Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CFI Requirements

Started by Flying Razorback, October 04, 2011, 11:35:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

For any CFI's on the board:

I'm considering getting my CFI and other instructor ratings, but don't know when I'll actually use them in a civilian setting.  Is it worth getting your CFI now and sitting on it for years?  Or would you wait and get it later when you can keep it current?  What does it require to get recurrent?
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

ADAM_713

you get alot of time for free, but I don't think that is a problem for you currently.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 19, 2010, 11:42:38 am
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

Flying Razorback

Yeah, it's great for me now, but I know I wont' always have this job so I'm looking a little ahead in to the future.  I'd love a chance to keep as many hours as I can when I finish with the AF.  I just wonder if it's worth getting and then sitting on for so long.

ADAM_713

If you get it, get your MEI as well. 

Are you trying to go airline route afterwards?
Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 19, 2010, 11:42:38 am
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: IdontgiveAdam_713 on October 04, 2011, 02:36:17 pm
If you get it, get your MEI as well. 

Are you trying to go airline route afterwards?

I haven't decided yet.  I don't even have a chance to get out for another 5 or 6 years so I'll have to look at what the landscape is and where my family is in their lives.

I was kind of thinking that if I go in for one I might as well go in for all.  CFI, CFII, and MEI.  I don't know what all would help on a resume.  I know all the kids graduating from the pilot mills and aviation colleges have every letter combo there is.

fdx flyer

I don't have mine yet, but am thinking hard about getting it.  You know about the new military competency exam for CFI ratings right?  I was planning on buying the study guide from SheppardAir.com, then taking the exam at the local FAA testing center.   Once you've passed, you take the results to your FSDO.  It's about $50 for the gouge, and $150 for the test.

It gets a little tricky though.  It all depends on what military aircraft you've instructed in.  If you're a C-130 IP, you'd be rated to instruct as a Multi Engine and Instrument instructor,  BUT not single engine - which is what you'd probably want to instruct in when flying civilian.  You'd have to do an add on for the single engine rating - which means doing flights, checkride, etc. 

I got lucky.  I instructed in the T-2C and T-45C.  The T-45C is single engine.  T-2C is multi-engine, although center-line thrust restricted.   I don't think they even do the center line restriction anymore, so I'd only get single engine and instrument instructor ratings. Still very applicable to GA flying though. 

I'm not really interested in teaching folks to fly from step 1, but I'd like to be able to give Biennial Checkrides to some of my friends as a return for some favors they've done for me (especially my A&P IA  buddy).

You do have to keep it current every two years though.  If you're not instructing much, I think the easiest thing to do is online courses.  Not a big deal, but a bit of a hassle.

Flying Razorback

I had read about the Mil Comp but I didn't think about not being able to get a single engine CFI.  That's kind of what I wanted so I could exchange flying hours and fly with my future kids and what not.  Would I have to go through an entire CFI program to get a single engine land CFI?

fdx flyer

I don't think so.  I think it's just an add-on.  Here's some good info: 

http://www.sheppardair.com/Answer11.htm

and:

http://www.sheppardair.com/milcompcfi.htm