Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky in a down year

Started by Hog_Fink, February 20, 2018, 10:02:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog_Fink

comes into bud Walton & demoralizes our senior led squad

Breems

Apparently they play very well with up-tempo teams.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

MAGA45

Booooos are loud. It's year 7 and 2 tourneys.
Fake News

Hog_Fink

"kinda seems like arkansas is like this in all their sports" -my mom

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: MAGA45 on February 20, 2018, 10:04:43 pm
Booooos are loud. It's year 7 and 2 tourneys.
hogs win 7 of 9, hottest team in the SEC, lose 1 game and here come the trolls didn't take long
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Dr. Starcs

Even Bruce pearl knows you can't get into a track meet with Kentucky. And unc for that matter.

It was always gonna be a tough matchup for us. Just hope we can go 2-1 at least in the last 3. Will be tough.

MAGA45

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 20, 2018, 10:06:52 pm
hogs win 7 of 9, hottest team in the SEC, lose 1 game and here come the trolls didn't take long

Only one quality win won't get us in the tourney. That's  A&M.  OU and Minnesota don't count. So that's 2 tourneys in 7 years
Fake News

Breems

We're on the bubble, dude. No one cares about 7 of 9 when you're on the bubble.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

greenEGnHAWGS

Bingo. It's sad.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

HeyHogs

Quote from: galactivation on February 20, 2018, 10:06:23 pm
"kinda seems like arkansas is like this in all their sports" -my mom
It only gets worse from here.  Football will be unwatchable for the next three years.  Basketball will get 17-19 wins a year.  It is distressing.

Danimal

I figured we were toast when we celebrated at halftime as if we'd just won the game.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Danimal on February 20, 2018, 10:13:41 pm
I figured we were toast when we celebrated at halftime as if we'd just won the game.

Umm they weren't celebrating a win....they were excited about DM's 3  to end the half as was the crowd, announcer's etc...

Heck I bet Danimal even cheered right?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

GoHogs1091

We got out-talented tonight.

Difficult to win against that type of talent when you basically only have a 3 player team (Barford, Macon, and Gafford).

rude1

Quote from: Breems on February 20, 2018, 10:09:22 pm
We're on the bubble, dude. No one cares about 7 of 9 when you're on the bubble.
Yeah he needs be asking the right question, "Why did we have to win 7 for 9 just to be on the bubble"?

upperdeck_hawg

It's sobering to realize that their Calipari's worse team in his KY tenure just came in and beat one of our best.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Danimal

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 20, 2018, 10:17:59 pm
Umm they weren't celebrating a win....they were excited about DM's 3  to end the half as was the crowd, announcer's etc...

Heck I bet Danimal even cheered right?
*guilty as charged*

golfinpig

If we "try" pressing full court against Auburn it will be the same result if not worse.

kp72204

Like Larry Johnson said, " we better get some men".

Hexametaphosph8

Quote from: golfinpig on February 20, 2018, 11:03:27 pm
If we "try" pressing full court against Auburn it will be the same result if not worse.

Was only able to watch a little in the 1st half, but we were up 11-0 when I 1st turned it on.  I watched us do our weak press and give up layups, dunks, and open 3s because they would easily break the pressure and then have 2-on-1s, 5-on-4s, etc.  I was yelling at the TV to quit that crap and get back and make them make a shot with a hand in their face.   Pack it in, get the rebound, then run.

urkillnmesmalls

I feel like I watched a different game than everyone else.  I didn't see a huge talent disparity at all.  I saw us making the same mistakes that everyone hoped we had moved past.  Not cutting off the dribbler, and actually blocking out and getting rebounds.  We did a little of those in the first half, but ZERO in the second half. 

They just PUNKED us in the paint.  Bad.  I'll say one thing for this Razorback team.  When we're bad, we're REALLY bad.  We had one mediocre bad game against Miss State that we could have won, but the rest...are just total fizzlers. 

I don't know what happened, but tonight was back to the no energy, no movement on offense, and not moving our feet on defense.  It was almost like we got the 11 point lead, and thought it was going to be easy, and then when it went south a little...and we lost it.  We just never showed the energy needed to stay out front.  I almost wish they had gotten out to an 11 point lead instead, and we would have had to claw our way back and stay hungry.

I dunno...finally a chance to beat KY and help the program with a little prestige...and instead, we just got manhandled by a bunch of Fr. 

Oh well...maybe we'll squeak out another win or two and limp into the NCAAT, and get back to playing team basketball again.  Ughh....   :(
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

MikePiazza

Just shows the general lack of basketball knowledge that most have on this board that people think this is a "down" Kentucky team just because their W-L record isn't as good as normal.

They still have 5 McDonald's All-Americans, they still have John Calipari on their sideline, and their players are still athletic and long as hell.

Not saying Arkansas had no chance and the Hogs did play poorly in the second half, but to act like this Kentucky team is bad is just comical. This UK team would beat the 2012-13 Cats (the Robert Morris NIT loss team) by 30.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

razorbackfanatic

This is probably Kentucky's worst team we still don't know for sure, but this is the best the SEC has been since Calipari has been at UK. They have played very well in back to back games. We'll bounce back.

We have to continue to work on defense. Extending out too far on the guards and too many times we bring a triple team to cover the man penetrating bc two guys both come on the help instead of just one bc we are confused and we leave wide open dunks and 3's. It's the biggest issue this team has to work at. That's UK's offense, dribble drive and dump to freaks who can jump out of the gym and it's our biggest weakness.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 21, 2018, 12:00:30 am
Just shows the general lack of basketball knowledge that most have on this board that people think this is a "down" Kentucky team just because their W-L record isn't as good as normal.

They still have 5 McDonald's All-Americans, they still have John Calipari on their sideline, and their players are still athletic and long as hell.

Not saying Arkansas had no chance and the Hogs did play poorly in the second half, but to act like this Kentucky team is bad is just comical. This UK team would beat the 2012-13 Cats (the Robert Morris NIT loss team) by 30.

So, most of the past KY teams have lost four in a row in the SEC, and had NINE losses?  This was ABSOLUTELY a year we should have been able to beat KY at HOME.  Are you suggesting we should have been able to for the last 5 in a row that we've lost to them, because they weren't any better than this team? 

If we're going to beat KY, how often will we have a BETTER chance than tonight?  They started out the game playing outside.  Cal jumped their rears, told them to dribble penetrate and fill the lane..and that was all she wrote.  It wasn't anything special....we just didn't cut anyone off and at least take SOMETHING away. 

That was a bad loss, because IMO it was our best chance to win a game, and if you beat KY, the odds are you could lose the last three...and win one SECT game...and still make it into the dance.  We had EVERY reason to play 110%, and I didn't see that.  Did you? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

MikePiazza

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on February 21, 2018, 12:05:16 am
This is probably Kentucky's worst team we still don't know for sure, but this is the best the SEC has been since Calipari has been at UK. They have played very well in back to back games. We'll bounce back.

We have to continue to work on defense. Extending out too far on the guards and too many times we bring a triple team to cover the man penetrating bc two guys both come on the help instead of just one bc we are confused and we leave wide open dunks and 3's. It's the biggest issue this team has to work at. That's UK's offense, dribble drive and dump to freaks who can jump out of the gym and it's our biggest weakness.

No, this team is definitely not worse than 2012-13. Archie Goodwin would not get significant minutes on this UK team.

rude1

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on February 21, 2018, 12:05:16 am

Uhhhh, I don't know how to say this, BUT, there's only 3 games remaining, just when are our guys going to learn or be taught how to play defense?

MikePiazza

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 21, 2018, 12:06:50 am
So, most of the past KY teams have lost four in a row in the SEC, and had NINE losses?  This was ABSOLUTELY a year we should have been able to beat KY at HOME.  Are you suggesting we should have been able to for the last 5 in a row that we've lost to them, because they weren't any better than this team? 

If we're going to beat KY, how often will we have a BETTER chance than tonight?  They started out the game playing outside.  Cal jumped their rears, told them to dribble penetrate and fill the lane..and that was all she wrote.  It wasn't anything special....we just didn't cut anyone off and least take SOMETHING away. 

That was a bad loss, because IMO it was our best chance to win a game, and if you beat KY, the odds are you could lose the last three...and win one SECT game...and still make it into the dance.  We had EVER reason to play 110%, and I didn't see that.  Did you?

Arkansas didn't take care of business after building the early lead, no, and they played hard but couldn't get shots to fall and gave up way too many second chance points. But to act like UK is trash because they're losing games in an improved league and have 9 losses, which most of the teams in the league other than Auburn have, is laughable.

rude1

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 21, 2018, 12:09:39 am
Arkansas didn't take care of business after building the early lead, no, and they played hard but couldn't get shots to fall and gave up way too many second chance points. But to act like UK is trash because they're losing games in an improved league and have 9 losses, which most of the teams in the league other than Auburn have, is laughable.
Lol they lost 9 games, they aren't anything special, but true to form we fail when we need it and don't give them loss No. 10.

MikePiazza

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2018, 12:12:40 am
Lol they lost 9 games, they aren't anything special, but true to form we fail when we need it and don't give them loss No. 10.

They've lost 9 games, all to NCAAT teams other than S. Carolina. Hogs could've won but didn't finish the job.

rude1

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 21, 2018, 12:14:57 am
They've lost 9 games, all to NCAAT teams other than S. Carolina. Hogs could've won but didn't finish the job.
Ummm we lost by 15, but yeah we COULD have won, just wait till next year.

MikePiazza

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2018, 12:15:53 am
Ummm we lost by 15, but yeah we COULD have won, just wait till next year.

Hogs make Sweet 16, you delete your account and never post again. Deal?

Hog Pharm

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2018, 12:09:00 am
Uhhhh, I don't know how to say this, BUT, there's only 3 games remaining, just when are our guys going to learn or be taught how to play defense?

When they gain quickness and height.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 21, 2018, 12:09:39 am

Trash???  Who said that?  You're on here suggesting no one but you knows anything about basketball, and we don't know what we saw tonight.  I saw a KY team that was what I thought they would be.  A team we could have beaten had we played a good game with maximum effort.  We didn't get that from the Hogs tonight. 

Again...never said KY isn't any good.  I just said that this was a GREAT chance for us to win, and you're passing it off as not hitting shots in the second half.  That's now what I saw.  I saw us play what started as looking a little disinterested early in the 2nd half, to almost not even caring toward the end of the game. 

We looked beat mentally, and physically.  So...is KY that much more talented than us, and they would beat us 9 out of 10 games, or are we as good as they are this season and we laid an egg?  Which would you say is closer? 

Beaverfever

Honestly You hit the nail on the head OP.  It's just disappointing but it's reality.  At our best we're almost good enough to give a very disappointing Kentucky squad a decent game in Fayetteville.  The worst part is that Kentucky actually looked like they wanted it more and this game was infinitely bigger to our team than theirs.  They're a major program though and we're not.  Cal knows how to get effort from his kids.  We provided them a nice tune up before the real games begin.  Just gotta get better.

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2018, 12:09:00 am

Imo we just need to man up more often. Almost every time a team throws the ball into the post and Gafford or any other big is guarding him we bring the double team and sometimes two guys come causing a tripe team. Just let Gafford play that man to man, he doesn't need that much help he's tough to deal with on his own bc of his length. I get that we try to double down and trap, but why do it every single time leaving an easy pass for the big to make? We should just do that occasionally to catch them off guard, but we do it 100% of the time.

We also get beat off the screens and then the rim protector has to leave his man to protect and that leaves these easy lobs.
I have noticed that lately we aren't switching defenders on all ball screens any more, but we are still using poor footwork or playing the screen poorly giving up penetration.

U ask when are they going to learn? We all were shocked that CMA started using a zone at times last season, but he finally did against final four team SC and it worked well for us at times down the stretch. CMA has to adapt some bc we are getting beat the same way over and over. Alabama is similar to UK having a long athletic team and i can see the back of our defense having fits again if we don't remedy this.

McKdaddy

Quote from: rude1 on February 20, 2018, 10:47:34 pm
Yeah he needs be asking the right question, "Why did we have to win 7 for 9 just to be on the bubble"?
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

RealHog

Yup time for CMA to go. Tired of this.

mountainhog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 20, 2018, 11:56:42 pm
I feel like I watched a different game than everyone else.  I didn't see a huge talent disparity at all.  I saw us making the same mistakes that everyone hoped we had moved past.  Not cutting off the dribbler, and actually blocking out and getting rebounds.  We did a little of those in the first half, but ZERO in the second half. 

They just PUNKED us in the paint.  Bad.  I'll say one thing for this Razorback team.  When we're bad, we're REALLY bad.  We had one mediocre bad game against Miss State that we could have won, but the rest...are just total fizzlers. 

I don't know what happened, but tonight was back to the no energy, no movement on offense, and not moving our feet on defense.  It was almost like we got the 11 point lead, and thought it was going to be easy, and then when it went south a little...and we lost it.  We just never showed the energy needed to stay out front.  I almost wish they had gotten out to an 11 point lead instead, and we would have had to claw our way back and stay hungry.

I dunno...finally a chance to beat KY and help the program with a little prestige...and instead, we just got manhandled by a bunch of Fr. 

Oh well...maybe we'll squeak out another win or two and limp into the NCAAT, and get back to playing team basketball again.  Ughh....   :(

I was at the game and you are 100% correct. Totally different team in the 2nd half.

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 21, 2018, 12:07:14 am
No, this team is definitely not worse than 2012-13. Archie Goodwin would not get significant minutes on this UK team.

True I forgot about that team. My point though was that it might not be quite as bad as it seems bc the SEC is clearly the best it has been in several years. When all is said and done they could be better than people think. We beat UK twice in 2013-14 and they went on to play for the NC. We went to the NIT.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Danimal on February 20, 2018, 10:13:41 pm

Macon did waste a lot of energy after making that 3 he was jumping around like they were about to take down the nets and just won the NCAAT.
SEC!

Hognam Style

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 21, 2018, 12:07:14 am

No reason to single out and player bash Archie Goodwin.

steveaustin69

Even with those 7 wins it's not a given we'll make the tournament.  Mike's half court defensive philosophy does not work.  Do you think it's a coincidence teams consistently shoot above their season averages against us?  Switching everything leads to wide open kickout threes and easy putbacks.

Tejano Jawg

Yeah, I admit it. I also fell for that "Kentucky in a down year" talk.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

BroyledNutts

Quote from: galactivation on February 20, 2018, 10:02:57 pm

That's what buying blue chips will produce.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Hognam Style on February 21, 2018, 01:14:27 pm
No reason to single out and player bash Archie Goodwin.

Lol I'll bash him all day, he's getting paid to be average in the G League.

raz1965

Ky has the blue bloods that can make it to the final four. There record is what they was , don't mean that's what they are, young teams gel late often.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: galactivation on February 20, 2018, 10:02:57 pm

Mockingbird Central here.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

TNhawgfan

I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

rude1

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 21, 2018, 12:17:17 am
Hogs make Sweet 16, you delete your account and never post again. Deal?
And if they don't?

HogBreath

Quote from: rude1 on February 22, 2018, 06:48:10 pm
And if they don't?
Can you let him wait a while longer until Mike can get his players in here?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?