Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do deer move when it's really cold?

Started by Pig Latin, December 05, 2010, 06:15:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig Latin

Quote from: KnilesKankle on April 22, 2012, 09:57:12 am
Smites are like scars, be proud of of them all.

clutch

My view on this is that deer move in all weather. They don't have a choice. They have to eat. With all the deer out there needing to eat x amount of times per day there is always a deer moving somewhere. It is just a matter of catching them at the right time. Granted, there are days when the deer move better than others, but I have never been one to think that I didn't have a chance of seeing anything just because of a certain weather pattern.

IronHog

Quote from: clutch on December 05, 2010, 06:48:43 pm
My view on this is that deer move in all weather. They don't have a choice. They have to eat. With all the deer out there needing to eat x amount of times per day there is always a deer moving somewhere. It is just a matter of catching them at the right time. Granted, there are days when the deer move better than others, but I have never been one to think that I didn't have a chance of seeing anything just because of a certain weather pattern.

Deer HATE wind.  Drives them very nocturnal or to protected terrain here.

I don't think southern deer like extreme cold.  They seem to move late morning and afternoons when it is very cold.  Some of that may be normal late/post rut though..............
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Albert Einswine

They still move and it tends to make them herd up. 
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

kodiakisland

Quote from: lucashedrick on December 05, 2010, 06:15:51 pm
Like say 24 degrees

24 degrees?  I thought you asked about really cold.

Somewhere on the negative side of the scale:

Yes, deer move when it's cold.  Usually somewhere out of the wind, but they need more calories to stay warm.  When it's really cold (really, really, really cold to you) they will find a secluded spot to lay in the sun.

This was around 10 degrees at midday. 

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

jep_hog_fan

2 things I've noticed in watching, scouting, andbpatterning deer for two decades:

Steady winds of 15 or more MPH, and hard rain.

I've seen plenty of movement in single  digit temperatures as long as everything is calm.

95_alum

I notice more deer movement:
• The week during a new moon
• When there's a 12 degree + drop in temp.

gotyacovered

the only time i have really noticed the wind effecting them is when it is really cold, unless it is really windy. say 15-20* with a 20 mph wind... my philosophy has always been the rule of two... they can take real cold temps, wind and rain, but not usually the combo of any two...

their core body temp is warmer, so they naturally are more active the colder it gets, to a certain extent anyway... 
You are what you tolerate.

IronHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 06, 2010, 02:23:12 pm
the only time i have really noticed the wind effecting them is when it is really cold, unless it is really windy. say 15-20* with a 20 mph wind... my philosophy has always been the rule of two... they can take real cold temps, wind and rain, but not usually the combo of any two...

their core body temp is warmer, so they naturally are more active the colder it gets, to a certain extent anyway... 

Wind messes with deer's hearing and their vision.

I've seen them move during the wind......but it'll drive them to sheltered cover more often than not.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 06, 2010, 02:23:12 pm

Also, a lot of the movement I've noticed has been with a purpose, getting where they want to be and mostly in a straight line together.

Ahog4life

Yes deer move when its colder usually earlier in the evening. They have to eat more to warm themselves. This week is a great week to hunt no moon cold temps and the rut. I got me a 10 point at Wappanocca yesterday, shot him at 415. He was in full rut smelt like piss from his tarsal glands and his neck was swole had many scrapes and rubs

clutch

Quote from: Ahog4life on December 07, 2010, 06:18:32 am
Yes deer move when its colder usually earlier in the evening. They have to eat more to warm themselves. This week is a great week to hunt no moon cold temps and the rut. I got me a 10 point at Wappanocca yesterday, shot him at 415. He was in full rut smelt like piss from his tarsal glands and his neck was swole had many scrapes and rubs

wappanocca? you are in my area.

Albert Einswine

Post a pic of the Wappanocca 10 point.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

gotyacovered

Wappanocca buck rutting??? for real? where the hell is Wappanocca?

SultanofSwine

Some toads on that place and it is finally cold enough for all the snakes over there to get in a hole.

Pics???

jep_hog_fan

Wappanocca is near Turrell , north of Marion.

Ahog4life

I'm going try to get a pic up for you guys.

Ahog4life

December 08, 2010, 01:07:25 am #17 Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:24:20 pm by Ahog4life
deleted

Ahog4life

just click through the pics, I'm not at my house so this is the only way I know how to get up a pic.

Ahog4life

mods could you delete the link for me just realized I have to be signed on for it to work. thanks.

gotyacovered

Quote from: Ahog4life on December 08, 2010, 01:19:18 am
mods could you delete the link for me just realized I have to be signed on for it to work. thanks.

you can del it yourself, just hit 'modify'

Albert Einswine

In the meantime, I'm jonesin' for that pic, dude... 8)

Ahog4life

I have no clue how to post a picture on here.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Ahog4life on December 09, 2010, 01:25:32 am
I have no clue how to post a picture on here.

Is it on your computer?  If so, just just start a post using the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the thread.  Hit preview and when the page forwards, at the bottom of the script box you'll see "Additional Options".  Click on that.  You'll then get a drop down with an "Attach:" application that has a "Browse" button to the right side. 

Hit the "Browse" button and it will pull up a separate window where you can select photos.  Just click on the photo you want to share and it will put it in the attachment box and then you can post it.

Ahog4life

Still trying to post a pic... 

Additional Options... 

Return to this topic. 
Don't use smileys.

These are the only options it gives me.  Nothing to attach a pic.  ????

Ahog4life

December 09, 2010, 08:54:10 am #25 Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:35:55 am by Ahog4life
[/img]

gotyacovered

December 09, 2010, 10:49:46 am #26 Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 02:01:57 pm by gotyacovered
you can email it to me and i'll post it for you or you can get a photobucket account and make it easy ;)

Ahog4life

Here's a link to the Wappanocca 10 point I got on Monday. 

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/05MwdgoTBGn0OcJn8W8OISSvrclgt45AeYZPBOPnB2Q?feat=directlink

Sorry it took me so long to get a pic up...

gotyacovered

Albert Einswine

December 09, 2010, 06:13:12 pm #29 Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:20:32 pm by Albert Einswine
Great looking buck! Good mass.  How much did he weigh? 

Ahog4life, posting the pic of your deer so that it shows up in the thread.  Hope you don't mind.

Quote from: Ahog4life on December 09, 2010, 01:45:47 pm
Here's a link to the Wappanocca 10 point I got on Monday. 

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/05MwdgoTBGn0OcJn8W8OISSvrclgt45AeYZPBOPnB2Q?feat=directlink

Sorry it took me so long to get a pic up...

Ahog4life

He was about 185. I had just run a squirrel hunter off about 3 minutes before I saw the deer, the deer came from the opposite direction and was headed right for the scrapes that he had been working. I try'd to stop the deer four times and finally had to take a shot before he got behind the thick stuff, It was about a 35 yard shot, and I hit him dead center of his body and high but he was at a good angle. The arrow penetrated his heart and lungs and he ran about 45 yards and went down. I was stoked especially since I thought the squirrel hunter had ruined my hunt.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Ahog4life on December 09, 2010, 07:48:10 pm
He was about 185. I had just run a squirrel hunter off about 3 minutes before I saw the deer, the deer came from the opposite direction and was headed right for the scrapes that he had been working. I try'd to stop the deer four times and finally had to take a shot before he got behind the thick stuff, It was about a 35 yard shot, and I hit him dead center of his body and high but he was at a good angle. The arrow penetrated his heart and lungs and he ran about 45 yards and went down. I was stoked especially since I thought the squirrel hunter had ruined my hunt.

Great job, man!  Was he 185 on the hoof or after you field dressed him?

Ahog4life

December 10, 2010, 05:34:43 am #32 Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:39:46 am by Ahog4life
On the hoof, he was only about a 3.5 years old deer. The genetics at Wappanocca are awesome. Every year someone kills a 150 class buck out there. I scored him yesterday at 128 and 7/8. I was thinking 130 but just a tad under. He is still a poper though. His g-4s are what kept him under the left side was only and inch and the right side was 1/2 inch. He is just barely a 10.

SultanofSwine

HuntinHog

December 10, 2010, 02:53:00 pm #34 Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:54:57 pm by HuntinHog
Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 09, 2010, 06:13:12 pm
Great looking buck! Good mass.  How much did he weigh? 

Ahog4life, posting the pic of your deer so that it shows up in the thread.  Hope you don't mind.

Ahog4life's Hunting Checklist:

Lock on Stand: Check
Camo: Check
Bow: Check
High Life: Check
Direct TV: Check

No wonder I don't have a deer yet this year, I'm not using the right equiptment...  ;)

Ahog4life

lol.... thats hilarious huntin hog. I was officially living the high life.

Albert Einswine

Was that Direct TV or Dish Network?  I want to be clear on this before I get after the big ones again.  8)

Ahog4life

I've got to keep my mouth closed on this one  :-X. You guys have already caught on to my unique way of hunting. ;)