Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach before AD...

Started by twistitup, November 17, 2017, 12:14:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

I think there is a method behind the madness.

Firing the AD and allowing the football coach to be hired by the board is a power move by the money folks. After the hire is made we find an A.D. that approves of the hire and we roll on.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Bkhardicars

Just can't imagine a coach taking the job not knowing who his boss will be.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Bkhardicars on November 17, 2017, 07:45:27 pm

If a coach has say in who the boss is, it might actually make him more likely to take the job.

I know if I could pick my own boss, I would do it.

Pecos Hog

It was a coup.   Arkansas took their program back.

Albert Einswine

If the BOT hires the coach he already knows who his boss is.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: twistitup on November 17, 2017, 12:14:07 pm

Firing the AD and allowing the football coach to be hired by the board is a power move by the money folks. After the hire is made we find an A.D. that approves of the hire and we roll on.

I think that will be a tough sell to a coach who has options.  A we are showing him that his new AD, whoever that may be doesn't have any real power and he will be beholden to the whims of a BOT and the money folks who may fire him on a whim. That seems like a distinct disadvantage.  What's the point of picking your boss if you know he has no real power to do anything and your real boss is a BOT who is controlled by boosters with a lot of money who may make any kind of off the wall decision.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 17, 2017, 08:01:20 pm
If the BOT hires the coach he already knows who his boss is.
my  thoughts exactly.

and it also frees the new AD from the responsibility of making the hire.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 17, 2017, 08:03:10 pm
I think that will be a tough sell to a coach who has options.  A we are showing him that his new AD, whoever that may be doesn't have any real power and he will be beholden to the whims of a BOT and the money folks who may fire him on a whim. That seems like a distinct disadvantage.  What's the point of picking your boss if you know he has no real power to do anything and your real boss is a BOT who is controlled by boosters with a lot of money who may make any kind of off the wall decision.

That's Auburn.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Pecos Hog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 17, 2017, 08:03:10 pm

Your reading too much into it.   Simple actually.   The BOT and Chancellor are just re-defining the expectations for the program.   With JL it had drifted far over the lines.  I imagine they gave Jeff a choice - and he made the wrong one and paid the price.    JL lost the fans and the big boosters, and that is unacceptable.   

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 17, 2017, 08:08:29 pm
Your reading too much into it.   Simple actually.   The BOT and Chancellor are just re-defining the expectations for the program.   With JL it had drifted far over the lines.  I imagine they gave Jeff a choice - and he made the wrong one and paid the price.    JL lost the fans and the big boosters, and that is unacceptable.   

I don't see how any of that will matter to a potential coach who wants to know who his AD will be.  We'll be able to pay about what anyone else can pay, if youare deciding between two schools one with an established well known AD with a track record you can review, or a BOT who just fired an AD that no matter what was thought of him here, was nationally respected, who promises you can help pick and AD to be your boss.  I don't see how someone who has options would choose the BOT over an established AD.

huntindoc

A coaches boss is ultimately the Chancellor. If Steinmetz convinces any candidate that he has his back it's a moot point whether we have the AD hire in place.

Großer Kriegschwein

Unless it's Gus.

He knows who all the boosters and administrators are. The athletic director would just be a bean counter.
This is my non-signature signature.

jcbville

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 17, 2017, 08:01:12 pm
It was a coup.   Arkansas took their program back.

Or sunk it more completely...

We shall see

hog911

very true

parallaxpig

Recipe for disaster, but when it comes to Arkansas football whats a little controversy....
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Hogwarrior

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 18, 2017, 07:35:53 am
Recipe for disaster, but when it comes to Arkansas football whats a little controversy....

I think everyone is making too big a deal out of all of this.  The AD is not the end all be all in college sports at any program.  Coaches at this level know who they must satisfy and that's the BOT/BOR and big donors.  The AD is just a link in the chain of command.  Think about it, who is most important to your success, your boss or your bosses boss?  That way you are good to go no matter who your boss is.  This AD thing is no big deal.  I guarantee you that Steinmetz and the UA has already hired a professional search firm (not a bunch of former players) and the feelers are our for the new coach.  Pro search firms are a big trend among P5 schools in both BB and FB nowadays.  Just the way they conduct business now, plus it gives the AD plausible deniability if the coach fails.

HawgWild

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 07:47:22 pm
If a coach has say in who the boss is, it might actually make him more likely to take the job.

I know if I could pick my own boss, I would do it.

Conversely, wouldn't you want a say, if possible, on employees that you would be supervising?

Hogwarrior

Everyone is making to big a deal out of all of this.  The attached article should help you all sleep better!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-coach-search-firms-are-they-worth-the-money/amp/

Con el Cerdos

Probably right if the coach is a loser.

But an AD at a strong school with a strong program, in this case football, generally will lose any pissing match with a successful, established coach.  Especially in the SEC and maybe in other P-5 leagues.

Successful coaches are a lot harder to find than ADs.

Hogfanluvskiddies

Quote from: twistitup on November 17, 2017, 12:14:07 pm

88% chance Bert is coaching the razorbacks next year.

King Kong

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 18, 2017, 08:39:42 am
Everyone is making to big a deal out of all of this.  The attached article should help you all sleep better!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-coach-search-firms-are-they-worth-the-money/amp/

We ended up with John Pelphery. UT ended with Derek Dooley.

No I will not sleep better unless the search firm is just for background checks.