Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VII

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 27, 2013, 10:00:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 08, 2013, 07:10:14 pm
Absolutely Ugly. Cincy is for real though dude.

Oh I know Cincy is for real. Still no excuse for a 9 run 9th inning though.

pigture perfect

You're right. Just terrible for our Bullpen. JG didn't deserve a ND.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ray Piggers

Man, can't wait for Motte to get back. Even last year, I was never confident in Boggs. Cincy is good, but so are we. We have just as much, if not more fire power up and down our lineup. Our bullpen has to start pulling it's weight.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

pigture perfect

Last 5 starts have been quality. That's good to see.  Bullpen looked great tonight. I don't know what happened last night. I love beating the Reds.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

clutch

Lynn looked good out there. 6 innings 10 K's.

pigture perfect

Rosenthal is the closer for the future. I like this young man.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on April 08, 2013, 10:31:30 pm
Man, can't wait for Motte to get back. Even last year, I was never confident in Boggs. Cincy is good, but so are we. We have just as much, if not more fire power up and down our lineup. Our bullpen has to start pulling it's weight.
I wouldn't hold my breath after yesterday's information that there is actual ligament damage in the elbow.

bsking

I'd be surprised if Motte pitches in 2013.

The Boar War

Great game by Westbrook and really nice run support.  Carpenter and Adams showed off.

I'm not sure Choo is the answer in Center field for the Reds (at least defensively).

jbell96

We have to find a way to get Matt Adams in the lineup more. Taveras is a year away That kid is a monster. The ground rule double he hit in SF last weekend went further than each of his 2 homers the past two days, but hit it to the wrong part of the ball park. I'd say after Beltran leaves next year put Craig in the OF, but Taveras will be ready, so not sure where Adams will fit in.

Root66

Quote from: jbell96 on April 10, 2013, 04:46:29 pm
We have to find a way to get Matt Adams in the lineup more. Taveras is a year away That kid is a monster. The ground rule double he hit in SF last weekend went further than each of his 2 homers the past two days, but hit it to the wrong part of the ball park. I'd say after Beltran leaves next year put Craig in the OF, but Taveras will be ready, so not sure where Adams will fit in.

That would be easy enough. Carlos Beltran to the bench/pinch hitter extraordinaire...Adams to right field or first base with Allen Craig in right. Probably extends Beltran's career. I'm for it.

ucahogfan

What would you Cards fans think about a possible Taveras/Profar trade?

pigture perfect

Not sure. Don't know much about Profar. What are the pros and cons of such a deal.

ucahogfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 12, 2013, 09:33:30 am
Not sure. Don't know much about Profar. What are the pros and cons of such a deal.
Profar is the #1 overall prospect right now while Taveras is #2/#3.  Profar is a SS in the Rangers system.  If you want a long time solution at SS, Profar appears to be the best choice.  Taveras is better at the plate, but Profar is much better in the field and the better overall prospect.

jbell96

I'm not sure I'd want that deal & it has nothing to do with Profar who I've heard nothing but great things about. We just don't have much depth in the outfield.

I was thinking that after Beltran left we could move Alan Craig to RF so Adams could play 1B, which would open avenues up for that trade, but Craig has been injury prone most of his career so trading the best OF prospect in the minors probably won't happen.

Ray Piggers

We have a good young short stop. His name is Pete Kozma.

I don't want that trade to happen, and it likely won't.

jbell96

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on April 12, 2013, 04:15:59 pm

Don't know if Kozma is the long term answer at SS, but I also agree that we won't trade Oscar.

clutch

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on April 12, 2013, 04:15:59 pm

I don't know about all that. I'm not too big on Kozma.

I'd much rather have Profar. We've been lacking a great ss for a long time. Outfield depth isn't that hard to get. There are plenty of guys we could bring in that produce. A great ss is hard to find now days.

The Boar War

I think Profar is a really good prospect but if he was worthy of a Taveras trade the Rangers wouldn't have just signed Andrus to an eight year extension.

The Boar War

Nice work by the pitching staff.  Miller is looking good.  Boggs made a shutdown interesting in his own peculiar way.

pigture perfect

Lohse pitched a pretty good game tonight in his own right. Glad for the win though. Miller looks llike the real deal.

johnny cash

Wainwright is 3 for 3 with RBI and cards lead 8 to 0 in bottom of sixth. 7 runs so far in this inning.

pigture perfect

I like it when our pitchers help themselves. Man, these birds are hot. Hope they can stay that way.

johnny cash

Hot is right. I would like to see Matt Adams in line up tomorrow.

pigture perfect

Looks like Waino's gonna have another complete game against the Brewers. He loves facing these guys. I wonder how many completes he has against them. It's a few I think.

The Boar War

Another good game.  Three hit games for pitchers are rare events (especially when two of them come in the same inning.

dhornjr1

I love me some Adam Wainwright. I have had a man-crush on him ever since October 2006.

pigture perfect

That last strike out reminded me of 06, without as much celebrating of course.

McKdaddy

Those home alt-unis were pretty sweet.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

dacskc

Quote from: johnny cash on April 13, 2013, 05:49:11 pm
Hot is right. I would like to see Matt Adams in line up tomorrow.

I'm betting he will be. These guys look like they're having fun out there. Don't miss Albert at all.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: clutch on April 12, 2013, 08:23:57 pm
I don't know about all that. I'm not too big on Kozma.

I'd much rather have Profar. We've been lacking a great ss for a long time. Outfield depth isn't that hard to get. There are plenty of guys we could bring in that produce. A great ss is hard to find now days.

I'd rather keep Oscar

Kozma is 25, played great last year, and has started off this year doing about the same. He's a .300 batter a nice doubles guy with an occassional homer. Speedy on the base paths. I don't know what's not to like at this point from Kozma. Maybe you're afraid it won't last, but you don't know it won't at this point.

clutch

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on April 13, 2013, 09:55:13 pm
I'd rather keep Oscar

Kozma is 25, played great last year, and has started off this year doing about the same. He's a .300 batter a nice doubles guy with an occassional homer. Speedy on the base paths. I don't know what's not to like at this point from Kozma. Maybe you're afraid it won't last, but you don't know it won't at this point.

It's not that I don't like him, I'm just not sure if he can sustain it. For some reason I just don't think he will. I hope I'm wrong. I don't know, just got that feeling.

Ray Piggers

Ray Piggers

Quote from: clutch on April 13, 2013, 10:03:26 pm
It's not that I don't like him, I'm just not sure if he can sustain it. For some reason I just don't think he will. I hope I'm wrong. I don't know, just got that feeling.

Until it appears he can't sustain it. (Who knows how long that will be) I wouldn't be actively shopping for short stops.. That's just me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Kozma has done more than enough for me to be confident at this point.

Would I take Profar? Hell yeah. But, not for Tavares. Have things progressed with Profar without my knowledge? last I heard there wasn't much to the talks.

Ray Piggers

Ray Piggers

One more From Mozeliak himself

"I'd have to think about it, in terms of what we would do...You know, you look at these types of talents at the minor league level and they're elite players. And, you know, for us, I do think we're pretty well set in the outfield for years to come. We're not that strong up the middle, but having said that, what Pete (Kozma) has done has opened some eyes and we certainly want to give him some opportunities. "

So I guess we'll have to see. I didn't know Kozma's OPS in the minors was just .652, but so far in the majors it's been .847   

The Boar War

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on April 14, 2013, 12:36:24 am
http://www.bnd.com/2013/04/12/2574504/i-repeat-the-cardinals-simply.html

My thoughts exactly.  But it does seem like Mozeliak is actively looking for an answer at shortstop (despite his defense of Kozma). 

But not everything has to be accomplished at the farm level.  Beltran will likely be gone at the end of the season.  If we fill that position with homegrown talent surely we can address the short stop position in free agency.  By that point we might not even have an issue to address at short stop.

clutch

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on April 14, 2013, 12:43:46 am
One more From Mozeliak himself

"I'd have to think about it, in terms of what we would do...You know, you look at these types of talents at the minor league level and they're elite players. And, you know, for us, I do think we're pretty well set in the outfield for years to come. We're not that strong up the middle, but having said that, what Pete (Kozma) has done has opened some eyes and we certainly want to give him some opportunities. "

So I guess we'll have to see. I didn't know Kozma's OPS in the minors was just .652, but so far in the majors it's been .847   

Yeah Kozma wasn't near as good in the minors are he has been in the pros, which is where my worries come from. He was only about a .230 hitter too.  I watched him quite a bit in Memphis.

I've heard of a lot of players hitting better in the bigs though. They say the major league pitchers throw more strikes, so there is more hittable balls. Guess they are chasing a lot more bad pitches in the minors and not being as patient.

johnny cash

Matt Adams 2 for 2 so far with another big fly. Matheny needs to get him some more at bats! Guy is hottest on the team at the moment.

dhornjr1

We got big problems with Motte out. Boggs can't get it done.

johnny cash

Yeah Boggs is having major issues.

The Boar War

You have to feel for Garcia.  The season is still young and this has already happened to him twice.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Cards and Hogs today....ugh!!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

clutch

Starters are pitching so good too. Hate when the pen can't close it out.

Ray Piggers

Valverde or Wilson anyone? Couldn't be any worse.

Boggs is an 8th inning guy.. Even then, last year, I was NEVER confident in him.

clutch

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on April 14, 2013, 07:16:00 pm
Valverde or Wilson anyone? Couldn't be any worse.

Boggs is an 8th inning guy.. Even then, last year, I was NEVER confident in him.

I'd like to see that. Worth a shot. I always liked Valverde.

ucahogfan

Quote from: clutch on April 14, 2013, 09:52:22 pm
I'd like to see that. Worth a shot. I always liked Valverde.
Pretty sure Valverde signed a minor league deal with the Tigers.  Still think Wilson is a FA though.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9133834/detroit-tigers-sign-jose-valverde-minor-league-deal

clutch

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 14, 2013, 10:06:50 pm
Pretty sure Valverde signed a minor league deal with the Tigers.  Still think Wilson is a FA though.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9133834/detroit-tigers-sign-jose-valverde-minor-league-deal

Ahh. Hadn't heard that yet.

Pragmatic PiG

The beard's arm isn't there plus he's a high wire act anyways. Any chance rosenthal gets a shot at the gig? Boggs is not helping my team

dhornjr1

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on April 15, 2013, 01:43:35 am
The beard's arm isn't there plus he's a high wire act anyways. Any chance rosenthal gets a shot at the gig? Boggs is not helping my team

I'm all for giving Rosenthal a shot at it. I just hope Matheny doesn't try to be hard-headed like La Russa. TLR rode Jason Isringhausen to 7 blown saves in 21 save situations in 2008 before he replaced him at, I think, the end of May that year.