Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

walkon QB

Started by monty hawg, January 22, 2018, 01:26:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

monty hawg

Richard Davenport is reporting that there is a new walk on Quarterback and his education will be paid by the NY Yankees.  Austin Aune, attended Argyle H.S. in Texas.  Class of 2012.  Signed with TCU but didn't enroll.  Good senior stats.  Completed 224 of 402 passes for 3,411 yards, 33 touchdowns with 9 int.  Rushed for 541 yards and 9 touchdowns.  Could this be our Baker Mayfield without the off field problems?

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

RME

Quote from: monty hawg on January 22, 2018, 01:26:55 pm
Richard Davenport is reporting that there is a new walk on Quarterback and his education will be paid by the NY Yankees.  Austin Aune, attended Argyle H.S. in Texas.  Class of 2012.  Signed with TCU but didn't enroll.  Good senior stats.  Completed 224 of 402 passes for 3,411 yards, 33 touchdowns with 9 int.  Rushed for 541 yards and 9 touchdowns.  Could this be our Baker Mayfield without the off field problems?

I mean, yeah it could. Or it could not.

Odds are probably gonna tell you that it's not.

ricepig

Did Baker play pro ball?

lahawg1

I'm betting not, from 24/7 sports

Austin Aune is a 6-2, 180-pound Pro-Style Quarterback from Argyle, TX. He is ranked No. 703 in the country by 247Sports.

https://247sports.com/player/austin-aune-278

woodrow hog call

Couple of interesting articles on him, looks like an absolute steal, love to have former Short Stops playing QB, they know how to get the ball out in a hurry. I know he converted to the OF in the Yanks minor league but drafted as a SS.

These are the kind of things that happen to other schools, now they are happening to us! Full Tilt Boogie, on.

Baseball America's Jim Callis reported that Aune was given a flat, $1 million bonus to sign off on a future in baseball and not football, which he had long planned to play for the Horned Frogs. TCU was eager to work the state champion, pro-style quarterback into the mix as soon as he was ready, hoping to integrate the 6-foot-2, 190-pounder's leadership skills into a program which will enter the Big 12 at a gallop and hope to build off its recent success that includes a Rose Bowl victory to cap the 2010-11 seaso

The New York Yankees have released outfielder Austin Aune from his minor-league contract. The move was announced Tuesday by the Class-A Advanced Tampa Yankees, where Aune had been playing.
Aune, 23, was the Yankees' second-round pick in 2012 out of Argyle (Texas) High School, and over six seasons in the organization, he hit .226 with 20 homers and 148 RBI in 387 games across four levels. This season, his second with the T-Yanks, Aune hit .154 with two home runs and six RBI in 51 games.

He was originally drafted as a shortstop and played there in 2012 before moving to the outfield, and his two seasons in Tampa represented his high-water mark on the organizational ladder.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

He played for Argyle, TX which means he was a teammate of Cole Hedlund. Interesting
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HawgSZN

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 21, 2019, 01:13:05 pm
Damn. you say his name he pops up.  This guy is legend status

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 22, 2018, 01:43:44 pm
He played for Argyle, TX which means he was a teammate of Cole Hedlund. Interesting

Didn't catch that, is he a couple years older than Cole? He was a 2012 grad.

netteltonhog

Maturity means a lot.  Especially at Quarterback. 

TexHog188

Read somewhere else that he had a 93 mph caliber arm from the outfield.  Nothing but upside to have him on campus, competing.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

steveaustin69

Adding a Heisman trophy winner and best statistical passer in CFB history caliber player can't be a bad thing.

Go HOGS Go !

I hope we finally hear the story behind the story of how he got to Arkansas.  Not likely many programs out there that wouldn't take a walk on with his past history.  No real downside here.  It would be interesting to know what the staff is thinking.  Makes me wonder if they believe he may be needed right away.

howie76

Competition is always good to have

hogsanity

Quote from: lahawg1 on January 22, 2018, 01:35:17 pm
I'm betting not, from 24/7 sports

Austin Aune is a 6-2, 180-pound Pro-Style Quarterback from Argyle, TX. He is ranked No. 703 in the country by 247Sports.

https://247sports.com/player/austin-aune-278

Were those his measurables his SR season is HS? He is now 6 yrs older and has been playing pro baseball so I am guessing he is a little heavier, but in pretty darn good shape.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2018, 02:48:03 pm
Were those his measurables his SR season is HS? He is now 6 yrs older and has been playing pro baseball so I am guessing he is a little heavier, but in pretty darn good shape.
He's also not been playing QB for 6 years.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 22, 2018, 01:50:18 pm
He's old, hopefully no arthritis or blood pressure problems

Nice post...  +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hogsanity

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 22, 2018, 02:50:30 pm

Chris Weinke didn't enroll at FSU until he was 26, hadn't played Qb in almost 8 years.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

k.c.hawg

He was looking pretty stout in 2016.

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 22, 2018, 02:12:39 pm
The more pressing matter is whether or not he will ever touch the field.

I'm sure he'll be allowed to touch it..................but play on it might be a different matter.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

parallaxpig

Quote from: TexHog188 on January 22, 2018, 02:04:56 pm
Read somewhere else that he had a 93 mph caliber arm from the outfield.  Nothing but upside to have him on campus, competing.

This...........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Hogarusa

To answer the question- not expecting him to be our Baker Mayfield. Thats an unrealistic expectation.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

GO

[quote}I'm sure he'll be allowed to touch it..................but play on it might be a different matter.
[/quote] If he touches it to much is that considered playing on it? :)

lamont7906

He's an athlete so never know what can be the outcome, as someone posted his speed if it's true that's always a plus. Possibility of being mature due to his age is also a plus. 

HogShat

Has a history with Traylor. Played in the same conference as Gilmer where Traylor coached.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 22, 2018, 02:50:30 pm

Not to worry, Grizz.  Playing QB is like whacking off.  Once you learn how, you never forget.  ;)

WJBilly

Quote from: GO on January 22, 2018, 03:25:28 pm
[quote}I'm sure he'll be allowed to touch it..................but play on it might be a different matter.
If he touches it to much is that considered playing on it? :)
I think it would be considered playing with it. ;)

Hawgphat

I'd really like to see him have a wide-open shot at competing for the QB slot - - or even for a alternate position.  What could it hurt to try the experiment?  I truly hope that he gets a shot.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Hawgphat on January 22, 2018, 04:50:54 pm
I'd really like to see him have a wide-open shot at competing for the QB slot - - or even for a alternate position.  What could it hurt to try the experiment?  I truly hope that he gets a shot.

If they were not going to let him try out at QB, they would have told him that, and he would probably go on to another school. There is not a position on this team that is not up for grabs right now.

On top of everything else the "EVIL EMPIRE"  has to pay for his schooling here, and after what they have done to us in the draft in recent years, they owe us big time.

younghog

How old is this kid?
GO HOGS

Hawgphat

Quote from: younghog on January 22, 2018, 05:19:04 pm
How old is this kid?

According to the earlier posts in this thread, he graduated high school in 2012.  Assuming that statistic is correct, my third grade arithmetic indicates that he would now be in the neighborhood of 24 years of age.  Someone please verify his current age for us.

Uberanubis

Quote from: woodrow hog call on January 22, 2018, 01:37:44 pm
Couple of interesting articles on him, looks like an absolute steal, love to have former Short Stops playing QB, they know how to get the ball out in a hurry. I know he converted to the OF in the Yanks minor league but drafted as a SS.

These are the kind of things that happen to other schools, now they are happening to us! Full Tilt Boogie, on.

Baseball America's Jim Callis reported that Aune was given a flat, $1 million bonus to sign off on a future in baseball and not football, which he had long planned to play for the Horned Frogs. TCU was eager to work the state champion, pro-style quarterback into the mix as soon as he was ready, hoping to integrate the 6-foot-2, 190-pounder's leadership skills into a program which will enter the Big 12 at a gallop and hope to build off its recent success that includes a Rose Bowl victory to cap the 2010-11 seaso

The New York Yankees have released outfielder Austin Aune from his minor-league contract. The move was announced Tuesday by the Class-A Advanced Tampa Yankees, where Aune had been playing.
Aune, 23, was the Yankees' second-round pick in 2012 out of Argyle (Texas) High School, and over six seasons in the organization, he hit .226 with 20 homers and 148 RBI in 387 games across four levels. This season, his second with the T-Yanks, Aune hit .154 with two home runs and six RBI in 51 games.

He was originally drafted as a shortstop and played there in 2012 before moving to the outfield, and his two seasons in Tampa represented his high-water mark on the organizational ladder.

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

titsonboar

Put him in the bullpen as well-Go Hogs

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PigPusher

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 22, 2018, 01:50:18 pm
He's old, hopefully no arthritis or blood pressure problems

Don't forget forgetfulness, achy knees, bad hips, blurry vision, crankiness, etc. Other than that he should be good to go.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

MissippHog

If he doesn't work out at QB we could always just stick him at LB, right?

stahawg

He will be 25 in the fall. WPS!

DeltaBoy

Saw him play on TV down here in the State Playoffs He seems to be a solid kid.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GO on January 22, 2018, 03:25:28 pm
If he touches it to much is that considered playing on it? :)

No touching allowed then. Makes you go blind.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SamBuckhart

Good time to be a walk on QB with new coach.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: titsonboar on January 22, 2018, 11:08:29 pm
Put him in the bullpen as well-Go Hogs

He can't play college baseball since he played pro ball.

Razorbackers

I'd gladly take the next Brandon Weeden.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hawgphat on January 22, 2018, 05:31:12 pm
According to the earlier posts in this thread, he graduated high school in 2012.  Assuming that statistic is correct, my third grade arithmetic indicates that he would now be in the neighborhood of 24 years of age.  Someone please verify his current age for us.

According to MiLB (link) he was born September 6, 1993, which would make him 24 years, 4 months, 17 days old as of the date of me posting this.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2018, 03:02:43 pm
Chris Weinke didn't enroll at FSU until he was 26, hadn't played Qb in almost 8 years.
Well there you go.  We have Chris Weinke.  What do you think is more likely?  that this guy is another Chris Weinke or that just maybe his football skills have deteriorated.

Johnny Bobo

Could this be our Baker Mayfield without the off field problems?

Yes. He's the second coming of Baker Mayfield. Spot on.

hogsanity

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 23, 2018, 11:00:52 am
Well there you go.  We have Chris Weinke.  What do you think is more likely?  that this guy is another Chris Weinke or that just maybe his football skills have deteriorated.

I was only using Weinke as an age comparison, in that someone that old or older played baseball for several years then went back to college and played football. I was not saying he is anything like Weinke on the field.

Hawgphat

24 years old is not "ancient".  A little maturity (IF indeed he has matured in the past 6 years) could be a definite plus.

DoctorSusscrofa

I'd really have to work on myself to cheer for an Austin from Texas.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

PorkSoda

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on January 23, 2018, 07:39:02 pm
I'm sure he will play on the scout team against the 1st string defense.  should be extra motivation to get the sack.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

liljo

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on January 23, 2018, 07:39:02 pm

::hornsdown:: ;D ::hornsdown::
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.