Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like Chip Kelley to Florida

Started by bigpigpimpin, November 13, 2017, 09:16:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellon Collie

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 13, 2017, 09:31:32 pm
Good luck Florida. We will see how CK does in the SEC if they get him.

I would venture to guess quite well.  Chip made his name at Oregon by reaping the benefits of California talent and speed.  The state of Florida has that in droves.  Luckily they are in the SECe.

ATU HOG

Would be a great hire.  Within the next 2-3 years the East may be every bit as top heavy as the West depending on who is hired.

shown006

Hogs need Florida and Tennessee to be good again.  They are LSU's and Bama's permanent East opponents, respectively.
WPS!

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: BILLYBOB on November 14, 2017, 05:27:31 am
A great move by the Gators. CCK built a perennial championship contender in a place that is extremely hard to recruit, with absolutely no tradition, money, or facilities.  Florida is arguably the most fertile recruiting state in the country...and has deep tradition, lots of money, and incredible facilities. Plus, most of Kelly's salary is still being paid by the 49er's.

Money or facilities?  Maybe Google "Phil Knight" or "Nike".  See what pops up. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on November 14, 2017, 07:51:10 am
Money or facilities?  Maybe Google "Phil Knight" or "Nike".  See what pops up.

They aren't necessarily poor but they are not on the same level as Florida.  Phil knight did make a huge contribution a few years back for facilities, but again, it's nothing to the level of UF.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Razorbackers

BR

Quote from: sowmonella on November 13, 2017, 09:26:53 pm
Doesn't the show clause Kelley got at Oregon need SEC approval to get into the league?
The SEC Commish has to approve... Doesn't have to tell anyone but Florida if they ask for the exception. 
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BroyledNutts

The SEC will approve Kelly if he wants the job ... the home office is desperate to have Florida good and relevant again. Polishes the prestige of the conference, and restores one of the conference's Favored Four

To that, Florida could become a giant again if Kelly does at Florida what he did at Oregon - he will have the recruiting base to do so.

razorcash2

A great move by the Gators. CCK built a perennial championship contender in a place that is extremely hard to recruit, with absolutely no tradition, money, or facilities.  Florida is arguably the most fertile recruiting state in the country...and has deep tradition, lots of money, and incredible facilities. Plus, most of Kelly’s salary is still being paid by the 49er’s.
No money at Oregon?

ipigsooie

Quote from: razorcash2 on November 14, 2017, 01:57:21 pm
No money at Oregon?

I think he means compared to Florida. Oregon does ok thanks to Phil Knight but nothing compared to Florida.

jimmur74

I hate to break this to you. There is simply no way in HELL any high profile name will come to Arkansas at this point. It doesnt matter how early we fire our coach. We are not a destination Job. .

Quote from: HardCore on November 13, 2017, 09:26:00 pm
That's what you get when make the early coaching move.  Unlike us.

31to6

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 14, 2017, 06:02:55 am
If true...look out.
He is going to be able to put the same speed he had at Oregon on the field.

The difference is that at Florida, that speed will not be undersized.

Worst case scenario, Florida football becomes worth watching again.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 13, 2017, 09:18:09 pm
Sexton isn't chips agent. Not saying it's wrong but...
I saw something on Football Scoop that Florida (and others) were tired of dealing with Sexton clients. 

mj4president

This will be similar to when Saban left for Bama. You just knew it would be a decade plus of being unstoppable. This will be it for Florida and he'll be there 10 years.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: shown006 on November 14, 2017, 07:22:56 am
Hogs need Florida and Tennessee to be good again.  They are LSU's and Bama's permanent East opponents, respectively.
Hogs need Hogs to be good again. Damn Florida and Tennessee. It's time for us to stop depending on other teams to make a mistake and it's time for us to make something happen for ourselves.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The Hawg Marshal

razorcash2

From what I've been told Florida doesn't have all of the money in the world as some would assume.

If motivated, Phil Knight can match anyone.

hogsanity

Quote from: 31to6 on November 14, 2017, 02:06:49 pm
He is going to be able to put the same speed he had at Oregon on the field.

The difference is that at Florida, that speed will not be undersized.

Worst case scenario, Florida football becomes worth watching again.

Another difference though is that several SEC teams have defensive speed to match.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tequilin' Time

Wildhog

Just need Nebraska to hire someone not named Scott Frost now.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

parallaxpig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 14, 2017, 12:09:39 am
Supposedly, Chip Kelly does not like to recruit.

If so, then he will not like having to recruit against a resurgent Miami (FL) program and a Florida State program that recruits at an elite level.

He doesn't like to recruit. He pays for it.....
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

parallaxpig

Quote from: jimmur74 on November 14, 2017, 02:00:09 pm
I hate to break this to you. There is simply no way in HELL any high profile name will come to Arkansas at this point. It doesnt matter how early we fire our coach. We are not a destination Job. .

Your gonna break people's hearts posting that kind of stuff on here.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

bennyl08

A great move by the Gators. CCK built a perennial championship contender in a place that is extremely hard to recruit, with absolutely no tradition, money, or facilities.  Florida is arguably the most fertile recruiting state in the country...and has deep tradition, lots of money, and incredible facilities. Plus, most of Kelly's salary is still being paid by the 49er's.

You clearly don't know much about Eugene. He didn't build that program. They had had 1 losing season in the decade before he became HC, 2 top 10 finishes, and 4 double digit win seasons, including the year before Kelly took over. It was a similar situation to Bielema as Kelley was the OC who took over for the retired HC after the HC moved on to become the school's athletic director.

Oregon isn't that hard of a place to recruit to. Certainly a lot harder than say Florida, but the sheer number of recruits from california is enough to fuel almost the entire pac 12.

No tradition? In the previous 20 years, that team went to 17 bowl games. 3 top 10 finishes. 8 seasons finishing ranked in the AP. Joey Harrington and Dennix Dixon as heisman finalists. The ducks had more tradition in the 20 years leading up to Kelly than the hogs did leading up to Petrino. Just that there is absolutely a strong east coast bias when it comes to football. Even after winning the superbowl, the sea hawks still could barely get any coverage outside of the PNW.

No money? Ever heard of Uncle Knight? I.e. Phil Knight? In total revenue, the Ducks in 2008 (year before Kelley took over) ranked 40th in total revenue, but pulled in more donations than the teams ahead of them up to 17th place in total revenue. They've boosted that in recent years now ranking at 23rd in part due to the steady build of their branding (something that Long gets made fun of for focusing on) as well as increasing ticket prices (again, something long gets made fun of), focusing on expensive suites, as well as getting a couple extra million out of the students now.

They have some of the nicer facilities out there. This was what they were working with back in 2002. They had a major upgrade in 2013 as well. If anything, Oregon has in part been driving the facilities arm race.

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

razorcash2

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 14, 2017, 02:30:00 pm
You clearly don't know much about Eugene. He didn't build that program. They had had 1 losing season in the decade before he became HC, 2 top 10 finishes, and 4 double digit win seasons, including the year before Kelly took over. It was a similar situation to Bielema as Kelley was the OC who took over for the retired HC after the HC moved on to become the school's athletic director.

Oregon isn't that hard of a place to recruit to. Certainly a lot harder than say Florida, but the sheer number of recruits from california is enough to fuel almost the entire pac 12.

No tradition? In the previous 20 years, that team went to 17 bowl games. 3 top 10 finishes. 8 seasons finishing ranked in the AP. Joey Harrington and Dennix Dixon as heisman finalists. The ducks had more tradition in the 20 years leading up to Kelly than the hogs did leading up to Petrino. Just that there is absolutely a strong east coast bias when it comes to football. Even after winning the superbowl, the sea hawks still could barely get any coverage outside of the PNW.

No money? Ever heard of Uncle Knight? I.e. Phil Knight? In total revenue, the Ducks in 2008 (year before Kelley took over) ranked 40th in total revenue, but pulled in more donations than the teams ahead of them up to 17th place in total revenue. They've boosted that in recent years now ranking at 23rd in part due to the steady build of their branding (something that Long gets made fun of for focusing on) as well as increasing ticket prices (again, something long gets made fun of), focusing on expensive suites, as well as getting a couple extra million out of the students now.

They have some of the nicer facilities out there. This was what they were working with back in 2002. They had a major upgrade in 2013 as well. If anything, Oregon has in part been driving the facilities arm race.

Their 2013 upgrades are insane...put them in the upper echelon of programs.

Tequilin' Time

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Wildhog on November 14, 2017, 02:24:38 pm
Kelly to Florida would pretty much assure Frost to Nebraska, wouldn't you think?

rljjr

Quote from: Captain Hogthrob on November 13, 2017, 09:23:29 pm
Florida will be Oregon 2.0 with Kelly at the helm.

You mean no defense and unable to win big games?

Tequilin' Time

Quote from: rljjr on November 14, 2017, 02:43:26 pm
You mean no defense and unable to win big games?

that works for me.   Let em get all excited about the flash  and still be just outside the circle.

ipigsooie

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 14, 2017, 02:30:00 pm

They are behind like 10 sec schools in revenue. It looks like they barely break even.  Florida will definitley allow more resources for Kelly. He may kill it at UF

Razorbackers

Quote from: Wildhog on November 14, 2017, 02:24:38 pm

Boy, if Nebraska doesn't hire Frost they're dumb as hell.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: sowmonella on November 13, 2017, 09:26:53 pm
Doesn't the show clause Kelley got at Oregon need SEC approval to get into the league?

I'm about 100% certain Kelley's show of cause letter has expired.  Further, I'm not an attorney and I never stayed at Howard Johnson (or whatever motel applies) but I would bet if the SEC got into this and caused Kelley to lose the position at Florida, he might never have to work again, if he chose not too. 

Trial lawyers and human resources experts would know for sure, I'm certain of that.

jvanhorn

Quote from: BadHog on November 13, 2017, 09:27:15 pm
Why wouldn't FL go after Mullen - he and the AD are besties.

No they are not.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 13, 2017, 10:47:30 pm
It seemed that Kelly was at Oregon forever as HC, but he was only there four years. After that, he spent four horrible years in the NFL. Back in 2009, the HUNH was pretty new, but now so many teams are doing it makes you wonder if it would transition to the SEC or not.

I think the spread will work in the SEC, still.  Saban is scared to death of it.  An adept play caller helps.  Of course they have to have athletes, but then I can think of four, Lincoln Riley, The Mad Pirate, the dude this thread is about, and the Clemson OC, who could get the job done in the SEC.

Wildhog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 14, 2017, 02:42:54 pm
Kelly to Florida would pretty much assure Frost to Nebraska, wouldn't you think?

Not necessarily.  I was reading an article about Nebraska candidates earlier today and Frost wasn't even mentioned.

Of course it may very well be Frost.  Hopefully they pass on him, though.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bennyl08

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 14, 2017, 02:50:06 pm
They are behind like 10 sec schools in revenue. It looks like they barely break even.  Florida will definitley allow more resources for Kelly. He may kill it at UF

Never said Florida wouldn't offer more resources. Just denouncing the idea that they were a school that had no money, no tradition, no facilities, and were in a dead in the water location to recruit.

Oregon was already a school churning out wins, producing heisman finalists, have had facilities that could compete with anybody in the country's this entire millennia, and had enough money to to accomplish this, largely as Nike itself funds the school.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: TNhawgfan on November 14, 2017, 06:06:47 am
Don't buy it. Finebaum and others who actually know and talk with him all say he will coach again on the west coast

May be the absolute truth, but the dude was born and raised in New Hampshire.  And except for a short stint at Nevada, he coached in the northeast until he went Oregon in 2007. 

Still he might have had a rebirth while in Oregon or San Fran.

Next1_04

Strickland tweeted pics of him on campus all day today speaking to classes. Student have as well citing he is in our class...not Connecticut.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 14, 2017, 02:14:37 pm
Hogs need Hogs to be good again. Damn Florida and Tennessee. It's time for us to stop depending on other teams to make a mistake and it's time for us to make something happen for ourselves.

Bingo. I don't want to win the West or the SECC because everyone else sucks or has gotten beat by other opponents. I want to win because WE are good!
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Con el Cerdos

I known it for at least 25 years, but that knowledge doesn't make it any easier to accept.

Hogarusa

Wouldnt say it looks like Chip to FL. They have strong interest,  like every other opening in college football.

Would be a great hire for the SEC/Florida if it happens.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 14, 2017, 02:53:21 pm
Boy, if Nebraska doesn't hire Frost they're dumb as hell.

I think Frost will wind up at A&M ...

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 14, 2017, 04:17:20 pm
I think Frost will wind up at A&M ...

I can think of a lot worse places to go, Nebraska for instance.  Ties be darned.  Nebraska may be a worse job than Arkansas right now.  At least we have Texas, La and Miss next door for recruiting.

He would be a killer at A&M.

The real Hogules

Welcome to the real SEC, Jeff Long.
Where the only sin that's unforgivable is a loss on a Saturday, to a conference foe!  ;)
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 14, 2017, 03:58:59 pm
Bingo. I don't want to win the West or the SECC because everyone else sucks or has gotten beat by other opponents. I want to win because WE are good!

Like I told a couple of angry fans at the Auburn game, "It's not Auburn's fault we suck".
This is my non-signature signature.

Paul

Apparently we are for one guy!

Hayduke

Oregon is hard to recruit to and has no money or facilities? Phil Knight disagrees.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 14, 2017, 12:19:17 am
With the right assistants, he will not have to and there is plenty of talent in Florida to go around.

He didn't have all that great of Assistants when he was at Oregon.

Kelly may find the recruiting a tough sled in the State of Florida.  He won't have NIKE recruiting for him like he had at Oregon.

Potosihog

I would surmise that any "leaks" right now are designed with purpose.  Agents are playing a bunch of schools against others and coaches against coaches.  It is all par of driving the market price.

He may end up at FL but there's a lot of smoke from multiple places right now, including hogville.