Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Augusta National_Ice Storm

Started by 95_alum, February 14, 2014, 10:37:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

Awww.....what a shame those poor elitest snobs have to deal with a little ice and snow damage to their trees.   :'( ;) They get zero sympathy from me.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

RazorPiggie

February 14, 2014, 01:39:01 pm #2 Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:33:25 pm by RazorPiggie (Matt D)
Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 14, 2014, 12:42:52 pm
Awww.....what a shame those poor elitest snobs have to deal with a little ice and snow damage to their trees.   :'( ;) They get zero sympathy from me.

Well considering the Masters is my favorite golf tourney of the year I hope the course can recover from this in time. I bet they have a lot of trees down, hopefully it doesn't take away from its beauty. While I love your avatar, your comment is ignorant, imo.

JHESTER

They have the money available to make it look like nothing happened. 

oldman1015

be glad i'm not a mod.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

jfan01

Surely you realize that many people look at you the same way, an elitist snob, just because you play golf.  Your comment is incredibly ignorant and short-sighted.

95_alum

Snobs? My experience with Augusta when I played there in 2010: there were no snobs. Security, valets, receptionest, wait staff, members, other guests, caddies, caddie supervisors, course security, pro shop... you name it, no snobs- ZERO.
More like: warm, friendly, gracious, helpful, courteous.
Snobs, really? Wow.

GolfNut57

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on February 14, 2014, 01:39:01 pm
Well considering the Masters is my favorite golf tourney of the year I hope the course can recover from this in time. I bet they have a lot of trees down, hopefully it doesn't take away from its beauty. While I love your avatar, your comment is ignorant, imo.

Quote from: jfan01 on February 14, 2014, 03:13:27 pm
Surely you realize that many people look at you the same way, an elitist snob, just because you play golf.  Your comment is incredibly ignorant and short-sighted.

Sorry, wasn't trying to offend the fans of the Masters but it just irks me that if you attend a Masters tourney you aren't allowed to get anywhere near the clubhouse just to take a pic of the historic place. Heck, when you do attend you are herded into pre-planned areas like a bunch of unwanted sheep. I find that demeaning as heck. But each to their own.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: oldman1015 on February 14, 2014, 02:55:20 pm
be glad i'm not a mod.

Yeah, because my comment was just unforgivably mean spirited and bad huh? Lighten up Francis.

GolfNut57

Quote from: 95_alum on February 14, 2014, 04:39:25 pm
Snobs? My experience with Augusta when I played there in 2010: there were no snobs. Security, valets, receptionest, wait staff, members, other guests, caddies, caddie supervisors, course security, pro shop... you name it, no snobs- ZERO.
More like: warm, friendly, gracious, helpful, courteous.
Snobs, really? Wow.

Really? I am going to believe that if you were granted the privilege of playing Augusta National then there was no way anyone was going to act like a snob towards you. You were considered a VIP and you were only going to see the best side of those you worked with.

PonderinHog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 14, 2014, 09:41:02 pm
Sorry, wasn't trying to offend the fans of the Masters but it just irks me that if you attend a Masters tourney you aren't allowed to get anywhere near the clubhouse just to take a pic of the historic place. Heck, when you do attend you are herded into pre-planned areas like a bunch of unwanted sheep. I find that demeaning as heck. But each to their own.
But to each his own.

Sincerely,

Elitist GrammerSnob

(Sorry, man, I couldn't resist.)

GolfNut57

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 14, 2014, 09:47:35 pm
But to each his own.

Sincerely,

Elitist GrammerSnob

(Sorry, man, I couldn't resist.)

Funny how no matter which way you express it, it still means the exact same thing.  8)

95_alum

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 14, 2014, 09:45:49 pm
Really? I am going to believe that if you were granted the privilege of playing Augusta National then there was no way anyone was going to act like a snob towards you. You were considered a VIP and you were only going to see the best side of those you worked with.

On the contrary. Think of the members as guests. 1 year, 10 years, whatever. They are there at the discretion of the club. Act like a snob, D-bag etc. & you won't be seein' an invite come the following year. Pretty simple. Same goes with the staff.

jbcarol

WRDW-TV News 12 ‏@WRDW  18h
We're hearing reports of damage to the water tower on Washington Road. Please avoid the area. Photo's from a viewer. pic.twitter.com/aQ9EXqEGHO

WRDW-TV News 12 ‏@WRDW  18h
We're on the air right now with the latest on the 4.4 magnitude earthquake that shook the Augusta area. pic.twitter.com/KBUDH22thy
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

95_alum

WTH?!! What's next? Frogs? Locusts?  :o

KCRazorbackfan

GN57, I've usually agreed in the past with what you've said, applauded you many times, can recall ever smiting you; this I'm going to have to call a foul on - snobs they may be, not saying they are or aren't, but don't wish something bad on any course.  Not going to smite you, just think you had a major brain fart.
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

GolfNut57

Quote from: KCRazorbackfan on February 15, 2014, 06:07:36 pm
GN57, I've usually agreed in the past with what you've said, applauded you many times, can recall ever smiting you; this I'm going to have to call a foul on - snobs they may be, not saying they are or aren't, but don't wish something bad on any course.  Not going to smite you, just think you had a major brain fart.

Well I wasn't wishing anything bad on them. Just stated they get no sympathy from me is all. As another poster said already. They have the money to fix whatever needs it.

GoHogs1091

They probably have their greens covered, so the ice probably never made it to the greens.

I have seen a picture from a few summers ago, and they had 1 of their greens covered during that summer to keep the heat off the green.

I don't know if they have ever experienced this type of storm this close to the Tournament.  A few years ago, there was a tremendous amount of rain not too long before the Tournament, and Rae's Creek flooded, which caused some problems for them.  They were able to get that fixed/corrected before the Tournament.

If any trees were actually knocked down because of this ice storm, hopefully those trees over on the right hand side of the fairway on Hole 11 that they planted in the early part of the 2000s were knocked over.  If they were, they would probably just replant them.  That hole would be better without those trees that they planted over on the right side of the fairway.

Here is an interesting graphic that shows the course changes over time.  You can click on the graphic to zoom in on the graphic (click on the graphic 3 times to zoom it in so that it can be read), and you can click and hold to pan/slide to different parts of the graphic once you have it zoomed in where it can be read.

http://www.historyshots.com/augusta/

Here is an extensive article that goes into very detailed discussion regarding the changes over time to the course.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/wexler-daniel-augusta/

jbcarol

Eisenhower Tree at Augusta National Golf Club finally removed because of damage from ice storm

Quote"Like so many of our family, friends and neighbors in this community, Augusta National Golf Club has been busy cleaning up after the historic ice storm last week,'' Payne said in the press release from the club. "Everyone affected remains in our hearts and prayers, and we likewise hope for a speedy and complete recovery for all.

"The loss of the Eisenhower Tree is difficult news to accept. We obtained opinions from the best arborists available and, unfortunately, were advised that no recovery was possible. We have begun deliberations of the best way to address the future of the 17th hole and to pay tribute to this iconic symbol of our history -- rest assured, we will do both appropriately.''

"I can report that the golf course sustained no major damage otherwise,'' Payne said. "We are now open for member play and we will be unaffected in our preparations for the 2014 Masters Tournament.''

AP
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

GoHogs1091

Quote from: jbcarol on February 16, 2014, 06:08:19 pm
Eisenhower Tree at Augusta National Golf Club finally removed because of damage from ice storm

President Dwight Eisenhower wanted the tree removed back in the 1950s.  In a 1956 Club Meeting Eisenhower proposed that it be removed, and Clifford Roberts (Club Chairman and Club Co-Founder) promptly told Eisenhower that he was out of line, and Roberts abruptly adjourned the meeting.

In another article about it that I read, it stated that there are rumors that the Club a while back had found a pine tree off site that they have picked out to be a replacement (thinking at some point that they would lose the Eisenhower Tree).  If that is indeed true, that is provided that the replacement pine tree they have pre-picked out survived the ice storm.

KCRazorbackfan

Bubba made a statement to the effect that it was of no concern to him because it never came into play for him, that he flew the ball way over it; Eldrick, however, hit the tree several years ago and injured himself hitting from the pine straw below the tree - hack.
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

95_alum

Terrible.
http://m.chronicle.augusta.com/node/574068/photos

I'm beginning to wonder if the Big Oak suffered damage as well.

Iwastherein1969

The long Grey line will never fail our country.

jbcarol

Josh Kendall ‏@JoshatTheState ·4 hrs
Adam Scott planning Masters champ dinner: "Going to be an Australian theme. Whether that means they're eating kangaroo, we'll see."

razorduck9

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 14, 2014, 09:41:02 pm

Total post is full of wrong here too by way... Have you ever been to a competitive or practice round at Augusta? 

Arky

Concessions are pretty cheap too.

hog golf

was treated with nothing but courtesy during my only visit last year for a practice round. concessions were cheap and good, and the beer was unusually cold. kids in the restrooms were even nice. i found everything was done to make your experience there very nice. parking was free. can you imagine NOT charging 10-12 dollars per car to park at 25-30k cars/day?
wish i would have hit the lottery again this year.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

catfish07

Quote from: hog golf on February 19, 2014, 12:35:55 pm
was treated with nothing but courtesy during my only visit last year for a practice round. concessions were cheap and good, and the beer was unusually cold. kids in the restrooms were even nice. i found everything was done to make your experience there very nice. parking was free. can you imagine NOT charging 10-12 dollars per car to park at 25-30k cars/day?
wish i would have hit the lottery again this year.

Loved my trip last year and look forward to going again this year for the Par 3 contest/Practice Round. A complete "How To" on treating patrons like honored guests and not a chair #.

The only place I was "herded" was out of a fairway while I gawked and the players needed to hit .
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

root_hawg

Been once; loved it...would go again but the walking is a little tough on me