Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Position Battles

Started by MAGA45, January 16, 2018, 10:58:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MAGA45

For those that have the knowledge, any interesting battles that will be taking place for starting spots in the first couple weeks?  3B/1B? Outfield?  True Freshman that could take a starting spot?
Fake News

dotnet

I think you nailed the starting spots that are up for grabs.  The main freshmen that will have a chance to play are probably Bonin, Martin, Kjerstad, and Turney when healthy. 

If Kjerstad is half as good as a couple of posters said he was during the fall, then he is definitely starting.  I hope Turney isn't able to get in the lineup once healthy, because of what that means for the team, but I would have put him on the definitely starting (or not making it to campus list) if not injured.

There is a thread that shouldn't be too far down where a few people take a stab at an opening day lineup.

Kevin

3rd & 1st should be it.
outfield: cole, lee, fletcher
2nd base: shaddy
ss: biggers
c-koch
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dotnet

Quote from: Kevin on January 16, 2018, 01:21:36 pm
3rd & 1st should be it.
outfield: cole, lee, fletcher
2nd base: shaddy
ss: biggers
c-koch

And DH Bonfield. 

But if Kjerstad is as good as some people were saying, then something is going to give.  Maybe he, bonfield, or Lee play first?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

SPAL

Would anybody take Wernes at 3rd?

SPAL

DeltaHog66

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 16, 2018, 08:00:27 pm
Would anybody take Wernes at 3rd?

Absolutely.. loved watching him play.

southarkhog06

Quote from: dotnet on January 16, 2018, 05:23:04 pm
And DH Bonfield. 

But if Kjerstad is as good as some people were saying, then something is going to give.  Maybe he, bonfield, or Lee play first?
My guess is that he platoons with Lee in left, I figure Lee will get his share of innings on the mound.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

boaron

Veterans and depth everywhere.  Would someone do a rundown of the pitching, or point me to it, including incoming talent?

Jaxhog

I posted this on another board a few days ago.  Its not far off from what D1 Baseball wrote up about Arkansas yesterday on their subscription site.

Campbell looked to be a little more dominant than Knight last fall but I think experience gets Knight the nod as Friday starter.
My prediction is Murphy is the Sunday starter.  He missed the world series but looked good all fall. 
Lee and Rutledge as the mid week starters.  Lee is a draft eligible sophomore and since he projects as a pitcher at the next level, starting helps his draft status.  Additionally, if you pitch him on Tuesday, that allows the arm a few days rest before the weekend series starts.
Rutledge had two starts in the world series and i think based on comments was the top performing freshman in the fall.
Riendl was too valuable in the role he played last year.  He may get a start but without Kopps, someone has to be the long reliever.
Loeske I think is the wildcard.  If he can perform like he did his freshman year and the summer that followed that fills a major hole.
For closers I'm guessing Cronin and Bolden.  Cronin came in to close 3 of the 4 world series games.  I got the impression they were checking his durability and ability to recover. Bolden closed two games as well.
Kostyshock looked much improved and should be able to pitch quite a few innings. 
Bonnin showed flashes of very good pitching.  I think at least at the start he is a middle reliever until his control improves.
I think its not going to be until the 1st of February until we know about McKinney or Scroggins.  Neither pitched to a live batter in the fall so no one really knows what to expect until then.
D1 Baseball has Campbell, Knight, Murphy, Reindl, Scroggins, McKinney and lee as potential top 10 rounds draft choices.  I think Loeske belongs in that conversation as well. 

dotnet

Quote from: dotnet on January 16, 2018, 05:23:04 pm

On the D1Baseball podcast Kendall mentioned Kjerstad and that DVH said he could be a special player from day 1.  DVH usually doesn't talk about freshmen like that unless they really are special.  Not to national reporters or what not when there is so much other talent on the team. 

Kevin

dvh was on bo's show yesterday. I cannot get the audio to work

dotnet

Quote from: Kevin on January 19, 2018, 01:02:24 pm
dvh was on bo's show yesterday. I cannot get the audio to work

I was trying to find the interview.  Do you know where I can listen to it?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: DeltaHog66 on January 16, 2018, 09:36:22 pm
Absolutely.. loved watching him play.
You meant in the field right?

SPAL

hogwild04

With all the returners and depth, really think not many freshman will get a starting role,  maybe one.  Bonnin and Turney were the highest recruits in the nation to make it to campus, Turney was hurt, heard recovering well and taking BP and showing his power,, Bonnin struggled on mound at first , was working as a 2 way player, he went to a PO role for this season to concentrate on pitching, and he is hitting 96-97 and been pretty dang good since working full time on pitching and getting coaching,  really think he will be closer role this season and work into starting role next season,  With Eric Cole back from injury, Cole, Lee and Fletcher will be hard to beat out, Cole has been crushing it in the  scrimmages here lately,  kjerstad  will get time there and Turney some ABs, but don't know about starting, unless someone slumps are gets hurt  Pitching has so much depth with upper classman  Bonnin, Bolden, and Rutledge will get some closer roles, with mid innings relief maybe some mid week starts, they are the future 1,2,3 punch. If some one struggles or gets hurt then they will get a chance to step up.   We had the 3rd best recruiting class, and most all would be 3 to 4 year starters else where, they will contribute this year and most will be  2 to 3 year starters pending on who goes after their Jr year., its a great problem to have, only position I see up for a battle is 3rd, The Rest of the positions  will have returners playing in them, JMO

Mr.Gruntastic

Heard Turney played in the scrimmage today.  Wonder how far he's off from being 100%?