Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Rivals

Started by beverly_21, October 23, 2012, 08:34:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beverly_21

I heard on Pat Bradley radio show that they're no longer having the LSU game as our last game anymore, and that they will put Missouri in their place. My question is, is that do we really have a main rival? A team that would consider us their biggest rivalry? It seems that most top tier football colleges have a main rival, but I don't see that with us.

jimmur74

BartIV

Guess Texas A&M will have to do now or Arkansas State.

Arkansas Fan

In the SEC, A&M is our rival, and somewhat LSU. I just dislike Mizzery, but don't care for a rivalry with them.

Cure

Arkansas doesn't have a rival.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

BartIV

Quote from: Cure on October 23, 2012, 08:41:27 pm
Our rival is ourselves I am beginning to think.

Murr

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on October 23, 2012, 08:41:05 pm
In the SEC, A&M is our rival, and somewhat LSU. I just dislike Mizzery, but don't care for a rivalry with them.

That sums it up.

We have history with A&M.

LSU fans could care less about playing us.  Ever.

We have no history with Mizzou, but there is a possibility of a rivalry developing.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Murr on October 23, 2012, 08:44:04 pm
That sums it up.

We have no history with Mizzou, but there is a possibility of a rivalry developing.

We have some history with LSU, they just think that since they became good this past decade that they're too good for us.

ocsm158

October 23, 2012, 08:46:56 pm #8 Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:50:06 pm by ocsm158
Quote from: Murr on October 23, 2012, 08:44:04 pm
That sums it up.

Except for my wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murr

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on October 23, 2012, 08:45:02 pm
We have some history with LSU, they just think that since they became good this past decade that they're too good for us.

They look at us as an easy win at the end of the season.  That has changed the last ten years, their lack of interest in playing us hasn't.

Lake City Hog

LSU and their fans can say a lot of things, but they want an easier game to end the season, period. We have spoiled their season several times and if the refs hadn't stepped in a couple of times it would have been more!

Ramtough

Bama!! I hate them almost as bad as I hate Texas. Every time I turn on the TV its Bama and Saban and I'm just sick of hearing about how they are so awesome. I pull against them every time they play just like Texas. I hope they get beat and miss the NC game this year.

online-with-swine

What is sad is that we have more history with AM than LSU yet they view each other as rivals, even after not playing for a couple decades.

Mizzou looks at us as rivals about as much as we do them.  We really dont have a rival and won't.

Murr

Quote from: lchog on October 23, 2012, 08:52:54 pm
LSU and their fans can say a lot of things, but they want an easier game to end the season, period. We have spoiled their season several times and if the refs hadn't stepped in a couple of times it would have been more!
A&M might be tougher for them in the long run as they'll be competing for local recruits on the day, just like UF/FSU do.

BartIV

Quote from: Ramtough on October 23, 2012, 08:54:52 pm
Bama!! I hate them almost as bad as I hate Texas. Every time I turn on the TV its Bama and Saban and I'm just sick of hearing about how they are so awesome. I pull against them every time they play just like Texas. I hope they get beat and miss the NC game this year.
They don't see us as a rival though. And they are awesome and deserve the attention.

RazorZack

Quote from: BartIV on October 23, 2012, 08:43:40 pm

+1. Has been our toughest opponent for years, and they always sneak up on us when least expected.  They play the part well.

BartIV

Arkansas vs Arkansas State anytime they desire a rival.

RollHogTide

For a true rival - there has to be an intense dislike between the opposing schools/fans, it can't be created for the sake of having a rival.  There also needs to be a history of something gained or lost as a result of the game.  For example - most would think that Alabama/Auburn is a rivalry, but I would submit that Tennessee IS Bama's rival.

And for proof, only after the Alabama/Tennessee does the winning team break out cigars.

BartIV

Quote from: RollHogTide on October 23, 2012, 09:01:03 pm
For a true rival - there has to be an intense dislike between the opposing schools/fans, it can't be created for the sake of having a rival.  There also needs to be a history of something gained or lost as a result of the game.  For example - most would think that Alabama/Auburn is a rivalry, but I would submit that Tennessee IS Bama's rival.

And for proof, only after the Alabama/Tennessee does the winning team break out cigars.
After a Bama/Auburn game, they kill each others tree's. Now that is a Rivalry.

Hawg79

Living in Louisiana and being a Razorback fan I'd have to say that I disagree that LSU fans don't care about playing us. It seems to me like just about every LSU fan I know considers us a rival. They don't want to beat us as badly as they want to beat Bama right now but they do have a hate for us.

BartIV

Quote from: Hawg79 on October 23, 2012, 09:03:21 pm
Living in Louisiana and being a Razorback fan I'd have to say that I disagree that LSU fans don't care about playing us. It seems to me like just about every LSU fan I know considers us a rival. They don't want to beat us as badly as they want to beat Bama right now but they do have a hate for us.
Lsu has a hate for everyone they compete against.

RollHogTide

October 23, 2012, 09:07:36 pm #21 Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:12:48 pm by RollHogTide
Quote from: BartIV on October 23, 2012, 09:02:44 pm

Mess with Bama and we'll either kill your trees or someone's gonna be teabagged - that's just the way we roll.

But, if the opportunity presented itself - one of our fans would sexually molest Smokey while singing Rammer Jammer.

johnnypark

Mizzou is trying their hardest to be our rival.

BartIV

Quote from: johnnypark on October 23, 2012, 09:11:21 pm
Mizzou is trying their hardest to be our rival.
We have nothing to gain by being their rival or is that Arkansas State.

redeye

I know people like to downplay it today, but Texas was a big rivalry. I don't know if they ever considered us their biggest rival, but we were on the map, despite comments I've seen around here to the contrary. When we were on top in the sixties, college football was coming of age and Oklahoma was down, so I doubt that the RRR was more important back then.

I really don't care if we have a recognized rivalry today. Call them what you want, but we have great games with LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss and even Alabama, if you take away the past few years. I'd also throw A&M, SC and Tennessee in that group. None of them may consider us their biggest rival, but I think they all consider us rivals in some way or another.

Ole Miss, in particular, always seems to get up for us. It's what makes them dangerous, because I think they're usually more up for our game then we are.

I happen to think that rivalries, today, are overrated and either created, or exaggerated, by the media for it's own benefit. So I really don't care if LSU fans don't consider us a rival, because I'll still enjoy the smirk on their faces when they lose. And while I really enjoy our rivalry with LSU, I still think the main reason their fans don't get into it is because it was manufactured, and I can't blame them for that.

Pigstie

Let's get a contract back with texas... Thanksgiving weekend.  Nothing manufactured about that.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

go hogues

Our traditional rivals are Texas and Ole Miss
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Fayettechill14

I'd rank them:

1. Texas A&M
2. LSU
3. Alabama
4. Ole Miss
5. Tennessee
6. Auburn
7. Missouri
8. South Carolina
9. Mississippi State

Texas would appear near the top if we restarted the series, but it looks like we don't play them until 2024 or something.

redeye

Quote from: BartIV on October 23, 2012, 09:12:47 pm
We have nothing to gain by being their rival or is that Arkansas State.

Media attention in Missouri sounds pretty good to me.

I don't know what you hope to gain by imitating corndogs?

HG

Quote from: BartIV on October 23, 2012, 09:02:44 pm

So what we need to do is pick a school, go find an indigenous species, and murder the hell out of it.  Presto, instant rivalry.  Plus, you know, the fun of killing things.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: HG on October 23, 2012, 11:41:48 pm
So what we need to do is pick a school, go find an indigenous species, and murder the hell out of it.  Presto, instant rivalry.  Plus, you know, the fun of killing things.

HG

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 23, 2012, 11:45:49 pm

Hmm.  Well, tigers aren't actually indigenous to the bayou, but that's probably just an oversight on God's part, so, sure, let's have at it.  I'll bring Boarzilla, you bring the electric prods to get them fighting.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: BartIV on October 23, 2012, 08:43:40 pm

Bliggity blam... Arkansas, the fanbase, will always be our own worst enemy. 

Murr

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 23, 2012, 11:05:34 pm
I'd rank them:

1. Texas A&M
2. LSU
3. Alabama
4. Ole Miss
5. Tennessee
6. Auburn
7. Missouri
8. South Carolina
9. Mississippi State

Texas would appear near the top if we restarted the series, but it looks like we don't play them until 2024 or something.

They were trying to get Notre Dame for that weekend, but are now stuck with TCU for now.  I don't see what Texas would gain by closing out the season against Arkansas.  The hogs would love the rivalry and recruiting exposure but Mack Brown wouldn't enjoy the extra loses.

Westcoasthog

For your information Arkansas and LSU go back to 1901 playing each other.
In 1909 the head coach at Arkansas in the 1909 Arkansas- LSU game played at Memphis Arkansas beat LSU  16-0.  After the game head coach at Arkansas Hugo Bedzek said Arkansas played "like a wild band of Razorback hogs"  from this date on they were know as Razorbacks.  Previously they were called Cardinals.

basscat3

Quote from: Westcoasthog on October 24, 2012, 02:11:17 am
    For your information Arkansas and LSU go back to 1901 playing each other.
In 1909 the head coach at Arkansas in the 1909 Arkansas- LSU game played at Memphis Arkansas beat LSU  16-0.  After the game head coach at Arkansas Hugo Bedzek said Arkansas played "like a wild band of Razorback hogs"  from this date on they were know as Razorbacks.  Previously they were called Cardinals.

Cardinal not Cardinals
Quote from: losthawg68 on February 19, 2010, 10:48:52 PM
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the
tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through
the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike
down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my frito pie. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you

Dumb ole famrboy

Rivalries are for losers. The only time they make a real difference is when your team sucks and pulls off the win.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Arkansas rivals are as follows

#1 Jeff Long
#2 John L Smith
#3 Harley's
Let's make some waves.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Cure on October 23, 2012, 08:41:27 pm

I agree.  People have teams that they dislike but that doesn't make it a rivalry.

Hogwild

Quote from: Murr on October 23, 2012, 08:49:06 pm
They look at us as an easy win at the end of the season.  That has changed the last ten years, their lack of interest in playing us hasn't.

I agree LSU doesn't view us as a rivial, they are pushing hard to play A&M in their season finale.

nwarazfan

We don't have one. 

We need for the LSU game to remain where it is on our schedule over any kind of effort of forcing a rivalry with Mizzou.  First of all, those of you too young to remember our basketball series with Mizzou especially in the 80s and early 90s, you don't want to have to deal with Mizzou fans.  Secondly, any kind of rivalry with Mizzou would be an irrelevant regional rivalry if it were to ever happen. 

For at least 3 decades, Texas was a rival. 

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on October 24, 2012, 06:23:13 am
Rivalries are for losers. The only time they make a real difference is when your team sucks and pulls off the win.

Losers like Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, and Oklahoma.

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

I would say that Arkansas doesn't have any true rivals and never really have had any.  Arkansas has had teams it wanted to beat, but not real rivalries.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogsanity

Okay, first a rival is defined as : "A person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity"   

So, every team in the SEC would be our "rival"

Second, what the fans keep talking about is a rivalry.  You know something like Ohio St/Mich Bama/Aub  Ou/Texas Ga/FLA  Lehigh/Lafayette  Harvard/Yale- These are games in which a team having a bad year can get the taste out of its mouth just by winning this game.  Games where a really good coach can still lose his job if he loses this game too much.  Games where the fans want to win this game more than any other, and the players as well.  THAT is a rivalry.

Oh, and the Hogs DO NOT HAVE ONE OF THOSE. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jamie72921

I watched the LSU and A&M game. I didn't notice any rivalry type atmosphere.

Not from fans or the players. It was just another game as far as I could tell.
Bless your heart

DeltaBoy

IMo it is Ole Miss and LSU.  We have a long history of playing them over the decades.  The Games got so rowdy that Frank called them off.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Devil_Dog

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on October 24, 2012, 06:53:30 am
Arkansas rivals are as follows

#1 Jessica dorrell
#2 John L Smith
#3 Harley's

Fixed that for you my man

blunts4mallett

October 25, 2012, 02:11:36 am #47 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:13:42 am by blunts4mallett
Texas, Texas, Texas.  ::hornsdown::

All you native Arkansans know you hate us Texans - don't deny it. Hell, we make up almost half the student body nowadays. The rivalry is more of a geographical thing. Had a friend of my father's (UT Grad) tell me the other day that when he came up to Fayetteville for the UT/Ark games during the early years of the SWC that some gas stations in town wouldn't even sell gasoline to cars with Texas plates.

Not to mention the 1969 "Game of the Century"

Our real and only rivalry is with the University of Texas. Whoever said our own fanbase is our rival, that's definitely a close #2.

Quote from: Devil_Dog on October 25, 2012, 01:07:07 am
Fixed that for you my man

You made it incorrect while you were " fixing " it, but thanks so much.
Let's make some waves.

Quote from: blunts4mallett on October 25, 2012, 02:11:36 am
Texas, Texas, Texas.  ::hornsdown::

All you native Arkansans know you hate us Texans - don't deny it. Hell, we make up almost half the student body nowadays. The rivalry is more of a geographical thing. Had a friend of my father's (UT Grad) tell me the other day that when he came up to Fayetteville for the UT/Ark games during the early years of the SWC that some gas stations in town wouldn't even sell gasoline to cars with Texas plates.

Not to mention the 1969 "Game of the Century"

Our real and only rivalry is with the University of Texas. Whoever said our own fanbase is our rival, that's definitely a close #2.

Hog fans consider it much more of a rivalry than horn fans I can assure you.  OU and TX A&M always 1 and 2.  Hogs a very distant 3rd in the mind of most horn fans.
Let's make some waves.