting. Tell us how you think we could improve. I'm truly curious.

Good post.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2017, 09:03:10 pm
We have a lot of commits visiting that weekend, they haven't been on an official, either. He came on an unofficial for the Florida game with his Dad.

just reading between the lines, you seem to like our chances..  reasons for your optimism or am I reading too much?

I felt somewhat similar after reading Brad Stewart's mother talk about their visit with CMS.. like family she said..

Calloway, I think is the wild card.. The UT push worries me, when I thought we were the inside bet..

To land a couple of these guys, along with the one's already committed, we'd finally start to accumulate some depth at a position that's been weak for a long time..

colbs

WooPig90

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 12, 2017, 09:56:21 pm
just reading between the lines, you seem to like our chances..  reasons for your optimism or am I reading too much?

I felt somewhat similar after reading Brad Stewart's mother talk about their visit with CMS.. like family she said..

Calloway, I think is the wild card.. The UT push worries me, when I thought we were the inside bet..

To land a couple of these guys, along with the one's already committed, we'd finally start to accumulate some depth at a position that's been weak for a long time..

Heard stewart might be a mid week visit in 2 weeks...

Darren DeLoach

Lol...I see the asinine crowd is growing.  We lose a DB to perhaps the most successful defensive back producing factory in the game (HIS HOME STATE NO LESS) and we have crappy recruiters.

Geesh

The worst recruiting HC on the Hill of late has been good ole Bobby P.  But like EVERY coach in the history of our program, his classes were basically mid 20's.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

CallThoseHawgs

FWIW OU mods on 247 say OU and Curl seem to have parted ways as he isn't visiting them this weekend. Texas mods are saying they don't have a good feeling either. Maybe our coaches went in and convinced him to commit on the 19th and then come in with the other commits to help recruit during the OVs on the 20th.

Muskliketusk

Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

King Kong

January 13, 2017, 07:15:23 am #45 Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:26:13 am by King Kong
Quote from: Muskliketusk on January 13, 2017, 06:47:01 am
Curl going to TCU. Hide and watch.

We must have had the worst in home visit ever then

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on January 13, 2017, 07:15:23 am
We must have had the worst in home visit ever then

Yep, our coaches leave at 8pm, and he says he's moving up his commitment date.

Redhogs

Quote from: Big Boi on January 01, 2017, 06:12:04 pm
Segrest was definitely a head scratcher.  Maybe these are the best coaches we Bret can get.
Thanks for fixing that.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 09:12:54 pm
I would call Smith a good recruiter, I guess to each his own.
He's our best recruiter. The ONE coach we cannot lose.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

CallThoseHawgs

2 most recent crystal ball picks are for the good guys.  :razorback: :razorback: