Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kelley Enjoying New Steamboat Package in Razorback Offense

Started by Scott Marshall, September 28, 2017, 02:28:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Marshall

The Steamboat Express is pulling back into Fayetteville this weekend after its debut in Arlington last Saturday and Arkansas backup quarterback Cole Kelley is ready for challenge number two.

The redshirt freshman quarterback carried the ball four times for 21 yards including a thirteen yard carry on his first attempt against Texas A&M. He also threw his second career touchdown pass on a two yard score to David Williams to start the second quarter.

"This was my first big game experience so I felt like I needed that to get my confidence up," said Kelley. "After that run I thought I was pretty comfortable out there."

For Kelley this all started during the Razorbacks bye week when he told offensive coordinator Dan Enos he was willing to do whatever it took to help his team out.

"He just said I am willing to do whatever it takes to help the team," Enos said." Coach Bielema and I talked about it and he said let's try to come up with something and that's what we came up with."

Read full story and here from Kelley here: http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/kelley-enjoying-new-steamboat-package-in-razorback-offense/819138195

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

younghog

Scott

trying to watch the young bandits on here turn this into a bench AA fest..

~just watch .. go figure.. I mean GO HOGS
GO HOGS

carolinahogger

Putting the spotlight on the RS freshman QB so optimistic fans will think we won't be terrible next year...smart strategy.

WPS2k18

Steamboat Package. Love the name. Love Kelleys enthusiasm. Woo Pig. ::hornsdown::
Im calling it now... Hogs 2047 National Champs.

#1Fan

It won't be a surprise any more.  I'll be curious to see if it will still work when defenses have time to prepare for it.  Could be a good way to get Kelley hurt.

PorkSoda

Quote from: WPS2k18 on September 28, 2017, 03:45:55 pm
Steamboat Package. Love the name. Love Kelleys enthusiasm. Woo Pig. ::hornsdown::
maybe we can just rename our offense to the "Arkansas Steamer"
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

#1Fan

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 28, 2017, 03:49:17 pm
maybe we can just rename our offense to the "Arkansas Steamer"
How about just "The Steaming Pile".

threeNout

Should have done it more last week IMO.

It gives us a chance, I'd almost never opt for a two QB system, but it makes sense for us because we can't consistently protect our best QB.

I can see Kelley being able to shake off a sack and complete a pass, where as AA is just instantly buried.
Kelley can keep the play alive a bit longer.

Also love the possibilities of the effect on the overall run game, RO with Kelley/Hayden and likely other things become possible.

and 3rd and two is almost automatic, where as 3rd or 4th and 1 has been nearly impossible.

so heck yea, it makes sense on a lot of levels, if Enos manages it right we actually could present a challenge to any defense we play.

Hoggish1

Quote from: #1Fan on September 28, 2017, 03:48:17 pm
It won't be a surprise any more.  I'll be curious to see if it will still work when defenses have time to prepare for it.  Could be a good way to get Kelley hurt.

What if they prepare for it and Kelley passes?  Do you know he is a QB?  LOL

Swestwill66

PonderinHog

PorkSoda

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 28, 2017, 09:25:16 pm
I was holding out for the "Cole Train."    :(
I don't know if "Running the Cole Train" will be seen as a family friendly phrase.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

threeNout

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 28, 2017, 08:21:09 pm
What if they prepare for it and Kelley passes?  Do you know he is a QB?  LOL

If CK can make a handful of intermediate throws with confidence, we'll have a harder offense to defend than we currently do with AA (because we can't always protect him)

3rd and manageable, with an RPO with one of the backs and O'Grady, and you got 3 options that can really stress a defense. He seems like he can get 3-4 yards running whenever he wants, unless the defense is zeroing in on him.

Rayzback

During his interview, I thought he might break into a song.

Do this shite, I love on the daily. AA-aye, I'm on vacation every single day cause I love my occupation.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

BassinHawg

"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Wildhog

Do our players have any more ideas that can help us win?  The coaches seem to be all out.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

longpig

Quote from: #1Fan on September 28, 2017, 03:48:17 pm

A definite way to get him hurt. There's a Jordan Zumwalt in every Logan Thomas's future.  Sun Bowl 2013
Don't be scared, be smart.

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 09:40:28 am
Do our players have any more ideas that can help us win?  The coaches seem to be all out.

Yeah. That's concerning.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Wildhog

Quote from: rhames on September 29, 2017, 10:02:11 am

Yeah. That's concerning.

Wasn't it Gibson that had to go to Bielema and ask to get playing time?  Turns out he's one of our best OL. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 10:20:28 am
Wasn't it Gibson that had to go to Bielema and ask to get playing time?  Turns out he's one of our best OL. 

It was.....
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Wildhog

Quote from: rhames on September 29, 2017, 10:22:50 am
It was.....

We have fans saying that Bielema is playing favorites... but maybe he just doesn't realize who his best players are?  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Quote from: longpig on September 29, 2017, 10:00:50 am
A definite way to get him hurt. There's a Jordan Zumwalt in every Logan Thomas's future.  Sun Bowl 2013

That hit was on a pass play - behind the line of scrimmage not a designed run.

It was also helmet to helmet.

This is also what happens when Logan Thomas ran a designed run in the same game:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

hview

Going back to the comment on Jerrod Barnes, as QB at Cabot he became very adapt at running out of the back field. A few plays with Barnes, and two of the other running backs in the same back field might be pretty lethal.

factchecker

Quote from: hview on September 29, 2017, 11:48:31 am
Going back to the comment on Jerrod Barnes, as QB at Cabot he became very adapt at running out of the back field. A few plays with Barnes, and two of the other running backs in the same back field might be pretty lethal.

How good (accurate) was Barnes' arm.

If he can complete a pass it might be something to consider.

What makes Kelley so dangerous is his ability to run the RPO (even if it's predetermined) and hit a pass if needed.

Another question -  Do you think Barnes would be good on punt return.  His high school film showed great athleticism.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: factchecker on September 29, 2017, 11:54:04 am

What makes Kelley so dangerous is his ability to run the RPO (even if it's predetermined) and hit a pass if needed.

Another question -  Do you think Barnes would be good on punt return.  His high school film showed great athleticism.

Didn't he do KOR last game?

factchecker

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 29, 2017, 12:03:00 pm
Didn't he do KOR last game?

Warren and Cross

Speaking of De'Vion Warren..... he played QB in high school too:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

longpig

Quote from: factchecker on September 29, 2017, 10:26:27 am
That hit was on a pass play - behind the line of scrimmage not a designed run.

It was also helmet to helmet.

This is also what happens when Logan Thomas ran a designed run in the same game:

Mute point.  Big boy was punished for not sliding. Defenders pull up on QBs till they don't slide, then they bring the pain.
Don't be scared, be smart.

870hogfan

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 10:23:22 am
We have fans saying that Bielema is playing favorites... but maybe he just doesn't realize who his best players are?  :)

🙄

PonderinHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 09:40:28 am
Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 10:23:22 am
Come on, Wildhog!  One more and you win the trifecta!

PossumFan

When defenses wise up and prepare for it and it doesn't work, Enos will be an idiot. Along with Bielema. And Long.

jmb1973

Quote from: factchecker on September 29, 2017, 11:54:04 am

His arm isn't All-American, but strong enough.

I watched every game his senior and junior year, he would do very well at punt or kick return. Quick, athletic.

His only drawback is size. He is probably 5'10" and 175 lbs. (All muscle, but still small)

fusbal11

Wooo Pig