Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stegall

Started by dcskc, January 10, 2006, 09:18:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dcskc

This question was asked in another thread, but not addressed. Why hasn't theUA given the Greenwood QB a look? He has the size, the smarts, and from what I've heard some of the same skills as MM although maybe not as polished. I know there is interest from other D1 schools, does anyone know what the problem might be? Could be a good plan B.

HogHeathen

I've wondered the same thing???  Good question!

HogHillbilly

I know that he want's to play baseball too. And I am probably wrong, but heard that Nutt wouldn't allow it and ASU would.....
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

dcskc

Nutt allowed MJ and Monk to play BBall, I don't get it. Is he a pitcher? That might be reason for concern, otherwise I don't see the logic. Unless he thinks Van Horn might take sole possession.

HogISH™

baseball is in full gear during spring drill, so this will not happen.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

dcskc

That would be true at any other school also, I'm wondering if it's something else. Did he attend a camp up there and fail to impress? I'm getting antsy, really really antsy. 2 QBs is not enough. I questioned them keeping RJ earlier now I'm thanking God they did.

HogHillbilly

He IS going to ASU, because they will let him play baseball too...................
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

pfrg999

We need another Dowell Loggins (actually is was a GREAT asset to our team)... What about Landon Leach...is he comming Back
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hogfankb

Quote from: HogHillbilly on January 10, 2006, 09:22:39 am
I know that he want's to play baseball too. And I am probably wrong, but heard that Nutt wouldn't allow it and ASU would.....

Don't know anything about the kid. But maybe Van Horn already has a roster full.

HogFather

Why didn't we recruit Slick Shelly?  Stegall?  Doesn't make sense, I would hate for us to sign some great in-state talent. (sarcasm)

hogsanity

WHo else is or was after SDtegal?  Any other SEC schools?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The real Hogules

You have to have a scholarship offer to turn it down and as of this moment Daniel Stegall does NOT have an offer from the Razorbacks.
They (Arkansas' coaches) have decided to offer an out-of-stater, with even less impressive stats than Stegall a full ride to the UofA.
Apparently they consider this kid to be the better of the two, since he played football in the great state of Alabama.
This kids choices are one of the service academies, or us.
Stegall has better overall statistics (more passing TD's and yardage from running the ball) and Daniel Stegall won a state championship this year and Greenwood finished runner up the year before.
This kids record this year was 7-3 and he had an offer from Vanderbilt "before" the season started, but when he failed to accept the offer prior to the kickoff of the football season the offer was pulled.
I just hope we're making the right decision where the offensive leader of our football team is concerned.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hogsanity

SO not only Does HDn not think he is worthy of an offer, neither do ANY OTHER SEC, BIG 12, or any other major college. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

O'Squeal

From my understanding Landon Leach is no longer an option due to his shoulder problems.
Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one and they all stink.

Ugly Uncle

I'm the one that posted on the other thread about Stegall.  I talked with one of his coaches.  He has some offers from Mid-majors and Texas A.M., Nebraska, and I think OK State has shown interest,  but I can't remember if he said he had received any offers from them.

The coach told me that Stegall was a winner.  The kid hates to lose.  He said that if Stegall would have had the weapons that Mitch had his stats would have been out of control.  The coach told me that, "I'm not comparing him to Mitch, Mitch is a great QB, but this kid (Stegall) is awesome and I am shocked that Arkansas is just not showing any interest."
Retired Radio Host

geoffhog

Stegall is not getting offers from major colleges because he's playing baseball, also.  He's a fine QB, but his future is in baseball.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

Oliverhogman

Whats the big deal with football players baseball that Nutt has a problem with?

Ever hear of Barry Lunney Jr.
Football QB
Baseball Pitcher

If Lunney could do it. I am sure Stegall could also.

My kid plays with a traveling team out of Greenwood and I heard that Stegall was trying out for the Chicago White Sox.

Also heard that Texas was interested in him for baseball.

ArrDee

Stegall was the best quarterback in the River Valley and he wasn't far behind Mustain either. Arkansas will kcik themselves for not recruiting this kid, he will be a big fish in a little pond at stAte

gwddog

daniel should have got an offer. he is a great leader on and off the field. he has the arm, the speed, the brains, and even punts the ball could be used on either side of the ball. he will make asu shine. should of been u of a.
back 2 back 2 back

BadDogGHSDogPound

January 10, 2006, 10:29:29 pm #19 Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 10:34:44 pm by BadDogGHSDogPound
Daniel is just an all around great person. Very laid back and very smart. It's been a great ride getting to watch him play for Greenwood and cover him on our website.

Daniel really seemed to be picking up steam last year and into the spring on the recruiting front as Norte Dame, Alabama, LSU, and Texas A & M were all showing some interst. He did have a try out for the White Sox late last spring/early summer. I think what hurt Daniel is he broke his wrist playing summer baseball and then banged up his shoulder all during the late spring/early summer period and was not able to really do very many camps at schools, he even had to drop out of the Arkansas Quarterback Challenge.

Greenwood's sophomore quarterback Tyler Wilson got all the snaps during Greenwood's spring practices and over the summer at the 7 on 7's, with Daniel banged up during that time. But that lack of extra practice didn't keep Daniel from lighting it up once again when the stadium lights went on.

Daniel was offered by Arkansas State, Louisanna Monroe, Navy, Aireforce and Westpoint along with UAFS in just baseball and some other schools for just baseball. Only Arkansas State and Louisanna Monroe had it available for him to play both football and baseball and that was a big factor in where he went to school. He wanted to do both.

Daniel called me on Sunday to let me know that he had verbally committed to Arkansas State as he felt it was the best fit for him. He hopes not to red shirt in either sport and have an impact. All of us in Greenwood wish Daniel the best of luck and say GO STATE!

You can find out more on Daniel Stegall on his webpage on our website.
http://www.greenwooddogpound.com/Foot05/Stegall.html

If you just want information on Greenwood football or other sports check out the main site.
www.GreenwoodDogPound.com
2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2023 State Football Champions Greenwood Bulldogs. Follow The Bulldogs On www.GreenwoodDogPound.com

PigKahuna

I'm sure that Daniel is a top notch kid.  For whatever reason the coaches (inlcuding the new OC) just didn't see a fit.  Good luck to him.

GarySe7en

Landon Leach is a student coaching assistant now since he reinjured his throwing sholder last year.  The only other QB's on the hill right now are CD, RJ, and Chad Dayton, 6'2", 198 Freshman from Tulsa, was on the scout team last year.

THROWITDEEP

ASU found a piece of Gold in this kid.

PerryHog

Smith, freshman rb who redshirted this year, is on the hogs baseball roster.
Hope Stegall does well.

SportsHog

My thoughts exactly as well !!  I have had the pleasure of watching this kid play the last 2 yrs in High School, and his 9th grade as well ( of which, he lead his team to an undefeated season as well).....HE IS THE MOST EXCITING PLAYER I HAVE SEEN PERIOD, AND I HAVE SEEN MUSTAIN, WILLIAMS, MATT JONES, SHELLY, ETC..... that is in bold because he is that good and that exciting to watch.......one thing he will do for ASU, is bring fans to the stadium.....Yes, he will probably play for $$$ in baseball; but he will bring football revenue $$$$ to ASU.......

Daniel is a GREAT kid with all the smarts, confidense and ability to succeed.  I have been saying for a long time, that those in Greenwood have been really blessed, because in my opinion they have witnessed the QB play in the state....yes, i know that's saying alot !!  Lets see- - - -he took over starting spot (after split duty time) about mid way thru his Jr. Year.......what has he done over this last year and a half ...........

Undefeated at Home, playing in AAAA West with extended seasons the past 2 years....
25-3 as a starter, with 1 pt. loss to Poteau, OK; 1 point loss to Bentonville both away; and 2 pt loss on final play to Wynne in 05 in State championship game.....
Consecutive State Championship appearances.....
Won State Championship this year......
1000+ yd rushing; 2000 + yds passing in consecutive seasons....The only QB in Arkansas history to ever do this !!
Serves as Punter on the team and did great job in that role.....
Played Safety his Jr. Year, and in key situations this past year....

This does not even cover his awards that have come recently......My hats off to ASU....they have not only recruited Daneil, but other kids in this state as well.....they have commitments from kids from Northside, Batesville, Osceola, Morrilton and Montincello....they are in on the kicker from Charleston and on the running back from Springdale......

I like both schools, but really like what i see in ASU and appreciate them for giving our kids in Arkansas a chance to play D1 football in their home state......
I will go to football games there and hopefully will get to see Stegall play on this stage.......

He has been a pleasure (and a thrill) to watch....
Quote from: hogapalooza on January 10, 2006, 08:17:07 pm
Stegall is NO WAY in the same catergory of Slick.... Stegall is Heads and shoulders above him!

SMITE THIS!!

hogsanity

Well, again I ask, if he is sooooo goooood where are all the big time offers?  I am not knocking him, all i have seen are the hilights, but it kind of goes with most other Ar Sh Fb hometown heros.  We build them up into something they are not.  I hope he does well at ASU, but my gut tells me if he gets enough $$$$ thrown at him he will go play pro baseball, either way, I wish him well.

SportsHog

Hey, i agree.....that's why i don't post too much about how GREAT these kids are....I think and said that i believe Stegall will play pro baseball....he is a pitcher and a great hitter as well.....he has lots of interest from a few  MLB teams right now.....But, he is that good, and like i said, that exciting on the football field as well.....Where are all the offers ??  he had offers from all the military academies and from a few smaller colleges.....He had interest from many other larger D1 schools (A&M, who i thought offered; Nebraska, Alabama, etc)...

I imagine that like Arkansas, many of these schools did not want him to play baseball as well; especially as a pitcher...ASU has decided to give it a shot and given him the OK to do both........

I can't speak for him or his family, but i would imagine that this was the key factor in his decision, and in those colleges recruiting him...

nwarazfan

Irwin's dislike for ASU came through pretty clearly on the Mitch Mustain Show this morning.  I guess Irwin can't understand why anyone would choose to go to school in Jonesboro.

If we were going to offer a marginal QB out of Alabama, we should have offered a local kid as good as Stegall first.  At least he could make plays with his legs when Markuson's pass protection fails.

pfrg999

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 10, 2006, 10:32:55 am
You have to have a scholarship offer to turn it down and as of this moment Daniel Stegall does NOT have an offer from the Razorbacks.
They (Arkansas' coaches) have decided to offer an out-of-stater, with even less impressive stats than Stegall a full ride to the UofA.
Apparently they consider this kid to be the better of the two, since he played football in the great state of Alabama.
This kids choices are one of the service academies, or us.
Stegall has better overall statistics (more passing TD's and yardage from running the ball) and Daniel Stegall won a state championship this year and Greenwood finished runner up the year before.
This kids record this year was 7-3 and he had an offer from Vanderbilt "before" the season started, but when he failed to accept the offer prior to the kickoff of the football season the offer was pulled.
I just hope we're making the right decision where the offensive leader of our football team is concerned.

This Kid.... Has a offer from WEST Point.... Harvard, Yale and Princeston are wanting him.... Uhhh stats are not the be all end all....MJ's we not that impressive out of High School.... But Rhett Lashee's were remember him....  This kid has the size and brains...  so anyone on a 7-3 team is no good.... 

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: nwarazfan on January 11, 2006, 08:55:55 am
Irwin's dislike for ASU came through pretty clearly on the Mitch Mustain Show this morning. I guess Irwin can't understand why anyone would choose to go to school in Jonesboro.

If we were going to offer a marginal QB out of Alabama, we should have offered a local kid as good as Stegall first. At least he could make plays with his legs when Markuson's pass protection fails.

Well, I graduated from ASU, and I cant stand them either.

As for your second line about local and marginal kids that is why the Hogs roster is full of guys from Ar on scholarship who never see the field during games unless we are way ahead.  Usually, a so called marginal kid from Bama or GA or FL or TX is MUCH BETTER than the marginal kid from AR.  THere are of course exceptions, but top to bottom HS Fb in these other states is much better than in AR.  Not knocking the AR kids, but it is just a matter of population, these other states have more players and thus they will have more players who are good on each team. 

As for THe 2 here, Stegall from Ar and Williams fro Bama.  THeir stats are similar, but there is no fear that Williams will go play Baseball, so I can see why, on that alone, the Hogs would offer the Bama kid and not Stegall.

pfrg999

Quote from: SportsHog on January 11, 2006, 08:39:26 am
My thoughts exactly as well !! I have had the pleasure of watching this kid play the last 2 yrs in High School, and his 9th grade as well ( of which, he lead his team to an undefeated season as well).....HE IS THE MOST EXCITING PLAYER I HAVE SEEN PERIOD, AND I HAVE SEEN MUSTAIN, WILLIAMS, MATT JONES, SHELLY, ETC..... that is in bold because he is that good and that exciting to watch.......one thing he will do for ASU, is bring fans to the stadium.....Yes, he will probably play for $$$ in baseball; but he will bring football revenue $$$$ to ASU.......

Daniel is a GREAT kid with all the smarts, confidense and ability to succeed. I have been saying for a long time, that those in Greenwood have been really blessed, because in my opinion they have witnessed the QB play in the state....yes, i know that's saying alot !! Lets see- - - -he took over starting spot (after split duty time) about mid way thru his Jr. Year.......what has he done over this last year and a half ...........

Undefeated at Home, playing in AAAA West with extended seasons the past 2 years....
25-3 as a starter, with 1 pt. loss to Poteau, OK; 1 point loss to Bentonville both away; and 2 pt loss on final play to Wynne in 05 in State championship game.....
Consecutive State Championship appearances.....
Won State Championship this year......
1000+ yd rushing; 2000 + yds passing in consecutive seasons....The only QB in Arkansas history to ever do this !!
Serves as Punter on the team and did great job in that role.....
Played Safety his Jr. Year, and in key situations this past year....

This does not even cover his awards that have come recently......My hats off to ASU....they have not only recruited Daneil, but other kids in this state as well.....they have commitments from kids from Northside, Batesville, Osceola, Morrilton and Montincello....they are in on the kicker from Charleston and on the running back from Springdale......

I like both schools, but really like what i see in ASU and appreciate them for giving our kids in Arkansas a chance to play D1 football in their home state......
I will go to football games there and hopefully will get to see Stegall play on this stage.......

He has been a pleasure (and a thrill) to watch....
Quote from: hogapalooza on January 10, 2006, 08:17:07 pm
Stegall is NO WAY in the same catergory of Slick.... Stegall is Heads and shoulders above him!

SMITE THIS!!

ASU is great.... but how many bowl games have they been in thier exsistence..... 1....  they are usually a 4-7 ,5-6 team....I hope they all do great... But we recruit from everywhere and yes we miss some....

nwarazfan

He may never would see the field.  But if the chosen one doesn't come, we'll be down to 2 scholarship qb's and one of those may leave and probably should the way he has been treated by our fan base.  I prefer an in state kid if we are just signing a qb for emergency depth.

And a member of the media could at least show some unbias class towards them.  Part of the isolationism of this part of the state.

pfrg999

Quote from: nwarazfan on January 11, 2006, 09:09:06 am
He may never would see the field. But if the chosen one doesn't come, we'll be down to 2 scholarship qb's and one of those may leave and probably should the way he has been treated by our fan base. I prefer an in state kid if we are just signing a qb for emergency depth.

And a member of the media could at least show some unbias class towards them. Part of the isolationism of this part of the state.

I'll agree with the last Part.... Rhett Lashee had National Records, and a state Championship.... But never saw the field... (injuries cut that short)

hogsanity

He may never would see the field. But if the chosen one doesn't come, we'll be down to 2 scholarship qb's and one of those may leave and probably should the way he has been treated by our fan base. I prefer an in state kid if we are just signing a qb for emergency depth.

And a member of the media could at least show some unbias class towards them. Part of the isolationism of this part of the state.

If you are just signing a kid for an emergency, you DO NOT DO SO with a kid who may go play Baseball, then you are in real trouble.  Look what happened the year we signed Cole Barthel.  He took the baseball offer and we were sitting there holding the bag. 

As for ASU, when they start showing class, they will have earned the right to expect some in return.  ASU is a d1 fraud.  They have to play games to reach attendance numbers to stay in d1.  THe Sunbelt is a joke.  THeir conf champ a couple years ago was under .500.  Almost happened again this year. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2006, 09:24:46 am

If you are just signing a kid for an emergency, you DO NOT DO SO with a kid who may go play Baseball, then you are in real trouble. Look what happened the year we signed Cole Barthel. He took the baseball offer and we were sitting there holding the bag.

As for ASU, when they start showing class, they will have earned the right to expect some in return. ASU is a d1 fraud. They have to play games to reach attendance numbers to stay in d1. THe Sunbelt is a joke. THeir conf champ a couple years ago was under .500. Almost happened again this year.
What is making you so sure that Stegall will take a pro baseball offer besides your gut?  Or is it you are in favor of every decision the Nuttster makes?  And many schools across the country allow both football and baseball to be played in college: Tennessee with Todd Helton, Auburn with Sullivan until he chose baseball, Drew Henson at Michigan. 

hogsanity

Well, the fact that NO OTHER d1 school worth anything is on the kid tells me either they dont think he is that good, or that they dont think he is going to go to college. 

As for the names you listed, they are few and far between.  And what happened in all 3 cases, the FB team got burned by the guy choosing Baseball at some point in his career. One major problem is that basbeall is in full swing during Fb Spring practice.  Those are valuable reps for any QB.   

nwarazfan

And the QB from Bama has been offered by what other schools?

hogsanity

He was offered before the season by Vandy, but when he said he would wait they pulled the offer, but Vandy has no track record of recruiting good Qb's.  Oh wait Cutler will most likely be a first round pick.  He also was offered by Stanford and atleast one service acadamy.  Not only does he have some talent, he has brains too.  Harvard and Yale were mentioned as well. 

nwarazfan

So Stegall who was recruited by the academies doesn't have brains?  There is little difference between the two.  Both are part of the Nuttster's Plan C-things-are-about-to fall-apart recruiting class. 

hogsanity

No, the only differences in the 2 are the threat of Baseball with Stegall, and perhaps the level of competiton.  I dont know much about HS Fb in Bama, but i bet there AAAA is better than AR AAAA

pfrg999

Quote from: nwarazfan on January 11, 2006, 10:11:17 am
So Stegall who was recruited by the academies doesn't have brains? There is little difference between the two. Both are part of the Nuttster's Plan C-things-are-about-to fall-apart recruiting class.

Are you from Greenwood Man or what ??? Stegall I am sure is a Great smart player.... There are reasons you or I do not know.... There is a difference between smart and Yale smart....  But he was on a 7-3 team....MJ was on a 5-6 team... does that make him a Bad player... no... Give the Kid a chance if he comes

hoginator

I had the privilege to watch every Greenwood game this year (all the way to state), and I can assure you that ASU is getting a dandy. Daniel was not just a great quarterback, but an outstanding athlete. His ability went beyond just "handing the ball off"(he might have given RJ a run for his money on this one). He was used as the punter and sparingly on defense when needed. On one punt formation he chased and retrieved a ball that went over his head, ran to the sideline and booted it about 35 yards on the run. This guy was a gamebreaker and I often thought of Matt Jones while watching him turn a loss into a 53 yard touchdown. I think the thing that hurt him that's already been mentioned was not attending the numerous camps due to the injury. I will say that if he was given an opportunity to compete in "Gusspread", he would give them all a run for their money...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

hogsanity

IT is always like this with in state guys.  " why wont the hogs sign them, thay are good, just look at the numbers they put up, never mind that no other SEC school or anyone else for that matter is after them, we should sign them just because they are from AR"  However, recruit a kid from out of state, who is comparable, and its " why would we wnat that guy, he cant be any good, no one else is after him blah blah blah" 

pfrg999

Quote from: hoginator on January 11, 2006, 10:26:48 am
I had the privilege to watch every Greenwood game this year (all the way to state), and I can assure you that ASU is getting a dandy. Daniel was not just a great quarterback, but an outstanding athlete. His ability went beyond just "handing the ball off"(he might have given RJ a run for his money on this one). He was used as the punter and sparingly on defense when needed. On one punt formation he chased and retrieved a ball that went over his head, ran to the sideline and booted it about 35 yards on the run. This guy was a gamebreaker and I often thought of Matt Jones while watching him turn a loss into a 53 yard touchdown. I think the thing that hurt him that's already been mentioned was not attending the numerous camps due to the injury. I will say that if he was given an opportunity to compete in "Gusspread", he would give them all a run for their money...

Give him one and let's see.... I am just glad that they are finding other QB's

hoginator

I believe when all is said and done, a quarterback who is a true leader will emerge (and may already have) that will lead this team back to a championship. We shouldn't focus on who we lose or don't offer, we should rally around the ones we have and want to be Razorbacks...

Kicking Wing

Okay, I can't resist.  Hogsanity, you are a jerk.

Now, I am thrilled to get Stegall.  Playing at ASU will not harm him in anyway if he wants to play professionally in any sport and he will be playing for one of the best, honest young coaching staffs around.  Ever hear of Jake Delhomme?  Seems like he's starting in the NFL playoffs this weekend.

All teams miss on a significant number of players and Arkansas is one of them.  So is ASU.  However, ASU has done a freat job of evaluating talent in and out of state lately.  You can't tell me that most schools wouldn't love to have a guy like Josh Williams or Tyrell Johnson on their defense among others.  Likewise with Oren O'Neal, Tanner Jenkins, Matt Mandich, etc.  You all may not know these guys, but I guarantee that football coaches know about them.  Marcus Brown, VanDolah, Reggie Arnold, Matt Taylor, Zach Eichenberger, Ben Owens, and many others who weren't "big time" recruits are also waiting in the wings.

I honestly hope you guys recruit well and continue to pass over some of these talented in state kids because ASU will be happy to give them a chacne as they should.

I look forward to meeting some of you Greenwood folks next year along with the fans of our other NW AR recruits.  You'll be shocked when you see what ASU is doing if your only exposure is through message boards.

nwarazfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2006, 10:29:14 am
IT is always like this with in state guys. " why wont the hogs sign them, thay are good, just look at the numbers they put up, never mind that no other SEC school or anyone else for that matter is after them, we should sign them just because they are from AR" However, recruit a kid from out of state, who is comparable, and its " why would we wnat that guy, he cant be any good, no one else is after him blah blah blah"

Nice attempt at spin.  Its one thing to say that we should have offered Lashlee or Josh Floyd or Thrash from PA like some did just because they put up big numbers in Arkansas vs an out of state qb more highly recruited.  This is a case of two kids who are actually comparable by you own admission.  I have not said the qb from Alabama is not as good.  All things close to equal(which they appear in this case), I'd rather have an Ark kid.

hoginator

Quote from: nwarazfan on January 11, 2006, 11:02:36 am
Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2006, 10:29:14 am
IT is always like this with in state guys. " why wont the hogs sign them, thay are good, just look at the numbers they put up, never mind that no other SEC school or anyone else for that matter is after them, we should sign them just because they are from AR" However, recruit a kid from out of state, who is comparable, and its " why would we wnat that guy, he cant be any good, no one else is after him blah blah blah"

Nice attempt at spin. Its one thing to say that we should have offered Lashlee or Josh Floyd or Thrash from PA like some did just because they put up big numbers in Arkansas vs an out of state qb more highly recruited. This is a case of two kids who are actually comparable by you own admission. I have not said the qb from Alabama is not as good. All things close to equal(which they appear in this case), I'd rather have an Ark kid.

Amen.

hogsanity

HEy IF Stegall would say ' Sign me and I wont go play Baseball" then fine, but he wont so they wont offer, even if they wanted to. 

ANd all things are not equal.  We do not know what classification Carson played in. But we do know, IF he comes he wont run off to play baseball.  This and the injury that kept Stegall from camps really hurt him, imo.   

pfrg999

Quote from: Kicking Wing on January 11, 2006, 11:02:17 am
Okay, I can't resist. Hogsanity, you are a jerk.

Now, I am thrilled to get Stegall. Playing at ASU will not harm him in anyway if he wants to play professionally in any sport and he will be playing for one of the best, honest young coaching staffs around. Ever hear of Jake Delhomme? Seems like he's starting in the NFL playoffs this weekend.

All teams miss on a significant number of players and Arkansas is one of them. So is ASU. However, ASU has done a freat job of evaluating talent in and out of state lately. You can't tell me that most schools wouldn't love to have a guy like Josh Williams or Tyrell Johnson on their defense among others. Likewise with Oren O'Neal, Tanner Jenkins, Matt Mandich, etc. You all may not know these guys, but I guarantee that football coaches know about them. Marcus Brown, VanDolah, Reggie Arnold, Matt Taylor, Zach Eichenberger, Ben Owens, and many others who weren't "big time" recruits are also waiting in the wings.

I honestly hope you guys recruit well and continue to pass over some of these talented in state kids because ASU will be happy to give them a chacne as they should.

I look forward to meeting some of you Greenwood folks next year along with the fans of our other NW AR recruits. You'll be shocked when you see what ASU is doing if your only exposure is through message boards.

And they will have another 6-6 or 4-7 or another suppar year... Yes they went to a bowl... thier FIRST  Ever.....  BTW Lashee Walked-on ar UA and still never saw the field... I always root for ASU because they are from Arkansas... but blasting because you have all the UA kids... and we are turning noses up at the... DMAC, Monk, Madre, Cobbs, Norman, Cleveland and countless scores of othes are Ark boys that went to UA

Why didn't they go to ASU?   It's Pretty Clear... What the Sun Belt Conference...Like I said I like ASU... but stop the trash talking on how we Don't recruit In-State Kids...

We recruit in BEST in state kids.... Mustain or Stegall?  you decide