Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What would the purse need to look like to attract a coach of Malazahns caliber?

Started by Sourpuss, November 17, 2017, 01:42:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sourpuss

I'll bet he won't budge for less than $5 large.  May be playing us. Been done before. 

SquidBilly

We should not give him $5 million dollars.  Plenty of other good options could be had for less.

007 License To Squeal

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

PorkSoda

Quote from: Bret Squealema on November 17, 2017, 01:43:43 pm
We should not give him $5 million dollars.  Plenty of other good options could be had for less.
it would take 6 minimum IMO.  he ain't leaving a contender for pocket change.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

GuvHog

Anything over 5 Million a year is insanely stupid. He isn't worth that much.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PorkSoda

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 01:46:30 pm
Anything over 5 Million a year is insanely stupid. He isn't worth that much.
do you want to win?

Saban - 11.1
Dabo - 8.5
harbaugh 7.0
urban 6.4

if we want to be in the same sentence with those teams like auburn is about to be.

we gotta put malzahn in the same tax bracket.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Sourpuss

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 01:46:05 pm
it would take 6 minimum IMO.  he ain't leaving a contender for pocket change.
kind of my thinking.  Aubbie is a known quantity.  Makes it hard to believe.  He does have family here so that makes it more believable.  Does anyone in the know, know for certain if he is renting or if he has purchased a home there.  Just one more little tidbit that might end up figuring in to all this.  His wife has family too I'm told and wants to come back.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 01:47:23 pm
do you want to win?

Yes, but he isn't worth 5 Million a year. Norvell or Venables would be just as good at 4.5 Million a year.

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 01:49:39 pm
Yes, but he isn't worth 5 Million a year. Norvell or Venables would be just as good at 4.5 Million a year.

Tell me how Norvell would be just as good?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Sourpuss

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 01:46:58 pm
he already makes 4.7 and will likely get a raise after this year.
but is $4.7 the same there as it is here.  I don't know how $4.7 million would stretch there compared to here where you could live really really well.  What is the cost of living there v NWA?

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 01:49:39 pm
lol, gus isn't worth 5 but a complete unknown is worth 4.5?

like I said, if we want to win and we want gus then its going to take putting his salary up there with urban and harbough

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 01:52:15 pm

lulz.  like I said, if we want to win and we want gus then its going to take putting his salary up there with urban and harbough

Exactly.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jgphillips3

Sourpuss

I think/suspect 4.5 here might feel like 5 there would have felt if he had taken the 💰.

AFWarrior83

I'm hoping he'd take $4.5M. Money is great, but supposedly Mrs. Malzhn wants out of Auburn. Happy wife, happy life. Arkansas has money, but paying more than that is just unreasonable since we aren't and never will never be a top tier football program in the SEC. I think Gus can average 8-9 wins here, and I'm ok with that, but not for an outrageous price tag.
Hogville member since 2005.

PorkRinds

We should just agree to not kick his arse out of Fayetteville when he fails. That should be payment enough.

Hawginj

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 01:51:07 pm
He would be better its not hard to comprehended its in numerous threads all over this site.

ipigsooie

No way we offer norvell 4.5. He would get around 3.   If he wins he gets a raise.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 01:52:15 pm

like I said, if we want to win and we want gus then its going to take putting his salary up there with urban and harbough

They aren't unknowns. Both Venables and Norvell will be hot commodities this year.

Now both Swinney and Bob Stoops are easily worth that and a lot more but not Gus.

Hawginj

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on November 17, 2017, 01:55:19 pm
I'm hoping he'd take $4.5M. Money is great, but supposedly Mrs. Malzhn wants out of Auburn. Happy wife, happy life. Arkansas has money, but paying more than that is just unreasonable since we aren't and never will never be a top tier football program in the SEC. I think Gus can average 8-9 wins here, and I'm ok with that, but not for an outrageous price tag.
more like 7-8 wins if we are lucky

PorkSoda

so you think he would take a pay cut and leave a championship caliber program? lol, we either want to win and we pay him 6.5 to make it happen, or we want to play it conservative and we pay norvell 2.5 - 3 (he is making 1.8 right now).

GuvHog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 17, 2017, 01:56:51 pm
No way we offer norvell 4.5. He would get around 3.   If he wins he gets a raise.

Actually more like 4 Million a year. The 4.5 Million figure I used was a bit high.

Cotton

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 01:47:23 pm
do you want to win?

Saban - 11.1
Dabo - 8.5
harbaugh 7.0
urban 6.4

if we want to be in the same sentence with those teams like auburn is about to be.

we gotta put malzahn in the same tax bracket.
People want a steak dinner at dollar menu prices.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Sourpuss

I think that to entice a Malzahn type coach, it may take kind of a group effort.  We may all have to absorb a little bit of the burden.  Remember in Clint Eastwoods "High Plains Drifter" how the town,as a whole, capitulated and he had his run of the place?  How much would that be worth!?  Never pays a bill at a restaurant or for a round of golf, or cigars.  This would never fly in Alabama because of too many Bama fans but it is something that we, a humble state could offer.  Just food for thought.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 01:57:28 pm
so you think he would take a pay cut and leave a championship caliber program? lol, we either want to win and we pay him 6.5 to make it happen, or we want to play it conservative and we pay norvell 2.5 - 3 (he is making 1.8 right now).

I just don't see the U of A offering Gus anywhere near 6.5 Million a year when they can get Norvell for maybe 4 Million a year. They won't get a good coach for much less than that.

GuvHog

Quote from: Cotton on November 17, 2017, 02:02:17 pm
People want a steak dinner at dollar menu prices.

If Malzahn was as good as those coaches he listed, he would be worth the money but he isn't as good as those coaches.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Hawginj on November 17, 2017, 01:56:07 pm
He would be better its not hard to comprehended its in numerous threads all over this site.

This is rich in substance and insights. Thank you.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

The OTR

If we give him too much money he's gonna start eatin' like there's no tomorrow and then he's gonna start hanging out the fabled Ben's apartment and the next thing you know he's gonna be hung up on lobsters and expensive Amish jellies and we can see where that got us. 

Keep the salary small.  Let Alabam beat them first. That will lower his price tag.  If he wins he ain't coming here anyway.  Roll the dice on him losing.

That's how I'm gonna play it at least.

Skandar Jackson
Future AD

The Hawg Marshal

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 02:06:57 pm
I just don't see the U of A offering Gus anywhere near 6.5 Million a year when they can get Norvell for maybe 4 Million a year. They won't get a good coach for much less than that.
I don't know if we have that kind of money either, especially now that we made a significant long term commitment to the stadium renovation.  but if we want him, that is what they will need to offer to get his attention. 

Hogindasticks

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 02:11:59 pm
If Malzahn was as good as those coaches he listed, he would be worth the money but he isn't as good as those coaches.
lol, he just beat #1 georgia, already has won 1 championship and got to another.  if he wins the iron bowl / SECCG he will be in the play offs again.

but yeah, he isn't that good of a coach.

Hawginj

but...but.. But I thought he hated Auburn and Arkansas was his dream job? I thought he wasn't just coming here for lower expectations? Damn right he'll take a pay cut or stay where he's at.

Hawginj

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 02:17:13 pm
lol, he just beat #1 georgia, already has won 1 championship and got to another.  if he wins the iron bowl / SECCG he will be in the play offs again.

everyone knows #1 is and was Alabama sice game 1 of 2017 lol over rated Georgia who's played no one lol.

AFWarrior83

For less job stress and a happy wife, yes.
Hogville member since 2005.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 02:17:13 pm

No, he's not. He isn't the caliber of coach that those that were listed are.

Boardon Hamsay

Are we looking for a "man purse" for Gus or something more "long term transition"-esque?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

BartIV

Quote from: Hawginj on November 17, 2017, 01:56:07 pm
I agree, you need to let us know why he is the better hire. Just saying he is, don't mean much. Right now you are not even fake news, you are no news.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 02:20:22 pm
No, he's not. He isn't the caliber of coach that those that were listed are.
okay guv.  whatever you say. 

maybe gus gets blown out by bama and auburn ends up in some crappy bowl and they fire gus and we get him on the cheap.

or maybe he wins the iron bowl, beats georgia again, and goes to the play off.

that will put him in the same sentence with dabo and saban

oh and his team is already ranked higher than harbough and urban.

but in guv world he isn't a good coach lol.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 02:25:27 pm
okay guv.  whatever you say. 

maybe gus gets blown out by bama and auburn ends up in some crappy bowl and they fire gus and we get him on the cheap.

or maybe he wins the iron bowl, beats georgia again, and goes to the play off.

that will put him in the same sentence with dabo and saban

oh and his team is already ranked higher than harbough and urban.

but in guv world he isn't a good coach lol.

He's a good coach but not as good as the other ones listed. Look at his record the last 4 years.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

greenie

If it comes to it, Norvell shouldn't sniff a $4M offer from anyone. He's been a HC at Memphis for 2 years. His resume isn't a third of what Bielema's was when we hired him, yet people are convinced he's a proven winner and worth proven money. I like the guy, but he's a bigger risk than CBB was, and the risk gets inflated in proportion to the salary.

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 02:27:54 pm
He's a good coach but not as good as the other ones listed. Look at his record the last 4 years.
sure okay whatever you say, the iron bowl will tell the tale. 

Hawginj

Quote from: BartIV on November 17, 2017, 02:22:09 pm
I agree, you need to let us know why he is the better hire. Just saying he is, don't mean much. Right now you are not even fake news, you are no news.
I've stated it on countless threads and I'm done repeating myself. Read is the best thing I can tell you tons of actual comparisons, stats, and info.

code red

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 01:51:07 pm
Agreed.  Proven winners in top conferences...ie Petrino and Mahlzan.  Spare me the CBB at wiskey crap.  He coached in a crap conference.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hogindasticks

You cant look at record for a coach in the SEC West...my goodness.....playing NFL teams every day ...records are not going to look at good period...nature of the beast.