Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

David Williams will run wild this Saturday at the USCe

Started by solitons, October 02, 2017, 10:03:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

solitons

The Hogfather

Although he's a serviceable RB and he will want to show out in front of all his ex-teammates and coaches, I don't think he's capable of such a performance against an SEC defense.  I hope I'm wrong.

factchecker

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 02, 2017, 10:08:09 am
Although he's a serviceable RB and he will want to show out in front of all his ex-teammates and coaches, I don't think he's capable of such a performance against an SEC defense.  I hope I'm wrong.

Is AnM not a SEC defense?

David ran for 2 TDs and caught a TD pass vs. AnM.

He also ran for 68 yards on 11 carries = 6.18 yard per carry.

AnM's run defense isn't too bad either.  We are the only team who ran for more than 100 yards (226) against them.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GolfnHog

I hope the youngster has a career day against USC-E!  I'll be happy with a even distribution of carries w/ all the backs so  that we continue to stay ahead of the chains and don't get in negative situations. I know a road win in the SEC is what is needed right now to calm the waters. 
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

You already are wrong. Look at his stats against aTm  ;D
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Im counting on him having a career day against the gamecocks
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

rljjr

I hope he does. I just hope he doesn't put too much pressure on himself to try and beat USC-E by himself. I hope he goes out and plays loose and runs wild, but I hope all our backs do that. Would be nice to have another DMAC-style performance from any/all of them.

The Hogfather

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 10:12:20 am
Is AnM not a SEC defense?

David ran for 2 TDs and caught a TD pass vs. AnM.

He also ran for 68 yards on 11 carries = 6.18 yard per carry.

AnM's run defense isn't too bad either.  We are the only team who ran for more than 100 yards (226) against them.

Thanks for providing stats that back up my claim.

The Hogfather

The Hogfather

He has one 100+ yard game (110) and it was against Furman back in 2014.

The Hogfather

I really, really hope he does it because that would probably mean good things for our team.  However, I just don't think he'll have 100+ yards in any SEC games.

factchecker

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 02, 2017, 11:14:11 am
Thanks for providing stats that back up my claim.

Actually it did the opposite..... you said:

In reply to:

Quote from: solitons on October 02, 2017, 10:03:24 am
over 100 yards, 2 TDs, go hogs

Williams ran for 2 TDs against a really gun run defense - AND oh my god they are in the SEC too.

He also averaged 6.18 yards per carry.  Give him about 7 more runs and he easily eclipses the 100 yard mark in which you claimed he wasn't capable of doing.

NEXT!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The Hogfather

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 11:18:50 am

In reply to:

Williams ran for 2 TDs against a really gun run defense - AND oh my god they are in the SEC too.

He also averaged 6.18 yards per carry.  Give him about 7 more runs and he easily eclipses the 100 yard mark in which you claimed he wasn't capable of doing.

NEXT!

Thanks for proving that he's not capable of running for 100 yards and 2 TDs against an SEC defense.  He can do it against Furman, so there's hope.  I think Furman is in South Carolina.

The Hogfather

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 11:18:50 am

In reply to:

NEXT!

Also, you're missing/dismissing the main part of the problem.  He probably isn't going to get those 7 carries ever and, even if he does, he likely won't continue on that pace.  It would likely take another 10-12 carries, which he will never get.

jcbville

rljjr

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 02, 2017, 11:22:34 am
Also, you're missing/dismissing the main part of the problem.  He probably isn't going to get those 7 carries ever and, even if he does, he likely won't continue on that pace.  It would likely take another 10-12 carries, which he will never get.

But you discussed capability. He's more than capable based on his performance against an SEC opponent. He has the capability. The question is will he get the opportunity.

AugustaHog

I think he will have a good game.  He is the type of straight, no-nonsense down-hill back that we've been missing for the last few years.  He's going to run the play as it's blocked, fall forward and drive the pile at the end.  All this isn't knocking his speed as I think that's solid, but you aren't going to see him juke and jive too much.  I'd pencil him in for 100 yds if I thought he'd get enough carries.  Hayden is going to get the bulk of the carries, I would guess.  Whaley seems off for some reason.  I'm hoping he gets it going so we have a real 3 headed monster for the next few years.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rljjr on October 02, 2017, 11:30:07 am
But you discussed capability. He's more than capable based on his performance against an SEC opponent. He has the capability. The question is will he get the opportunity.

He has never done it.  Sure, he has put up a good ypc average and has been on pace to do it against some SEC teams.  However, he has never done it.  There are reasons for that.  One is he is better as a relief-type back to come in and spell the bell cow for a few carries.  He rips off some good runs/catches (not usually anything flashy) against tiring defenses, before the main RB comes back in the game.

Actually, Cole Kelley and Deon Stewart are the only guys on our team averaging less yards per carry than David Williams.  Stewart has one carry for 1 yard and Cole Kelley has been sacked, which counts against his rushing stats, or he might have a higher ypc average than Williams.

I'm really not trying to say David Williams is terrible or anything.  I'm just saying he hasn't shown that he can run for 100 yards in a game yet in his career (save for the 1 game against Furman in '14).

I hope he does it Saturday and proves me wrong.

rljjr

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 02, 2017, 11:39:42 am
He has never done it.  Sure, he has put up a good ypc average and has been on pace to do it against some SEC teams.  However, he has never done it.  There are reasons for that.  One is he is better as a relief-type back to come in and spell the bell cow for a few carries.  He rips off some good runs/catches (not usually anything flashy) against tiring defenses, before the main RB comes back in the game.

Actually, Cole Kelley and Deon Stewart are the only guys on our team averaging less yards per carry than David Williams.  Stewart has one carry for 1 yard and Cole Kelley has been sacked, which counts against his rushing stats, or he might have a higher ypc average than Williams.

I'm really not trying to say David Williams is terrible or anything.  I'm just saying he hasn't shown that he can run for 100 yards in a game yet in his career (save for the 1 game against Furman in '14).

I hope he does it Saturday and proves me wrong.

I get what you're saying, yet I maintain he's capable. He's leading the team in all-purpose yards. The guy is better than advertised.

PonderinHog

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.