Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With all the guys that just transferred...

Started by HoneyNuttPetrinoos, August 25, 2016, 08:39:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

What does this do to this coming up class or the next one?  Can we sign 30 now or what?  Always get confused when something like this happens.  I know the 85 limit but not always know with walkons getting surprise Scolarships

ricepig

You can only sign 25/class, unless you have signed less than that number the previous year. The guys you sign over the 25 number must be eligible to enroll early, either a JUCO graduate or a high school graduate.

razorhog52

We signed 23 in the last class so wouldn't be suprised if we sign 27. Two that count back and 25.

ricepig

Quote from: razorhog52 on August 26, 2016, 06:52:24 am
We signed 23 in the last class so wouldn't be suprised if we sign 27. Two that count back and 25.

Our tendency has been to keep a couple, and I have no idea what the 85 number looks like for 2017.

AugustaHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 26, 2016, 06:56:00 am
Our tendency has been to keep a couple, and I have no idea what the 85 number looks like for 2017.
With where we are at right now (19), we'd be crazy not to use all 27.  For us to sensibly leave a couple on the table, we'd have to be at 23 again.  We can't get those two extras back if we don't use them.  Obviously, those newly opened schollies are going to be passed out to some walk-ons so that will count against the 85 and that may affect how many we are willing to take.  You just know there will be some natural attrition between NSD and May.  I can't fathom us not being able to find 8 more quality players between now and February.  The one question that I would have is: Can we sign 25 in Feb. (with at least 2 that come in mid-term), and still use #26 and #27 after NSD for somebody like Britto Tutt or Michael Taylor?  I just would hate to see us not get the benefit of all possible schollies.  You know our rivals are going to milk that system for everything it's worth.

JaketheSnake

Did any of the 23 count back?  That's where it gets tricky.

jjdlc

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 26, 2016, 07:46:15 am
With where we are at right now (19), we'd be crazy not to use all 27.  For us to sensibly leave a couple on the table, we'd have to be at 23 again.  We can't get those two extras back if we don't use them.  Obviously, those newly opened schollies are going to be passed out to some walk-ons so that will count against the 85 and that may affect how many we are willing to take.  You just know there will be some natural attrition between NSD and May.  I can't fathom us not being able to find 8 more quality players between now and February.  The one question that I would have is: Can we sign 25 in Feb. (with at least 2 that come in mid-term), and still use #26 and #27 after NSD for somebody like Britto Tutt or Michael Taylor?  I just would hate to see us not get the benefit of all possible schollies.  You know our rivals are going to milk that system for everything it's worth.

As long as we have some early enrollees, they can count back to last year, so even if we sign a full 25 on NSD, we could possibly still have a couple spares for those late finds.

Pulled(PP)pork

has coach ever signed 25 in a class?

PP

theFlyingHog

Do we have any walkons that could be candidates to get a scholly? Wouldn't be surprised to see one or two. And coach really seems to like having a couple available for transfers. He may have an eye out for a couple OM guys for when they get the death penalty. Seems like when a school dies the players not implicated get a free transfer with immediate eligibility.

factchecker

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 26, 2016, 08:14:46 am
Do we have any walkons that could be candidates to get a scholly?

I think Dylan Hays will end up with one. Maybe Tobias Enlow or Grant Morgan (Drew's brother) later on down the line.  Connor Limpert (kicker) will deserve one if he can help improve our kicking game.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

King Kong

I believe Johnny Gibson is still a walkon. I'm sure he will get a scholarship.

Reid Miller is probably in line for one next year.

jgphillips3

Has Ramsey been put back on scholarship?  I figure he and a few others that were walk on status earned a scholarship and I think we will sign a full 25.

ricepig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on August 26, 2016, 09:25:57 am
Has Ramsey been put back on scholarship?  I figure he and a few others that were walk on status earned a scholarship and I think we will sign a full 25.

Yes, he's on scholarship. Bret said the other day he was waiting to see if Taylor made it in on announcing who was getting these scholarships. Typically, you give them to Jr's and Sr's as they only count against the 85, freshman and sophomores count back against their recruiting class, so you have to have had room.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: jgphillips3 on August 26, 2016, 09:25:57 am

Please don't ever walk naively into V&R ...or politics unless you be a libby.....
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

jgphillips3

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on August 26, 2016, 12:37:01 pm
Please don't ever walk naively into V&R ...or politics unless you be a libby.....

Well, I am a Lib.....ertarian with conservative tendencies.  I avoid politics because fools with blind party allegiance tend to ruin everything.

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

so if someone transfers, we don't get to use the scholarship for next year? 

ricepig

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on August 26, 2016, 02:23:38 pm
so if someone transfers, we don't get to use the scholarship for next year? 

The scholarship will be used, in fact, they'll be used this year. Basically, you get to sign 25 players every year. If you only sign 24, you can sign 26 the next year, as long as that 1 is an early enrollees, either JUCO or high school graduate.

chenalhog

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 26, 2016, 07:46:15 am
neither does the coaching staff

Razinhail

Right now after everyone who has transferred out we have a total number of 81 scholarship players. We signed 22 for the 2016 class not 23. With only 17 seniors, the number of players we can sign for 2017 is 21. We may sign more if someone declares early or decides to transfer out before next year.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on August 25, 2016, 08:44:02 pm
You can only sign 25/class, unless you have signed less than that number the previous year. The guys you sign over the 25 number must be eligible to enroll early, either a JUCO graduate or a high school graduate.
I thought that wasn't the case under the new rules, that you could only sign 25 period.  the signees we have had that count back are late signees for the 2016 class.

In a way I think we are saying the same thing, but it has to do with what class they are counted in and it can never be more than 25 per class.

if we sign 20 in one year we cant sign 30 the next.  we can still only sign 25.  the exception being a late signee that is eligible for the previous class.  remember the feb. signing date is the earliest you can sign, not the latest.

an early enrollee still counts towards the class that they are eligible for, not the previous class.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ARtillahog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on August 26, 2016, 01:49:41 pm
Well, I am a Lib.....ertarian with conservative tendencies.  I avoid politics because fools with blind party allegiance tend to ruin everything.

my opinion of you is trending positively.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 26, 2016, 03:06:53 pm
I thought that wasn't the case under the new rules, that you could only sign 25 period.  the signees we have had that count back are late signees for the 2016 class.

In a way I think we are saying the same thing, but it has to do with what class they are counted in and it can never be more than 25 per class.

if we sign 20 in one year we cant sign 30 the next.  we can still only sign 25.  the exception being a late signee that is eligible for the previous class.  remember the feb. signing date is the earliest you can sign, not the latest.

an early enrollee still counts towards the class that they are eligible for, not the previous class.

Wrong, you can count back a certain number from the previous class. Jones signed around 30 at Tennessee his first full year because they had room to count back several early enrollees. You still have to be within the 85 number, but it's not against the rules.

PorkSoda

"In June 2011, the SEC presidents and chancellors unanimously passed a new conference rule that prohibits teams from signing more than 25 players to National Letter of Intent from December 1 through May 31"

but actually, after more research it looks like you are right on the early enrollees.  I was thinking it was only late enrollees that count back.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.