Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frank Martin..

Started by checkraiser88, January 17, 2018, 09:57:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: checkraiser88 on January 17, 2018, 10:09:24 pm
He took SC to the final 4..no thanks?

The SEC POTY got them there. Just saying...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Athog

Paul

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 20, 2018, 08:17:07 am
how far did Mike take us when we had the SEC  POTY?

Beaverfever

I'm watching Houston beat up on Wichita State right now and I'm impressed with how Houston plays.  Kelvin Sampson actually coaches the kind of defense that Mike claims to coach. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 20, 2018, 07:51:15 am
You are right but propping up mike with comparisons to heath and pelphrey? Mike Anderson so far has been the basketball equivalent of Houston Nutt. Mediocre coach but helluva cheerleader.

Let's compare MA to all of Hog basketball history.

Razorback basketball has had a total of 11 seasons of 25 or more wins beginning with the Sutton era. How many does MA have?

Let's compare Eddie Sutton's conference record in the Big XII because the SWC was pathetic. .630 conference win pct.

Nolan Richardson SEC win pct was .638.

MA win pct in SEC is .554.

Make of it what you will.

Tournament appearances as a comparison really are an apples to oranges comparison because selection criteria are so much different from even the Heath era. Heath made the tournament with a 13 loss team that played a pathetic noncon Schedule. Wouldn't cut it today.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 20, 2018, 11:55:53 am
I'm watching Houston beat up on Wichita State right now and I'm impressed with how Houston plays.  Kelvin Sampson actually coaches the kind of defense that Mike claims to coach.

Is Greg Marshall coaching?

PharmacistHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 20, 2018, 12:19:05 pm

Razorback basketball has had a total of 11 seasons of 25 or more wins beginning with the Sutton era. How many does MA have?

Let's compare Eddie Sutton's conference record in the Big XII because the SWC was pathetic. .630 conference win pct.

Tournament appearances as a comparison really are an apples to oranges comparison because selection criteria are so much different from even the Heath era. Heath made the tournament with a 13 loss team that played a pathetic noncon Schedule. Wouldn't cut it today.

Simple questions:

Are you happy with Mike Anderson's perfomance as a coach?
Are you satisfied with a tournament appearance every few years?
Do you think he will get us to a chance at a title?

I just am not satisfied. Hope he turns it around and shows me but 25 wins does nothing for me if it just leads to early exit.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

TennesseeRaz

In my family, I've got 1 D1 basketball player, 1 D1 soccer player, and two accomplished NAIA soccer players (who also love basketball).  None of them would ever consider playing for Frank Martin.  Coach with passion?  Yes.  But you also need to treat people with respect.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 20, 2018, 01:38:09 pm
Simple questions:

I just am not satisfied. Hope he turns it around and shows me but 25 wins does nothing for me if it just leads to early exit.

Only had 3 seasons with fewer than 10 losses too. Avg 22-11 career coach.  Good enough for some.  Not for others. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 20, 2018, 01:38:09 pm
Simple questions:

Eddie Sutton gave us zero chance for a title and people still love the guy. Greg Marshall will never win a title and you would pee yourself if he was coach here.

You aren't satisfied. I couldn't care less.

I'm disappointed any year we don't win it all, literally, and we have only accomplished that once in 100 years.

Given that this program was winning 30 something percent of it's conference games for a decade before MA became coach here, I am freaking elated that we have bucked that trend. I am smart enough to understand you don't go from being the 3rd worst program in the SEC for a decade to making deep tourney runs until you have purged the sickness of a culture of losing from your program, business, school, or any other endeavor you undertake in life where you have the misfortune of following negligent ineptness.

You don't have expectations. You are a child who thinks atm machines spit money out at your whim without an inkling of an idea about the hard work it took for someone to earn the money that is being withdrawn.

If you think a decade of losing BIG TIME, dwindling attendance, and being last in your conference in facilities is a recipe for success then you must be Guvhog's illegitimate son.

GuvHog

Your ignorance is amazing. The SWC was not pathetic as a basketball conference during Sutton's tenure, they were actually better than the big 8. During Sutton's tenure at Arkansas, the Hogs, Texas, and Houston all came close to winning national titles. Houston's famous "Phi Slamma Jamma" team was one of the greatest SWC teams to ever take the court with Akeem "The Dream" Olajuwan at Center.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

razorpimp

Again the SEC in Anderson's first 6 years was atrocious, horrible, disgusting, the worst P5 conference by far!!!!  So his crappy record looks even worse

Pork Twain

If you are old enough to have cheered for the Sutton and Richardson teams, and are happy with MA, there is something wrong with you.  He is very slightly better than Heath
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jjdlc

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 18, 2018, 07:42:27 am
My bet is Donovan will be the next coach at Louisville, if he leaves the NBA.

Beard would be an excellent hire. I also like Gregg McDermott, but don't know about his ability to recruit at a high level.

Probably right.  Donovan has been very critical of Arkansas for firing Pelphrey, which was a very much deserved firing.  I can not see him coming to Arkansas.

jjdlc

Quote from: razorpimp on January 21, 2018, 08:03:20 am
Again the SEC in Anderson's first 6 years was atrocious, horrible, disgusting, the worst P5 conference by far!!!!  So his crappy record looks even worse

The SEC last year was much better than people gave it credit for, it proved it in the tournament.  Now the previous 5 years yeah, your right.

CapitalCityHawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 21, 2018, 09:47:27 am
If you are old enough to have cheered for the Sutton and Richardson teams, and are happy with MA, there is something wrong with you.  He is very slightly better than Heath

Saying Mike is slightly better than Heath is just false.

Stan Heath
2002-2003: 9-19 Overall; 4-12 Conference
2003-2004: 12-16 Overall; 4-12 Conference
2004-2005: 18-12 Overall; 6-10 Conference
2005-2006: 22-10 Overall; 10-6 Conference
2006-2007: 21-14 Overall; 7-9 Conference

Stan's Total: 82-71 Overall (.536); 31-49 Conference (.388)

Mike Anderson
2011-2012: 18-14 Overall; 6-10 Conference
2012-2013: 19-13 Overall; 10-8 Conference
2013-2014: 22-12 Overall; 10-8 Conference
2014-2015: 27-9 Overall; 13-5 Conference
2015-2016: 16-16 Overall; 9-9 Conference
2016-2017: 26-10 Overall; 12-6 Conference

Mike's Total: 128-74 Overall (.633); 60-46 Conference (.566)

Mike's conference winning percentage is better than Stan's OVERALL winning percentage while at Arkansas

tusksincolorado

Quote from: GuvHog on January 21, 2018, 07:50:01 am
Your ignorance is amazing. The SWC was not pathetic as a basketball conference during Sutton's tenure, they were actually better than the big 8. During Sutton's tenure at Arkansas, the Hogs, Texas, and Houston all came close to winning national titles. Houston's famous "Phi Slamma Jamma" team was one of the greatest SWC teams to ever take the court with Akeem "The Dream" Olajuwan at Center.

Bliss...who I cant stand, had some fairly decent teams at SMU.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

901king

Quote from: Sho Nuff on January 17, 2018, 11:19:05 pm
Chris Beard would be an excellent hire.  I remember hearing that Texas Texh was his dream job, although I'm not sure that Lubbock could be anyone's dream destination.

Tech assistant for 10 years, from Texas, and his daughters live nearby.  Everyone has a different dream job.  Plus, he's got a Top 10 team playing in the best basketball conference.  Hard to leave that.

901king

Quote from: GuvHog on January 21, 2018, 07:50:01 am

You lost me at Texas came close to winning a National Title during Sutton's tenure.  They only made 2 tournaments during his tenure and won 1 tournament game.

Houston was a powerhouse during that time and without question the best team to not win the title.  The best Final Four game ever was Houston vs Louisville '83.

As a Memphis fan, I know all about Phi Slamma Jamma.  They ended our season twice in the Sweet 16 in 83 and 84, highlighted by Clyde Drexler dunking over Andre Turner.   Not dunking on, jumping OVER the 5'10 guard to dunk. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: 901king on January 21, 2018, 01:10:14 pm
You lost me at Texas came close to winning a National Title during Sutton's tenure.  They only made 2 tournaments during his tenure and won 1 tournament game.

Houston was a powerhouse during that time and without question the best team to not win the title.  The best Final Four game ever was Houston vs Louisville '83.

As a Memphis fan, I know all about Phi Slamma Jamma.  They ended our season twice in the Sweet 16 in 83 and 84, highlighted by Clyde Drexler dunking over Andre Turner.   Not dunking on, jumping OVER the 5'10 guard to dunk.
Louisville still haunting you after all these years?  Try North Carolina State  ;)

Pork Twain

Quote from: CapitalCityHawg on January 21, 2018, 09:56:34 am
Saying Mike is slightly better than Heath is just false.

Stan Heath
2002-2003: 9-19 Overall; 4-12 Conference
2003-2004: 12-16 Overall; 4-12 Conference
2004-2005: 18-12 Overall; 6-10 Conference
2005-2006: 22-10 Overall; 10-6 Conference
2006-2007: 21-14 Overall; 7-9 Conference

Stan's Total: 82-71 Overall (.536); 31-49 Conference (.388)

Mike Anderson
2011-2012: 18-14 Overall; 6-10 Conference
2012-2013: 19-13 Overall; 10-8 Conference
2013-2014: 22-12 Overall; 10-8 Conference
2014-2015: 27-9 Overall; 13-5 Conference
2015-2016: 16-16 Overall; 9-9 Conference
2016-2017: 26-10 Overall; 12-6 Conference

Mike's Total: 128-74 Overall (.633); 60-46 Conference (.566)

Mike's conference winning percentage is better than Stan's OVERALL winning percentage while at Arkansas
Results are slightly better
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 20, 2018, 08:17:07 am

Funny, when the Hogs had the SECPOTY they got all the way to the round of 32. Last yr with the pre season SECPOTY they got all the way to the round of 32. SC has the POTY and they get to the final 4.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Nickle-Pig

his record at SC .625% Mikes is .658% at Ark

Guess he is a good coach also
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

GuvHog

Quote from: Nickle-Pig on January 22, 2018, 08:57:30 am

When one realizes that Frank Martin inherited a far bigger dumpster fire at SC than Mike inherited at Arkansas and his been at SC one less year than Mike has been at Arkansas, Frank's record there is pretty impressive seeing that it also includes a trip to the NCAA Final Four.

hogsanity

Quote from: Nickle-Pig on January 22, 2018, 08:57:30 am

Like it or not, and most Mike backers do not like it, the measure of a successful coach/program in college basketball is what do you do in the ncaat. The monster that is March madness has consumed the college regular season to a large extent. All that matters in the regular season is doing enough to get into the NCAAT. Then, once you get there, how many games do you win.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgball40

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 09:08:08 am
When one realizes that Frank Martin inherited a far bigger dumpster fire at SC than Mike inherited at Arkansas and his been at SC one less year than Mike has been at Arkansas, Frank's record there is pretty impressive seeing that it also includes a trip to the NCAA Final Four.
If you ask us to consider that, then we must ask you to also consider the talent disparity on the respective rosters, Guv. you also need to relive that run by SC and realize how incredibly lucky they got in that tourney run. they could have easily been bounced in the second round. their final four run was as improbable as it was remarkable.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 22, 2018, 09:19:24 am
If you ask us to consider that, then we must ask you to also consider the talent disparity on the respective rosters, Guv. you also need to relive that run by SC and realize how incredibly lucky they got in that tourney run. they could have easily been bounced in the second round. their final four run was as improbable as it was remarkable.

But they made that run, as improbable as it was. That happens all the time in the NCAAT. And 86% or more of college basketball fans do not care about the why, all they know is a team made that run.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 22, 2018, 09:19:24 am

Where a team is seeded in the tournament has a great deal to do with it. They got a high seed and took advantage of that by playing very well during the Tournament. Remember, the teams they beat weren't pushovers by any stretch of the imagination. The Gamecocks earned their way to the Final Four by winning games against good teams. Remember, they had one of the best playmaker guards in the country on that team, Sindarius Thornwell.

hawgball40

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 09:25:09 am
Where a team is seeded in the tournament has a great deal to do with it. They got a high seed and took advantage of that by playing very well during the Tournament. Remember, the teams they beat weren't pushovers by any stretch of the imagination. The Gamecocks earned their way to the Final Four by winning games against good teams. Remember, they had one of the best playmaker guards in the country on that team, Sindarius Thornwell.
You ignore my point about talent and i know why. The gamecocks have more talent than we do. And the reason isn't the coach. the reason can be counted and makes a crisp sound while doing so if you get my drift. he was a hotstep from having kstate on probation. people forget. dude is shady as Frank. no thanks. i want a coach who wins with integrity. absolutely 0 cheating.

Nickle-Pig

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2018, 09:11:17 am
Like it or not, and most Mike backers do not like it, the measure of a successful coach/program in college basketball is what do you do in the ncaat. The monster that is March madness has consumed the college regular season to a large extent. All that matters in the regular season is doing enough to get into the NCAAT. Then, once you get there, how many games do you win.

I'm not most people. That is for sure.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 22, 2018, 09:36:44 am
You ignore my point about talent and i know why. The gamecocks have more talent than we do. And the reason isn't the coach. the reason can be counted and makes a crisp sound while doing so if you get my drift. he was a hotstep from having kstate on probation. people forget. dude is shady as Frank. no thanks. i want a coach who wins with integrity. absolutely 0 cheating.

That's strictly your opinion. There has been nothing to indicate that Frank is shady. The Gamecocks have not been in danger of an NCAA investigation during his tenure.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 10:00:26 am
That's strictly your opinion. There has been nothing to indicate that Frank is shady. The Gamecocks have not been in danger of an NCAA investigation during his tenure.

The assistant at OK St that is in the FBI case malfeasance occurred while an assistant at South Carolina.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 22, 2018, 10:06:16 am
The assistant at OK St that is in the FBI case malfeasance occurred while an assistant at South Carolina.

Which is why he's not an assistant at SC anymore.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 22, 2018, 09:36:44 am

Ah yes, yet again the only reason a team is better than the Hogs or has more talent, is because of buying players. Just like the only reason the Hogs lose on the court is because of the refs.

draftkings33

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2018, 11:07:23 am
Ah yes, yet again the only reason a team is better than the Hogs or has more talent, is because of buying players. Just like the only reason the Hogs lose on the court is because of the refs.
Most years Anderson's teams are gonna be better than Franks.  FACT.  You know kind of like this year.....

razorpimp

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 22, 2018, 01:43:43 pm
Most years Anderson's teams are gonna be better than Franks.  FACT.  You know kind of like this year.....

No, I would say equal

And that K State and USC would be equal to Arkansas is all you have to know about Anderson tenure at Arkansas

razorhead94

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2018, 08:39:44 am
Funny, when the Hogs had the SECPOTY they got all the way to the round of 32. Last yr with the pre season SECPOTY they got all the way to the round of 32. SC has the POTY and they get to the final 4.

And funny that Final Four Team lost at home to the Hogs but I guess that shouldn't count for anything.  Are you going to give credit to the coach or the players on that one?

I'll give SC credit on their run in the tournament.  It was pretty amazing however you can't just overlook the match ups you receive in the tournament as well as the tournament sites.  It was nice for a seed like SC to play in their backyard.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

hogsanity

Quote from: razorhead94 on January 22, 2018, 02:16:50 pm
And funny that Final Four Team lost at home to the Hogs but I guess that shouldn't count for anything.  Are you going to give credit to the coach or the players on that one?

What should it count for? I mean in Portis Fr season the Hogs beat KY at home AND at Rupp. KY went to the final4, Hogs went to the NIT. Wins in games like those mean little if you are also losing to teams like Vandy at home or last years Mizzu team anywhere or getting beaten by 30+ at a sos so OSU.

razorhead94

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2018, 02:20:04 pm
What should it count for? I mean in Portis Fr season the Hogs beat KY at home AND at Rupp. KY went to the final4, Hogs went to the NIT. Wins in games like those mean little if you are also losing to teams like Vandy at home or last years Mizzu team anywhere or getting beaten by 30+ at a sos so OSU.

I'm talking about SECPOTY and last year and comparing the two teams/coaches which was the whole point of this thread.  If you want to bring up different topics/scenarios from other seasons that's fine.

hogsanity

Quote from: razorhead94 on January 22, 2018, 03:01:15 pm
I'm talking about SECPOTY and last year and comparing the two teams/coaches which was the whole point of this thread.  If you want to bring up different topics/scenarios from other seasons that's fine.

Ok, Ar beat SC at SC, Ark saw their season end on the 1st weekend of the ncaat, SC played in the Final 4, so what did beating them at SC get the Hogs?

I mean the Braves beat the Dodgers twice last season, so what, the Dodgers made the WS and the Braves were eliminated in August ( or so it seemed ).

razorhead94

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2018, 03:06:47 pm
Ok, Ar beat SC at SC, Ark saw their season end on the 1st weekend of the ncaat, SC played in the Final 4, so what did beating them at SC get the Hogs?

I mean the Braves beat the Dodgers twice last season, so what, the Dodgers made the WS and the Braves were eliminated in August ( or so it seemed ).

Helped get them into the NCAA Tournament which is the goal.  They lost to eventual champ UNC in the second round.  You want more?  Absolutely, so do I but you play what's put in front of you.

hawgball40

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 10:00:26 am
Michael Beasley says hi

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 10:09:29 am
Which is why he's not an assistant at SC anymore.

He didn't get fired or asked to leave.

Martin was KNOWN to be dirty while a high school coach. Fact

PORKULATOR

Some of you aren't happy unless we're firing someone and starting over. Idiots
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 23, 2018, 10:12:51 am
Michael Beasley says hi

Was Beasley at SC when Martin was there?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: tusksincolorado on January 21, 2018, 12:32:24 pm
Bliss...who I cant stand, had some fairly decent teams at SMU.

2 seasons. SMU was above average for 2 seasons.

Rice, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, SMU, and A&M all SUCKED. Texas SUCKED most of the time. Houston was good.

That was the SWC like it or not. It had 12 wins built in most years.

If you were old enough to remember watching Sutton you would know this.

99toLife

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2018, 03:06:47 pm

Exactly:

NFL: The Chiefs beat both the Patriots and the Eagles this year and they are playing in the Superbowl.

Chiefs laid a turd and out in the first round of the playoffs.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 23, 2018, 10:42:24 am
Was Beasley at SC when Martin was there?

Kansas St. Dirty is dirty regardless of location. PJ Dozier is one of the guys the dirty assistant is linked with.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 23, 2018, 10:38:11 am
He didn’t get fired or asked to leave.

Martin was KNOWN to be dirty while a high school coach. Fact

WRONG. He was privately asked to leave. It was made to look as if he accepted another job and chose to leave.