Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baseball hitting instructors?

Started by S.P.A.M. Hog, June 06, 2005, 09:53:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

S.P.A.M. Hog

June 06, 2005, 09:53:17 am Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 08:46:13 am by Hogfanjr
I am thinking about hiring a hitting instructor for my son, 8. I have done a lot of research on hitting and I am looking for someone who knows how to teach Rotational Hitting. I can get a DVD series by Mike Epstein, but I would rather have a "live" body to talk to about it. I think he needs someone to show him how to do it and give him feedback. Plus like most kids, my son doesn't like to listen to Dad. I guess I don't have the patience or he feels I am too hard on him.

Or if anyone has had used the DVDs or videos by Epstein...are they good? What is your $.02 worth?
Just as the dark ages passed, so will the effects of poor coaching for the last ten years. But more importantly the Razorback Nation will be unified.

The new era has begun...

RazorDrummer

Hogfanjr...do you live in Northwest Arkansas?  In my league (www.nwamsbl.com), I have a number of former college players and a few ex-pros that could be called upon to help teach your son.  Other resources might be found at OnDeck in Fayetteville off Zion Road.  I know one of our league coaches, John Luedtke, teaches pitching there and is also available as a hitting instructor.  His services are fee-based, but it would be well worth it for your son.  John was a pitching coach for the Razorbacks and NYYankee scout.  Beyond that, videos and DVDs are good, but as you say are not as effective as a live instructor giving your son a subjective analysis of his swing and helping him funnel proper techniques.  I have taught hitting mechanics to little leaguers, legion kids, and adults, and there is very little variation in the instruction.  The best part about an 8-year-old is that he will have no "pre-conceived" ideas about hitting.  Adults can be like old dogs...

Best of luck and please email me if you need some more assistance.

p.s. That whole "keep the elbow up" thing is a myth.  Keeping the hands up is more effective.  i.e. hands up to eye level and elbow down allows for a quicker extension downward without the "hitch".  Line up the second knuckles allows for proper wrist rotation, too.  (the knuckles you knock on the door with).  I like to pinch my students' knuckles to remind them which ones to line up.  They never forget that part even years later...
www.oreoblue.com (My Band)
www.theuncrownedkings.com (My other band)
www.honeyjackband.com (the new band 2016)
www.nwamsbl.com (Play Baseball in NWArkansas)
www.nwasox.com (My Team)