Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jacksonville Job

Started by Guinea Pig, April 20, 2005, 09:31:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Guinea Pig

Has anyone heard any potential names for the recently open Jacksonville job? 

Big Papa Satan

There's been talk of John Mayes from Oak Grove, a few assistants, the new FC head coach who is a Jacksonville alum, and some others.

Heard that there was around 40 applicants.

Guinea Pig

Thanks for the info.  Scott Reed at Forrest City was the first guy that came to mind.  He is an alum.  He was the Quarterback on a couple of state title teams.  His dad won three state titles as Head Coach at Jacksonville.  He played for the Razorbacks.  He was a GA for Holtz.  He has coaching experience at both the high school and college level.  Only thing is that I'm not sure if he'd leave Forrest City without ever coaching a game. 

Big Papa Satan

It would make sense for Reed to go home, but leaving FC like that?  I don't know if he will right now.

del316

The head coach at Newport got the Jacksonville job.  I may have is name wrong but I think it's Coach Wheatley?  Does anyone know who the new head coach at Newport will be?   

pioneerhog

Mark Whatley is his name. He is still listed as a coach on Newport schools website but you are right he did get the job. I am thinking that one of the Assistants got his job when he left, but I could be wrong, I'm trying to do some research and find it.

pioneerhog

Whatley returned to his alma mater, he was w WR on the 1978 state championship team. I couldn't find anything on who replaced him though.

http://www.newportindependent.com/articles/2005/05/20/sports/06.txt

Hogtopia

Leader of the pack to replace Whatley at Newport is Chris Hill, head coach at Morrillton. Should be decided within a week.

del316

Coach Chris Hill will be the new head coach at Newport.  Looks like Coach Michael Lee, the Defensive Coord. at Morrilton, will be the new Morrilton head coach.

WilsonHog

Quote from: del316 on June 11, 2005, 10:16:08 pm
Coach Chris Hill will be the new head coach at Newport. Looks like Coach Michael Lee, the Defensive Coord. at Morrilton, will be the new Morrilton head coach.

What I've never figured out about the situation at Newport was why their defensive coordinator never got the job.  Coach Lewis has been there for years. I'm sure at one time he was Bill Keedy's defensive coordinator.

del316

I have been an Arkansas High School Football fan for several years now and have seen a fair number of coaches come and go.  Quite often, the coach who seems to be the logical pick for an open job doesn't get it.  There's always a reason but it is seldom made public.  Just a long winded way of saying I don't know.   

pioneerhog

I don't care who the coach is, the Pioneers will hand the greypups their ass this year and most every year from now on.

del316

You may or may not be right.  If the Pioneers handle Newport that easy, they better play some head hunting defense.  Hill is an offensive minded coach and keeps the ball in the air a lot.  It can and often will end up in the end zone fast.
Quote from: pioneerhog on June 13, 2005, 06:01:52 pm
I don't care who the coach is, the Pioneers will hand the greypups their ass this year and most every year from now on.

pioneerhog

I don't care, I will stand by the Pioneers all the way through it, win lose or draw it doesn't matter to me, but isn't that how you are suppose to stand by the hometown team.

del316

Quote from: pioneerhog on June 14, 2005, 05:29:39 pm
I don't care, I will stand by the Pioneers all the way through it, win lose or draw it doesn't matter to me, but isn't that how you are suppose to stand by the hometown team.
You are right.  Stick with your team wheather they win or not.  In my opinion, that's what makes High School Football in Arkansas a Super geat enhacnment to the quality of being alive.   

pioneerhog

Quote from: del316 on June 14, 2005, 09:29:43 pm
Quote from: pioneerhog on June 14, 2005, 05:29:39 pm
You are right.  Stick with your team wheather they win or not.  In my opinion, that's what makes High School Football in Arkansas a Super geat enhacnment to the quality of being alive.   
We agree on something there. Welcome to the board by the way.

Big Papa Satan

the Pioneers will hand the greypups their ass this year and most every year from now on.

And both of them will remain Wynne's bitch. 8)

pioneerhog

Now DR we will take a game from time to time from you guys, but I gotta say that this could be a good possiblility. Wynne just has more talent then Batesville so it is kinda hard to argue this point. Wynne just need to move to 5A that way we can dominate the east. ;D

del316

Quote from: del316 on June 14, 2005, 09:36:12 am
You may or may not be right.  If the Pioneers handle Newport that easy, they better play some head hunting defense.  Hill is an offensive minded coach and keeps the ball in the air a lot.  It can and often will end up in the end zone fast.
It is my understanding that the Newport School Board had their meeting yesterday.  I assume they approved the hiring of Hill as the new Newport head coach.  I haven't seen anything confirming that it happened nor have I seen any kind of announcement.  Anybody know the official word?

pioneerhog

Well I haven't heard anything offical yet. I do know that the Newport School Boards regular meeting is on Mondays, im not sure if it is every other Monday or what, but they might have had a special meeting but I couldn't find anything on the Newport newspaper website. My wife is a teacher at Newport that is how I know when their regular meetings are.

del316

Quote from: pioneerhog on June 18, 2005, 12:29:22 pm
Well I haven't heard anything offical yet. I do know that the Newport School Boards regular meeting is on Mondays, im not sure if it is every other Monday or what, but they might have had a special meeting but I couldn't find anything on the Newport newspaper website. My wife is a teacher at Newport that is how I know when their regular meetings are.
I've heard, from a post on another website, that the Newport Board did meet last Friday and Hill was hired.  A couple of people on the site sounded pretty excited.  From what I gather, he's a good guy although I don't know him personally.  Hopefully, he will do well at Newport.   

pioneerhog

Like I said I haven't heard anything. My wife is a teacher there but she is at the elementry(sp?) school so she doesn't know much about what goes on at the high school. This could very well be true, and probably is, but I don't know. I will be in Newport next week and I am sure I will see it in the paper if it is. I will let you know if I find out for sure.