Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who was CBB talking about?

Started by greenie, August 22, 2016, 05:19:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greenie

August 22, 2016, 05:19:27 pm Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:30:46 pm by greenie
During his LR Touchdown Club speech today, while talking about the impact of the "Being Bret Bielema" show, he mentioned that after watching the show that a recruit currently committed to an "enemy" called him to say that maybe he needed to take closer look and that maybe he rushed to a quick decision.  He described this player as the #1 player on their board at that position.

Any ideas? 
Wild guesses: Austin Deculus OT committed to LSU or Jack Anderson OG committed to Texas Tech (although hard to classify TT as "enemy" outside of CBB's feelings for Kliff).
Chevin Calloway is committed to Iowa, so that's probably a stretch, too.

You can hear the comment I'm referring to at about 1:05:00 into the video.

colbs

I was wondering the same thing but have no idea.

theFlyingHog

Do we not have the janitor on payroll? He could tell us who the ones on the board are!

AugustaHog

Could it be the S that committed to LSU recently from Plaquemine?  He had us listed, albeit outside the top 3 at times.  He'd be a real long shot for sure.

theFlyingHog

Be pretty tough to figure out who it is. Top of CBB's board may not look anything like 24/7's rankings. I haven't kept up with numbers at positions on this class yet so don't know what we might be wanting to take at this point. A stud safety is always nice to have though!

CFB_Fanatic

This type of thing can really help recruiting.....unless you don't win. Then it backfires and your fanbase calls into the radio show and says "If coach would quit try into be a Hollywood star maybe he could win us some fooseball games!!"

Dominicanhog

RedyorNot

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 23, 2016, 12:41:48 am
Be pretty tough to figure out who it is. Top of CBB's board may not look anything like 24/7's rankings. I haven't kept up with numbers at positions on this class yet so don't know what we might be wanting to take at this point. A stud safety is always nice to have though!

Completely agree being most thought KJ Hill was on top of the WR board when it was actually D. Reed.

Pig in the Pokey

If it is Todd Harris, that would make sense. He was the #1 Safety on our board even over Montaric I believe. Would love for it to be a big ole beast of a lineman too though.

The TV show will do us wonders in recruiting I think. BB comes off as a very likeable guy but also as a hell of a football coach. There is no way that it doesn't help with both the kids and the mamas n papas.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

LRrazorback

Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 23, 2016, 07:02:53 am
I think it's Calloway

I think he said the player was committed to an enemy, I would say Iowa is not our enemy, an SEC team is more likely.

AugustaHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 23, 2016, 08:59:14 am
If it is Todd Harris, that would make sense. He was the #1 Safety on our board even over Montaric I believe. Would love for it to be a big ole beast of a lineman too though.

The TV show will do us wonders in recruiting I think. BB comes off as a very likeable guy but also as a hell of a football coach. There is no way that it doesn't help with both the kids and the mamas n papas.
I think it's great because he doesn't have to work to get to show this side.  There's always been a perception that we have to get past in recruiting, and once we do, we have success.  This show can help unveil what we have to the world and there's no denying there is something special.  If this gets kids to be more open-minded, visit campus, we will see recruiting be even better.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: LRrazorback on August 23, 2016, 09:01:26 am
I think he said the player was committed to an enemy, I would say Iowa is not our enemy, an SEC team is more likely.
yep. Although Texas Tech (or Texass) would qualify considering BB's deal with Klifford.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Dominicanhog

Quote from: LRrazorback on August 23, 2016, 09:01:26 am

yeah, bad call... missed that part.

secneahog

Enemy? Florida Gators.

Position? DT.  Juco guy.  Edwards.  Imo
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

jackflash

too many for me too guess, hope is a LB

greenie

Just for fun, here's a quick list of candidates taken from 247's list of offers we have out.  I'm sure there's plenty I missed and/or we don't know about. 

Toneil Carter, RB, Georgia
Tyrell Shavers, WR, Alabama
Kendrick James, TE, Alabama
Austin Deculus, OT, LSU
Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Austin Troxell, OT, Auburn
D'Antne Demery, OT, Georgia
Jack Anderson, OG, Texas Tech
Robert Beal, WDE, Georgia
William Poole III, CB, Georgia
Kary Vincent, CB, LSU
Derrick Tucker, S, aTm
Montrell Estell, Ath, Texas
Keldrick Carper, Ath, aTm

Peter Porker

My guess is Justin Thomas.

Don't think it's a JUCO guy. Sounds like someone that watched the show with his parents.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

goshog

Quote from: jackflash on August 23, 2016, 10:33:59 am
too many for me too guess, hope is a LB

We were on Josh Clarke, LB from New Orleans, pretty hard before he committed to Ole Miss

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Cassperr

Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on August 23, 2016, 11:09:27 am
I also hoping for josh Clarke
good guess, could be kendrick james, too.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 23, 2016, 12:20:33 pm
good guess, could be kendrick james, too.

James (committed to Bama) was my first thought. But, he is pretty familiar with UA, so he might not fit the profile.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

navyhog24

Don't get your hopes up on James. It's not happening.

RedyorNot

I'd be inclined to put UGA in the enemy box since Coach Smart poached Pittman and went after Enos too.

King Kong

Quote from: RedyorNot on August 24, 2016, 08:55:15 am
I'd be inclined to put UGA in the enemy box since Coach Smart poached Pittman and went after Enos too.

Yeah, but we don't really battle UGA that much in Recruiting

hawgwash

Quote from: King Kong on August 24, 2016, 08:58:09 am
Yeah, but we don't really battle UGA that much in Recruiting
Lost a commit to them last year.

greenie

Quote from: hawgwash on August 24, 2016, 09:49:25 am

Also stole one from them last year.

King Kong

August 24, 2016, 10:46:58 am #28 Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:45:26 pm by King Kong
Quote from: hawgwash on August 24, 2016, 09:49:25 am

No we didn't.

We lost a GA commitment to South Carolina. But nobody ever committed to us ended up at UGA from the 2016 signing class

Hawgvillain

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: King Kong on August 24, 2016, 10:46:58 am
No we didn't.

We lost a GA commitment to South Carolina. But nobody ever committed to us ended up a UGA from the 2016 signing class
this

hawgwash

My bad. I was thinking the Georgia HS receiver we had a commitment from switched to UGA. I'll stand corrected.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hawgwash on August 24, 2016, 06:14:33 pm
My bad. I was thinking the Georgia HS receiver we had a commitment from switched to UGA. I'll stand corrected.
we DID lose a recruiting battle to them of sorts with Whaley, He visited here, named us the leader, then committed to UGA. But we know how that ended. We won the rematch :)

GalaHawg

Peter Porker

Well, a certain DE in Alabama just followed our whole staff on twitter.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 25, 2016, 07:58:17 pm
who?

Peter Porker

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 25, 2016, 07:58:17 pm

Good find. It also helps that his HS teammate is very interested in us

Sir Oinksalot

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Richard Davenport

Prior to Coach B mentioning this, I communicated with a family member and was told the kid was still very much interested in Arkansas.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 25, 2016, 08:49:54 pm
The one I named. Justin Thomas.
Is that the young man that recently committed to LSU. The kid from Spanish Fort, Al?

HardingHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 26, 2016, 03:24:00 pm
Is that the young man that recently committed to LSU. The kid from Spanish Fort, Al?

That's him

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HardingHog on August 26, 2016, 03:27:11 pm
That's him
Thanks. I thought so. I would really to really like to have this kid as a commit based on some of the film I've seen; also doesn't hurt that he comes from what I think has to be one of the coolest named towns in the US. How could you not LOVE a name like Spanish Fort? Kinda like Moss Point, Ms. or Live Oak, Fl.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Richard Davenport on August 26, 2016, 02:11:06 pm
Prior to Coach B mentioning this, I communicated with a family member and was told the kid was still very much interested in Arkansas.
Well hello I was starting to wonder about you, hope all is well

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 26, 2016, 04:19:26 pm
Thanks. I thought so. I would really to really like to have this kid as a commit based on some of the film I've seen; also doesn't hurt that he comes from what I think has to be one of the coolest named towns in the US. How could you not LOVE a name like Spanish Fort? Kinda like Moss Point, Ms. or Live Oak, Fl.
It's one of those pretty cool places on the redneck riviera.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 26, 2016, 04:19:26 pm
Too bad that place is a dump

arlhog

Doesn't hurt that we have beaten them pretty soundly LSU last 2 years and LSU is one of the biggest underachievers  for the talent they have.   Don't look for either trend to change until they get decent qb play either.

jackflash

Hog N Bama

Quote from: arlhog on August 27, 2016, 11:22:11 am
Doesn't hurt that we have beaten them pretty soundly LSU last 2 years and LSU is one of the biggest underachievers  for the talent they have.   Don't look for either trend to change until they get decent qb play either.
Agree. Those that think Harris is going to turn the corner this year are nuts.

Hog N Bama